• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
I dont mind battlefield, it lets me be tricky with platforms. Granted I prefer T&C and the likes, I dont mind if my opponent tries to counter to BF.

:059:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Apex officially canceled tournaments for today. Crew and I canceled our hotel room...

:/

That was always part of the fun for me, but oh well... We'll just be driving to and fro now. Hopefully things pan out for the weekend.

As far as Battlefield, I applaud Orochi for remembering my devotion to it in Brawl, but I actually dislike Sonic on BF now in this game... With our landing options and approaches being even worse, I think BF is actually really poor for him.

:093:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Oh, right, ASCSC in BF was kinda awesome back then but in Sm4sh we can activate some mechanics even sooner with the platforms!

Too bad it's BSBS.
Yup.

You heard it hear first, folks. Cam officially dislikes Battlefield for Sonic now!
btw, didn't they find another place to host the event? http://twitter.com/xD1x/status/561220815635886080
They did, but it's a whole fiasco.

Events are canceled for the day and they're trying to transport equipment to the new venue. They also want to try to arrange a shuttle service from the old hotel to the new venue for everyone there.

The new venue is 40 minutes away from the old venue... And an hour from where I live. Makes no sense for me to go to that hotel anymore, despite how much I wanted to hang out with and meet everyone.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I actually don't mind Battlefield now. Lylat will forever suck though.
Just don't downB like a moron and you're good. :applejack:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I actually don't mind Battlefield now. Lylat will forever suck though.
Just don't downB like a moron and you're good. :applejack:
I don't like Lylat now because for some reason the stage decides to treat you as airborne and stop your running if it's bobbing and you go from the mid-section to the outer parts. It didn't do that in Brawl; so, why now?

Wii Fit Trainer. What do. She's so weird and even MORE troll than Sonic.
Become the ball.

And slam dunk him/her/it/potato.

Right in the face.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I thought that was just a cute little snippit with Lucario specifically. Can other characters do that?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Maybe. Probably depends on their aerial move speed.
Sonic's been able to do it since Brawl though. Remember SCROD? Or Wario's ability to move offstage then land back on it without double jumping?

Same concept as Lylat's edges. :applejack:

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sorry guys.

Brief recap: Took 4th in my pools. Lost to JMiller and a ZSS... Two characters I don't have enough experience with. I actually bopped the Sheiks in my pool. I was so close to winning my set against ZSS but it's rough when you're learning the match-up as you're playing it. I also played GCFox who apparently uses Puff and I think knows Scourge (NoR4U), but I won that set and talked to him afterwards. Seemed like a really nice guy.

JMiller knew two Sonics would be in his pool, and had Ixis to train him in that match-up, so god knows he grinded it out whereas I had a very short training session with Jtails.

I started the set like, really clean and then it's like he just suddenly remembered how to win and shut me down. I didn't know how to respond.

tl;dr I wish I had more match-up experience. Thanks for your support though and I wish I could've done better.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Finding that out only made me saltier.

Like, literally everyone I was with made 3rd or 4th in their pools. Such ass.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'm more impressed with Abadango's Pac Man. I must learn from this wonderful human being. :applejack:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
sonic vs rosa/shiek looked laaaame

6wx had mixups for days though, them brawl sonic mixups and adaption. (:

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Pac-Man is so hype. Been wanting to see someone take him somewhere!

Congratulations to 6WX though for taking 4th. When I saw he had to face Dabuz I knew it was over :/ He still did far better than I expected, hot damn. Rosaluma is a horrendous match-up, and even if he had found a way around it, Dabuz was sitting on Olimar... Sonic's OTHER god awful match-up. It was a very similar story the last time he had to face Dabuz.

I'm on that PPMD hype right now though HOLY **** YES

Also feeling a little less salty because it was always top 2 advancing from pools for Sm4sh singles. Only way it would've been top 4 is if there had been less than 500 entrants.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Question: What would people here appreciate more:

A semi-maintained matchup thread or research done for Sonic's kill moves?

I'm only going to do one, and I wanted to wait until after Apex concluded. Turns out, I can't do both in the immediate future because of girlfriend and work; but, I still want to help contribute to Sonic's metagame; and both seem to be of high priority.

I'm only going to hold this informal poll until I get back from my tournament saturday.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I reached out to Kinzer recently and asked him to pioneer the match-up thread. I think that's what we desperately need the most.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Sorry guys.

Brief recap: Took 4th in my pools. Lost to JMiller and a ZSS... Two characters I don't have enough experience with. I actually bopped the Sheiks in my pool. I was so close to winning my set against ZSS but it's rough when you're learning the match-up as you're playing it. I also played GCFox who apparently uses Puff and I think knows Scourge (NoR4U), but I won that set and talked to him afterwards. Seemed like a really nice guy.

JMiller knew two Sonics would be in his pool, and had Ixis to train him in that match-up, so god knows he grinded it out whereas I had a very short training session with Jtails.

I started the set like, really clean and then it's like he just suddenly remembered how to win and shut me down. I didn't know how to respond.

tl;dr I wish I had more match-up experience. Thanks for your support though and I wish I could've done better.

luigi vs sonic is not fun. shielding his fireballs somehow locks you in shieldstun, and oc stops spindash charge. Add that to his fast frame data and aerials and chaingrab/followups, and you've definitely got one of sonic's harder matchups. Congratulations on doing performance!(: They'll be more opportunities

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
sonic vs luigi i feel is definitely not one of our harder MUs. if luigi is fishing for dash grabs just bait them by shielding fireball and then mash jab. as grabs no longer have armor you'll break out. once we get luigi off stage he should in most cases lose a stock or be put in a very bad situation. And while luigi may indeed win the neutral thanks to his better frame data. we can basically out space him with ftilt and bait out his nair off a combo string such as spin dash uair or simple bait nair after an uthrow and punish.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
**** shielding the fireball. Get right outside the range he can dash before getting a shield up. Then check that area with ftilt. If he dashes he'll get hit since he can't shield and if he fireballs you'll check it. Then watch him. If he dashes he can't shield and you should be able to side b through grab or attack which are his only options at that range. If he walks you have to make a call.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Dang it... i dont care about matchups. The character is godlike now, who cares about matchups. I need to know when these moves kill now

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Dang it... i dont care about matchups. The character is godlike now, who cares about matchups. I need to know when these moves kill now
I understand your frustration, but:

luigi vs sonic is not fun. shielding his fireballs somehow locks you in shieldstun, and oc stops spindash charge. Add that to his fast frame data and aerials and chaingrab/followups, and you've definitely got one of sonic's harder matchups. Congratulations on doing performance!(: They'll be more opportunities
sonic vs luigi i feel is definitely not one of our harder MUs. if luigi is fishing for dash grabs just bait them by shielding fireball and then mash jab. as grabs no longer have armor you'll break out. once we get luigi off stage he should in most cases lose a stock or be put in a very bad situation. And while luigi may indeed win the neutral thanks to his better frame data. we can basically out space him with ftilt and bait out his nair off a combo string such as spin dash uair or simple bait nair after an uthrow and punish.
This is the reason we sort of need to come to a consensus on these sorts of things. Sonic may have changed a lot; but, one thing that's carried over is the diversity of his playerbase and the inability to unanimously agree on any one thing.

Not that I myself am advocating a matchup thread over a data thread. I am but a humble servant of the community and work only towards what is requested most.

edit:

Matchup thread by far. With a good video section. Yeah!
That's quite the monumental task; given that I only have so much video footage to work with. Assuming I do end up making the MU thread, I'm going to need the Sonic community to post adaquete videos that can display the matchups played at their best from both parties. I can't be having any one-sided/non-educating videos. I accept nothing less than the highest quality for my thread. Call it the Kinzer seal of approval, if you must.

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
You make it sound like the Sonic's are unique in not agreeing with one another. :applejack:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I disagree with a lot of this.

Shielding fireball and mashing jab is a terrible idea. Any Luigi with half a brain is the one doing the baiting in this situation. Luigi wins in neutral, plain and simple. Fireball isn't amazing, but it's definitely better and you have to just find ways around it. His jab is better, his fireball is better, etc. He's going to force approach and try to shut us out with PP Jab, grab, and all that fun stuff. His nair not only interrupts our combos, but can kill. He has mad priority on his aerials overall too, and the fact that he gets such free damage and set-ups out of his dthrow makes him so much more dangerous from Brawl.

Trying to outspace and bait him is a chore, and I also hate using the word "bait" in match-up discussion because that's a player by player basis and "mindgames" can't really be discussed in this context. Sonic obviously has a lot of baiting tools, but Luigi has a lot of options to cover them.

Granted, all the other Luigi's I faced prior to JMiller didn't give me too much trouble, he really demonstrated on both myself and Manny how that match-up is played. I think it's certainly winnable, but it's a trial.
Sonic is good but like… Terry and I were just recently having a discussion about how Sonic may be the worst "top 5" character ever lol. What top tier characters does Sonic handily beat? He has a decent MU with Diddy and debatably Sheik (most agree she's bad for us), and he still gets wrecked by Lolimar, Lucario, and Rosaluma is absolute nonsense…

Outside of them fixing his KO potential/power, he suffers even worse fundamentally from his prior weaknesses, being his awful approach and landing options.

Sonic is good, but it doesn't really mean **** if you still don't know match-ups, and when it's this early in the game, that's something we're all trying to figure out (especially myself apparently).

I'm not saying that any of these match-ups are completely out of Sonic's favor, but right now they're ones we commonly struggle with, and now is the time to learn and see how true it holds up. Luigi is giving more than just myself trouble, so we'll keep grinding it out and see in time how it plays out.
I met @ Camalange Camalange in APEX :3 Now that I think about it, we didn't get a chance to play D: Ah well at least I gave you some coaching while on stream :smirk:
We did not :/ But thanks man I tried my best gomenasai >.>
That's quite the monumental task; given that I only have so much video footage to work with. Assuming I do end up making the MU thread, I'm going to need the Sonic community to post adaquete videos that can display the matchups played at their best from both parties. I can't be having any one-sided/non-educating videos. I accept nothing less than the highest quality for my thread. Call it the Kinzer seal of approval, if you must.
I don't think videos are as important. We have the video archive already. Detailed write-ups and heated debate should be taking the forefront. Otherwise, we'll have too many "Well I beat THIS player and look at how good I am here" type of posts and it's like okay that's a player problem not a match-up problem. Basing off experience is fine but unless there's a really solid video that demonstrates strengths and weaknesses in the match-up, then they're unnecessary imo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom