• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee Community

Jun.

Smash Lord
I don't think anyone takes marth seriously anymore. He gets camped, chaingrabbed, gimped, ***** in teams, comboed, triple kneed etc.

Who's the last person who got top 10 in a west regional using mainly marth... Falcomist? Taj? I don't even know.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
I don't think anyone takes marth seriously anymore. He gets camped, chaingrabbed, gimped, ***** in teams, comboed, triple kneed etc.

Who's the last person who got top 10 in a west regional using mainly marth... Falcomist? Taj? I don't even know.
lol thats west regional tho. that doesn't make marth bad just 'cause wc sucks with him

there's still a lot of good marths outside of westcoast for sure ; also mew2king is still one of the best players in the world, and mains marth

Jun.

Smash Lord
Oh I meant like a wc marth player. M2K doesn't count lol.

Does mew2king even main marth anymore? Doesn't he go primarily sheik?

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Oh I meant like a wc marth player. M2K doesn't count lol.

Does mew2king even main marth anymore? Doesn't he go primarily sheik?
lol wait so the part about marth getting camped/chaingrabbed and all that is referring to WC marths only is what your saying?

And yeah I think he does. He recently 3 stocked eggm in tourny with marth then switched to shiek for the hell of it. I think he just plays whoever he feels most comfortable with out of marth/shiek/occasionally fox nowadays, shiek is probably chosen most since sheik seems to have some of the better matchups

Jun.

Smash Lord
I'm just saying marth in general in high level play will get dirtied pretty badly by other top tier characters if the opponent is out to win. I think the best examples of this are jman vs strawhat at pound4 and Connor vs G$ at pats house (go Connor!). Both marth players are very skilled but had a great disadvantage in the sets due to the mechanics of the matchups. Granted m2k "sorta" counts as a marth main who places high but I gurantee if he gets camped by a shiek/fox even peach he won't continue the set with marth. Btw I main marth lol.

ResidentWaffle

Smash Lord
I'm sure the fact that marth can chaingrab/easily gimp space animals

does not have anything to do with his high tier game.

Jun.

Smash Lord
I'm sure the fact that marth can chaingrab/easily gimp space animals

does not have anything to do with his high tier game.
honestly I think marth gets gimped these days *almost* as easily as spacies get gimped by marth. Not to mention spacies these days don't really.... get grabbed too easily. It's easier to laser marth than it is for marth to get a safe approach to fox/falco and grab them.

no johns but life is hard for marths these days man.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
omg jun you are TERRIBLE

marth is tied for the 2nd best character in the game and you have no idea what youre talking about

if this convo is continuing when i get back from my run ill explain more

MARTH GETS GIMPED? WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!?!

Jun.

Smash Lord
I forgot who said it but the person put it perfectly when he stated "marth's placement in the tier list is due to phenoms such as Ken/azen/m2k." If marth was truly tied for second I believe that there would be more marth scrubs running around ****** spacies and floaties alike. In recent tournaments it's pretty evident that there are even more peach mains than marth now (might just be a socal thing)

and yeah I believe that Marty gets gimped quite easily now. I am mainly talking about neutrals but marth's linear and straightforward recovery allows opponents to safely predict where he will be when he is recovering. Marth is the safest off the stage when he's high up out of reach but stun inducing projectiles from peach/falco sorta sheik forces marth to recover from below in which case all of the characters have a way of edgeguarding marth or just lightshielding near the edge. Fox doesn't have any decent way of gimping Marth other than the shine but fox can just... Kill marth upwards or even sideways pretty easily mainly uthrow uair which can be easily setup by a waveshine.

On top of all this there is and area off the stage extending past the stage and a little under in which marth can't be while he's returning bc he'll just get drop baired by almost anyone with a decent bair.

I think that marth is pretty **** good but in certain situations, his quality of being the only one in the top four without a projectile leaves him vulnerable to being forced into an appraoch even when he is at a disadvantage. Please point out where I'm wrong so I can improve my marth if anything. :/

Adam M!

Smash Lord
falco
sheik

fox
marth

puff
peach
ics
falcon
*** the rest.

I forgot who said it but the person put it perfectly when he stated "marth's placement in the tier list is due to phenoms such as Ken/azen/m2k."
yet you agree w/ lovage who placed puff 3rd. mango and hbox aren't phenoms? i could make that argument w/ every character.

If marth was truly tied for second I believe that there would be more marth scrubs running around ****** spacies and floaties alike. In recent tournaments it's pretty evident that there are even more peach mains than marth now (might just be a socal thing)
oh, so you want to go by the metagame? then you agree it's inarguable to place anyone but falco no. 1.

. I am mainly talking about neutrals but marth's linear and straightforward recovery allows opponents to safely predict where he will be when he is recovering. Marth is the safest off the stage when he's high up out of reach but stun inducing projectiles from peach/falco sorta sheik forces marth to recover from below in which case all of the characters have a way of edgeguarding marth or just lightshielding near the edge. Fox doesn't have any decent way of gimping Marth other than the shine but fox can just... Kill marth upwards or even sideways pretty easily mainly uthrow uair which can be easily setup by a waveshine.
marth has like the best recovery in the game, non-floaty edition. he can always wait and sweet spot the ledge or upb right on the stage if you know what you're doing. and since he's marth you don't want to stay on the ledge too long anyway cuz if you mess up even a little then you die.

light shield trick is inconsistent, if you're far away you can either upb early and float to grab the ledge or you can just upb on the stage and since you force them on the ledge they are stuck there for a second and can't punish you properly.

On top of all this there is and area off the stage extending past the stage and a little under in which marth can't be while he's returning bc he'll just get drop baired by almost anyone with a decent bair.
dunno if you knew this but a sword outprioritizes a kick

Please point out where I'm wrong so I can improve my marth if anything. :/
that's the main reason i think you're saying this, cuz this is what troubles you as a marth main but that doesnt have any bearing on anything. i watch a billion smash vids, how often do you see marth gimped without a massive mistake from the marth main (i.e. predictably forward bing so he can get shine spiked)?

SuperRad

Smash Master
we had a puff vs sheik ongoing debate at our last hub house tournament
i think most people thought sheik had the advantage but lucien was on puff's side

i think falco might have the advantage in fox/falco and sheik might have the advantage in falco/sheik. but im not going to act like i know that much <_<

Jack of Blades!

Smash Journeyman
puff beats sheik

there's an argument about the matchup going on in the sheik boards. It's the general consensus that puff wins.
They were arguing about that, but it somehow turned into a sheik vs peach debate between amsah and armada, and some others that were pitching their 2 cents. Now it's sorta died down.

Kira-

Smash Champion
fox
puff

falco/sheik

peach
marth
falcon

in order but very slight differences (advantages)
marth sux imo, very very difficult to play at highest level

lol wait so the part about marth getting camped/chaingrabbed and all that is referring to WC marths only is what your saying?
rofl

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
fox
puff

falco/sheik

peach
marth
falcon

in order but very slight differences (advantages)
marth sux imo, very very difficult to play at highest level
Kira, did you notice that your tier list is totally parallel to Sheiks worst to best matchups? lol :)(minus ICs or course)

And LOL @ that commentary. I wish I could talk like that.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I'm glad someone else besides me thinks Falcon > Peach on the tier list.
Also I don't really get how Puff has the advantage over Sheik.

pockyD

Smash Legend
the gist is that sheik has next to no punish/approach game on puff and puff has the massive punish game

i think sheik is at an advantage in a neutral position (although her options are extremely limited, she only needs the one or two to have the upper hand) and based on that it's at least even, though

Top Bottom