• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something bothering you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I think this going to sound pathetic, but I've been skipping school for multiple grades and only until a couple months ago I've realized how important education is. What's bothering me is all the negative things I've hearing about school, specificly all the work, so I'm expecting more work with all the catching up to do. The reason I've decided to go to school instead of catching up first, is to find some friends, but I'm beginning to worry that I won't have the spare time to be with them.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
That's no good!

But really, you are indeed behind a lot of education then. Your education is one of the most important things when you're not an adult yet. It opens up a lot more. I think it's never too late to catch up on what you missed.
Usually people do go to school for just their friends, don't really care about classes, but still participate in them. I think your main priority SHOULD be catching up, but it doesn't mean you can't have any friends. Schedule your time so that spend X hours on school and have some free time for yourself.
School can be quite negative, but also be a great help. I've learned a lot of useful things there. (together with the not so useful things
*cough* paraboles *cough*
All in all, just go for it.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
*Sigh*....This week was absolutely terrible...

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Well, it doesn't help if you bottle it up...

So if you feel comfortable, wanna talk about it champ? :3

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Okay. I kinda hate sounding whiny though. >_>;

Here's how my last few days have gone:

Last Friday~ I get a cold. My 18th birthday party is cancelled. Yay! :D

Saturday~ Staying at home sick is no fun.

Sunday~ My laptop gets broken because my pop I had right next to it randomly explodes.

Tuesday~ Someone steals my iPod touch right out of my locker.

Wonderful wonderful week. :3

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
:( i'm sorry you've had a bad week :( :(

its ok you learn to embrace the good because of the bad :)

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Okay. I kinda hate sounding whiny though. >_>;

Here's how my last few days have gone:

Last Friday~ I get a cold. My 18th birthday party is cancelled. Yay! :D

Saturday~ Staying at home sick is no fun.

Sunday~ My laptop gets broken because my pop I had right next to it randomly explodes.

Tuesday~ Someone steals my iPod touch right out of my locker.

Wonderful wonderful week. :3
Because life is s***.

You just need to make the best of it. Besides, life doesn't suck until you get stabbed.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Well, you come to this thread to let it out.

Though I can't tell wather sometimes this thread is just a "let it out" or a "help me with _____!" thread.

I like both though.

Anyway don't let it get you down, if there's anything I've learned, it's that if you just look at a bad situation as "meh alright, it happened, nothing I can do about it except move on", life seems much more enjoyable.

Hope you feel better if you haven't already gotten over your cold though.

Kri3o

Smash Apprentice
Hanging out with my badass dragon friends in Chica
Both :)

I think this is a very helpful thread for people :p
It is.

I'm in collage and I get like no personal space(typing while my gay roommate talks **** to his ugly girlfriend). My computer is the only way to clear my mind at this badass collage.

BTW I'm a freshman in this Arts and Entertainment school. So you could imagine seniors beating me up.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Boy, that was very quick to reply, Azua.

... All we need is our dedicated "Dr. Phil" to look through this entire thread and we're set! :bee:

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Senioritis. I always seem to fall asleep in all my classes, despite trying my best to stay awake. Now I miss all the key lectures that cover a majority of questions on tests.

EDIT: and also, parents. I was just talking to my mom about how many tests I have tomorrow, and I say in a sarcastic tone: "awesome." She tells me not to bring this negative attitude into the house and then my dad walks in and she says that I was just yelling at her and treating her like a dog. Normally I let this **** slide, but I'm just so frustrated today that I yelled back at her with: "You're lying. I didn't say anything like that." I hate it when people turn **** like that around on you.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
Well, Data Structures and Algorithms AND Professional and Technical Communication are STILL kicking my tail. Actually, it's more like procrastination is kicking my tail.

I dunno, I'm not sure I belong here. I mean, evidence shows that I've been at this college for about 2 years, so... I've evidently taken it well until now. But then again... if I can't fix this problem NOW, then what's the point of me continuing to tick myself off just about every day when I sleep in?

I'm just a lousy scrub all the way around. I can't win at Smash, so I'm obviously a scrub there, right? As in, "play to WIN"? And of course, as I just said, I'm being a scrub in college. I... don't even know just WHAT I'm doing anymore, or why.

Suicide isn't on my mind right now (even though it could be close), but I know FOR SURE if I find a time machine in the next few hours I'll be missing a tail bone in ADDITION to the backbone already don't have from going back in time and kicking myself in the rear every time I did something stupid.

Panix

Smash Ace
Hosting a party tom. for my girlfriends birthday, i'm 18 so theres going to be party matieral there.
mom gets iffy about letting me have partys, dad dosn't allow it but he's never home.
Ever time I have a party my mom promise not to tell dad but she does and I get ****ed in the end.
I don't want to dissapoint my girl because I promised her for weeks that I would do something big for her on her birthday.
But, I don't want another fist brawl to break out over some empty beer can's.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
Senioritis. I always seem to fall asleep in all my classes, despite trying my best to stay awake. Now I miss all the key lectures that cover a majority of questions on tests.

EDIT: and also, parents. I was just talking to my mom about how many tests I have tomorrow, and I say in a sarcastic tone: "awesome." She tells me not to bring this negative attitude into the house and then my dad walks in and she says that I was just yelling at her and treating her like a dog. Normally I let this **** slide, but I'm just so frustrated today that I yelled back at her with: "You're lying. I didn't say anything like that." I hate it when people turn **** like that around on you.
I had the same problem with my dad, and my problem was that my tone of voice was so misunderstood that I eventually began to talk less and less, and showed myself in my house until eventually, I basically just stayed in my room at the house and never really talked to my parents. Now because of that, I am an introvert and don't like conversation really at all.

College is better Waltz. Pay attention in class, I had senioritis too.. Now I am 5h away from home... and it's a lot better.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
just depressed about alot of things in general. Girl issues, my health etc.

life is full of woes but who doesnt kno that.

EDIT: Flamingo thats kinda me too. I dont try to make small talk with my parents because it goes into an unnecessary argument.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
And people call me a jerk for avoiding my step-dad if I can.

...Sadly, he's not one to be persuaded, so even if I try... meh...

Anyway NL, never give up hope, if you succomb into feeling depressed, you will only spiral deeper...

I also think it's very worth it in the long run if you stay optimistic.

"Patience is a virtue"

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Because life is s***.

You just need to make the best of it. Besides, life doesn't suck until a baby seal gets clubbed.
I fixed it for you, teran.

@Waltz: You just gotta suffer through these last few loooooonnnnngggg weeks. I've only done 1 semester in college and it's so much better. Try to keep your chin up and make it till next semester. You'll be fine eventually, you gotta book it through hell first.

Frown

poekmon
Hosting a party tom. for my girlfriends birthday, i'm 18 so theres going to be party matieral there.
mom gets iffy about letting me have partys, dad dosn't allow it but he's never home.
Ever time I have a party my mom promise not to tell dad but she does and I get ****ed in the end.
I don't want to dissapoint my girl because I promised her for weeks that I would do something big for her on her birthday.
But, I don't want another fist brawl to break out over some empty beer can's.
Is it just partying in general or the alcohol that your dad does't like?

Smash Master
I haven't slept or eaten in days and I still turn in incomplete assignments and fail all my exams. What should I do? I can't change now, I'm a junior. There aren't enough hours in the day. I've broken like everything in my dorm (laptop, calculator, drinking cup) from throwing it in a fit of stressed out rage. I'm a wreck. I envy the dead. They get to sleep. I need advice, stat.

Everything's always so easy for everybody else. Why can't one thing, one time, just be easy for me.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
And people call me a jerk for avoiding my step-dad if I can.

...Sadly, he's not one to be persuaded, so even if I try... meh...

Anyway NL, never give up hope, if you succomb into feeling depressed, you will only spiral deeper...

I also think it's very worth it in the long run if you stay optimistic.

"Patience is a virtue"
Its funny 'cause my optimism caused me problems.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I haven't slept or eaten in days and I still turn in incomplete assignments and fail all my exams. What should I do? I can't change now, I'm a junior. There aren't enough hours in the day. I've broken like everything in my dorm (laptop, calculator, drinking cup) from throwing it in a fit of stressed out rage. I'm a wreck. I envy the dead. They get to sleep. I need advice, stat.

Everything's always so easy for everybody else. Why can't one thing, one time, just be easy for me.
You forgo sleep and food and wonder why everything's a mess?
I'd start with that.

Scott!

Smash Lord

I don't know enough about your situation to really give the advice you probably need.

That said, I can offer a few suggestions based on this, and personal experience. The first things you should probably do are eat and sleep. I'm in college too. I know what it's like to just get caught up in work and stress and not maintain myself like that. But when I make time for sleep, and enough of it, I feel a lot better, and am generally more productive. Same with food. You can even study while you eat, so you're not really losing much time at all that way.

If you're having trouble finishing work because of the volume, I get the impression you're overwhelmed by the volume and are either skipping around, or rushing through stuff. If that's what's happening, I'd recommend calming down and taking things one at a time. If it's just a normal assignment, then sit down, do it as well as you can, and be done. If you have a lot of reading, do it in stages. I know for my one French lit class, I just had to read a 400-page novel. I read it all during any chance I had for a week. I'd read it whenever I got a seat on the bus, during a lot of my meals, in class before they started (and during, but that's not good advice >.>).

When it comes to exams, the same kind of strategy should help. Take them one at a time. If you have 3 exams in a week, think of it day by day. I know when I have weeks like that, I'll study what I can the weekend before for all of them, but once the week starts, I'm only thinking about the next exam, not the ones after it, until the first one is done. And yes, it is stressful and hard. It's not easy, and I don't follow this advice nearly as well as it sounds. But when I do, it does work out better. Hope some of this is helpful! Feel free to ask more. I'll try to check back, but if I don't and you want to, feel free to message me.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
...Wait... wut?

This is interesting indeed... you sure you are being optimistic but realistic at the same time?

Because we all know the chances of me getting something like... degrees/certificates in all majors you can think of.

I mean like setting small goals...

I would be happy with getting out of school.

Then after that I set a new goal... like learn a couple new things when and if I go to college?

Maybe your standards were too high?

I dunno, but I look forward to your reply eagerly.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Optimism and Pessimism are both bad mindsets. Passivity in life, i.e. not actively having control over the quality of your life, but rather letting life take its course and either seeing it in the best or worst possible way is destructive.
You have to make the best of every possible situation. I don't mean looking on the bright side, I mean making the bright side happen. Life is filled with its awful events and periods, but sitting back and doing nothing is useless. Just try and make your own happiness, rather than expecting it to come by itself, and I suppose that's a start...

Amide

Smash Lord
Something's bothering me.

It's pretty silly how it happened, but it's actually a big deal for me. I'm in an academically gifted math class, it has like seven people. The class structure is pretty loose, you can sit wherever, talk and stuff, and the teacher often treats us more like friends than students. However, the teacher when mad, is a total *****. Still, when I upset her, I feel less guilty than I normally would, because she doesn't know much herself about math. This October, or something like that, I wrote "How are you enjoying this class?" in my notebook to a friend. This is perfectly normal, and I was curious because we were watching economic hearings instead of doing math. So she wrote "boring."

So this was October, who cares? Well today when I asked the teacher a math problem, it was on that scrap sheet of paper. She saw "boring" and "math class" on the page and ordered me to stay after class. "I can't believe you would ever disrespect my class, on a day I brought in treats! I have seen your mind deteriorate over the times of had you. You hateful little waste of life.."
Me: ""Actu-"
Her: "I don't want to hear you talk ever again! Goodbye!

I'm screwed since she's the kinda teacher that grades you on how much she likes you.

M.K

Level 55
Something's bothering me.

It's pretty silly how it happened, but it's actually a big deal for me. I'm in an academically gifted math class, it has like seven people. The class structure is pretty loose, you can sit wherever, talk and stuff, and the teacher often treats us more like friends than students. However, the teacher when mad, is a total *****. Still, when I upset her, I feel less guilty than I normally would, because she doesn't know much herself about math. This October, or something like that, I wrote "How are you enjoying this class?" in my notebook to a friend. This is perfectly normal, and I was curious because we were watching economic hearings instead of doing math. So she wrote "boring."

So this was October, who cares? Well today when I asked the teacher a math problem, it was on that scrap sheet of paper. She saw "boring" and "math class" on the page and ordered me to stay after class. "I can't believe you would ever disrespect my class, on a day I brought in treats! I have seen your mind deteriorate over the times of had you. You hateful little waste of life.."
Me: ""Actu-"
Her: "I don't want to hear you talk ever again! Goodbye!

I'm screwed since she's the kinda teacher that grades you on how much she likes you.
I know the exact same feeling! You just have to write her a note explaining your callous disregard towards her feelings (add a little sorrow and sympathy fluff for good measure).
She sounds pretty cool, but teachers are teachers, and I'm sure the good ones DO get offended when they try to appeal to students but end up failing =/

Amide

Smash Lord
She used to be like my favorite teacher, and I want to remember her that way. But why would she want to read a note if she wouldn't even listen to me?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I have to fart when there is a girl next to me.
...I'm sorry, but is this suppose to be a reference to one blog a poster on this forum made, or are you serious? :urg:

If you are, try not to eat too much gassy food if you're phobic about it.

Smash Master
I don't know enough about your situation to really give the advice you probably need.

That said, I can offer a few suggestions based on this, and personal experience. The first things you should probably do are eat and sleep. I'm in college too. I know what it's like to just get caught up in work and stress and not maintain myself like that. But when I make time for sleep, and enough of it, I feel a lot better, and am generally more productive. Same with food. You can even study while you eat, so you're not really losing much time at all that way.

If you're having trouble finishing work because of the volume, I get the impression you're overwhelmed by the volume and are either skipping around, or rushing through stuff. If that's what's happening, I'd recommend calming down and taking things one at a time. If it's just a normal assignment, then sit down, do it as well as you can, and be done. If you have a lot of reading, do it in stages. I know for my one French lit class, I just had to read a 400-page novel. I read it all during any chance I had for a week. I'd read it whenever I got a seat on the bus, during a lot of my meals, in class before they started (and during, but that's not good advice >.>).

When it comes to exams, the same kind of strategy should help. Take them one at a time. If you have 3 exams in a week, think of it day by day. I know when I have weeks like that, I'll study what I can the weekend before for all of them, but once the week starts, I'm only thinking about the next exam, not the ones after it, until the first one is done. And yes, it is stressful and hard. It's not easy, and I don't follow this advice nearly as well as it sounds. But when I do, it does work out better. Hope some of this is helpful! Feel free to ask more. I'll try to check back, but if I don't and you want to, feel free to message me.
Thanks for responding.

If I eat and sleep then I have less time for work and turn in even more incomplete assignments. The work is too hard anyway. Even operating at full capacity I can't do it.

I feel like I could crank out 400 pages in seven hours. That's a page a minute, plus 20 minutes to goof off. You had 168 hours to do it. I don't know, but it seems like you had plenty of time.

I do assignments one at a time, and yes I rush through it: otherwise I'd get a zero on something else. The five minutes I'm spending on this post probably equates to about 1/4 of one problem for a given class (out of like 10) so I'm not losing too much.

"As well as I can" isn't aywhere near good enough. That's the entire problem. If I was smart like everyone else I could crank out this work in a reasonable amount of time.

I skip three classes. For one, I notice I learn just as well and faster reading the book and doing the hw. One class is easy and there's no HW, so I don't waste my time preparing for it. The other class I usually intend to attend, but I'm caught up finshing the homework for that class during class so I can turn it in by the end of class.

I'm doing homework the weekend before. Here's my "to do" list

Study for stats exam (should take like three hours since I haven't been attending class)
Cot HW: will beat my head against it for an indeterminate amount of time. It's math; there's no partial credit or half-right answers
CDA: HW Will probably fail anyway, but I have to try
Take trip to walmart
Eat once: fill up water bottles
EEL prelab and studying for lab
EEL HW
Read EEL textbook

Then it's monday and I have new stuff assigned during the week and the cycle repeats. I never finish entirely on the weekend so I have to rush to do stuff before its due.

I'm a good test taker, though, so that helps make up for the utter lack of knowledge.

I'm about to break, but if I fail, then I'll starve to death on the street. It seems like life is a horrible hellhole and there's nothing I can do to fix it. Again, nobody else has the same volume of problems because they understand stuff so they work faster.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
...Wait... wut?

This is interesting indeed... you sure you are being optimistic but realistic at the same time?

Because we all know the chances of me getting something like... degrees/certificates in all majors you can think of.

I mean like setting small goals...

I would be happy with getting out of school.

Then after that I set a new goal... like learn a couple new things when and if I go to college?

Maybe your standards were too high?

I dunno, but I look forward to your reply eagerly.
Yea im mostly realistic whichmakes ppl think im a pessimist which isnt the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom