• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, I don't know **** about Game Pass but there's no way in hell that it's any more of a scam than paying for a subscription to have Nintendo drip feed us NES/SNES ROMS whenever they feel like it.
At least it's bundled with their online multiplayer access. If Xbox bundled GamePass with Gold THEN it might be worth it a bit. But still, own your games. Don't be at the whim of Phil Spencer's mood.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Yeah, I don't know **** about Game Pass but there's no way in hell that it's any more of a scam than paying for a subscription to have Nintendo drip feed us NES/SNES ROMS whenever they feel like it.
The man, the myth(ra), the legend speaks on it again.

SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 I think you dug a hole for yourself again. Xbox knows what they are doing for it. Nintendo..............is being slow and honestly is just tiring to see.

Kind of sad to see the company just not doing more with their backlog of games which is legendary in the industry and hell even in the history of creative arts as a whole. It's near to the level of Disney with their "Vault Releases" but that's another level of corporate assing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

At least it's bundled with their online multiplayer access. If Xbox bundled GamePass with Gold THEN it might be worth it a bit. But still, own your games. Don't be at the whim of Phil Spencer's mood.
You keep on going about Phil Spencer specifically... you...uh...do know he doesn’t have 100% percent control over what is on and goes off the platform right? There’s usually a board of people hired to do that specific job as is. No one person has complete control over that kinda stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I miss Wii VC tbh. I can’t play a bunch of classics like Paper Mario without selling my arm these days without it!
I've taken matter into my own hands backing my catalog of old games up via the wonderful little tool known as RetroArch. Beautiful thing, emulation.

Of course, I'd happily pay Nintendo money to back up my old games via helpful Switch ports, but alas, here we are.

D

Deleted member

The man, the myth(ra), the legend speaks on it again.

SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 I think you dug a hole for yourself again. Xbox knows what they are doing for it. Nintendo..............is being slow and honestly is just tiring to see.
Nintendo is always pretty slow to catch up to trends, as is traditin. Just wait another 50 yea-

793F7054-113D-4487-946C-8C2A6E667660.png

D

Deleted member

Do you even understand how the pass works?

You can subscribe anytime to get access to a lot of games for a long time. I would say the Xbox Game Pass is amazing.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Do you even understand how the pass works?

You can subscribe anytime to get access to a lot of games for a long time. I would say the Xbox Game Pass is amazing.
And I can't understand why anyone would want to do that. It's a monthly subscription fee that adds up pretty quickly and then if you actually like a game and want to keep it forever you have to pay for it for real. And most games I decide I want to play I want to keep. I'm not a demo king of girl. I don't play games I don't know I'm gonna like. I can't think of any games I own I don't at least enjoy. So why would I want to pay for the subscription when I'm just gonna buy the games I like anyway?

D

Deleted member

And I can't understand why anyone would want to do that. It's a monthly subscription fee that adds up pretty quickly and then if you actually like a game and want to keep it forever you have to pay for it for real. And most games I decide I want to play I want to keep. I'm not a demo king of girl. I don't play games I don't know I'm gonna like. I can't think of any games I own I don't at least enjoy. So why would I want to pay for the subscription when I'm just gonna buy the games I like anyway?
Sure it’s not for you specifically, but that doesn't mean it’s a scummy business model. Those are two very different things.

For me the value is specifically in the demo-like nature, without the hinderance of demos locking off content to the full game. If I like a game, then I’ll buy it for real. If not, well then I didn't waste $60 on a game that’s permanently gonna sit on my shelve, yes?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Sure it’s not for you specifically, but that doesn't mean it’s a scummy business model. Those are two very different things.

For me the value is specifically in the demo-like nature, without the hinderance of demos locking off content to the full game. If I like a game, then I’ll buy it for real. If not, well then I didn't waste $60 on a game that’s permanently gonna sit on my shelve, yes?
I guess it's not scummy in it's current form. But the idea that it could become out ONLY method of playing games is why I think it's scummy. It's not what it is now, it's what it has the potential to grow into.

Dutch Raikuna

I guess it's not scummy in it's current form. But the idea that it could become out ONLY method of playing games is why I think it's scummy. It's not what it is now, it's what it has the potential to grow into.
Then couldn't you have just said that clearly in the first place?

Really honest to you Snake and down to earth I respect you but man debating with you on this is just dragging feet in the sand sometimes.

And really it won't. I think the backlash would be too great if that happened or they took away physicals.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That’s hardly an issue snake. Maybe in 100 years sure. But in the near future that’s like the extreme worst case scenario. Super unlikely considering how big of a medium Video Games are.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
That’s hardly an issue snake. Maybe in 100 years sure. But in the near future that’s like the extreme worst case scenario. Super unlikely considering how big of a medium Video Games are.
You'd think so. But how quickly did itunes and netflix kill the DVD? It's all going to streaming now. Another entertainment medium with no guarantee that the thing you love will be there forever for you to always watch. If it happened for movies and tv shows so quickly. then how much longer do video games have before buying a game once and owning it forever is no longer the way things work. Because where's the money in that? You sell it to someone once, you have to make more stuff to get more money from them. You put it on a streaming service people have to pay to access, you get to bill them for the rest of their lives.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Imma keep it real, I really don’t agree with this mentality. You’re letting your own paranoia affect your thoughts on this. Just because something has the potential to be scummy doesn’t mean it is scummy.

And no way subscription services will evolve into our only form of playing games.

You'd think so. But how quickly did itunes and netflix kill the DVD? It's all going to streaming now. Another entertainment medium with no guarantee that the thing you love will be there forever for you to always watch. If it happened for movies and tv shows so quickly. then how much longer do video games have before buying a game once and owning it forever is no longer the way things work. Because where's the money in that? You sell it to someone once, you have to make more stuff to get more money from them. You put it on a streaming service people have to pay to access, you get to bill them for the rest of their lives.
There’s still a market for DVDs.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Imma keep it real, I really don’t agree with this mentality. You’re letting your own paranoia affect your thoughts on this. Just because something has the potential to be scummy doesn’t mean it is scummy.

And no way subscription services will evolve into our only form of playing games.

There’s still a market for DVDs.
And you have pocketed the final ball for this debate. There'll always be a market for some physical media looks at vinyls.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
And really it won't. I think the backlash would be too great if that happened or they took away physicals.
Man, you have no idea how little people actually care about physical games nowadays, I've interacted with quiet a number of people who would rather buy digital than go out and buy the game.

Heck I have a friend who openly embraces the idea of streaming because "it's really easy to lose a disc or cartridge but if It's on cloud well never lose it!"

Shroob

Sup?
Man, you have no idea how little people actually care about physical games nowadays, I've interacted with quiet a number of people who would rather buy digital than go out and buy the game.

Heck I have a friend who openly embraces the idea of streaming because "it's really easy to lose a disc or cartridge but if It's on cloud well never lose it!"
Until the service dies. :bowsette:

Dutch Raikuna

Honestly I get real enjoyment of seeing my physical library grow. Which kinda hurts that I had to trade in some games at the start of the year. I love looking at my Switch library grow the past few years.

At the end of 2017 before I went to the US for Christmas it was just five. Now it's 33 and probably going to be 36 at the year.

I keep to physical if it's cartridge and digital if it's disc. Mostly because it can be loud at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom