• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Late to the convo but physical vs digital:
To be honest I never want to buy physical again unless there's something special about it (collector's edition, steelbook, etc). If it's a generic plastic game case it's a waste of space and since I live in one of the most expensive cities of the US I think I'd rather have less junk lying around. Moving is enough of a hassle without more video games to pack up. It's also just not tenable or logical if you play games on PC.
I own Ring Fit Adventure in physical form because it has an actual physical element to it, and otherwise I own no games of this current generation in physical form despite probably owning ~50 (not counting older PC titles) between Steam, Epic, Switch, and PlayStation 4. I'm so glad I don't have to swap out whatever video game for Ring Fit Adventure's cartridge every time I want to work out. That'd be so irritating.

Regarding game pass itself, it is an astoundingly good deal and would still be a great deal even if Microsoft's games were the only ones included. It is also extremely consumer-friendly in that you can try games without actually paying for that specific game. You're paying for game pass. Download a game, play it for a couple hours, decide you hate it, then uninstall it. No money lost. I know that in disabled gaming spaces, Game Pass is heralded for this regard. Just like the previous example, they don't have to pay for a game only to find out that the game's poor accommodations for their disabilities make the game unplayable or unenjoyable.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I used to be a physical only guy but I'm all digital nowadays lol. I only get stuff physical if it's a gift from someone or it's cheaper. Sometimes I'll buy physical on Switch if the digital version is stupid big in file size (Because there are some devs who still don't understand optimization is a thing).

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I've had the thing for nearly a year and Ultimate's still my only physical Switch game. I've thus far went digital for my other purchases

So the same cartridge's been in the system pretty all this time, rarely taken out lol. Hoping that ain't ruining anything

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
i agree.
if you ever see this man coming at you, he’s only trying to show you the cool statue clock he found
I totally trust this beautiful haired man despite knowing the consequences. Wish UpUpDownDown continued this walkthrough
I used to be a physical only guy but I'm all digital nowadays lol. I only get stuff physical if it's a gift from someone or it's cheaper. Sometimes I'll buy physical on Switch if the digital version is stupid big in file size (Because there are some devs who still don't understand optimization is a thing).
I only get physical copies when it’s possible...2020 has not allowed that so far

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I really only bother with Physical for Switch because the storage is abysmal and the cartridges actually store (part of) the games.

You don't really get that anymore on PS or Xbox, it all gets installed on the system so really it's a case of "what games am I fine with waiting for my birthday/Christmas for"/"Is there a steelbook I like" or rarer still, a cool collector's edition like Doom Eternal with the Doom Slayer helmet.

D

Deleted member

Physical is just not my thing, with digital I feel like it is more safer. The only way it can heavily malfunction is if the Switch is ****ed up, or some extraordinarily rare bug. My Switch is perfectly fine. I am a part of the digital gang forever.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Why can’t minecraft have named playable characters? I was investigating Dungeons and found out that the game doesn’t even have classes, let alone actual playable characters. Despite describing itself as a story driven game. That’s just.., even Zelda has a protagonist with a canonical name, set design, and role in the story.

Arg. Minecraft makes me bitter. It seams determined to not only make me hate it but to not even have things that would make me tolerate it.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Why can’t minecraft have named playable characters? I was investigating Dungeons and found out that the game doesn’t even have classes, let alone actual playable characters. Despite describing itself as a story driven game. That’s just.., even Zelda has a protagonist with a canonical name, set design, and role in the story.

Arg. Minecraft makes me bitter. It seams determined to not only make me hate it but to not even have things that would make me tolerate it.
Aren't you supposed to use your imagination in Minecraft.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Aren't you supposed to use your imagination in Minecraft.
I know that’s the point. And that’s boring to me. I have paper and pencils to use my imagination. The idea of doing it in Minecraft just feels limited, in a bad way.

I really don’t like Minecraft, and the fact that it’s so popular only makes it worse. Most fads spread by youtubers fade after a time. But Minecraft refuses too. It doesn’t need to change because people like it so much.

I don’t like the gameplay, I don’t like the graphics, I don’t like the lack of direction, I don’t like the lack of story, I don’t like everything about it and wish it would just go away.

D

Deleted member

I know that’s the point. And that’s boring to me. I have paper and pencils to use my imagination. The idea of doing it in Minecraft just feels limited, in a bad way.

I really don’t like Minecraft, and the fact that it’s so popular only makes it worse. Most fads spread by youtubers fade after a time. But Minecraft refuses too. It doesn’t need to change because people like it so much.

I don’t like the gameplay, I don’t like the graphics, I don’t like the lack of direction, I don’t like the lack of story, I don’t like everything about it and wish it would just go away.

Then just don't watch Minecraft content, simple as that.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
man imagine if this show was still planned to have been on Nick...Glitch Tech definitely would have been cancelled

also TMNT 2012, Rick & Morty, Ren & Stimpy, Teen Titans GO, Pink Panther, Space Jam, Road to Diablo, Dragon Prince, and El Tigre (among other shows) were all co-produced by the same Canadian Company Bardel Entertainment

(a weird thing to learn that might have at least 1 singular person other than Mii read and then learn only to forget)

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
man imagine if this show was still planned to have been on Nick...Glitch Tech definitely would have been cancelled

also TMNT 2012, Rick & Morty, Ren & Stimpy, Teen Titans GO, Pink Panther, Space Jam, Road to Diablo, Dragon Prince, and El Tigre (among other shows) were all co-produced by the same Canadian Company Bardel Entertainment

(a weird thing to learn that might have at least 1 singular person other than Mii read and then learn only to forget)
Yeah. Nick had no faith in it. Though they still own it so they still profit off of it. Hopefully they get to make more seasons. It’s such a great show.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

The characters have names; Steve and Alex. The main Dungeons characters have names too, though I don’t remember what they were, I just remember two of their names being said since the two are in the official Biomes & Builders boardgame.

Really I don’t see why you care that something you don’t like is really popular. Just ignore it and focus on stuff you do like then? It’s not like it’s the only popular thing going on, or the only game that gets attention.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The characters have names; Steve and Alex. The main Dungeons characters have names too, though I don’t remember what they were, I just remember two of their names being said since the two are in the official Biomes & Builders boardgame.

Really I don’t see why you care that something you don’t like is really popular. Just ignore it and focus on stuff you do like then? It’s not like it’s the only popular thing going on, or the only game that gets attention.
I know. I know. I guess I asked for this when I did some brief looking into the series for a project related to indie games. Like I said, I just have to ride out the grump and remember to just avoid Minecraft.

You can’t deny though, its annoying when you don’t like a thing and it gets super popular. It’s human nature.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yeah. Nick had no faith in it. Though they still own it so they still profit off of it. Hopefully they get to make more seasons. It’s such a great show.
A change in ceo changed a lot for Nick so far. Canceling a big budget TMNT show and almost ending GT ( same animation company no less), more Spongebob spinoffs, less of everything else, so on so forth

one day Spongebob won’t he there for them, and they’ll have nothing but terrible shows due to screwing over the good ones. Will be their darkest day tbh

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I know. I know. I guess I asked for this when I did some brief looking into the series for a project related to indie games. Like I said, I just have to ride out the grump and remember to just avoid Minecraft.

You can’t deny though, its annoying when you don’t like a thing and it gets super popular. It’s human nature.
I suppose I'm not that human then 🤣 Other people enjoying things that I don't like doesn't really bother me, particularly in cases like this were it's IMO pretty trivial to ignore. As opposed to, say, a commercial, or a song that plays repeatedly over the radio at the retail store you work at, those would be really annoying because I couldn't really escape. But something like Minecraft, or Fortnite, or more recently Fall Guys blowing up into the mainstream and beyond when I've no interest in it doesn't bother me at all. I'll just play other games instead. Easy enough, right?

Heck, for a more topical example, I don't really care for video game speculation yet it's extremely common here. I'd much rather play a video game that's out (of which there are far too many to say I've played anything I'd be interested in; it's just not possible) than spend a bunch of time guessing about games or updates to games that aren't announced. I wouldn't even get a reward if I guess right! But it's certainly not annoying to see others speculating, I just leave and come back later. Plenty of other things with which to occupy my time :)

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

...what happened with Glitch Techs? I'm lost.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
...what happened with Glitch Techs? I'm lost.
Nickelodeon doesn’t seem to like it much. They didn’t advertise it and they sent it to Netflix instead of airing it. There are also ten episodes that are completely written and ready to be voiced and animated, but Nick froze production in 2019 so they might never be finished.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I mostly lean towards physical games myself. Nothing beats the feeling of actually holding the game in your hands and knowing it's yours, and I'm a sucker for a cool special edition whenever I can afford it.

My digital collection is primarily composed of indie stuff and multiplayer oriented games for the sake of convenience whenever I have people over to play.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I probably don't need to say it but physical as well. The ritual of inserting and turning on a game I feel is part of the experience, as is the joy of unwrapping titles and reading manuals (when they come with them now), and well as showing off one's collection.

Doing research and hunting down physical copies of certain titles can sometimes be be a joy just as much as playing the game. Some of my best memories as a gamer include going to conventions, traveling overseas, or learning how use off-the-beaten-path websites. I've spent hours on Price Charting, eBay, Yahoo Japan Auctions, and making lists of recommended titles on Hardcore Gaming, Racket Boy, and NintendoAge (RIP). There's one title right now I'm just waiting for an eBay Bucks sale so I can start negotiating with seller down.

I also do get paranoid in regards to digital titles no longer being available. It's only a matter of time before the 360/PS3 start shutting down and we start to see the next large wave of lost titles; the 3DS/Wii U shops are already being shut down in certain counties. RIP WiiWare

I mostly go digital for retro titles that are hard to get or haven't been re-released before such as the recent Neo Geo Pocket titles or I don't think guys like Limited Run Games will do. It took a few years longer than I thought it would but you can bet I fully when in on the Blaster Master limited edition collection. I think the only game I've played on the computer in full was FE12 when the English translation game out 7-8 years ago. I do not have a Steam account.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887

There is Jesse, Axel, Olivia, Petra, Lukas, and Reuben.

Anyways, I’m definitely watching the direct. I know not to expect anything. Maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised; it is 20 minutes, after all.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

And the Quest 64 stream's starting~

With an interview first. Now I wish I wasn't feeling sick, so while I can watch it, I'm going to need to call in to work. >.<;

For the record, this is what the interview stuff looked like. BingChang is the one on the left. He uses a beagle avatar, so having the body of a Hell Hound is fitting.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Afternoon. I actually slept pretty well for a rarity.

As for me I'm not gonna watch the Direct, usually has one or two nice things there though. I'm gonna sit back today, chill and play Death Stranding and something else. A gaming, cookies and juice day. (I'm 23, big kid at heart. OK, soda but that's not the point)

And just saying about physical but it is always satisfying to see them all stacked up.

Swicchhbabdab.jpg

I think Number 34 is in order soon. Maybe The Wonderful 101 Remaster or Atelier Ryza or Super Mario Maker 2.

I mostly lean towards physical games myself. Nothing beats the feeling of actually holding the game in your hands and knowing it's yours, and I'm a sucker for a cool special edition whenever I can afford it.

My digital collection is primarily composed of indie stuff and multiplayer oriented games for the sake of convenience whenever I have people over to play.
Similar to me on this when it comes to Switch as all my digitals are indies or games I would have found it easier digital (looking at you Katamari Reroll and Deadly Premonition). I also just love looking at some of the cover art for a long time.

I'll go physical as much as possible for Switch but digital if the console is disc based. It's too loud in my room until my life circumstances get better.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
So there's rumors of a general Nintendo Direct on the 28th.
There's also a new movie coming out on Disney+ on the 28th. Do you know what this means?

If there is a direct on the 28th, it will have to wait. I’m not missing another Phineas and Ferb movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom