• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Impressions. Matches, FAQ/Guide - Updated with vids! (34+ matches)

SonicTHP

Smash Cadet
NNID
SonicTHP
3DS FC
4897-6845-2284
I'm not sure I saw anyone mention, that Sonic's side B can be cancelled before being fully charged by shielding, allowing him to roll, grab, dodge or whatever. It only works before he finishes pulling back. Haven't quite found a use for it, but knowledge is knowledge.

I've also used Sonic's utilt as a followup for a late hitting dash attack at moderate damages. Since the dash attack seems to pop them up only slightly, if you hit near the end, Sonic comes out of the attack with the opponent just floating right around where you would want them for a usmash or utilt. It depends on DI and placement though...

A more situation thing I found was that Sonic's nair has enough knockback to push Snake off of his cypher when recovering. for a faster alternatice to using a bair.

Also, I find that I have a decently hard time going against Pikachu and Kirby with Sonic. Anyone have any ideas of how to fight them effectively?

Damax

Smash Lord
I'm not sure I saw anyone mention, that Sonic's side B can be cancelled before being fully charged by shielding, allowing him to roll, grab, dodge or whatever. It only works before he finishes pulling back. Haven't quite found a use for it, but knowledge is knowledge.

I've also used Sonic's utilt as a followup for a late hitting dash attack at moderate damages. Since the dash attack seems to pop them up only slightly, if you hit near the end, Sonic comes out of the attack with the opponent just floating right around where you would want them for a usmash or utilt. It depends on DI and placement though...

A more situation thing I found was that Sonic's nair has enough knockback to push Snake off of his cypher when recovering. for a faster alternatice to using a bair.

Also, I find that I have a decently hard time going against Pikachu and Kirby with Sonic. Anyone have any ideas of how to fight them effectively?
keep pikachu in the air, and kirby on the ground? kill them?

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
THP, you can just grab Snake's up-b spinner and he'll fall and die. There's no need to attack him directly.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
You used to not be the fattest of all kids... But then you discovered Twinkies and Oreos and it was all down hill from there... oh what a sad, sad story...

pvpischke

Smash Rookie
Hey like your thread, need some help on edge guarding though, for some reason i cant figure it out.
Really would like some help with that.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
ya, the side b is probobly sonics highest priority attack, but still i have definatly been hit out of it wth a lot fo moves. i think even game and watches key nailed (yes i was on the pre-peak initial hop)

so there are no invinvibility frames on that attacks.

sonics spin dash attacks have pretty high priority actually. If game and watch hits a direct downb spin dash with his Fsmash(the match) it it stops both attacks. but then if u hit ur nutral A fast enuff with sonic you can attack first and knock GaW a bit away.

marths >B takes priority over spin dash completely.

Kel

Smash Master
I saw somewhere that air dodging and fair increase your distance from Up B.

I just played around with it. It's definitely true. In addition, Fair sends you the farthest. AND the more fairs I did, the farther I went. It's really not that big of a difference, but it's still a difference. It's about the distance from the inside tip of the middle FD diamond to the inside tip of the second wave diamond (when up Bing after rolling to an edge)

So cancel your momentum to help Sonic gain distance, and use fair repetitively to gain distance (when applicable)

zer0balance

Smash Rookie
Hey, new Sonic mainer on the boards and thought I'd ask InterimOfZeal to help improve my Sonic. I've done what I can with comps but that's not saying much. I've read both your in-depth FAQ and Kuja's guide prior to joining the boards.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Shield-grabbing is too good.

Magno, gimme your FC again, I think you mighta given me the wrong one, since I thought I added you forever ago. Also, get on AIM more. D:

zer0, I'd be willing to help.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
How quickly can you attack after using the spring board? If you can attack immediately, is it possible to use dair to bounce off the spring board again for mindgames? When using dair onto one of those spring board thingys in Pictochat or Stage Builder, the bounce tends to cancel all lag, so I thought it'd be useful.

Damax

Smash Lord
How quickly can you attack after using the spring board? If you can attack immediately, is it possible to use dair to bounce off the spring board again for mindgames? When using dair onto one of those spring board thingys in Pictochat or Stage Builder, the bounce tends to cancel all lag, so I thought it'd be useful.
you can't down air soo fast after using the spring, but if its on the ground you can use it to spam down air fast as hell on it except for the first one that will always be slow.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure you have to reach the apex of his jump. At least until he is out of the "Going up" animation.

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
What is a good way to approach a laser spamming Wolf? I keep having trouble against it...
same here. what i do for players like lucario that spam the B or other slow projecticles. you should charge up ur Down B, release it, jump (before the projectile hits you) and then when you're on top of wolf or lucario you down a or home attack them it works until they have figured it out =/ lol

Kel

Smash Master
Just thought I'd let everybody know that Diddy's bananas don't make Sonic trip out of his Over B. Found this out playing Darkrain today.
You're looking for the Uthrow, Up B, Uair combo around 90% against Diddy. (at least on the neutrals)

Oh, and if you ever play PS2 and get the air level, USE THE HOMING ATTACK. I'm guessing this would work under all air conditions (like summit). Sonic's Neutral b is actually faster than everybody else when wind is in effect, especially when you utilize homing cancels.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Zeal, I think I figured out that Down smash thing you were talking about and it's more ******** than you initially let on -__-

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Well, since Zeal is gone for the weekend, I suppose I'll field questions that I know his answers to.

GaW he hasn't figured out yet, it's a painful fight for Sonic, and hilarious to watch. You will NEVER spring spike a GaW, unless he's stupid. uair and up+b both negate such ideas, so skip that, unless you want to keep some sort of edge pressure on that way. It won't work, but you'll keep your foe busy.

Wait for the GaW to use his fair, then get in there. There's enough cooldown on that move for many people to punish, but it's cake for Sonic's speed. GaW is light, so you can start using the kill moves around 80% and hope for bad DI, or that you're good at edgeguarding.

I don't think Zeal has really played a good Falco yet, so he'll have to either admit that or give out advice for it.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Got no advice for Falco I haven't really played one yet but for Game and Watch you can use a lot more of your ground game than you might realize. Because of how slow and laggy Game and Watch is when it comes to ground movement/attacks you can use your forward smash a whole lot more and your down smash as well. Also, your f-tilt will be fast enough to interrupt almost anything he can do to you on the ground.

The tricky part is just that playing him is counterintuitive. Many Sonic players will be used to using uair/fair/shield-grabs/etc. with great success but with Game and Watch it's all the moves that your normally don't use so much that work best. Well, not all the moves, U-smash is still pretty bad and dair is situational as ever, but almost any attack you can execute from the ground will work.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
whatever happened to that whole f-airs reflection thing... there was such an uproar about it than it just died, and i dont know if it ever got confirmed or not.

i ask this because i was playing with my friends on fri. night, and i am 100% sure that i saw my friend reflect a pikachu nuetral b with his forward air. he was up in his face trying to hit him with it and the pika was in the air just out of his range doing a neutral b and out of nowhere the thunder comes out going the opposite direction that it should have.

i am 100% sure of what i saw and it was crazy
i am not sure if anyone will ever be able to use this on command in fact i highly doubt it but just know that itdoes exist

Kel

Smash Master
side b to recover. I only Up B when I absolutely need to. If Ike is charging something try to space the up b so that you'll magnetize to the ledge without getting hit. Homing attack can also work, and depending on the stage, can stall you until the charging is done.

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
whatever happened to that whole f-airs reflection thing... there was such an uproar about it than it just died, and i dont know if it ever got confirmed or not.

i ask this because i was playing with my friends on fri. night, and i am 100% sure that i saw my friend reflect a pikachu nuetral b with his forward air. he was up in his face trying to hit him with it and the pika was in the air just out of his range doing a neutral b and out of nowhere the thunder comes out going the opposite direction that it should have.

i am 100% sure of what i saw and it was crazy
i am not sure if anyone will ever be able to use this on command in fact i highly doubt it but just know that itdoes exist
When I tested it, it didn't work... however Sonic's techs seem to be very mysterious so I wouldn't completely rule it out.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
with sonics recovery against anyone, i usually spindash toward the ledge then right before they hit me i jump over them, than if your still worryied you can airdodge through anything else. i only upb if im trying to set up an attk.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
and on the reflection thing it looks like the f-air can only reflect at a certain frame before the projectile is seen. because with both of the examples that i heard about the person shooting the projectile was so close to the sonic that the projectile wasnt even seen moving in its intended direction. by the time it was visable it had already been reflected and was moving the other way

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
and on the reflection thing it looks like the f-air can only reflect at a certain frame before the projectile is seen. because with both of the examples that i heard about the person shooting the projectile was so close to the sonic that the projectile wasnt even seen moving in its intended direction. by the time it was visable it had already been reflected and was moving the other way
Sonic has some strange situational priority attacks and hitboxes so that could be it. Can someone tell me why if Sonic is right outside the range of an enemies Fsmash hitbox he can counter with his own tiny one... sometimes his fist doesn't even reach the enemy in the animation... Sonic has magic fists.

Top Bottom