• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something bothering you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Not gonna lie, deceiving your parents so you can go meet someone you've never met before but have a crush on strikes me as a bad idea. As for the relationship itself, how does she feel about you? Does she feel the same? And if you don't know what she looks like, ask for pictures. Ask to be her friend on Facebook so you can see a few pictures there. You should figure out some way to meet. But deceiving your family into taking a vacation under false pretenses doesn't seem like the way to go.
Well, how else can I do it, considering I have overprotective parents who fear the net?

I'm supposed to just go "Oh, hey, I met someone online, I like her and I want to go there to meet her"? Sounds... bad.

starmatrix

Smash Cadet
Like Scott says, you should try getting pictures of her and getting a sense of what she looks like.. whether it be through facebook, myspace, etc. Travelling that extra distance for a girl you've never actually met or seen in person before best be worth the effort.

QUIVO

Smash Master
Long distance relationships suck. I was dating a girl on and off for 4.5 years. She just recently told me that she doesn't think she's in love with me anymore. When I'm with her, she's sure she is, but when we're apart she's too **** fickle. Maybe it's how things played out for us, but I do know of one couple that have been dating for like, 6-7 years over the phone and just recently moved in together.

Ladybug

Smash Lord
Oh wow you've never actually even seen the girl? Ever? Yeah not a good idea. And if she wants to meet you why can't she come your way.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Oh wow you've never actually even seen the girl? Ever? Yeah not a good idea. And if she wants to meet you why can't she come your way.
That's unimportant. It's gotten to a point where I couldn't care less what she looked like.

We both hate my location with a dying passion, so that ain't gonna happen.

And you don't just up and ask someone to share a pic online. Everyone's... paranoid. Yes, that means she doesn't have a Facebook and neither do I.

As for the feelings thing, I doubt she likes me back romantically ATM, but I'm working on it. I've been friend-zoned, but she said she liked talking to me and that I never get boring. I know that it's nowhere near enough, but I'm happy with where I've gotten so far.

Ladybug

Smash Lord
Well its either keep just being internet buddies... or have her come to you. Because you shouldn't trick your parents into anything like that.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Well, how else can I do it, considering I have overprotective parents who fear the net?

I'm supposed to just go "Oh, hey, I met someone online, I like her and I want to go there to meet her"? Sounds... bad.
It sounds bad because it is bad.

You need to forget about this person and move on.

Scott!

Smash Lord
I really don't want to sound like a killjoy, but seriously, the odds are stacked so heavily against this relationship working. You have never seen a picture, you live with parents who you believe wouldn't support this kind of relationship, you're a province away at least, and have no means of seeing her on your own. Presumably she can't visit you either. Plus, she sees you as a friend. The friend-zone is notoriously hard to get out of. You're setting yourself up for disappointment. You don't need to necessarily forget about her, though that would make it easier. You just need to move on.

Besides, what if it works out? What then? You two become an item and everything's wonderful? Doubtful. You'll still be prohibitively far from each other, and that does not make relationships better. Some can survive the distance, but you need to be able to meet them at some point. You will almost definitely not make it work in the long run, and your relationship will be characterized by your wishing you could be together, but being wholly unable to. Just try to get over her. It's for the best.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
No okay I had this EXACT same thing happen to me like....6 years ago. Honestly, it more than likely isn't worth it. Even if you do get to meet her, people are a lot different online (generally) then they are in person. Deceiving your parents so you can see them is also a terrible idea, especialyl if you are convincing them to have a FAMILY trip so you can do that. Honestly, what you should do is keep it at a friendship.

sammy p

Smash Lord
I really don't want to sound like a killjoy, but seriously, the odds are stacked so heavily against this relationship working. You have never seen a picture, you live with parents who you believe wouldn't support this kind of relationship, you're a province away at least, and have no means of seeing her on your own. Presumably she can't visit you either. Plus, she sees you as a friend. The friend-zone is notoriously hard to get out of. You're setting yourself up for disappointment. You don't need to necessarily forget about her, though that would make it easier. You just need to move on.

Besides, what if it works out? What then? You two become an item and everything's wonderful? Doubtful. You'll still be prohibitively far from each other, and that does not make relationships better. Some can survive the distance, but you need to be able to meet them at some point. You will almost definitely not make it work in the long run, and your relationship will be characterized by your wishing you could be together, but being wholly unable to. Just try to get over her. It's for the best.
although id really wish it works out for you TCRhade, hes got a(or many) point(s)
i think hes right in this case :(

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
What's bothering me:

First, what's the keyboard command tied to the back button on most web browsers? I just hit it evidently and lost all of what I was typing. Ugh.

Second, I'm mixed about coming home for Thanksgiving, because my parents fit most of the Republican stereotypes, and I generally can't avoid those conversations. I honestly just don't want to hear it, really. I know they can probably suspend it for the actual dinner, but there's a few more days of Thanksgiving break that I have to put up with it. OH, and they get news from antenna TV, so if it's not discussion of the govt. on the news, it's about how terrible the new DTV service is and how it's a conspiracy to get them to buy cable.

Y'know... this never was a problem before the '08 presidential election. I dunno, I get enough of this stuff from my dad in e-mails lately (part of the reason I've all but stopped checking my e-mail); I don't need twice of it from both my parents.

Here's hoping they'll be too happy to have me around to start the opinionated rants...

sammy p

Smash Lord
yea go spend time with your faily! :) its thanksgiving for petes sake! lol
just tough it out for the dinner :)
usually, if you meet with your WHOLE family like i do(the majority of us are still in high school though) talk to them and catch up! just a suggestion.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
My roommate talks to himself incessantly. I've known him since I was 8, and I have no idea how to tell him that it's awkward. Help?

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
yea go spend time with your faily! :) its thanksgiving for petes sake! lol
just tough it out for the dinner :)
usually, if you meet with your WHOLE family like i do(the majority of us are still in high school though) talk to them and catch up! just a suggestion.
When I said I had mixed feelings about it, I didn't mean I was on the fence about going. I'm definitely going, lol. Free food for once and just relaxing (somewhat) in general is awesome. It's just my attitude toward my parents, that's all.

And sadly, my only WHOLE family gathering happens in the summer. It's just my bro, my parents, and I for Thanksgiving/Christmas, although with my bro's work schedule that doesn't ALWAYS work out.

Like I said, I'm definitely going, it's just... well, I worry about stuff ahead of time out of habit. =/

sammy p

Smash Lord
When I said I had mixed feelings about it, I didn't mean I was on the fence about going. I'm definitely going, lol. Free food for once and just relaxing (somewhat) in general is awesome. It's just my attitude toward my parents, that's all.

And sadly, my only WHOLE family gathering happens in the summer. It's just my bro, my parents, and I for Thanksgiving/Christmas, although with my bro's work schedule that doesn't ALWAYS work out.

Like I said, I'm definitely going, it's just... well, I worry about stuff ahead of time out of habit. =/
oh..... well nevermind :)!
have fun anyways and enjoy it anyways then :)

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
it bothers me when my best friends puts me at blame for thing i didnt do. The only reason she blames me is because she holds a grudge against me. she wants to date but im not good at dating and she has been my friend for so long that i dont want to mess up our friendship. screw my life FTW -_-

Paracelsus

Smash Rookie
You know what really bothers me? When I have absolutely nothing to worry about yet something in my mind tells me i'm forgeting something. It's like my mind is looking for something to worry about, almost as if it's human nature. :ohwell:

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
You know what really bothers me? When I have absolutely nothing to worry about yet something in my mind tells me i'm forgeting something. It's like my mind is looking for something to worry about, almost as if it's human nature. :ohwell:
Yup, I hear ya. I know how that feels. :(

Mewter

Smash Master
Have any of you ever had one of those "blank-out" moments where you randomly temporarily forget everything and then start trying to remember what you were thinking? And then when you search your mind for something, there's nothing there?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
It bothers me that just right now I found out that smash blue doesnt show your full signature any more :(

Alright for the real thing.

I got into a fight the other day and went to the principal's office. I got home free because I was the "victim" of the fight. He made me call my father though and he talked to my father. He said that it was nothing bad, just that my dad wanted to talk to him he next day. Thats all alright, until the day I get called to the office and I find a lady and my dad sitting waiting for me. It turns out that the day that he talked to the principal he got some psyciatrist to come to help me deal with "Low self esteem issues". Really? Low self esteem. I would feel better about this if he had told me a month before when this was all arranged. But he decides to come out with it a month later... and really I am against this because I really prefer to keep feelings to myself.... I feel uncomfortable talking this crap out with my parents (the only person I feel good talking to this crap about is my grandmother...) I mean I try to tell him something and he starts screaming at me and criticizing me by saying "Man up for the love of god!" Do you think that is a sutable solution to be telling me. I mean yes I know you guys are going to say "But this is good for you" Or "Hey you could solve problems at home with his crap" But even if I do solve this, I still don't like the idea of having to tell my parents his crap. Is there anything I should do about this, or should I just keep on going with the **** program. Because if I do tell my dad, again he will get angry at me and say THIS IS GOOD FOR YOU YOU NEED SOME MORE **** SELF ESTEEM. MAN UP FOR ONCE. STAND UP FOR YOURSELF. GET IN FIST FIGHTS OR SOMETHING!

Groan and the worst part is that I hate conflict... I prefer to take it and just ignore what they say with the presumption that the people who bother you the most will most probably end up in the streets all homeless or that these people will end up working for me one day. I just do what they call in my Speech and Debate class a "Drop the Baggage" technique or something. I just "drop my baggage" or let go of what they tell me and shrug it off... anyways off topic now. What do I do about this?

sammy p

Smash Lord
It bothers me that just right now I found out that smash blue doesnt show your full signature any more :(

Alright for the real thing.

I got into a fight the other day and went to the principal's office. I got home free because I was the "victim" of the fight. He made me call my father though and he talked to my father. He said that it was nothing bad, just that my dad wanted to talk to him he next day. Thats all alright, until the day I get called to the office and I find a lady and my dad sitting waiting for me. It turns out that the day that he talked to the principal he got some psyciatrist to come to help me deal with "Low self esteem issues". Really? Low self esteem. I would feel better about this if he had told me a month before when this was all arranged. But he decides to come out with it a month later... and really I am against this because I really prefer to keep feelings to myself.... I feel uncomfortable talking this crap out with my parents (the only person I feel good talking to this crap about is my grandmother...) I mean I try to tell him something and he starts screaming at me and criticizing me by saying "Man up for the love of god!" Do you think that is a sutable solution to be telling me. I mean yes I know you guys are going to say "But this is good for you" Or "Hey you could solve problems at home with his crap" But even if I do solve this, I still don't like the idea of having to tell my parents his crap. Is there anything I should do about this, or should I just keep on going with the **** program. Because if I do tell my dad, again he will get angry at me and say THIS IS GOOD FOR YOU YOU NEED SOME MORE **** SELF ESTEEM. MAN UP FOR ONCE. STAND UP FOR YOURSELF. GET IN FIST FIGHTS OR SOMETHING!

Groan and the worst part is that I hate conflict... I prefer to take it and just ignore what they say with the presumption that the people who bother you the most will most probably end up in the streets all homeless or that these people will end up working for me one day. I just do what they call in my Speech and Debate class a "Drop the Baggage" technique or something. I just "drop my baggage" or let go of what they tell me and shrug it off... anyways off topic now. What do I do about this?
wow..... sorry man. :(
but yea tell your dad. thats really kinda crossing the line when your dad keeps something like this from you and then expects you to be cool about it.. not fair at all.im just like you. hate conflict, shrug off negative comments, and just keep my positive attitude. i guess you could tell your parents you would rather handle your problems your own way? hoped this helped, because quite honestly, this is what i would do no doubt.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I have no idea. My dad talked to the principal and I think he mentioned about being a shut in most of the time, when in reality, I really hate sports and would rather be doing something more rewarding like studying or playing video games. And then my dad says I dont get out with friends that much, when really I just dont like going out. One of my friends actually invited me to a birthenday party and I declined the invitation due o the fact that Im not a party person... I think my dad just attributes it to low self esteem. Which I think he revealed all that due to that fact that my principle mightve asked "How is your kid at home?" or something. And if you know my dad, you can never tell him anything or else his wrath awakes. I mean Im not saying he is a horrible parent, but its extremely hard to reveal stuff to him as he tells me **** like "COME ON GET A GIRLFRIEND! GO OUT! WHEN I WAS A KID I USED TO BE UGLY AND ALL TEH WOMEN LOVED ME!" Only reason why I dont have one is because Im still looking for the right lady for me. Someone Im more compatible with. I mean sure Im crushing on this girl in my class at the moment, but I highly doubt that that will culminate into anything... so yeah... talking crap out in house is really hard when you have a critical parent

Ladybug

Smash Lord
The fact that my child bearing ability might be threatened bothers me. >.<

And the fact that my doctor took 6 vials of blood from me to test for anemia and other lack of things in blood.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Something's bothering me and I don't quite know what it is, which is bothering me even more.

Vicious cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom