• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Not really. Most of the games had it implied in manuels or people projecting. Only ones that come to mind were capcom fighters with unique openings for character combinations.

Nrs games are really bad fan fictions stories. And tekken is not much better. Tekken also never took itself seriously. And the ending, which smash never has had, were really the only time characters interacted in older tekken.

Wol has soul. I really enjoyed it. And the spirits concept is actually a really good idea.
I’m sorry... WHAT! Have you actually played those games? Because this is just.... objectively false.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I liked the World of Light, but still, cutscene wise, there wasn't just much meat to it. A bit more interactions would have been nice, though I understand why they wouldn't go that far to put them in, as others may have said.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
It could all depend on the circumstances as well, Netherrealm are the shining examples of creating stories for fighting games and extending their lore and context to the fights.
They need to take a page from tekken though. Mk takes itself way to seriously. And some of mk11 endings are so lame.

Could you elaborate on this please. I’m really curious to hear why you think that way.
So. You had the disasterous story mk trilogy with the silly resurrections and then mk4, which was funny as hell. But shinnok. Really.

Then the deadly allience. Kill someone. Drop plot threads. Then resurrect everyone. Theb the dragon king of silly. Then the end of the world to go iut, retcon it all and subvert expectations by killing everyone. It is all entertaining to a point, but really realky stupid.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
now here's a million dollar question for y'all

we know challenger pack 2 is probably erdrick
we've speculated challenger pack 3 is something big and bombastic for e3
some people think challenger pack 5 will similarly go out on something big

but who does that make the calm before the storm, challenger pack 4?

who fills the role of 'not big enough for E3, not big enough for the end'?
If we get a 1st party, it'll probably be there.

Alternatively, I think it could be a non-Microsoft Western company. Doom Guy or Ezio, probably

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Not really. Most of the games had it implied in manuels or people projecting. Only ones that come to mind were capcom fighters with unique openings for character combinations.

Nrs games are really bad fan fictions stories. And tekken is not much better. Tekken also never took itself seriously. And the ending, which smash never has had, were really the only time characters interacted in older tekken.

Wol has soul. I really enjoyed it. And the spirits concept is actually a really good idea.

But since this is a social thread, people should come up with unique character pairing openings.

Like pit being afraid of bayo before getting into idle stance.
Street Fighter does it, Guilty Gear does it, Blazblue does it, Tekken does it, MvC does it, DBFZ does it, Jump Force does it, the only other fighting game I can think of that hasn't done it is Power Rangers, a budget game that costs 20 bucks

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I understand given the amount of characters in this game they couldn't of had a story like SSE but I really had wished we would have gotten team ups. Ones I would had loved to have seen were.

:ultkrool::ultbowserjr:

:ultridley::ultwolf::ultdarksamus:

:ultrosalina::ultlucas:

:ultryu::ultlucario::ultken::ultincineroar:

:ultike::ultshulk:

:ultsimon::ultluigi::ultrichter:

:ultlittlemac::ultwiifittrainer:

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
They need to take a page from tekken though. Mk takes itself way to seriously. And some of mk11 endings are so lame.
Street Fighter does it, Guilty Gear does it, Blazblue does it, Tekken does it, MvC does it, DBFZ does it, Jump Force does it, the only other fighting game I can think of that hasn't done it is Power Rangers, a budget game that costs 20 bucks
All being 1v1 fighters. Not free for all 4 man smash.
And you mentioned two companies there. We also have to look at licensing. Cloud is an example of suffering from the licensing.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I liked the World of Light, but still, cutscene wise, there wasn't just much meat to it. A bit more interactions would have been nice, though I understand why they wouldn't go that far to put them in, as others may have said.
you know what would make WoL 10x better? hearing Marths beautiful voice more

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
All being 1v1 fighters. Not free for all 4 man smash.
And you mentioned two companies there. We also have to look at licensing. Cloud is an example of suffering from the licensing.
Then do what codecs do, randomize who interacts with whoever

False, Cloud not speaking English is Nintendo of America being cheapskates as seen with Pit, Viridi's 4 and I believe Ken's VAs not getting credited for reprising their roles and other characters getting different VAs such as Palutena getting replaced because she didn't want to go against her union rules. Steve Burton's union contract states that only he may officially voice Cloud in English and it's a good thing because voice actors tend to be treated pretty damn poorly in the gaming industry

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Then do what codecs do, randomize who interacts with whoever

False, Cloud not speaking English is Nintendo of America being cheapskates as seen with Pit, Viridi's 4 and I believe Ken's VAs not getting credited for reprising their roles and other characters getting different VAs such as Palutena getting replaced because she didn't want to go against her union rules. Steve Burton's union contract states that only he may officially voice Cloud in English and it's a good thing because voice actors tend to be treated pretty damn poorly in the gaming industry
Cloud has 2 songs, no old artwork, no spirits, not in any spirits and no mii costumes.
More then just the voice.

And with 4 characters entering, i see it being bad design to only focus on 2 entering.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Cloud has 2 songs, no old artwork, no spirits, not in any spirits and no mii costumes.
More then just the voice.

And with 4 characters entering, i see it being bad design to only focus on 2 entering.
Yeah because Nintendo didn't want to pay money for extra royalties as Square Enix actually gives a damn about creator rights

Smash already has bad design elements and they already did this for the codecs and Guidances. Why does Nintendo get a free pass when Capcom, Namco, Netherrealm, ArcSys, French Bread and more do it constantly? Nintendo shouldn't be getting a free pass for this at all

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Yeah because Nintendo didn't want to pay money for extra royalties as Square Enix actually gives a damn about creator rights

Smash already has bad design elements and they already did this for the codecs and Guidances. Why does Nintendo get a free pass when Capcom, Namco, Netherrealm, ArcSys, French Bread and more do it constantly? Nintendo shouldn't be getting a free pass for this at all
That is still a licensing problem

Free pass?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Actually let me check, when is that date for the Pokemon Direct? *3PM my time* Damn, I won't be able to watch because or work. I guess I'll just look it up on serebii during my break assuming it doesn't get leaked by corocoro
Well the direct is like a week before corocoro usually leaks so you should be good there

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That is still a licensing problem

Free pass?
And the only part of the problem is Nintendo being cheapskates on it

If Marvel VS Capcom 4 got announced but character interactions got scrapped Capcom wouldn't hear the end of it. Blazblue Cross Tag Battle has gottem criticisms recently as the newest DLC characters don't have unique interactions, which people are upset about as every other character in the game has those. The most enjoyment people get out of bad anime fighting games is the fun interactions like seeing how Dio Brando would treat his son or Kenshiro using his most iconic line on Madara Uchiha who rolls his eyes because he knows he's already dead. If Netherrealm decided to scrap interactions all of a sudden people would riot, etc. Yet Nintendo's getting a free pass for being below standard in this area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom