• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Power Rankings (October 28, 2007)- Will the update ever happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Game II

Smash Champion
Thanks again for the comments. First off...

ABSOLUTELY NO WAY DO I INTEND THIS TO REPLACE ANYTHING.

A few people asked me last night if I was going to make an announcement here and I said no because (and I remember exactly what I told people)

"... this is not an official ranking that will be recognized by Smashboards."

I do appreciate how people mentioned I should learn the game more or leave or do something else. That's fine. For 10 years, I was a sports reporter and did a rankings list 33 weeks for three sports. I essentially did the same thing, 3/4 statistics 1/4 my opinion. What did people tell me?

"You should quit." "I hope you get fired." "Just stop because you don't know what you're talking about."

So this type of criticism is dirt off the shoulder. If you guys really wanted me to be gone, that's fine because there's other communities that want me to go to their tourneys and I say no because I like watching Melee. Part of me does believe that if anyone here with credibility did what I just did, we'd be giving gold stars to that person.

Edrees, I like your suggestions, and, the more I thought about it, it is a possibility to do strength of schedule. The easiest solution moving forward without having to do more math is to have the losers bracket rearranged every round to have weakest vs. strongest. That's a total time waster, though, and no tournament organizer will do that. I think that eventually, probably by the summer, we'll be moving to an ELO system because, even though it's complicated as ****, it's the easiest way mathematically to determine who is better.

Finally, before I play some wi-fi matches, I want to say that another point of the ratings is to get some hot **** conversation going about updating the rankings. Now that I actually did something, people got on the defensive, and now people want the rankings updated. Mission accomplished.

--GCII

Lesheik

Smash Lord
focusing on less players will mean more accurate results
Why?

So this type of criticism is dirt off the shoulder. If you guys really wanted me to be gone, that's fine because there's other communities that want me to go to their tourneys and I say no because I like watching Melee. Part of me does believe that if anyone here with credibility did what I just did, we'd be giving gold stars to that person.
We want you to stay with the smash community!

EDIT: I agree with all y'all

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
I like Glenn's idea, although it has it's flaws it's certainly a step in the right direction. Not saying it should be used in place of panelists, as everyone pointed out would be kind of drastic and silly. But it's certainly a good tool to look at while the panelists are formulating an update on the rankings.

Jem.

Smash Master
Good job barely beating the Titans who are injury *****. And were the worst team in the playoffs by far.

WA, time to put Good Job Seahawks for once again winning in qwest field. Playoffs aren't rare for us lolz.

romeo619

Smash Ace
Good job barely beating the Titans who are injury *****. And were the worst team in the playoffs by far.

WA, time to put Good Job Seahawks for once again winning in qwest field. Playoffs aren't rare for us lolz.
why are you even talking shit about the nfl on swf. nobody cares

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
glenn is a freaking champ, everyone knows it, just people were freaking out thinking it was a replacement list for some reason.

i just found it interesting is all, because it IS intersting.

obviously the pannelists hold more power than the mathmatically done list, but that doesn't make it any less interesting to me *shrug*

glenn's great at compiling tournament results, getting our videos up, and making sure socal gets noticed.

without glenn we'd have like zero videos in socal, everyone is to freaking lazy to do anything at all

i say kudos to glenn, and MAJOR kudos at that.

nublet06

Smash Lord
Thanks again for the comments. First off...

ABSOLUTELY NO WAY DO I INTEND THIS TO REPLACE ANYTHING.

I do appreciate how people mentioned I should learn the game more or leave or do something else. That's fine. For 10 years, I was a sports reporter and did a rankings list 33 weeks for three sports. I essentially did the same thing, 3/4 statistics 1/4 my opinion. What did people tell me?

"You should quit." "I hope you get fired." "Just stop because you don't know what you're talking about."

in the words of many other smasher's

CAAALLLMMMM DOWN

i just thought that you intended to bring some kind of change to the ranking system, because i did see on your website a while ago an article about how the ranking system needs to change for brawl. so sorry if i was wrong. and like i said your list is cool and nice to hae on the side.

and yes i did mention you should learn a little more about the game. and i dont see that as a problem. if you are offended by that im sorry. but i dont remember anyone telling you to leave or anything like that so i dont know where that came from.

we all appreciate you going to tournaments and covering them. its great. you even put up videos (even though i wish you would just give in and use youtube for all of them because its much faster with loading times) but i dont understand where you think all the hate is coming from. and if anyone with credibility, like for instance neal, came up with this system we would be saying the same thing. its cool but its not a as good as a panelist ranking system.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
you should learn a little more about the game. and i dont see that as a problem. if you are offended by that im sorry. but i dont remember anyone telling you to leave or anything like that so i dont know where that came from.
I think he's knows enough about the game to rank players.

Charoo

Smash Champion
come online 2morrow if u want to be a panelist. (ask edrees lawls)

inactive players to be taken out
ken
mana
arash
aesis
wolf
ultra luigi
straight

not sure
knives
romeo
boa
mike y

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Wouldn't like all the Palmdalians be considered for inactivity if Aesis is on that list?

emerican

Smash Ace
Wouldn't like all the Palmdalians be considered for inactivity if Aesis is on that list?
aesis is the only one who said he doesnt want to play competitive smash anymore

the only reason the rest of us havent made it to the last 2 big tourneys is cause it was too close to the holidays, and personally, work has my nuts in a vice.

stay away from the grocery buisness.. (end of johns)

edit : we still **** you

Charoo

Smash Champion
i feel boa is more inactive than aesis
come online 2morrow if u want to be a panelist. (ask edrees lawls)

inactive players to be taken out
ken
mana
arash
aesis
wolf
ultra luigi
straight

not sure
knives
romeo
boa
mike y
aesis is the only one who said he doesnt want to play competitive smash anymore

the only reason the rest of us havent made it to the last 2 big tourneys is cause it was too close to the holidays, and personally, work has my nuts in a vice.

stay away from the grocery buisness.. (end of johns)

edit : we still **** you
u got this bret =). I only put aesis as inactive for sure because he said that he's inactive (and staying true to it). The people on inactive lsit r the one I know for sure that they r pretty much inactive and not because they can't make it due to stuff.

Champ, what time would you like to meet online?
Aw, the list would look so lonely without Palmdale people on it :(
ask edrees because he's the man with the plan

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I'm pretty much the only panelist who is really active on these boards, (Hugo's here sometimes ) so I think I'm going to take some initiative here. We need new panelists, so, my plan is at the ballroom tourney I'm going to make an announcement of whoever wants to be a panelist or still be a panelist we'll meet up and chat and we'll make a group decision based on who is there. Just look for the announcement. I think we are kicking Arash and Champ off and looking for 3 or 4 new ones. Sorry I love you guys but you don't know enough about the community anymore =) Maybe even Neal but we need his sexy time.

But lets be honest we know two people who are for sure going to be panelists:

Gimpyfish
Rickety

So yeah =)

nublet06

Smash Lord
you can take me off the list.

brawl comes out in 29 days people. it would mean a lot more for some other person to make it on to the list due to my absence then it will ever mean to me. i havent even remembered where i am on the list since 2 updates ago. i think im 13th? but im not really sure.

and i highly doubt ill go to another tournament before brawl except some local comic store ones i found out about.

edit: 17th!!! WTF THIS IS AN OUTRAGE I DEMAND TO BE HIGHER. jk

6th Sense

Smash Lord
I'm pretty much the only panelist who is really active on these boards, (Hugo's here sometimes ) so I think I'm going to take some initiative here. We need new panelists, so, my plan is at the ballroom tourney I'm going to make an announcement of whoever wants to be a panelist or still be a panelist we'll meet up and chat and we'll make a group decision based on who is there. Just look for the announcement. I think we are kicking Arash and Champ off and looking for 3 or 4 new ones. Sorry I love you guys but you don't know enough about the community anymore =) Maybe even Neal but we need his sexy time.

But lets be honest we know two people who are for sure going to be panelists:

Gimpyfish
Rickety

So yeah =)
I vote JTB for Neal's spot..

if he has $20 lolz

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Panelist should be:
Edrees - Irvine
Gimpyfish - Riverside
HugS - San Fernando
Rickety - San Diego
DSF - Los Angeles
Rolling On the Floor Laughing - Palmdale (if Palmdale wants to attend tourneys before brawl)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom