• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something bothering you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
All right I got one.

I'm writing a research paper. I started two weeks ago and used several books but didn't check them out. I'm in a fairly obscure section of the library so I was pretty sure no oen would touch them. Instead, the whole SECTION of boooks is gone.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I've got a school problem that I reeeeeally need help with. It's been bugging me since the beginning of the school year.

I go to a very Catholic High School....very. It's a good school. The education is very very good. over 96% of the kids that attend it graduate and go to college. Many of those colleges being Ivy League. It's gotten 5 awards *2 that are catholic awards <_<;* and some famous people have gone there. Like the girl who did the voice of the little mermaid and the young male teacher from Boy Meets World. Everyone there is mostly nice and the teachers care, but there's one thing that makes me feel like crap evverytime I enter it: The Catholic bias of it.

I hate it. I can't stand it. I'm Catholic, but I don't believe everything they say. And it's a zealous Catholic school. The type where you get the feeling of "Believe this, or you'll burn in Hell", "Catholics are the only ones right", "You have to believe this", "you can use contraception, but you'll have to answer to God for it", etc. It keeps making me feel brainwashed. It's like I don't even knw what to think anymore. They keep giving me so much crap. How the Church is perfect but stil lnot perfect. And i get stuff like "The Church never sold indulgences" I have a handout saying that. It's a "myth".

All of this is really making me depressed at times. My week usually goes like this:

Monday: fine
Tuesday: Worried
Wednesday: "Wtf am i supposed to believe"
Thursday: "When is friday coming, but who cares I'm going to Hell anyways right? -_-"
Friday: "Get me the heck out of here. NOW!"
Saturday: No school so no problems, relaxed
Sunday: same as saturday

It's really stressing me out and depressed...it's like gonig into another world in that school. And I have to go there, I can't leave it till i graduate.
I actually see a lot of people who have this reaction to Catholic schools. The first thing I'd say is don't get turned off to Christianity. That's the route a lot of people take. Just because a lot of people aren't practicing it right, doesn't mean it's not the truth. It's like saying because my teacher can't teach algebra, that algebra is wrong and doesn't make sense.

Firstly, the Catholic church did sell indulgences. That's just history. Doesn't mean that the current church is wrong, but what was done in the past was definitely wrong. The fact that they're trying to cover this whole thing up seems like a struggle for power, which doesn't sit too well with me. Also, it seems that your church has lost the idea of love. Before Jesus went to the cross, He gave His disciples a new command by which the rest of the world would recognize them. Do you know what it was? Love.

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another" (John 13:34-35 NIV). If that's not the vibe going on among Christians, then they're simply not following Christ. We have honestly had people come to our church and be convinced out of atheism solely from the sheer amount of sincere and genuine love that we have for one another. Seriously. And yet we don't lose a drop of seriousness when it comes to dealing with God's Word.

So, I would say that your school doesn't quite leave a good feeling in my stomach. Also, I'm not sure there is any biblical instruction given regarding contraception. I, personally, intend to use it so that my future wife and I could still have sex before we're really able to take care of a kid. So, that I'd like to point out as well.

And now here comes my issue with Catholicism: I won't get into it now, because this is not a religious debate thread, but I see a lot of hypocrisy in the Catholic church and a lot of defiance of God's Word, honestly. If you want to check it out, I posted a good deal of my issues in the 'Christian Gamers' group and had a small debate with adumbrodeus over it. But that's all besides the point.

Basically, let me get down to brass tacks: If you don't feel like these people are following God's Word, then approach them on it. Know the Bible well enough to be able to show them that they're not following it and do what you can to spur them on toward what's right. If they refuse to listen, don't let that stop you from being a Christian. In that case, you might need to find another church. And as for coping with it all, just keep yourself well informed about history (as they seem to defy it) and the reality of God's Word. The more you know your Bible, the better. If it's the absolute truth, why shouldn't you know it forward and backward? But otherwise just keep yourself sane by reasoning why what they're saying is wrong. Write about it if you choose. Martin Luther wrote his issues with the Catholic church in the 95 theses.

But really, the best way to keep yourself from 'being brainwashed' is being sure of what you're really believing. See, the thing is, my faith is not based on what my parents say or what my minister says--or even what all of the disciples in my church believe. My faith is based on the Bible. And for that reason I've made it a goal to know my Bible well enough to discern right from wrong. Because, when it comes to my salvation, I will not leave myself at a disadvantage. Paul says to us to "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize" (1 Corinthians 9:24 NIV). He instructs us to run as if only one of us is going to achieve salvation. That's the way we should be living the Christian life. How can we do that if we're not even sure of what we're believing in? Read about the Bereans. In Acts they are commended because they didn't take the Paul's word for it, but "examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true" (Acts 17:11 NIV). Follow their example, because otherwise it is merely 'blind faith'.

Not sure if that was a rant or if it was helpful...

XFadingNirvanaX

Smash Champion
I actually see a lot of people who have this reaction to Catholic schools. The first thing I'd say is don't get turned off to Christianity. That's the route a lot of people take. Just because a lot of people aren't practicing it right, doesn't mean it's not the truth. It's like saying because my teacher can't teach algebra, that algebra is wrong and doesn't make sense.

Firstly, the Catholic church did sell indulgences. That's just history. Doesn't mean that the current church is wrong, but what was done in the past was definitely wrong. The fact that they're trying to cover this whole thing up seems like a struggle for power, which doesn't sit too well with me. Also, it seems that your church has lost the idea of love. Before Jesus went to the cross, He gave His disciples a new command by which the rest of the world would recognize them. Do you know what it was? Love.

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another" (John 13:34-35 NIV). If that's not the vibe going on among Christians, then they're simply not following Christ. We have honestly had people come to our church and be convinced out of atheism solely from the sheer amount of sincere and genuine love that we have for one another. Seriously. And yet we don't lose a drop of seriousness when it comes to dealing with God's Word.

So, I would say that your school doesn't quite leave a good feeling in my stomach. Also, I'm not sure there is any biblical instruction given regarding contraception. I, personally, intend to use it so that my future wife and I could still have sex before we're really able to take care of a kid. So, that I'd like to point out as well.

And now here comes my issue with Catholicism: I won't get into it now, because this is not a religious debate thread, but I see a lot of hypocrisy in the Catholic church and a lot of defiance of God's Word, honestly. If you want to check it out, I posted a good deal of my issues in the 'Christian Gamers' group and had a small debate with adumbrodeus over it. But that's all besides the point.

Basically, let me get down to brass tacks: If you don't feel like these people are following God's Word, then approach them on it. Know the Bible well enough to be able to show them that they're not following it and do what you can to spur them on toward what's right. If they refuse to listen, don't let that stop you from being a Christian. In that case, you might need to find another church. And as for coping with it all, just keep yourself well informed about history (as they seem to defy it) and the reality of God's Word. The more you know your Bible, the better. If it's the absolute truth, why shouldn't you know it forward and backward? But otherwise just keep yourself sane by reasoning why what they're saying is wrong. Write about it if you choose. Martin Luther wrote his issues with the Catholic church in the 95 theses.

But really, the best way to keep yourself from 'being brainwashed' is being sure of what you're really believing. See, the thing is, my faith is not based on what my parents say or what my minister says--or even what all of the disciples in my church believe. My faith is based on the Bible. And for that reason I've made it a goal to know my Bible well enough to discern right from wrong. Because, when it comes to my salvation, I will not leave myself at a disadvantage. Paul says to us to "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize" (1 Corinthians 9:24 NIV). He instructs us to run as if only one of us is going to achieve salvation. That's the way we should be living the Christian life. How can we do that if we're not even sure of what we're believing in? Read about the Bereans. In Acts they are commended because they didn't take the Paul's word for it, but "examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true" (Acts 17:11 NIV). Follow their example, because otherwise it is merely 'blind faith'.

Not sure if that was a rant or if it was helpful...

that helped lots. o.o ty Proverbs.

I feel more confident now in what I believe in now. It is stuff like covering up the selling of indulgences that really ticks me off. And the constant use of Fear they use. v.v thanks again Proverbs ^^

Chaco

Never Logs In
Proverbs you never cease to amaze me. With each wall of text passing by, I grow more inspired by you.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
My toe is bothering me...

it hurts X.x
Aren't you following the thread? I mean, people having serious issues and you come up with "why toe hurts lulz". Doesn't it make you feel bad? :s

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Aren't you following the thread? I mean, people having serious issues and you come up with "why toe hurts lulz". Doesn't it make you feel bad? :s
Sure as hell wouldn't make me feel bad. I fell asleep curled up on the couch, and now my leg stings. That bothers me.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
I was having extremely bad chest pains last night and they prevented me from sleeping. Does that count?

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
I think I cracked a rib in a coughing fit, or at least strained them. Happens a lot. :/

I'm going onnnnn.....3 broken ribs since 07.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I think I cracked a rib in a coughing fit, or at least strained them. Happens a lot. :/

I'm going onnnnn.....3 broken ribs since 07.
Ouch, do you have whooping cough? o_o;;

Proverbs you never cease to amaze me. With each wall of text passing by, I grow more inspired by you.
Yes, Proverbs is very wise. I would like to meet him in person. Kinda reminds me of Morris. It's kinda weird.
Thanks a ton to both of you. :) Sometimes I feel like I'm just that one guy who gets really annoying with huge posts all the time. So, this really does mean a lot to me. And I really wish I could meet like at least half of the people on SWF T_T;; I feel like everyone here is so cool. I really wish I could just write love letters to all of you. :(

Hahahah, I'm so weird.

EDIT: And totally seriously, if anyone's going to be around Boston or anywhere in MA I'd totally love to meet you. For realz. Unfortunately, meeting people from the internet is always a sketchy proposition XD I remember meeting Arcnatural and the next time we talked he insisted I come over to his house, which really creeped me out. XD Turns out it was just 'cause he didn't want to pay like $20 for parking every time --;

Proverbs

Smash Lord
^Same here. A lot of people think I'm socially awkward, I'm not. It's just that it takes me a while to get comfortable ._.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
I have Asperger's. It is not like I'm a coward when it comes to social interaction. It's this accursed syndrome. :mad:

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
^Same here. A lot of people think I'm socially awkward, I'm not. It's just that it takes me a while to get comfortable ._.
You don't seem like an awkward guy at all, but that's probably internet breaking the social shyness barriers (lol?).

Chaco

Never Logs In
I fear for any of you if you met me, I'm high energy all the time.

I'm not the least bit shy, I'm a touchy person, but I don't like to be touched. That freaks me out.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
I fear for any of you if you met me, I'm high energy all the time.

I'm not the least bit shy, I'm a touchy person, but I don't like to be touched. That freaks me out.
*glomps, pinches cheeks, bites ear, and gives a wet willy*

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
I know, right? Funny how that works.

I just hung up on my mom not too long ago because she was, once again, being a racist douchewad about her neighbors.
I guess she'll never get it.
At least I get to keep hanging up on her.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The Global Rules prevent me from giving an actual explanation. :p
Oh I see.

I get those at like 4am sometimes. D=

My advice would be to do stuff that distract you from the cause of the cough. I only doom myself to it when I'm at school. =\

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
Oh I see.

I get those at like 4am sometimes. D=

My advice would be to do stuff that distract you from the cause of the cough. I only doom myself to it when I'm at school. =\
Nah, I don't actually have a cough, I was just coughing.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Hahahah, I feel like the love doctor for SWF now. It makes me smile. I guess that's not something that's bothering me, though, is it?

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
He's the love docta

da Nerrrve calmmaa.

sorry.

Speaking of love stuff. Anniversary tomorrow :D

and i have finals and we aren't together.

D

Deleted member

All right I got one.

I'm writing a research paper. I started two weeks ago and used several books but didn't check them out. I'm in a fairly obscure section of the library so I was pretty sure no oen would touch them. Instead, the whole SECTION of boooks is gone.

use google books

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Proverbs you can really help people's problems? I've heard you can. o.o;
Nope. I can't help people's problems at all. "I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me" (John 8:28 NIV). I only speak from what I've learned from God. It's God who helps people.

But if you've got something going on and want to share it with me, I'll share with you whatever God's taught me in the three years I've been committed to Him. That's the only wisdom I have to offer.

EDIT: Hahahah, wow I'm really starting to sound like Daniel o_O;;

SKy Angel

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm... Perhaps you can answer this for me. Proverbs. I want to put this to the limit.

Have you ever felt at times. That someone you trusted so much has hurt you nearly almost about 6/ 7 times. the person you love so dearly, and trying everything in your power to let go. People say. " Go out side. Get fresh air. " But sometimes even though you still go outside. Your still ranting on. It's just not the same. I'm a Christean believer, and I know god is and will help others if who they believe. I agree that is a fact. What I've seen. So far, and honestly I want to say... This heart even if it is ( If I was a man or a women. ) That someone you truly loved so much could never leave your heart and mind. Made a huge impact on your life. ( I mean a huge one.) They call that person your first love. ( Can't be at first because it's only online, and not irl. ) But the connection that I felt. made it feel real to me. ( Or that certain person. ) When you keep giving that man or women so many changes. After 6/7 years. You don't want to give up. That makes a huge impact in you.

The question is. How can you handle it. Even if you did try to social. Number one thing that I'll make myself clear why I say it's hard for emotional people.(Like myself. Cause I'm the real deal. As they call emo.)

=====
1.Some people say... ( When I say some. I mean anyone. ) Would say. " Go outside."
Reason or excuse you would call it: I do go outside, but this doesn't change the fact how I feel.

2. Go out and social with other people, and don't hang out all the time online.

Reason or excuse: Knowing that I want to social, and get out more. Some of us don't have the money to provide what is needed for our self. The economy, etc... Plus being a social butterfly is just not working out.

3. Go do something different. Or go shopping.

Reason or excuse: Again... This doesn't solve the first problem when I said money, and not much of a social person about it. Going out shopping would only make me want to buy stuff, but that won't help my wallet even if I did have money.

4. Go talk to you friends. It's worth it.

Reason or excuse: Of course... We all want to talk to our friends, and vent about things, but your forgetting. Most people who really have to much deep respect for their friends. Do not really want to tell their problems to other people. (Especially online. )

---------------------

The reason why I'm saying all of this. Is because this is a true fact that often use to happen, and the biggest thing of all. Is fearing to fall in love again. That's the worse possible feeling anyone really don't want.

You fear love because now a days you don't want to end up being killed by the person you love.
( If you betray, or just not interested in them anymore.)

Most now a days don't want to really get married cause after having kids. You'll end up wishing. I got a lot of things to do. My money, My dreams, my hopes. What am I to do? I don't want my husband or Wife to hurt me? <-- (That's a serious one. )

I can name more worse things, but back on subject.

Let me not forgetting. Watching people who die in front of your eyes. Family, and family. You try not to hear your own mom talk about. " I wish blah blah didn't do this or that." You know all you do is vent, and complain because you feel like it is your fault. How can you avoid anything like that. The only thing you got left in that heart when you feel that compassion towards your family.

The only thing left running is. " Where do I stand?... you don't want me to go anywhere. You can provide for yourself. You won't let me drive, you won't let me do much yet. Expect be around at home." (This can happen to anyone. When I say this. )

I want to know real good tips. When your down to the point. Where you've cried so many times. You've closed up your heart. How can you stop thinking of not hurting yourself. The only last resort you got is your bible, and which is the only way I see how most people are healed, and recovered for most.

How do you get rid of the old. When you feel like a broken clock yourself. This is something I like to hear. A really good answer. When your so broken somewhat in spirit. How can you gain that confident back?

In other words. What you once had. "Happiness, Joy, Abundance of true peace. " After being thrown down by kids laughter, and being joked about. Just because you have talent. Or being bullied. How can it be possible for people to keep their head up, How can you pick up all what's left of your broken heart?, How can we keep walking. These are questions. That maybe deep to say. Maybe not, but that's something I've been dying to find out myself.

(Yes... O_o;;; If I exploded anyone's head about reading all of this. I apologize. But this is something I've been curious to ask someone and want to know their point of view of what to do. especially Proverbs.)

Proverbs

Smash Lord
There was certainly a lot in that, and if I'm guessing correctly, your ultimate question is: How do you recover? Whether it be from a lost romance, loss of self-confidence, or whatever else, it's ultimately, how do you pull everything back together.

Is this what you're asking? Your post was a little confusing, but let me know if I'm on the right track so I can help you out better.

SKy Angel

Smash Apprentice
Heh. I apologize. I sometimes confused people with what I am trying to say, but you got that right. Don't forget. I also mean. People dying in front of you. Through your child hood memory. That has never left a child mind. especially. Even mines.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Through prayer and the Bible. Seriously. On the level of just getting through tough situations or times when you just feel like you can't move forward emotionally, that's what I'd recommend. Early this year I was spiritually in a terrible place. I had so many conflicting emotions, I wasn't sure where my feelings were at with some girl, and overall I just felt far from God. I remember praying to Him and asking Him to move powerfully this year to draw me close to Him, work through all of the issues backed up in my heart, and to make clear for me what my real feelings were for this girl. He accomplished all of them.

And when I say I had things backed up emotionally, I -really- mean it. It was so bad that my roommate, the guy I spend about 90% of my time with, said that he felt we were only "roommates" and not friends. I spent a lot of winter break and onward praying. And, I notice that during the times I spilled my heart out to God in prayer, my emotions were worked through, and really effectively, too. I'd just be in prayer to God, asking what I should do, and all of a sudden wisdom would just come over me on the spot and I'd know what to do, or how to think about something--or I'd have the answer I needed.

For example, at the beginning of this year I wasn't sure how I felt about a girl and everything was all crazy. I needed people talking to me about it ALL THE TIME, because I had no clue how to deal with this all. After praying through it and seeking the answers out in God's Word? Well, I'm now sort of considered the 'Love Doctor' of SWF and people are amazed at my wisdom. What does that say to you? That I'm amazing or something like that? Hardly. Instead, it's clear that God took that situation and worked, and powerfully too, through a very weak instrument. For, His "power is made perfect in weakness" (2 Corinthians 12:9 NIV). And it is those who are weak that receive that power. In the Beatitudes (Matthew 5:1-12) Jesus even marks out that those who are weak are the ones who move forward spiritually.

So what does that mean? When you're weak in times like those, whatever the situation may be: Seek God. As it says in Isaiah 53:4 (NIV) "he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows." This is speaking about Jesus. He not only did those things for the people when He was on this earth, but does so now. For He says in Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV), ""Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

You might be skeptical, and think I'm just dodging the question, but it really is that the answer is this simple. If you don't believe me, spend at least half an hour in prayer, pouring your heart out to God about whatever issue that's going on. Pray deeply--not doubting or with any restraint, and come back and tell me what you feel.

These don't fix themselves immediately, no, but for a starving man it's like a gourmet meal. You still need to continue eating to keep your strength up, but the first step is just taking that first bite. And that's what this is. "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. Elijah was a man just like us. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years. Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops" (James 5:16-18 NIV). If God can hold back the clouds from rain, can He not help you? And if you're thinking to yourself, "Well, I don't really consider myself a righteous man or woman." Over that issue I will not argue, as I don't know you. But if you consider me a righteous man, tell me your problem and I will earnestly pray for you daily--but you go and pray also. And then see if God does not bless your faith.

Why do you think almost every single Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous INSIST on the use of prayer? Because it works. Regardless of what you believe, you cannot refute this. You may debate why it works, and do what you will. Scoff if you like and try to explain it all away psychologically. As for me, I'll seek my help from the Lord.

Really, just pray. On more than one occasion I've felt the things you expressed in your post. I didn't want to pray or read my Bible at all because I felt so terrible. But you know what? The times I got down on my knees or cracked open The Word, I felt better, I got better and things worked out. The times I didn't I simply wallowed in misery.

Now, I don't know exactly what's going on, and I'm honestly very confused as it seems like you want answers to about ten different problems. But that's okay, because, honestly, God is the only answer.

But if you still don't believe me, listen to Malachi 3:10 (NIV): " 'Test me in this,' says the LORD Almighty, 'and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.' " A bit out of context, but it applies nonetheless. See whether or not God will work according to His promises.

SKy Angel

Smash Apprentice
You know... Through all that I read through all of this. Sometimes I wonder. When I don't think about myself. Not to hardcore like I use to when I was a child. I cried enough, but still pray for the truth that I wanted god to bless my mother more then anything else. I even said and made a promise to god. Our lord father. Lord Jesus Christ. That I would give my systems despite how or what I say when I vent on here. I'm not saying I don't believe in any thing. Or not saying your words from the lords words himself. Is ever wrong. I can never put my doubt like that, but that would make me sound like Peter. If I were to be like that. Would you believe a person's word if they tell you they would never mean to do anything to harm anyone, but yet ... -Sighs.-

Well... Let me say this... Your answer... To what I want to know... It is a good. I'm not saying I'm not rejecting the answer... Some of it. Sounds like. You want to say something better. But... Your telling me the bible is more then what should be said. Your story that I hear. Is probably the most almost close idea sort of what I was trying to seek for in words. Though. it is wonderful that you know every single verse of each story as well. I know when I hear the pastor preach. He never does his job wrong either. He preaches really the same way. I honestly am not saying the inner straight of our spirit is mean to ever live in fear. That is what I have been taught, but... At the same time.

I guess you can say. That even my heart as whoever you may think of me as I am. Is... Well I can't exactly explain it. I can if I tried... I could say.. Twisted, or.. All over running, At the same time. Staying and fighting. The last days as they say. You see many people trying to fight, and understand what they have to do before it's the end, or a new beginning as most call it. Forgive me for my late responds.

Your good at the Forums, but... As I can see... Your only telling me the answer is in the bible. Which that's okay, but... Perhaps I guess what I really am seeking for. I know Jesus is always around. Always. Until the day I see him. Wishing and hoping to hear the answers. True guidance. Your answers that might need to be said. Will have to probably wait until the day. Jesus do come, but... I don't feel any different expect. That I do feel that

However I am in shock that a Marth player honestly enjoys helping other. I give you credit for that! x3

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Did anyone say, Love Doctor? *Strikes a heroic pose*

I've been known to help, including Proverbs himself:-p. Although I'm the one seeking help recentlty:(.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom