• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Power Rankings (October 28, 2007)- Will the update ever happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
wow ok so i skipped the racial and grammar discussion to address one comment on there.

to Evil Luigi Gaymesis-

Naruto is better than bleach.

furthermore, stop trying to make yourself feel better by posting on the boards on how you "3 stocked me", when u lose to my marth and my fox and my falco.

Even furthermore, i 2nd what mike said- shut the f*ck up, no one likes you. The only time you'll be captain is when you go join the Rancho Kids Crew.

P.S- bleach character development sucks balls. Do we care about anyone, or anything for that matter honestly?

what is ichigo training for? to save the world? who cares, he's as boring as a pine cone.
lol naruto lol

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
While knives' post was completely irrelevant I must say he brings up some good points. Irregardless, the incegrieviousness of his post is unnecessary in such a thread. On a side note, why did we need "ir" "in" and "un" to express the same thing, and for that matter, why does incegrievious sound like it should be a word?

MrPBody

Smash Journeyman
I'm shocked. I leave the state for not even a week and you not only miss me, but your throwing away our friendship for your gay relationship with knives

I think mike y azeem and I should start our own crew. #1 2 and 3 worst smashers in socal ^_^
pbody we'll also be accepting your application
you'd be # 0
Don't let my mewtwo or roy give u a challenge next time =]

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
"Irregardless" is not a word. Look it up in the dictionary. P just always trys to use big words and trys to sound more intellectual than he is. The other day I pointed out how The Game II and I have good grammar and ever since then, P has been trying even harder to use bigger words and more punctuation marks but it's not working.

I'm sure P's response to this will look something like this:

"Irregardless is a quazi-semi and yet perplexing vocabulationary conjuction in which the homo-sapien extorts his breath into saying for purposes of translating the word "regardless" in to which the homo-sapian using the word has, yet, no regard. i wuz currect inn tha wayy eye uzed itt soo shutt tha f*** upp and learn Engrish u idiott!"

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
"Irregardless" is not a word. Look it up in the dictionary. P just always trys to use big words and trys to sound more intellectual than he is. The other day I pointed out how The Game II and I have good grammar and ever since then, P has been trying even harder to use bigger words and more punctuation marks but it's not working.

I'm sure P's response to this will look something like this:

"Irregardless is a quazi-semi and yet perplexing vocabulationary conjuction in which the homo-sapien extorts his breath into saying for purposes of translating the word "regardless" in to which the homo-sapian using the word has, yet, no regard. i wuz currect inn tha wayy eye uzed itt soo shutt tha f*** upp and learn Engrish u idiott!"
Yeah, you're trying way too hard, Thomas. You should re-read your post and see how ridiculous you sound.

If you actually think I sit down and go, "HMMM, WHAT BIG WORD CAN I USE NOW?" that really speaks to your own limitations rather than mine. Yes Thomas, your post really touched me to the point that, since then, I have been so cognizant (take THAT, Thomas!) of the words I write just to try to impress you!

... Right. You're that relevent to me, Thomas. Really.

As far as I'm concerned no words I use are "big"; they naturally come to me when I write and it's whatever.

English is the most flexible language in existence. Irregardless is a word, simply not commonly accepted in academia. (Hey, are you impressed yet Thomas?! Please be my friend now!) You do realize that nonstandard use of a word still counts as actually existing as a word, right? Just like "ain't" is also a word...

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Let's put this to rest guys... irregardless is a silly "word" because it uses the negative prefix "ir" and the negative suffix "less" so it really just mean regard. While it isn't really a word, many people may use it for either emphasis, knowingly of it's ridiculous nature, or for comic relief... also knowingly of it's ridiculous nature. It's not uncommon for people to use it in nonstandard situations, ie. the internet."ain't" has actually been put in the Merriam Webster, so it is a word now. Irregardless hasn't. DONE.

Yeah OC3 is right around the corner, hope that everyone's training up for it. Just 5 days away guys. Best part is after that there's EVO West! O.o Power Rankings are gonna be crazy after those 2.

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
I guess we should just stick to smash talk on "tournament" boards. Oh wait! I forgot! P doesn't go to tournaments anymore after he repeatedly lost to JTB and me. He claims he "doesn't play seriously" anymore. I don't know why he still comes on the boards every day when he doesn't even go to tournaments anymore. A lot of his posts are either him making an attempt to sound intelligent and educated, or they're posts just to raise his post count like "M2K is ****." N00bs think we don't notice if they have an account for 6 months and already have 1,000 posts. They think if they're title is "Smash Apprentice" that we're going to be impressed and think they're good.

Oh! I find it hilarious how my post on what I think's P's reaction is going to be turned out to be very similar to what he actually did reply with. P should thank me really. He doesn't go to tournaments anymore after he's been beaten sensless so all he has is the boards. If we don't give him the attention that he craves, then he has nothing else.

You're welcome.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium

Seriously, if you want to keep arguing, theres a little application called AIM you can use to do so. I don't want to see this thread get locked again :(

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ah, whatever. I've stopped caring about this thread. If SoCal doesn't care enough about power rankings to keep this discussion on topic, then neither do I, and we'll just close down the whole rankings thing alltogether.

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
Ahhhh!! Everyone is right. I'm sorry I contributed to putting the rankings in jeopardy.

Back on subject:

What does everyone think of people's performance against outside competition in relation to people's rankings which are based mostly off of inside competition? For example, let's say that I always lose to SoCal player A at every tournament. It's not ****, they're close matches, but I always lose. Now, let's say SoCal Player A loses to NorCal player B. Then let's say NorCal player B faces me next round and I beat them. Who would be ranked higher, SoCal player A or me?

The reason I ask this is because I'm hearing too much of "This person is on the list because he beat this guy, that guy, and that guy." It makes sense that if you beat well-respected players that your ranking would go up. The only problem I have with this is that it's based too much on inside competition.

I guess what I want to know is this: Is the list based off of how well people would place if it was an all SoCal tournament? Or is it based on who would do the best against outside competition?

I think that's something really worth thinking about when the next list comes out. ^_~

LunInSpectra

Smash Lord
stackoverflow.com/users/1459556/rey-gonzales
NorCal bases their rankings off theoretical placement in an outside tournament with diverse competition (in order). For example, if All 20 ranked players in NorCal went to OC3, the highest person placing would be Isai, then Jeff, me, and so on. As in, Isai would place higher than Jeff, who is higher than me.

We put more weight into beating outside competition than inside. For example, I'm 19-15 with Jeff (19-15 tourny sets) and I'm still ranked lower than him.

Knivez

Smash Ace
HEy neal

I like men.

about the rankings, here is my general view on how the whole matter works.

25 strangers on an island...who work together. But only 1 survivor.

EzynJAY

Smash Lord
oh man everyones so hostile now...guess everyone falls apart when i leave..guess ill have to start commin around again..=)

Arash

Smash Lord
socal is mostly inside competition since we play each other a lot, but we factor in skilled outside competition as well

now if only socal traveled more:(

also, at this rate it'll turn into the national rankings where the list was posted and it was locked immediately, and while that'll be better, it's sad to see the stupid trash talk disappear entirely

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
actually i don't go to tournaments because my normal ride has **** to do in the summer.

and last time i played you my n00b marth beat your peach and laughable zelda simply by spamming fsmash...

I've barely played since UCLA, but would you like a mm? $10, best out of 5. Hey Fabian, gonna come over and give me actual peach practice? ^^

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
Actually, your record vs me in tournaments is 0-3. Because you split with my Zelda in a friendly, that makes you better than me? I beat you at Devry (repeatedly) and I beat you twice at S & C, and every time I beat you, you reset the game.

Ten dollar money match? Do you realize who you're talking to? $100.00 money match or nothing. I want to see the money up-front and put in the hands of someone who will hand it over to me when I beat you 5-0. Oh! And resetting a match after you get 3-stocked doesn't make it a tie either. LOL

Back on subject:

I like NorCal's idea better. I think outside competition should be given more weight than inside competition. The way I see it, I can place higher than my best friend at a tournament, but because we know each other's playing style so well, we can split against each other in matches. I see SoCal like a big group of friends who know each other's style well enough that anything goes. Besides, I think the power rankings are more for outsiders to know who's good in their area so they know who they have to beat. If it's all about inside competition, then it seems like it's more just for the purpose of trash talk.

I just want the panelists to really think about what they want to accomplish with this list when the next one comes out.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
The skill level of the opponents you lost to and beat are factored in . Whether they are outside competition or inside doesn't make a huge weight in our decisions, at least mine. It helps to be able to beat people outside, but the main focus is the talent level of your opponent.

Yeah it'd be great if it was based hugely on outside competion, but who on the list has outside experience? like 5 people.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Actually, your record vs me in tournaments is 0-3. Because you split with my Zelda in a friendly, that makes you better than me? I beat you at Devry (repeatedly) and I beat you twice at S & C, and every time I beat you, you reset the game.

Ten dollar money match? Do you realize who you're talking to? $100.00 money match or nothing. I want to see the money up-front and put in the hands of someone who will hand it over to me when I beat you 5-0. Oh! And resetting a match after you get 3-stocked doesn't make it a tie either. LOL
Actually I beat you once at Devry and threw another set (come on guy, I went Falcon...). Yeah, I have trouble v Peaches, and yours only because you spam dsmash. Don't worry, though, if I can't beat a Peach spammer I don't deserve to win.

Hahaha, who am I talking to? HAHAHAHAHA. Okay, how about a $500 money match at Champ Combo?

Fabian, I bought a GC / Smash again so we can play whenever (well, still waiting on GC to come in the mail, but yeah).

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
lmfao. That was a DK jump. Your Fox would've made it over.

I think outside competition should be given more weight than inside competition. I see SoCal like a big group of friends who know each other's style well enough that anything goes. Besides, I think the power rankings are more for outsiders to know who's good in their area so they know who they have to beat.
i agree

Yeah it'd be great if it was based hugely on outside competion, but who on the list has outside experience? like 5 people.
also agree

I have trouble v Peaches, and yours only because you spam dsmash.
lol, 'cuz only Thomas' Peach spams downsmash....

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
Actually, I think I've pointed out several times at every tournament that my Peach is unique because it "doesn't" spam downsmash and turnips. But there is a little truth to what you said because Sheik can be a tough match for Peach if they grab a lot and Peach's only answer to that is downsmash (or side-stepping, which I don't do well.) With Marth or Jigglypuff, I'll spam turnips. But aside from those 3 match-ups, I really don't spam D-smash or turnips. I think my best match-up is Peach vs Peach because other Peaches spam those moves and it's really easy for me to predict what another Peach is going to do next.

Oh! I wanted to make a small suggestion, just to get the idea out there. Maybe we can Make the list look like this:

Top Tier:
Ken
DSF
Hugs

High Tier:
Edrees
Knivez
etc.
etc.

Upper Tier:
etc.
etc.
etc.

Mid Tier:
etc.
etc.
etc.

How does that sound? It's kind of unique.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
"I moved up a tier w00t" I think that it sounds like a cool idea, it might actually be more accurate too. Instead of giving someone a number, they're just in a tier implying that either one may beat the other without too much consequence. I don't know too much about how it would work but it's definitely a neat idea. The only real downside I can see right off the back is that some good players are going to be labeled bottom tier, and that makes me sad.

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
That can be easily resolved Pat.

God Tier
Gold Tier
Silver Tier
Bronze Tier
Platinum Tier
Top Tier
High Tier
Upper Tier
Great Tier
Good Tier

Just come up with different names.

DAHKTERem

Smash Ace
That can be easily resolved Pat.

God Tier
Gold Tier
Silver Tier
Bronze Tier
Platinum Tier
Top Tier
High Tier
Upper Tier
Great Tier
Good Tier

Just come up with different names.
Why the hell is Platinum under Gold, Silver, AND Bronze?

Knivez

Smash Ace
LOL good **** Mike, i was wondering the same thing.

I see SoCal like a big group of friends who know each other's style well enough that anything goes.
I hate half the people in socal, and like the other half more than they deserve.

True, we all act gay-friendly in tournies, but when it comes down to it, romeo and Mike Y suck.

OK, facts aside- i dont think we should have to relabel the tier lists to compensate for one's feelings and/or johns.

If you're in the "I beat Fabian" tier, then you'll most likely try even harder to move up to the "No Controller Johns" tier, and eventually even the "This tier actually means something" tier.

I think that will solve all of socal's problems...by having trash talk even within the tier list.

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
Let's go with Knives' idea. He's right about people being too sensitive to names like "Low Tier." I also like the name "No Johns Tier."

About the "platinum" issue: I didn't necessarily put it in order. I was just trying to throw some extra names out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom