• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Impressions. Matches, FAQ/Guide - Updated with vids! (34+ matches)

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Sonic has some strange situational priority attacks and hitboxes so that could be it. Can someone tell me why if Sonic is right outside the range of an enemies Fsmash hitbox he can counter with his own tiny one... sometimes his fist doesn't even reach the enemy in the animation... Sonic has magic fists.
Sonic (like many characters) leans back as he is charging it... furthermore, if you hyphen smash he scoots forward even more when attacking.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm having trouble winning with Sonic... Looks like he's not one of my best characters after all. :(

I always kill myself at least once, due to bad aiming, etc.

I have to try to keep him on ground level all the time since his aerials aren't good (at least not for downward attacks).

I really need some tips on Sonic. :S

Damax

Smash Lord
I always kill myself at least once, due to bad aiming, etc.

I have to try to keep him on ground level all the time since his aerials aren't good
I stopped reading. Seriously don't kill yourself. Suicide isn't an option.

Sonic's aerial are fine. his up air is a priority *****, the fair comes out fast and the back air can KO. His nair does decent damage. Down air along with the up B allow fast vertical movement. if you up B and down air at the peak of your jump (assuming there's no platform between you and the spring) the down air will auto cancel and it'll look fast.

Use run and grabs. the spins are useful, learn to combo them in an aerial attack. also keep in mind that if you do your second jump and initiate a spindash in the air. once on the ground you'll have to leave the spindash in order to get your second jump again, however you can still jump the spindash from the ground.

Browny

Smash Hater
Uncle Fitzy said:
Sonic has some strange situational priority attacks and hitboxes so that could be it. Can someone tell me why if Sonic is right outside the range of an enemies Fsmash hitbox he can counter with his own tiny one... sometimes his fist doesn't even reach the enemy in the animation... Sonic has magic fists.
Sonic (like many characters) leans back as he is charging it... furthermore, if you hyphen smash he scoots forward even more when attacking.
Lol i did that a few days ago, me and dedede both ran in and fsmashed each other, and the attacks cancelled. Looked so strange... that giant hammer falling like a ton of bricks being deflected by sonic's glove :D

Shadow5YA

Smash Cadet
I think the reason why Sonic has two spindashes for his specials is because one is meant to be used as an aerial. If you try to start Sonic's spindash in the air, you'll notice that the downB loses altitude at a much faster rate.

But what I'm wondering is if there's a way to cancel the spindash once it has already started without jumping. Back in the two Sonic Adventure games, you were allowed to press B while spindashing to stop it, and you would still be sliding forward with the momentum. It'd be nice if there was a way to do that in Brawl.

Damax

Smash Lord
I think the reason why Sonic has two spindashes for his specials is because one is meant to be used as an aerial. If you try to start Sonic's spindash in the air, you'll notice that the downB loses altitude at a much faster rate.

But what I'm wondering is if there's a way to cancel the spindash once it has already started without jumping. Back in the two Sonic Adventure games, you were allowed to press B while spindashing to stop it, and you would still be sliding forward with the momentum. It'd be nice if there was a way to do that in Brawl.
but in sonic heroes it wasn't cancelable just as sonic the hedgehog 2/3 where you had to jump to go back in running positions. brawl feels somehow the same.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Shadow why the hell are you talking about Sega Genesis games @____________@
They're even less relevant than SSBM.

Oh, and both spin dashes can be canceled... in a sense. You can't do it after fully charging either but before that there are ways of doing it.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I misunderstood what he had said, I didn't realize he meant while he was moving he wanted to cancel it. No need to get your panties in a bunch, Damax.

Shadow5YA

Smash Cadet
Not much to be considered important, but both the sideB and the downB spindash can be cancelled with A. This makes the aerial follow-ups a whole lot easier to land for me. Whenever I tapped up to JC a spindash, I couldn't use anything aside from a uair, and for some reason X or Y sometimes doesn't JC at all for me like after a turn around. The A button works 100% of the time for me, and I can finally use an fair or nair after it without missing most of the time.

Wynter

Smash Rookie
interim you do know that you can cancel the neutral-b by pressing b in mid charge to cancel the lag right?

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
He won't update it anymore, he gave up on Sonic. He plays Jigglypuff now, who is much better, and adorable. All Sonic players should follow suit.

J18

Smash Journeyman
haha i can't disagree with jigglypuff being adorable.
but somehow i think you're lying

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Well, he might still dabble in Sonic, but whenever I play him it's always Lucas or Jiggs now.

But the update, that's the lie, he never finishes things he starts!

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I play them on WFC a lot. My Sonic doesn't see any WFC action anymore, because it seriously screwed with my real-life playing. Picked up Lucario, too. Pretty much, I just need something to keep me interested in Brawl. Sonic's still my main, I just refuse to take him on WFC unless someone really really really wants to play him, because it messes me up, and I'm terrible with him on WFC. Then again, I kinda just suck with lag, period.

The guide won't be updated until after finals.

Browny

Smash Hater
i cbf making a new thread, so ill post it here.

but is sonics grab + pummel + upthrow the strongest grab combo in the game? i was testing this out today and i didnt find a single character (i tried about 16) who not only did 3% on the jabs (zelda is one of the few who does 3%) but the upthrow also does 12%, the only charactes i found who did 12% on a throw were zeldas throws (obviously) and snakes dthrow. sonics jabs however do 1% more than snakes, and are faster than zeldas. Just thought itd be interesting to note... pretty much a free 21% damage for every grab you get when the enmy is above 50%, and sonic is pretty **** good at grabbing lol

Damax

Smash Lord
i cbf making a new thread, so ill post it here.

but is sonics grab + pummel + upthrow the strongest grab combo in the game? i was testing this out today and i didnt find a single character (i tried about 16) who not only did 3% on the jabs (zelda is one of the few who does 3%) but the upthrow also does 12%, the only charactes i found who did 12% on a throw were zeldas throws (obviously) and snakes dthrow. sonics jabs however do 1% more than snakes, and are faster than zeldas. Just thought itd be interesting to note... pretty much a free 21% damage for every grab you get when the enmy is above 50%, and sonic is pretty **** good at grabbing lol
hmmm compare it with wolf, ness and many others: Sonic's jabs (while in grab) aren't the fastest around. many characters could get more hit instead of stronger hits. it doesn't change much IMO. and 1% more WOW a few more hit before it does 1%.

ALSO this would mean that sonic's grab = better early then worst afterwards since he couldn't get as many 1% as a fast jabbing char.

Browny

Smash Hater
well i did a bit more rather extensive testing. the only character who deals more damage in a pummel and throw is dedede (3% per hit with 16 !!!! on the b-throw)

everyone with 1-2% pummels, no matter how fast they are they never matched the damage the 3% ones of sonic and dedede, which seem to be about the same speed. i tested it by putting the CPU at varying % (0, 50, 100) and set to run and see how many pummels i could get off before a throw. at each one, i dealt more damage with sonic and dedede than any other characters. Ness has the most powerful throw in terms of knockback, but damage wise its only average.

i think i gotta learn to do this more often... i could easily get 4 jabs and a throw off when the CPU was at 100, so theres 24% every grab. sonic is the master of punishing missed attacks. from now on im going to practice spacing myself a lot better and forcing the enemy to make mistakes. current strategies of approaching with sonic dont seem to work too well lol.

Damax

Smash Lord
well i did a bit more rather extensive testing. the only character who deals more damage in a pummel and throw is dedede (3% per hit with 16 !!!! on the b-throw)

everyone with 1-2% pummels, no matter how fast they are they never matched the damage the 3% ones of sonic and dedede, which seem to be about the same speed. i tested it by putting the CPU at varying % (0, 50, 100) and set to run and see how many pummels i could get off before a throw. at each one, i dealt more damage with sonic and dedede than any other characters. Ness has the most powerful throw in terms of knockback, but damage wise its only average.

i think i gotta learn to do this more often... i could easily get 4 jabs and a throw off when the CPU was at 100, so theres 24% every grab. sonic is the master of punishing missed attacks. from now on im going to practice spacing myself a lot better and forcing the enemy to make mistakes. current strategies of approaching with sonic dont seem to work too well lol.
I don't have any problem of approaching with sonic...

Well thanks for the info, sure will help. its not like I wasn't a grab ***** with my sonic... its what makes it good...

Browny

Smash Hater
Forward Smash (fsmash, Soniiiic Puuuuuuunch!)

, but I should stress that the best part of this move is how Sonic pulls back. I've dodged numerous dash attacks and fsmashes with this move, just to hit them back with a partially charged attack of my own.
I never believed this until today... vs my brothers pikachu, he used pikas fsmash at the same time i used sonics fsmash, i dodged his due to sonic pulling back, held the charge so that it outlasted pikas animation and actually hit pika to win the match. i didnt even stutter step it :O

Tenki

Smash Hero

I was trying to remember where I read the stuff about grabs and his pummels- here it was...

D: but in real games, we have stale moves. And with stale moves, you do alot less, and pretty much do about the same as everyone else.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
No update in almost 2 months? I'll unsticky this, but I'll leave it open in case Interim wants to salvage it.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Samurai, keep it stickied. DNES and I have been working on approaches, techniques, and the like. I'm also revising a few things in the moveset.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
The only problem that poses is that if the guides OP wants to change something it might not be possible.

They could just post wanted changes to the person who "owns" the thread.

Top Bottom