• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something bothering you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash Master
It got pushed to Friday, but I broke my caculator in a fit of stressed-out rage so I'm still up the creek. Also, I have another assignment due in 10 hours, but I should have plenty of time.

Free time is nice. I don't know whether to sleep or eat or shave or continue posting here, but it's a good dilemma.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Blaaargh.

Someone who I thought was fairly intelligent and thoughtful found out today that Adam and Eve never happened. She was shocked to find out it is in fact a metaphorical tale designed to make Christians get all up on the moral bandwagon.

"I feel like my mother's lied to me my whole life!"

I've spent much too long today dwelling on that. You've no idea how depressing it is.
Stoopid misanthropy.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
That depends on how you interpret it. Some Christian groups believe everything in the Bible to be complete and utter truth, down to the last phrase. They believe Adam and Eve existed. Others believe the Bible is to be taken in context, and not so literally.

Make your own views, don't let something bring you down just because someone told you it wasn't true. ;)

Blackadder

Smash Master
It's less about the fact that I consider such a belife in-****ing-sane, just that what otherwise seems to be a thoughtful, intelligent young woman nerver ONCE questioned her ideals.

Never ONCE. It just... boggles me, man. ._.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Uh so let me get this straight. You are troubled not by the fact that she doesn't believe the same anymore and is now confused, but by the fact that she was "smart" yet never doubted that belief before?

strange..

Blackadder

Smash Master
The point is that she's never questioned! She's 17 years old and has never ONCE wondered even slighty about life, its meanings, its birth, its end, the whole shabang. 17, and never even flirted with the notion of "I may be wrong". "What is life."

How is this possible!? How!

Vorguen

Smash Champion
I live in a community filled with some very conservative and very traditional Christians. I have seen this happen many times. Some may call it "faith"... Some may call it "ignorance"...

Crystallion

Smash Ace
Sorry that I have to butt in.

You might have read my other thread. Well now I had a conversation with my bf on Skype.
He told me that he was tired of failing to meet everyone's expectations. I told him my expectations of him were ones of every normal girl my age and it wasn't really hard to accomplish them. I knew I had to work on my constant pessimism, but if he doesn't give me the love I need to get the ball rolling.
Know what he said?

"Well, it's still better than nothing."

What a lame excuse...See? This is why this relationship wouldn't have lasted forever.

A new low, so what's new? I'm really tired of that bull****. I'd rather I'd hide forever in my room, not coming out again, not talking to anybody ever again. Just quit. Sure, quitting is for losers? SO WHAT? Then I AM a loser, I'm not going to fight that one.

Smash Master
This is not a vent but it is on topic - Is self-depreciating humor helathy? I find it to be an excellent way to break the ice and relax an uptight atmosphere. Reinforced, however, it seems to lead to manic depression. Personally, when I'm alone I derive a sick pleasure from telling myself how much I suck.

Does above poster feel the same way?

Ike and Link have the same style skirt pants

Crystallion

Smash Ace
Somehow, I can relate to it, though I don't think it's how I feel personally. My bf told me the same thing though, he said I wanted to feel miserable.

EDIT: IF that is what you wanted to say ^^;

crewster

Smash Lord
Is this thread for just random, general discusion comments?
It snowed today and I couldnt go to school. Same yesterday.

Mith_

Smash Champion
This is not a vent but it is on topic - Is self-depreciating humor helathy? I find it to be an excellent way to break the ice and relax an uptight atmosphere. Reinforced, however, it seems to lead to manic depression. Personally, when I'm alone I derive a sick pleasure from telling myself how much I suck.

Does above poster feel the same way?

Ike and Link have the same style skirt pants
If you already feel bad about yourself I'd cut back on the self-depreciating humor. I am comfortable with myself to an extent so I can throw in a joke about myself every once and a while, but if you think your life sucks I don't know why you'd beat yourself up for it, especially if you are trying to recover.

Also, too much will lower your value to others, have them thinking your life sucks and can change their opinion about you.

Crewster unfortunately this thread is not for random discussion, if you read the first post :p.
I wish we had one though :D

DyranMahBoooiii

Smash Cadet
Well, I've got a few things that are bothering me, not enough to make me run around screaming, but it's something.

1. Racist bullies. The gangs at my school tend to hate white people. They don't steal my stuff, but I've once recieved a death threat and gotten into a fight with a gang member. It's kind of frustrating being blamed for something as simple as skin color.

2. Being a Gifted and Talented student. I'm in a class full of a bunch of know-it-all smart***es that look at me like I'm ******** if I make a grade below a 85. The teacher declared to the whole class today I'm currently failing three classes. In her exact words, "Maybe Dylan needs to put forth some more effort." I can do the work and I do things with all my effort, but she'll take points off assignments for the slightest things I do wrong.

3. Stereotypes. Apparantly, because I'm Texan, I'm automatically super religious, gay hating, racist, and I love beer and smoking. I'm the exact opposite of all of this.

4. Memes. This one needs no real explanation.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
2. Being a Gifted and Talented student. I'm in a class full of a bunch of know-it-all smart***es that look at me like I'm ******** if I make a grade below a 85. The teacher declared to the whole class today I'm currently failing three classes. In her exact words, "Maybe Dylan needs to put forth some more effort." I can do the work and I do things with all my effort, but she'll take points off assignments for the slightest things I do wrong.
Welcome to GT classes. I'm a GT student myself, and... well, the most of us tend to be a bit elitist. This is usually because we are (or in some cases, act) more intelligent than everybody else... so... what can we do? I'm not insulting you or anything, but maybe you're giving the class the wrong idea? Try to show that you are an intelligent person to them and maybe their opinions of you will change.

Smash Master
I hate people who whine about being smart. If I was smart my life would be literally 10x easier.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
My brother was in GT classes for a while. He went back to normal classes because he said that it wasn't worth his time in high-school. From my parent's perspective, it doesn't help that I don't have a shred of any credits outside of normal classes and I got into one of the top pharmacy schools out there. He uses me as an excuse and it drives them crazy.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Blaaaaaa.

Social phobia is lame =|

Somehow, I can relate to it, though I don't think it's how I feel personally. My bf told me the same thing though, he said I wanted to feel miserable.
Sometimes you can get used to/addicted to a certain emotion, especially if it's powerful.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
especially if it garners attention..not saying you are an attention ***** or anything...but people do it without realizing it.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
God one thing I hate right now is the people at my church.

Most of them are complete d-bags who get every one in the room to gang up on one person on CHURCH trips and make fun of that person so much that they almost want to kill themselves.

Usually that person is me.

At the church trip that I went to the last couple of days, they decided that they were gonna go down to the altar, pray, and say they were sorry. Problem is, they did it just to do it. I can't stand when people do that, even though I'm not really a major christian myself.

Most trips are so bad I end up having to sleep with a switchblade so they don't do things to me while I sleep.

[/rant]

All I have to say for now. Will be back, since this thread is simply a great thing that I haven't seen before now.

edit: last trip was decent, had my best friend there backing me up and everyone went right to sleep at night

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes you can get used to/addicted to a certain emotion, especially if it's powerful.
especially if it garners attention..not saying you are an attention ***** or anything...but people do it without realizing it.
Hmm... I'm sorta "trapped" in this whole self-deprecation thing. I mean, I haven't looked at it as that... but it's more like... I'm being a realist about myself. Most of the people that know me from here have seen I do it with myself in regards to Smash, but I'm just... trying to not come off like I'm blatantly lying.

I've just seen plenty of comments about how people hate the people that think they're good but they're not. So... I'm just taking the hint.

I don't know what to think right now. I'm either being extremely self-loathing, or I'm just being a realist. I can't figure out where to draw the line.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
Yah..its all right i'm right there with you. I think alot of people are in your position. I also look at myself as a realist. But my wonderful girlfriend tells me i'm very self-loathing.

Honestly...i know this is hard because i struggle with it as well, but search around for something your passionate about or something you think you could be passionate about. I have very few passions but the ones i have i absolutely love, but they are sort of random (business consulting, bowling and smash haha). you need to find something you want to be good at or something maybe you're naturally good at and you didn't even know it.

i dunno im rambling..but thats what ive done to try and get me to hate myself les..

Mith_

Smash Champion
God one thing I hate right now is the people at my church.

Most of them are complete d-bags who get every one in the room to gang up on one person on CHURCH trips and make fun of that person so much that they almost want to kill themselves.

Usually that person is me.

At the church trip that I went to the last couple of days, they decided that they were gonna go down to the altar, pray, and say they were sorry. Problem is, they did it just to do it. I can't stand when people do that, even though I'm not really a major christian myself.

Most trips are so bad I end up having to sleep with a switchblade so they don't do things to me while I sleep.

[/rant]

All I have to say for now. Will be back, since this thread is simply a great thing that I haven't seen before now.

edit: last trip was decent, had my best friend there backing me up and everyone went right to sleep at night
Looks like you need to find a new church.
If you keep suffering you'll turn out not liking church.
That's not good.

Just tell your parents you want to go to a different church.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Looks like you need to find a new church.
If you keep suffering you'll turn out not liking church.
That's not good.

Just tell your parents you want to go to a different church.
Easier said than done though. Some parents go apesh*t about church switching depending on how hell bent they are about being Christian.
(pun fully intended)

Mith_

Smash Champion
Easier said than done though. Some parents go apesh*t about church switching depending on how hell bent they are about being Christian.
(pun fully intended)
You are right. I actually didn't find out about that until last year when one of my friends told me of a situation like that.

Skrah

Smash Ace
Well.. Recently, some of my friends have been trying real hard for me to become a Christian (I really don't care about religion, and if they ask me what do I believe, i tell them that idc).

I mean, at first it was okay, they were like come on, you'll go to hell and stupid **** like that.

But just this weekend, I told them to come to my house to play smash, and I suggested that they brought their own controllers. Well, they didn't bring any controllers, but they sure brought their Bible. I mean, wtf!

I don't want to hurt their feelings or anything, and I know that they want to help me, in their wierd kind of way, but this is making me real uncomfortable when I'm near them.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Well.. Recently, some of my friends have been trying real hard for me to become a Christian (I really don't care about religion, and if they ask me what do I believe, i tell them that idc).

I mean, at first it was okay, they were like come on, you'll go to hell and stupid **** like that.

But just this weekend, I told them to come to my house to play smash, and I suggested that they brought their own controllers. Well, they didn't bring any controllers, but they sure brought their Bible. I mean, wtf!

I don't want to hurt their feelings or anything, and I know that they want to help me, in their wierd kind of way, but this is making me real uncomfortable when I'm near them.
Find new friends :ohwell:

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I hate people who whine about being smart. If I was smart my life would be literally 10x easier.
That's because (assuming they and you're American) America is an anti-intellectual society. The country glorify Paris Hilton over many Nobel prize winners and having material things over promoting education. Heck, people claim Obama was an elitist because he graduated from Harvard.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Some friends want me to go clubbing with them friday. I really want to go but I've never really been out; last time I went with some people I didn't really know and it got really uncomfortable. I no longer speak to those people. Anyway, the major issue isn't so much the clubbing as much as the dancing. They all want to dance and I don't want to dance. There are tons of negative connotations that pop into my head when I hear "club" and "dance" in the same sentence. I could have plenty of fun sitting my *** at the bar and chatting it up with random people.

Another one of my worries is that people are going to be looking for a quick hook-up. This is a "red light, green light" event which means that singles wear green bands and people who are taken where red bands. I'm not looking for anyone to hit on or anyone to hit on me. I just want to go out with some friends and have some fun. However, right now I'm thinking I'll just pass it up. I'm already fairly anxious about this whole thing (in a bad way) and I have enough to worry about as it is. On the other hand, I really want to go out for once and do something. *sigh* Maybe I'm just a bit too old-fashioned for things like this...

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
Meh parties like that tend to be overrated.

Just wait, something will come around. I agree, i have more fun sitting at a bar and just drinking with friends and or people i dont know.

DyranMahBoooiii

Smash Cadet

I had friends like that. I would just stop hanging around with them. From my experiences, those people aren't worth being around.

Also in my experiences, they get together some people to harrass you.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
People try to convert me waaay too much, but that's on the internet. It's way easier to be blatantly rude about someone's religion that it is IRL. I usually tell them I don't care about their religions and say fine, I'll go to hell.
Then they go away, or I ignore them :O

SuperBowser

Smash Lord

You should just tell them that's unacceptable behaviour and if they can't stop being idiots, maybe you should consider ditching them :ohwell:.

My best friends at uni are a mixture of Muslims, Evangelicals, Catholics, Hindus and atheists. We may not share the same beliefs, but not a single one of them would ever try and ram their religion down my throat - if you don't bring the topic up, they really shouldn't be talking about how you will go to hell. If your friends can't look past your religious beliefs (or lack of), then maybe you shouldn't bother with them...

Mith_

Smash Champion

THEY'RE DOING IT WRONG!!!!!

sorry I couldn't resist.

but seriously they are doing it wrong lol.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Some friends want me to go clubbing with them friday. I really want to go but I've never really been out; last time I went with some people I didn't really know and it got really uncomfortable. I no longer speak to those people. Anyway, the major issue isn't so much the clubbing as much as the dancing. They all want to dance and I don't want to dance. There are tons of negative connotations that pop into my head when I hear "club" and "dance" in the same sentence. I could have plenty of fun sitting my *** at the bar and chatting it up with random people.

Another one of my worries is that people are going to be looking for a quick hook-up. This is a "red light, green light" event which means that singles wear green bands and people who are taken where red bands. I'm not looking for anyone to hit on or anyone to hit on me. I just want to go out with some friends and have some fun. However, right now I'm thinking I'll just pass it up. I'm already fairly anxious about this whole thing (in a bad way) and I have enough to worry about as it is. On the other hand, I really want to go out for once and do something. *sigh* Maybe I'm just a bit too old-fashioned for things like this...
Go out, wear red so people don't **** with you, and dance like no one else exists or matters =) That's what I do, but I'm really good at ignoring people and feeling the music in me. For someone like me who is socially anxious, it's one of my few ways I can really let go.

If you drive there and no one depends on you for a ride, you could just tell your friends you feel sick and need to go home if you're not having fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom