• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

rpotts

Smash Lord
How will using oil ever be less expensive than using sunlight? I'm pretty sure than sunlight will never run out, and if it did, we're all screwed anyways.

Capitalism forced many wrong mindset into people such as greed and self worth. There are a lot of people who have a hell of a lot more than they need to have. Every resource besides oil to my knowledge is renewable. Oil can be renewed too but it takes millions of years underground of pressure.
Solar energy carries a high initial investment and usually higher upkeep that a natural gas or oil counterpart. Oil is cheaper now than harvesting sunlight for many practical purposes, which is why people use it.

Capitalism doesn't force greed upon anyone, and what is wrong with self worth? Do you not think that leaders of communist countries are greedy?

I'm sure you have much more than you need as well. Do you need to spend hundreds (thousands) of dollars on videogames? Do you need smash? Who are you to tell other people what they need?

Ballin4life wins.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
How will using oil ever be less expensive than using sunlight? I'm pretty sure than sunlight will never run out, and if it did, we're all screwed anyways.

Capitalism forced many wrong mindset into people such as greed and self worth. There are a lot of people who have a hell of a lot more than they need to have. Every resource besides oil to my knowledge is renewable. Oil can be renewed too but it takes millions of years underground of pressure.
Huh? Oil is currently less expensive than using sunlight. People are trying to design more efficient solar panels, but the ones we currently have aren't that good. Hopefully in the future we will be able to harvest solar energy efficiently and that will be cheaper than using oil.

All I'm saying is that the mindset of "greed" has led to many things that we now enjoy. I guess you can say "oh well people should work for the good of everyone" but honestly I don't see that happening. People will work harder if they directly benefit from the work.

I also don't really like the argument "people have more than they need to have". Shouldn't you have already donated your computer to charity / allowed some homeless people to live in your house / whatever? You don't NEED a computer, and I'm sure you have some extra living space. Also, if you were forced to trade in your computer, you wouldn't have an incentive to work hard to get enough money to buy a computer in the first place.

I'm all for charity. If people want to donate their stuff to the poor, that's great. What I don't like is the idea that you should be forced to donate your stuff.

Edit: **** rpotts stole my thunder haha

NixxxoN

Smash Master
You guys (ballin4life and rpotts) missed the whole point. I know that the world of today is like it is due to capitalism, but at the same time capitalism is leading us to a void. The planet's resources are finite. The pollution is damaging severely the atmosphere and the ozone layer. We need a global change of mentality or we are doomed. We need to stop this extreme capitalism and ty to build a new, sustainable society. We need non-contaminant, renewable energy resources and a huge plan to recycle our very finite natural resources for everything. And of course, try to limit peoples self worth.

DMoogle

A$
We need non-contaminant, renewable energy resources and a huge plan to recycle our very finite natural resources for everything. And of course, try to limit peoples self worth.
Even though these are two separate arguments, as we deplete natural (and at this time non- or inefficiently renewable) resources, their price will go up so that eventually it will be cheaper to use more recyclable resources. And so the world keeps on spinning.

Also, man, some of you guys need to take some basic economics classes.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
The current way we live life prevents people from doing things they're best at and would enjoy more to pursue careers simply for better financial reasons. There's no reason people with good teaching skills should be pushed away from teaching(or any other career example) because of financial reasons.

People doing what they enjoy will make them infinitely happier than people who get a lot of money doing something just to impress others.

I'm sure if scientists focused on solar energy and stopped focusing on things to kill the rest of the world, solar energy would become a lot cheaper. Besides if it's mass produced, the cost of making solar panels would decrease per each panel. Oil is cheaper now because they already have the equipment made to mass produce it.

Since when did this argument get personal?

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Even though these are two separate arguments, as we deplete natural (and at this time non- or inefficiently renewable) resources, their price will go up so that eventually it will be cheaper to use more recyclable resources. And so the world keeps on spinning.

Also, man, some of you guys need to take some basic economics classes.
There are things called laws and bans. For example, ban law of oil cars for everybody at some point in the future and only use electric cars (for example). Because sometimes capitalism has to be stopped or capped in some ways. Drugs also generate money, but they are banned.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
It's all serious and stuff.

Pretty amusing to me.

Oh, and simply banning things using laws? You'll create a furore surrounding 'freedom of choice' at the very least. While it's ethically sound, there will always be lazy people who don't want to change and will argue like this. You'll have to prove to everybody that driving oil cars gives you cancer or something, because people won't change just because you tell them the planet is dying. You'll have to implicate THEIR health in it. That's why banning drugs has so much more support. Or just offer people grants to buy the new cars at the very least. Capitalism has done that to people.

ballin4life

Smash Hero

Pretty amusing to me.

Oh, and simply banning things using laws? You'll create a furore surrounding 'freedom of choice' at the very least. While it's ethically sound, there will always be lazy people who don't want to change and will argue like this. You'll have to prove to everybody that driving oil cars gives you cancer or something, because people won't change just because you tell them the planet is dying. You'll have to implicate THEIR health in it. That's why banning drugs has so much more support. Or just offer people grants to buy the new cars at the very least. Capitalism has done that to people.
Besides people protesting/disliking lawful bans, they are also economically inefficient.

Also drugs should be legal :p

ballin4life

Smash Hero
The current way we live life prevents people from doing things they're best at and would enjoy more to pursue careers simply for better financial reasons. There's no reason people with good teaching skills should be pushed away from teaching(or any other career example) because of financial reasons.

People doing what they enjoy will make them infinitely happier than people who get a lot of money doing something just to impress others.

I'm sure if scientists focused on solar energy and stopped focusing on things to kill the rest of the world, solar energy would become a lot cheaper. Besides if it's mass produced, the cost of making solar panels would decrease per each panel. Oil is cheaper now because they already have the equipment made to mass produce it.

Since when did this argument get personal?
I might be the best ditch digger in the world, but that doesn't mean I should go into ditch digging. One, other people are likely to be almost as good as I am at ditch digging. And two, I am relatively good at a lot of other things that are more valued by society.

The same applies to teaching. Teachers have lowish salaries because there is a large supply of teachers. The truly super smart people who would be great teachers go into business or engineering or some other field that is more difficult to enter and thus has fewer capable workers. Basically those people are more valuable to society in these jobs, even though they would surely be great teachers. Because good engineers are more scarce than teachers, engineers command a higher salary, and the super smart people have a (financial) incentive to go into engineering. Overall these people will choose whichever opportunity they prefer, whether it is teaching at a low salary or some other job at a higher salary.

Of course it is entirely possible that teachers have relatively low salaries because of the government monopoly on education, where there isn't as much competition for good teachers between schools. I'd have to look at some statistics about private school salaries and so forth to say for sure though.

And I agree 100% with moving people away from making weapons and into making other technology that will actually improve (rather than destroy) human life. Just note that if we start to run out of oil, it's price will go up and other technologies like solar energy will become more attractive.

NixxxoN

Smash Master

Pretty amusing to me.

WUT

Never heard of autority? You do this, or go to the jail, you decide. No room for discussion. For example, there are even some mentally ill people called "pedos" that believe that f*king little 12 years old girls is legit... would you give them freedom?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
A side-effect of humans reliance on the system of supply/demand is that they're told when they have to start caring :\

It's a result of capitalism. When money's involved, it becomes SERIOUS BUSINESS.

WUT

Never heard of autority? You do this, or go to the jail, you decide. No room for discussion. For example, there are even some mentally ill people called "pedos" that believe that f*king little 12 years old girls is legit... would you give them freedom?
Right...authority. It's one of the key ways we keep our respective countries in check. Last time I checked, governments won't be proclaiming something completely definite like that about something like oil cars...that's called authoritarianism.

I'm not saying I disagree with any of your arguments...I'm just pointing out what would happen, and how it would screw over government credibility, international image, accessibility and the 'first principle' freedom of choice. If a government just banned oil cars out of nowhere, do you expect everyone to curl over and agree?

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Right...authority. It's one of the key ways we keep our respective countries in check. Last time I checked, governments won't be proclaiming something completely definite like that about something like oil cars...that's called authoritarianism.

I'm not saying I disagree with any of your arguments...I'm just pointing out what would happen, and how it would screw over government credibility, international image, accessibility and the 'first principle' freedom of choice. If a government just banned oil cars out of nowhere, do you expect everyone to curl over and agree?
Yeah, why not?? We all know that oil reserves are limited and we need some alternative energy source. At one point we'll must agree with it, and we will have no choice... also electric cars will end up being cheaper to maintan, so its all good.
Also, we do not have absolute freedom of choice, its obvious that freedom stops at a certain point.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
These mindsets aren't going to just happen. It takes years of ethical evolution to make certain actions wrong to the point of others being completely disgusted by said actions.

I'm talking about entering a world where people don't do these negative actions because they don't feel the need to. Greed isn't really about having more stuff than everyone else. It's about having the power to manipulate others for personal gain. It's all psychological. People will not need to deceive others as quickly if they are content with their way of life and are constantly stimulated by developments in the society.

I'm sure some of the super smart people would have liked to be teachers, but have turned it down for the higher paying, less appealing(to them) job. Some people settle to be teachers because of the cost of becoming something more. Someone wanting to be a doctor could be turned away from the profession after finding out it requires 10 years or so in college/university, even for a reason as simple as they couldn't pay for it.

Edit: I want 2012 posts.
Nixxxon is going to end the world in his next 2 posts.

Sensei

Smash Lord
Who remembers their first zero to death?

The earliest one I remember (even before i know about swf), was with jiggly's dair to rest. I pwned all my friends. discuss.

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
last week i posted a link to an ebay listing for an adaptoid that sold for what i thought to be a ridiculous price of $120.

another ended yesterday for 256$! what the hell!? is it even possible to get one for a reasonable price now?

Top Bottom