• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee Community

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
ice climbers are heavy
ice climbers are heavy
ice climbers are heavy
ice climbers are heavy
ice climbers are heavy
ice climbers are heavy
ice climbers are heavy

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
well i dunno about the "in great detail" part, but i smash to the side on both the control stick and the c-stick and that usually works. for exact frame data or timing and stuff i think you should just search the fox threads

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
Can somebody tell me, in great detail, how to DI out of Fox's uair?
im a big fan of this, and started doing it because i have sloppy di on foxupthrows.

when you get hit, there are a few frames where you cant move (think getting charge blastered) and the game may 'pause' or slow down for a sec. this is called hitstun.

during each frame of hitstun you have access to 1 SDI. you can use your SDI by moving the joystick from any position (including neutral) to a new position. melee recognizes 16 angles on the joystick (halfway between each corner). you do not have to return to neutral to use another SDI.

samus' charge shot has 18 frames of hit stun. go find the clip from perfect control where mario techs it on the klaptrap stage. so each frame, mario moves the joystick to a new direction, using his 1 SDI per frame.

he moves in funny angles. this is because he can get farther to the left by going upleft, left, downleft, instead of going left neutral left neutral left

idk if you play 2d fighters, but imagine this is the joystick, 5 being neutral, facing right:

forward smash would be 6. dtilt would be 2.

ideally you would want to move in a 9-6, 6-3, or 9-6-3 direction to escape the upair.
like cranking it back and forth between up-right and down-right (or left).

by doing so, you are moving the joystick rapidly, and allowing for possible SDI inputs on many frames.
i find it MUCH easier to SDI out when having no di on the upthrow. you are right on top of him, and there should be no compliacations. when you DI, you are both moving in 1 direction, but your relative placement can vary a lot.

its just timing and practice. its nice playing technical foxes, because their upthrow upairs are very fast and efficient, so the timing is always the same. against sloppy foxes, you will have to focus on your timing more because the upair speed will vary.

kind of rambly but yeha. talk to me about doublestick or ledge teching if u want, i memorized all of magus420's stuff

pockyD

Smash Legend
for the record, 'hit stun' usually refers to the time after you get hit but before you can do a move/jump/whatever, i.e. the time in which if you were to get hit again, it would count as 'consecutive hits'

which is why people complain about barlw not having 'hit stun', etc (the stupid magical airdodge window)

zBOREDOMKINGz

Smash Apprentice
im a big fan of this, and started doing it because i have sloppy di on foxupthrows.

when you get hit, there are a few frames where you cant move (think getting charge blastered) and the game may 'pause' or slow down for a sec. this is called hitstun.

during each frame of hitstun you have access to 1 SDI. you can use your SDI by moving the joystick from any position (including neutral) to a new position. melee recognizes 16 angles on the joystick (halfway between each corner). you do not have to return to neutral to use another SDI.

samus' charge shot has 18 frames of hit stun. go find the clip from perfect control where mario techs it on the klaptrap stage. so each frame, mario moves the joystick to a new direction, using his 1 SDI per frame.

he moves in funny angles. this is because he can get farther to the left by going upleft, left, downleft, instead of going left neutral left neutral left

idk if you play 2d fighters, but imagine this is the joystick, 5 being neutral, facing right:

forward smash would be 6. dtilt would be 2.

ideally you would want to move in a 9-6, 6-3, or 9-6-3 direction to escape the upair.
like cranking it back and forth between up-right and down-right (or left).

by doing so, you are moving the joystick rapidly, and allowing for possible SDI inputs on many frames.
i find it MUCH easier to SDI out when having no di on the upthrow. you are right on top of him, and there should be no compliacations. when you DI, you are both moving in 1 direction, but your relative placement can vary a lot.

its just timing and practice. its nice playing technical foxes, because their upthrow upairs are very fast and efficient, so the timing is always the same. against sloppy foxes, you will have to focus on your timing more because the upair speed will vary.

kind of rambly but yeha. talk to me about doublestick or ledge teching if u want, i memorized all of magus420's stuff
That was amazing.
Thank you Leon. O.o
I'd like to know more about Ledge Teching if you don't mind.
My friend is a ***ot Marf and I know I can tech most of his edge-guards but I'm confused about it. D:

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
That's not the real endoftheinter.net

Also, I usually try to do a 3/4 circle really fast for maximize the chances of SDIing out of Fox uair.

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
basically

you just want to move your joystick during the 2-3 frames of the first hit of the upair
on paper, the most effective says would be keeping the joystick in motion
this is where quater-circle DI came from even though no ones ever heard of it
so quater circle, half circle, 3/4 circle, cranking it back and forth*
dont get caught up in your method
focus on not getting up aired

all that said i do it in the LEAST effective manner, yet have decent success
i just tap it
1 frame
1 SDI
(1 ASDI)
good luck

but timing isnt that hard

*DO this on drills, it works wonders. full body DI is really too good

~
~
~
on ledge teching

in order to tech the ground, you need to shield 20 frames before you hit the ground
in order to tech the ledge, you need to shield 20 frames before you leave hitlag

say youre at 999 and ganon stomps you on the ledge. that will be more than 20 frames of hitlag, so its impossible
just kidding

you can 'cancel' your hitlag at any time by SDIing into the ledge. forcing the game to recognize collision with the wall will let you ledge tech out of hitlag (this can happen without SDI).

its really not too hard. with marth, on fd, your up b already puts you on the wall. so hit shield right before you get hit. tap in, then shield.

its really a fluid motion for me
upb
in, shield (stagger them the same way you would JC a grab)

i do it every time i upb, and get a lot of random freebie techs too.
but the most important part about ledge teching is just sweetspot so you dont have to

no matter how many time you tech the ledge, if you dont get back and hit them, it doesnt count

bbb

Smash Champion
a good way to differentiate hit stop from hit stun is to think of ryus shin shoryuken in 3s, which is almost all hit stop

if you know it, that is

pockyD

Smash Legend
you just want to move your joystick during the 2-3 frames of the first hit of the upair
on paper, the most effective says would be keeping the joystick in motion
this is where quater-circle DI came from even though no ones ever heard of it
so quater circle, half circle, 3/4 circle, cranking it back and forth*
dont get caught up in your method
focus on not getting up aired
if you do any of these 'special' methods too quickly, there's a chance you SDI out of it... then SDI right back into it

timing it and hitting it once is the best way imo

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
sooo got my exam back.. did a math problem in my head because i thought it was pretty obvious, and got the right answer... my prof marked it wrong because i didnt show any work. the result was i got an 89.99999% instead of a 94. fml

Adam M!

Smash Lord
leon, wtf does "tap in" mean. there is no in on the analog stick. left?

you say one ASDI for every frame of hit stun... so if you quarter circle it, it works because the game reregisters your placement of the analog stick with each new frame of hit stun? cuz i read the way you explain it and think i have to aim at a spot on the analog and pull back slightly to reaim at another spot, etc. lololol

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
pocky: if youre cranking left, you wont go right,

adam
tap towards the ledge. in towards the stage.

so you get 1 sdi per frame,
but its impossible to go left left left left
you could go left neutral left neutral, but neutral doesnt do anything
or you can go left leftup left leftdown.

lets say it takes you 5 frames to do a down downforward forward motion
in between those 3 corners there is another angle, so thats 5 angles in total

now you get upthrow upaired by a fox. since you dont trust your timing, you dont tap left, you do the quarter circle motion i just explained because it has a higher success rate

frame by frame
1 down. the upair has not connected yet
2 down downforward. the upair has not connected yet
3 downforward. the upair has not connected yet
4 downforward forward. the first frame of the upair connects, you sdi.
5 forward. the second frame of hitlag. you sdi. now youre out of the way

instead of
tap left. miss
get upaired

D

Deleted member

i've found that mashing one direction really ****ing hard works good too

Kira-

Smash Champion
i've found that mashing one direction really ****ing hard works good too
this is what i do, it works all the time for me. like really, i dont get upaired that much

sometimes there is a better direction to mash it in, but it's really hard to tell until after you've been hit (and therefore impossible to react to) and there's no set pattern in which either of them occur so just pick a direction and mash really hard. people say you mash the opposite direction in which the fox is running before he jumps but that's a myth; it doesn't always work that way. There's a really subtle spacing thing involved, but like I said you can't react to it so just mash any way you want

Also I really do not know what brendan is talking about lol (sorry brendan), you do it AS you get hit, not right before or it won't do anything. I used to make this mistake a lot before I got the timing down. If you just hold the control stick it won't SDI, just normal DI. I don't use the C-stick at all but I would imagine that it would increase my chances lol

ALSO I would reaally appreciate if someone could explain or link me to some thread describing teching the ground. aka marth Fsmashes you and instead of going flying you immediately tech roll on the ground. Especially information about WHICH moves are possible and WHEN it is possible to ground tech (aka in what situations). And of course HOW would be great too

howd you do in singles Kira?
got 4th, beat eggz in winners lost to m2k in winners semis, beat bladewise in losers and lost to eggz in losers semis. i dont feel bad about losing to eggz, he was playing really bad in our first set and really good in our last one, plus we did really long $5 MMs (best of 7 and best of 5) in between tourney sets and they were really good and close so i enjoyed the matches I played against him

the interactive brackets are up on AiB, you can check them out there

pockyD

Smash Legend
it's just di/sdi/asdi that makes it so that you hit the ground at some point (so generally some form of making your trajectory as low as possible)

everything you're asking "varies", but obviously moves that have more naturally horizontal knockback, moves with lots of hitlag, your character being grounded when hit, etc. all make it easier to do

this doesn't explain anything but is just really cool

and this

edit: so I was wrong about some stuff, in particular the 'more hitlag = easier' theory

info

more important info

Fabian

Smash Journeyman
TGL, you and i need to share a cup of tea one of these day's and explain to me how to DI
because i don't know how
at all

Adam M!

Smash Lord
fabian, it's not hard to learn how to DI, you're just being a lazy douche

with the threads pocky linked to, i gather this is how you double-stick DI:

if you're hit with any attack where the best DI is up and slightly in (the standard DI on most things), ASDI down and slightly away and DI straight down with the control stick?

no idea though. what good is explaining it if you don't tell me the right thing to do in conclusion

Top Bottom