• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Browny

Smash Hater
im pretty sure all of sonics KO moves except maybe fsmash will kill ealier since there is a noticeable weight difference. dair spike shouldnt really count, since you can d-air semi spike falco and edgehog for a cheap ko too lol (or spring :p)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
It's okay if we can place it right, but otherwise it's... mediocre, I should say.

Anyway I would go ahead and say some stuff, but I'm going to be going to a tournament tomorrow, and SK92 is suppose to be the best Falco in the U.S., I'm gonna ask him if I can get some friendlies in with my Sonic. He lives in Vegas FYI.

If I see anything problematic, I'll know that it will be with Falco's fullest potential, and I don't want to brag, but I think I do okay as a Sonike player.

Also about the FTilt clanging with Falco's Jab Napi, I don't think that will work just because Falco can just use his reflector to push you away and add a little bit of extra damage on you.

Also just because you have a Spring doesn't mean you will be getting out of the CG. If the Falco is good at reading you, he will just jump to Dair you to set you back to square one... if he does read this right you probably want to techroll away from Falco.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Except Maybe Fsmash will kill earlier? You mean kill later? o_O F-smash is our strongest killing move... lol...

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I've faced a couple of decent sonics, and I think it's 60:40 Falco's favor. Falco's camp game is pretty gimped due to the fact that Sonic can close the gap instantly.

On the ground I think they go even. Sonic has the speed and can easily get around to Falco's weak points, but Falco has SHL, reflector, Ftilt, and short hopped bairs to keep Sonic spaced.

At short hop height I think Falco wins, due to his ability to utiltize Nair, Bair OR fair as the situation needs. Sonic wins out at full hop and above, simply due to his greater mobilty and pillaring abilities.

Sonic wins the off stage game, but he's going to have trouble GETTING Falco off stage due to his lack of killing ability and Falco's great spacing game. Falco will probably be consistently killing Sonic at lower percentages.
Considering Falco can go SH height freely because we haven't really got a tool to contain him to the ground..

Correct.

:093:

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
When I said Falco will be killing at lower percentages, I was referring to Sonic having difficulty landing a kill move on Falco, whereas Falco has a couple of (admittedly not great) options for killing Sonic. (Fsmash, bair, dair)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Dair won't really be killing Sonic, the Spring is going to regain the altitude lost by the knockback we recieve from Dair. If you don't outright kill Sonic, it's almost guaranteeed he is coming back someway or another.

Carbonated

Smash Cadet
When I said Falco will be killing at lower percentages, I was referring to Sonic having difficulty landing a kill move on Falco, whereas Falco has a couple of (admittedly not great) options for killing Sonic. (Fsmash, bair, dair)
I find it funny when they spot dodge early and you get in a Fsmash. I have trouble spiking sonic for some reason. Thing is, even if you get the spike, if it doesn't spike him off stage bounderies, he can easily recover.

And it isn't really that hard to land a kill move on falco, other than his Fsmash

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
It isn't really that hard to land a kill move on falco, other than his Fsmash
He's right, for example if the Falco likes to retreat with rolls, it isn't hard to punish that. FSmash comes out somewhat fast, DSmash covers a lot of ground, and those are just two ways to punish predictable rolls.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I was getting daired offstage at over 125% earlier and was still surviving.
It's not really an option fellas.
Falco's fsmash is broken >_>

:093:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Falco's FSmash covers a lot of horizontal range, and even hits behind him, but if he hits you at the tip, it won't kill let alone push you far.

There's enough lag in his FSmash to punish him with a grab.

Some thing with USmash, only difference is... eh well you should know.

Carbonated

Smash Cadet
Falco's FSmash covers a lot of horizontal range, and even hits behind him, but if he hits you at the tip, it won't kill let alone push you far.

There's enough lag in his FSmash to punish him with a grab.

Some thing with USmash, only difference is... eh well you should know.
I usually don't use Fsmash that much. Most my kills are Bair's. And both Falco's and Sonic's Fsmash are about the same in terms of lag.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I just saying, but yeah you understand then that FSmashes won't be used unless it's almost certain it's going to hit.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Hmm, but Bair has to be timed so perfectly to get the full knockback, and its so often staled. The nature of Sonics recovery makes it particularly difficulto land bairs effectively against him offstage. Most of my deaths against falcos are from fsmashes or occasional Usmashes

Carbonated

Smash Cadet
Hmm, but Bair has to be timed so perfectly to get the full knockback, and its so often staled. The nature of Sonics recovery makes it particularly difficulto land bairs effectively against him offstage. Most of my deaths against falcos are from fsmashes or occasional Usmashes
Was talking about SH Bair. And yea, it is hard to hit sonic while he is recovering.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
You know, I think we've covered about 85% of Falco in this short amonut of time.

But really, I'm making this post to let you know that after Falco we get to work on the King, and then after that it's the most epic guy in Brawl... so epic, he had to nerf himself down to bottom of the tier list because his true awesomeness can't be captured in Brawl.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
You know, I think we've covered about 85% of Falco in this short amonut of time.

But really, I'm making this post to let you know that after Falco we get to work on the King, and then after that it's the most epic guy in Brawl... so epic, he had to nerf himself down to bottom of the tier list because his true awesomeness can't be captured in Brawl.
You mean Chuck Norris?

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Trick I use as Falco: retreat to the other side of the stage and turnaround Phantasm trough him (Use side-B forward, but before animation, tap it to the other side). It's hilarious how many Sonics fall for this, since you don't want him to be on the other side, so you'll run after him. Best option is to Spinshot follow

Tenki

Smash Hero
Trick I use as Falco: retreat to the other side of the stage and turnaround Phantasm trough him (Use side-B forward, but before animation, tap it to the other side). It's hilarious how many Sonics fall for this, since you don't want him to be on the other side, so you'll run after him. Best option is to Spinshot follow
That sounds like a wifi trick lol.

I'd probably just shield and punish your ending lag. Or if you try to pull it off more than once, I'll walk so I'll end up closer to your ending spot after I shield it `.`;

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Not really. If you watch Keitaro he primarily uses the SHDL n characters that he knows it will be effective on or when they are in the air. Otherwise, he just uses a SHL which is easily blockable. Hell with Sonic, we have the nice option of actually being able to dash due to our side B cancel ability.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Not really. If you watch Keitaro he primarily uses the SHDL n characters that he knows it will be effective on or when they are in the air. Otherwise, he just uses a SHL which is easily blockable. Hell with Sonic, we have the nice option of actually being able to dash due to our side B cancel ability.
Exactly :3

it's a nice anti-aerial movement but vs a grounded opponent, I'd be more worried about standing laser spam than SHDL.

So... F-smashing/B-airing Falco out of illusion is pretty cool.
----------------

Question, Falco's N-air --> U-tilt

.__.;?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
you ar supposed to SHDL every time because if they are afraid of getting hit by the ground laser they jump and than get hit by two lasers, setting you up for a grab, or gattling combo or some mess like that
the first laser is only there to limit their options

Tenki

Smash Hero
Falco's U-tilt is pretty good, I think :l

Oh yeah, how about counterpick stages?

P.S. I just noticed my sig was cut off lol, although its not a huge difference. Anyone know what the vertical pixel max is for sigs?
I just did a print-screen>Paint, 127-128 pixels

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
yo momma...

always CP lylat

its terribad for falco, and all the spacies for that matter.
also any thing that doesnt have a completely level surface.
green greens and corneria come to mind
RC can work as well

darkNES386

Smash Lord
lol everyone knows about that video .__.;

This one would have been nice to support the "loljunglejapes" though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pSfM23uUnQ
Tenki... does this guy even play as Sonic? Okay if a falco takes you to jungle japes and you're standing on a high platform... you run and fall to the lower middle... you don't jump like an idiot into more lasers.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I actually think that Lylat is a really bad Sonic level :\
Or maybe I'm just awful on it.

Falco suffers more on it I guess.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Tenki... does this guy even play as Sonic? Okay if a falco takes you to jungle japes and you're standing on a high platform... you run and fall to the lower middle... you don't jump like an idiot into more lasers.
:laugh:

lol

if you found out who that was...

:[

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I actually think that Lylat is a really bad Sonic level :\
Or maybe I'm just awful on it.

Falco suffers more on it I guess.
I think lylat is one of Sonics best XD. Sonic doesn't lose anything, but most of his opponents do.

I think its really playstyle dependent on the Sonic though, like some Sonics hate BF, others love it.

If you're Uair, Hyphen Smash/DAC, Nair and gimp heavy, then lylat will probably be awesome for you.

Top Bottom