• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

It's also hard to make every character have dialogue interactions when a lot of them don't talk.

:ultpikachu:"Pika Pika!"
:ultkirby: "Poyo!"
:ultduckhunt:"Bark!"
:ultpiranha: *Angry Plant Noises*

What a riveting and insightful conversation, I really learned a lot about these characters from this.
They actually communicate by reading each other's minds.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Same here. Been so since I was a kid and will always continue to be.

My favorite Godzilla incarnation is this one and favorite villain is SpaceGodzilla with my favorite movie being the 1954 film which I watched yesterday as part of my Godzilla Marathon to get ready for the new film on Thursday.
Yeah, love this version. The 2003 one from GMK might be my favorite though. Those soulless eyes are fantastic.

I've re-watched the 2014 film, read the prequel comics/art books, and been pulling out some of my old Godzilla games in preparation.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
And the only part of the problem is Nintendo being cheapskates on it

If Marvel VS Capcom 4 got announced but character interactions got scrapped Capcom wouldn't hear the end of it. Blazblue Cross Tag Battle has gottem criticisms recently as the newest DLC characters don't have unique interactions, which people are upset about as every other character in the game has those. The most enjoyment people get out of bad anime fighting games is the fun interactions like seeing how Dio Brando would treat his son or Kenshiro using his most iconic line on Madara Uchiha who rolls his eyes because he knows he's already dead. If Netherrealm decided to scrap interactions all of a sudden people would riot, etc. Yet Nintendo's getting a free pass for being below standard in this area
Pretty sure the roster woukd matter more then if ryu recognized wolverine.

Thinking nintendo is cheap or not does not change the fact it is a licensing issue. And look at pacman, sonic, etc. The bands to determine colors is most likely a mandate from the parent companies it is much harder then people give it credit for.

Also, 70 characters and 100 stages is putting in the effort. I would give up intros for more characters anyday.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Pretty sure the roster woukd matter more then if ryu recognized wolverine.

Thinking nintendo is cheap or not does not change the fact it is a licensing issue. And look at pacman, sonic, etc. The bands to determine colors is most likely a mandate from the parent companies it is much harder then people give it credit for.
You know, saying "It doesn't matter as much as the roster!" doesn't help because no ****. What's made first? The roster or character interactions? Again, EVERYONE ELSE DOES IT. Nintendo should NOT be allowed to have a free pass because it's Nintendo. Those licencing issues? Not real. If literally everyone else can do it for both big budget games and small budget games, Nintendo shouldn't be struggling there. If there are, then something's seriously gone wrong behind the scenes if they genuinely can't afford to at least do the bare minimum with text boxes without voice lines

NineS

Smash Lord
Yeah, love this version. The 2003 one from GMK might be my favorite though. Those soulless eyes are fantastic.

I've re-watched the 2014 film, read the prequel comics/art books, and been pulling out some of my old Godzilla games in preparation.
Favorite incarnation for me is stuck between 1954/shodaigoji, shingoji, and GMKgoji.
Favorite movie? Gonna have to go with good ol' 1954. The original King of the Monsters.
This one is looking good, though. Gave him back his original dorsal fins, and throwing in other monsters brought to modern times done right...
And the OST. Dear lord, Akira Ikufube's songs redone are amazing.

But I'm disappointed neither of Rodan's themes, 1956 original or otherwise, are going to be in. At least they gave him a cool new theme.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
You know, saying "It doesn't matter as much as the roster!" doesn't help because no ****. What's made first? The roster or character interactions? Again, EVERYONE ELSE DOES IT. Nintendo should NOT be allowed to have a free pass because it's Nintendo. Those licencing issues? Not real. If literally everyone else can do it for both big budget games and small budget games, Nintendo shouldn't be struggling there. If there are, then something's seriously gone wrong behind the scenes if they genuinely can't afford to at least do the bare minimum with text boxes without voice lines
Every other big budget fighting games we are talking about are held within their own ip.
And the stages are packed with details

And dialogue boxes, in a fighting game? When? Wol?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So I finally got around to starting Xenoblade 2. Overall it's pretty fun and the story seems very interesting, but holy crap is the English voice acting + lip syncing really bad. There was even a part where Pyra said a full sentence with her mouth closed. And don't even get me started on Rex's battle scream during the first fight involving Pyra.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
So I finally got around to starting Xenoblade 2. Overall it's pretty fun and the story seems very interesting, but holy crap is the English voice acting + lip syncing really bad. There was even a part where Pyra said a full sentence with her mouth closed. And don't even get me started on Rex's battle scream during the first fight involving Pyra.
Never played it. I like the character designs though. Long haired mythria is a win.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Every other big budget fighting games we are talking about are held within their own ip.

I didn't know Capcom owned Marvel. I didn't know Arcsys owned RWBY and Persona. I didn't know Namco literally owns every anime in existence. I didn't know Netherrealm owned the most iconic monsters in cinema alongside DC, I didn't know the creator of Blade Strangers own Cave Story, Shovel Knight and Binding of Isaac.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
You see our first mistake is talking about Smash as if it were your typical fighting game.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Hey hey, it looks like we're losing the forest in the trees here and getting a bit short with each other. Some folks really dig character interactions in fighting games and wish to see more of it, while others don't really find it to be that great and prefer other aspects. Can we find common ground in that we like fighting games, or change the subject please?

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Favorite incarnation for me is stuck between 1954/shodaigoji, shingoji, and GMKgoji.
Favorite movie? Gonna have to go with good ol' 1954. The original King of the Monsters.
This one is looking good, though. Gave him back his original dorsal fins, and throwing in other monsters brought to modern times done right...
And the OST. Dear lord, Akira Ikufube's songs redone are amazing.

But I'm disappointed neither of Rodan's themes, 1956 original or otherwise, are going to be in. At least they gave him a cool new theme.
Been avoiding listening to OST until I see the film... it's killing me.

Getting to hear Godzilla and Mothra's themes brought to a modern day American blockbuster is a dream come true though.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I didn't know Capcom owned Marvel. I didn't know Arcsys owned RWBY and Persona. I didn't know Namco literally owns every anime in existence. I didn't know Netherrealm owned the most iconic monsters in cinema alongside DC, I didn't know the creator of Blade Strangers own Cave Story, Shovel Knight and Binding of Isaac.
They owned the license. And had lots of leeway. Oh and mvci was plagued by issues. why no xmen?
Where was deadpool?

And the where is the fighting game persona crossover? Ir where issac is beatibg up shovel knight

Or are we no longer taking about fighting games?

---

Change subject.

I want echo dlc.
Please give us more echos.
I really want ms pacman. I would pay 2 bucks for that

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Post match on the victory screen. Like in Marvel vs Capcom. (A game which actually disproves both your points, now that I think about it. Even Infinite has this feature)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Nothing enrages me more than “it’s a fighting game, it doesn’t need a story”.

Also... HOW. Spirits is.... like a total joke. It’s just a bunch of pngs and multicolored characters withmodifiers. That’s not characters and their personalities interacting and bouncing off each other. That’s not Kraid showing up on PNF-408 to wreck house. That’s basically nothing. A very substantial nothing. But nothing.

Also, all star’s interactions were rad. Don’t care what you say.
Just as an aside, it's PNF-404. The joke is that it's an error message. Literally Error 404: Page Not Found.
No seriously, any DS game reccomendations outside of Pokemon?
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon.

Or New Mystery of the Emblem, its sequel, if you're okay with emulators.

NineS

Smash Lord
Been avoiding listening to OST until I see the film... it's killing me.

Have Godzilla and Mothra's themes brought to a modern day American blockbuster is a dream come true though.
The OST is amazing, I'll tell you that. Fitting that a guy who worked on God of War's OST would go on to work on the OST of a different kind of god.

You'll be internally scream of joy when you hear it in the theatre. This movie, I'd say, is more faithful and better than 2014 in every way from what I've heard and seen.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Oh yeah, character interctations!

Would love to see :ultlink: say "HYYYYYYYYYYAAAAH!" back to :ultmario: "YAYAYAYAYAAYAYAYAYAYAHOOOOOOOO", it would show so much about their characters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
They owned the license. And had lots of leeway. Oh and mvci was plagued by issues. why no xmen?
Where was deadpool?

And the where is the fighting game persona crossover? Ir where issac is beatibg up shovel knight

Or are we no longer taking about fighting games?
Oh, hang on? They owned the licences that they had to pay for to use temporarily and have to give back or renew constantly just like Smash?
You're arguing that a simple standard cannot be met because of licencing. The issue MVCI had is Marvel's CEO Ike Perlmutter being infamously petty. There's a huge difference between Nintendo deliberately below standard and one CEO screwing everyone over with movie rights owned by FOX. One is a case of someone stopping it from being possible, the other is being too lazy to try

Blazblue Cross Tag Battle is literally a crossover between Blazblue, Persona, RWBY and Under Night In Birth while Arcana Heart recently got added while another to-be-announced franchise is coming.

Isaac is a playable character in Blade Strangers. So is Shovel Knight. And Quote from Cave Story. And Ali from Code of Princess and a hell of a lot more

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
A lot of the character elements come to the forefront when you play as them. Besides the fact that a large quantity of the roster doesn't usually have full speaking lines in their home games, it wouldn't really work across the board to have them doing short lines when fighting each other.

Mr. Sakurai also spends a painstaking amount of time making sure each character feels like the character, by giving them aspects of their home series in their movesets, stages, music, items, etc. Sure, it could be better in some aspects, but it's literally the biggest gaming crossover, and is only getting bigger.

The reason Smash is leagues better than PSASBR, imho, is the love and care put into the game itself. That's why Sakurai could get Cloud, and the PSASBR team couldn't get Crash, Snake, Cloud, or otehr all-stars. Sure, it comes down to experience...but PSASBR tried to copy Smash without having the magic that makes Smash what it is.

They took icons of the time, like Big Daddy for example, and mashed together a crossover that was cool. But not the same. I was actually thinking the other day that Sony is going to actually struggle to come close to ever challenging Smash. Same with Microsoft. Their first party backlogs are lacking compared to Nintendo, their music is good, but for a fighting game? The ambient music of say, The Last of Us isn't going to have the same presence as some of the greatest tracks from Nintendo series.

The best part of Smash, especially, is the matchups. PSASBR doesn't have nearly as many big time mashups as Smash does. Sure, you had Kratos, you had Nathan Drake, you have Jack & Daxter...but who are their rivals? Smash has Mario vs. Sonic, Link vs. Cloud, Simon Belmont vs. Samus, and then numerous characters from the same series, which is also something Sony would struggle with considering the casts of their games aren't all that diverse compared to Nintendo.

Then you have Boss fights, like Yoshi or Kirby vs. Rathalos, or even Samus vs. Dracula. I'd argue the stage morph, while not as direct as the morphing stages in PSASBR, does the job just as well. You can play on Midgar, have Ifrit show up and light the stage up, then you crossover to Shadow Moses and have a Metal Gear pop out and blow things up. Smash is more about showing what those series are like, rather than saying, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if during a fight, it changed dimensions?" Smash isn't directly about that, it's about characterizing each individual series as what they are, and plopping characters into them.

We all may have different criteria for what makes something a better crossover. But to me, there's no comparison. Smash is king.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mario: "Do you-a like spaghetti?"
Link: "Hyaaaaaaaa!"
Mario: "I'm-a sorry, I couldn't understand you."
Link: "Hyaaaaaaa!"
Mario: "Why-a the **** do you not-a say anything!?"

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Alright I'll make one last post about the issue with crossover dialogue in Smash Bros.

As I mentioned before, a significant portion of Ultimate's roster doesn't really speak. There's a lot of silent protagonists and pokemon in the mix. Dialogue boxes simply wouldn't work for everyone.

What they can do is animate character. interactions, which is what people loved about Subspace...but that's really expensive. It's far more demanding of time and resources then your typical Street Fighter dialogue.

...But there's still some level of interaction in the gameplay. Because most character's personalities are expressed in their moves and animations so well, you can still get amusing results like Isabelle smacking Ridley with a squeaky hammer, or Optizard cheerfully Flare Blitzing into the middle of a chaotic close-range scramble between Mario and Fox. I think there's a lot of charm in that.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
If we're bringing in character interactions, then I hope Bowser has his Mario Sunshine voice.

Just imagine hearing "GANONDORF, HOW DARE YOU RUIN MY FAMILY VACATION BWAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Last edited:

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
Oh, hang on? They owned the licences that they had to pay for to use temporarily and have to give back or renew constantly just like Smash?
You're arguing that a simple standard cannot be met because of licencing. The issue MVCI had is Marvel's CEO Ike Perlmutter being infamously petty. There's a huge difference between Nintendo deliberately below standard and one CEO screwing everyone over with movie rights owned by FOX. One is a case of someone stopping it from being possible, the other is being too lazy to try

Blazblue Cross Tag Battle is literally a crossover between Blazblue, Persona, RWBY and Under Night In Birth while Arcana Heart recently got added while another to-be-announced franchise is coming.

Isaac is a playable character in Blade Strangers. So is Shovel Knight. And Quote from Cave Story. And Ali from Code of Princess and a hell of a lot more
As much as I'd like to **** on nintendo for not giving it their all MVCI isn't a good standard for crossovers at all.

D

Deleted member

If we're bringing in character interactions, then I hope Bowser has his Mario Sunshine voice.

Just imagine hearing "GANONDORF, HOW DARE YOU RUIN MY FAMILY VACATION BWAAAAAAAAAAAAA"
Ganondorf: *flame chokes the fire out of Bowser*

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Still want echo dlc. Lets me check characters that would be good candidates.

Like hilda for zelda. Or twili midna for zelda.

And if we could get more cosumtes. Like builder mario, would be nice.

So much DLC potential. Nintendo does not want my money. Shame.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Your point?
Just wanted to say their interaction is limited when they stay mute.

Oh yeah, character interctations!

Would love to see :ultlink: say "HYYYYYYYYYYAAAAH!" back to :ultmario: "YAYAYAYAYAAYAYAYAYAYAHOOOOOOOO", it would show so much about their characters.
I honestly would like to see more of :ultryu: or :ultken: for that. Especially with the list of quotes they already have.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Alright I'll make one last post about the issue with crossover dialogue in Smash Bros.

As I mentioned before, a significant portion of Ultimate's roster doesn't really speak. There's a lot of silent protagonists and pokemon in the mix. Dialogue boxes simply wouldn't work for everyone.

What they can do is animate character. interactions, which is what people loved about Subspace...but that's really expensive. It's far more demanding of time and resources then your typical Street Fighter dialogue.

...But there's still some level of interaction in the gameplay. Because most character's personalities are expressed in their moves and animations so well, you can still get amusing results like Isabelle smacking Ridley with a squeaky hammer, or Optizard cheerfully Flare Blitzing into the middle of a chaotic close-range scramble between Mario and Fox. I think there's a lot of charm in that.
You can improvise VERY easily. Amaterasu in MvC can't speak, she's a dog. So that's why her companion Issun talks. The Links can have their fairies do the talking for them. Again, even just textboxes without voice lines at the end of a match would suffice. People derided Ganondorf for looking like a goofy old man doing his daily jog for his running animation, if Ganondorf was able to have dialogue boxes if he won a match, he'd actually act like Ganondorf. People are exaggerating how 'impossible' this supposedly is
As much as I'd like to **** on nintendo for not giving it their all MVCI isn't a good standard for crossovers at all.
I'm not praising it, I'm saying that in terms of character interaction, it meets the standard as it has character specific dialogue pre and postmatch. Hell, Bucky and Cap even get a unique super whej they're on the same team, that's better than anything Smash does in terms of interactions

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Imagine Pokemon Trainer in the backround giving commands to all of the fighters.
"Ridley, I choose you!"
"Simon, Holy Water. NOW!"
"Pichu, jump on that DORIYAH and use Thunder!"
"GET BACK KING DEDEDE! GO STEVE HARVEY!"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom