• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic and Sega All Star Racing (with Banjo-Kazooie) / Transformed

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
♣ No Arle? She's been in Sega since 1991 and is still alive. ); ♥

♣ I guess Arle is more fit to be a fighting character than a racing character anyways. The router seems to favor the 360 and nothing on the PS3, I don't know if that would be the whole router. ♥
It is because the "router" has been completely leaked. What, you thought having B-K on the 360's cover had no meaning? It meant exclusivity and superiority.

BTW- how can you confuse "roster" with "router"?

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ I need a new translator from Japanese to English. I'll download a better one soon. >.< ♥

♣ But still, no exclusive character for the PS3 raises questions. ♥

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
You'd think a website like this would have more interest in a CROSSOVER than ****ty mainstream games.
From what I've seen this IS a ****ty mainstream game.

I can live with the Sonic characters, but why on earth Big? :urg:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The difference though is that Developers and players like Captain Falcon, wheras only Developers like Big.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I like Big as a character (he is just too awesome in Chronicles).

As for his gameplay, well... =/

:069:

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
From what I've seen this IS a ****ty mainstream game.

I can live with the Sonic characters, but why on earth Big? :urg:
Yes, one character you don't like makes this a ****ty mainstream game. >_>

And Sega characters aren't well known enough to be mainstream. And this game isn't even out yet so you can't claim it is.

But then again, you're probably one of those twits who think it's a direct ripoff to Mario Kart.

Spire

III
BRoomer
The difference though is that Developers and players like Captain Falcon, wheras only Developers like Big.
Most players don't like Big. I do. Poltergust apparently does too. Don't be quick to make such assumptions. In some cases, the majority of the audience does not exactly matter. Look at The Wind Waker. Everyone wanted a realistic Zelda following the Spaceworld demo video, but instead, we were given nothing expected; something most didn't want. But it was successful.

Now a game solely about Big could be a problem, but in a cast of some 20 or so racers, I think he fits in fine. He's one of those Sonic characters who's almost not like a game-specific character at all. Kind of reminds me of Game & Watch.

On another note, I'm very surprised that NiGHTS and Ristar aren't in the game. Has the whole roster been announced?

S

smash brawl player 99021

Banjo Kazooie in this game? I'm suddenly interested.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
On another note, I'm very surprised that NiGHTS and Ristar aren't in the game. Has the whole roster been announced?
It hasn't been announced, it was actually leaked via the official website. It is disappointing that NiGHTS didn't make it, but the character has a high possibility to be part of this game's DLC.

I'm happy that people came in here to defend this game. It isn't ****ty at all, and if you've played it, you would notice the gameplay similarities to the OutRun series.

And OutRun is like the Chuck Norris of the racing genre.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
Banjo Kazooie in this game? I'm suddenly interested.

Also, read this article that just came out by CVG:

Rare to let more publishers 'borrow' characters

Rare is considering allowing more publishers to use its characters in third-party games - after Sega licensed Banjo and Kazooie for All-Stars Racing.

CVG reported in December that Sega had signed the rights to use avatars of the pair in Sonic & Sega's All Stars Racing - which is due for release on 360, Wii, PS3 and DS in the first half of this year.

And Rare studio head Mark Betteridge told CVG this week:

"It makes sense to keep our characters in the public eye and in players' awareness, and this opportunity was one we couldn't pass up - not only did it allow Banjo and Kazooie to appear as they've most recently been seen in a Nuts & Bolts-style vehicle, but we'd be entrusting them to a well-known publisher with its own compatible stable of characters."

And when we asked if Rare would consider allowing publishers to 'borrow' more of its characters in non-Rare games in future, he added:

"As long as we felt it was beneficial to the franchise. We're wary of spreading any of our properties too thin, but at the same time the feedback on Banjo appearing in All-Stars Racing has been great, so as long as we choose carefully we're happy to give players extra opportunities to take control of Rare characters."

Rare has created a wealth of IP since it was founded in 1982. It has worked on titles including Perfect Dark, 007 GoldenEye, Viva Pinata and Kameo.

Spire

III
BRoomer
@ I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU! -- I'd advise you to stop double-posting. Since you're new to the boards you won't be punished, but it can result in infraction points. Thanks for sharing that news though!

But I must ask.. how could you know how it plays? There isn't even a demo out yet. There's still a chance that the gameplay might suck. We can't know until we've had hands-on time with it.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
@ I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU! -- I'd advise you to stop double-posting. Since you're new to the boards you won't be punished, but it can result in infraction points. Thanks for sharing that news though!

But I must ask.. how could you know how it plays? There isn't even a demo out yet. There's still a chance that the gameplay might suck. We can't know until we've had hands-on time with it.
Not telling ;)

Spire

III
BRoomer
Not telling ;)
Well then I'll assume that you either got the chance to play the PS3 demo at Summer of Sonic 2009, are lying, or have some connections to the likes of a game reviewer who could get a preview copy (or are one yourself). Though I highly doubt the latter.

Anyways, I must have miscounted the announced characters so far. Excluding Banjo & Kazooie, Miis, and Xbox 360 Avatars, there are only 17 revealed racers. I suppose NiGHTS and Ristar still have a chance. Those two would seal this game for me.

Also, I just realized that Jacky Bryant highly resembles Billy Idol. I may have just found my main.

S

smash brawl player 99021

Maybe it'll keep the Banjo Series going a little farther. Nuts and Bolts wasn't bad. Not that good though. Disapointing too because I loved that franchise under Nintendo.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
I suppose NiGHTS and Ristar still have a chance. Those two would seal this game for me.
Sadly, NiGHTS and Ristar are not playable. The roster I posted on the other page is cemented. You're going to have to hope for the no-shows to be DLC.

BTW- I actually played this at SOS. The game is nowhere near POS-status.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Either DLC or purposely witheld for a sequel. Sega doesn't have a ton of desirable (or big name) characters like Nintendo, so if they plan on doing a sequel, they'll need some strong reps.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I..... I actually like Big The Cat more than Captain Falcon in a way. But that may be because I haven't played any F-Zero, so I know him more as an awesome manly fighting guy rather than a bounty hunter racer guy. Big is annoying, but to be fair he is one of the better characters from the 3D games, non gameplay wise.

And OutRun is like the Chuck Norris of the racing genre.
No, that would be Road Rash.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
GamesMaster reviewed the game

http://sonicstadium.org/news/first-asr-review-in-todays-gamesmaster-magazine

The PS3/360/Wii version all received an 83% while the DS version received a 70%

Of course, they complain that the items are 'too much like Mario Karts' which doesn't explain how on Earth the MK series always get a good score despite being worse on item balance

And they said that the roster of Mario Kart is better which is straight up BS.

finalark

SNORLAX
^Translation: Most critic think that "omgz there are no mario karakterz to it is teh suckz".

If a game is part of a respected and old franchise, it will probably get somewhere between an 8-10 just because it is part of the franchise and the critics don't want to offend the fanboys.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I have to get this game for both Wii and 360 then I see. I'll see more gameplay before thinking that idea.

ChakramStrike

Smash Rookie
I didn't realize that Mario Kart was the only series allowed in this genre. Items are the whole point of the game. Ever play a Nascar game? Not that fun, really. Racing games need some level of skill and chaotic elements involved to keep it from being "i picked the fast car so i win."

Star Wars: Episode I racing never got points taken off for not being Mario Kart.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Hopefully this game will have a bit more balance than Funky Kong and the Bowser Bike Wii.

I've not played it, but I have played lots of other kart games that have topped the current Mario Karts of the time; notably Crash Team Racing and Cel Damage Overdrive.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
WTH? Banjo-Kazooie in a Sega game!? Wow, Rare must really want to publicise Banjo, regardless I have no problem with it , in fact that's great news.

I haven't seen the roster of character for this game (and I don't want to!!) so does anybody know if some of the old classic got in? (vectorman, Alex(Streets of Rage), Joe(Shinobi).

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
So I guess PS3 doesn't get any exclusive character. That's dumb.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Just so you guys know the Wii version dosn't have Gamecube Controller support.

So yeah, go buy either the PS3 or 360 version if you have it so you can use a controller.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
^^It can use Classic Controller, so :p
This game's cool. Nice, crisp graphics and it's fun :bee:

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
So I guess PS3 doesn't get any exclusive character. That's dumb.
Right. Let's wait 4 sum DLC to play Ratchet and Clank or Nathan Drake.

so disappointing :(
Shouldn't been 'cause they were selling it 4 $50. That's makes it obviously that they weren't trying to make the best kart racer.

To me it's not a cadh-in either. I really like. Ryo, Beat and AiAi >All.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Oh god I want this game so bad. I don't care about sonic, or shadow, or whoever is in it, I just care about Crazy Taxi. I swear, when I saw the commercial and the guy driving in it I nearly cried. Man Crazy Taxi and I go WAAAAAAAAAAY back. There is a Crazy Taxi machine in my local arcade and I when I was little I had good memories with it. I remember I used to get on my dads lap so I could drive while he controlled the pedals ^^. Then...... yeah I grew up and now Im able to use the pedals myself :D.

So yeah.... Crazy Taxi was a big plus in my opinion. I actually thought that Sega had forgotten about it

EDIT: Banjo and Kazooie is controlled by Sega now? When, or more importantly why did this happen and why didn't I get a memo about this? God, I bet you Sega is going to turn a once beloved video game franchise into total fail

LLDL

Smash Hero
I'll give this a try, then I will just go back to double dash.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I got this on release, but didn;t preorder it so didn't get the Forklift Ryo character :laugh:. Hopefully they'll release that as DLC.

However, the game is really fun, it's much quicker than all other Sonic racing games, so that's good- Drift, R, and Riders were too slow. Up to now I've been really liking Alex Kidd and Bonanza Bros., as well as Sonic, Opa Opa and Shadow. I think the bikes are faster, but not as unfair as they were on Mario Kart Wii, seeing as Sonic holds the fastest time worldwide on a good majority of the tracks.

But yeah, this is a great racing game, and the announcer is awesome.

Grandeza

Smash Master
So I'm probably going to get this off lockerz if i can so is it worth it? I also want Left 4 Dead 2 and I'm not sure which I want more. I love racing games and love playing this stuff with friends so I'm leaning towards this.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
EDIT: Banjo and Kazooie is controlled by Sega now? When, or more importantly why did this happen and why didn't I get a memo about this? God, I bet you Sega is going to turn a once beloved video game franchise into total fail
By your 'brilliant' conclusion, Nintendo owns Snake and Sonic.

Did you even bother to follow the game at all?

S

smash brawl player 99021

I played the demo today. I dislike how there were two characters to use. And one track to race on. And it seems identical to Mario Kart (with the obvious differences)

Top Bottom