• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee Community

Adam M!

Smash Lord
fabian, it's not hard to learn how to DI, you're just being a lazy douche

with the threads pocky linked to, i gather this is how you double-stick DI:

if you're hit with any attack where the best DI is up and slightly in (the standard DI on most things), ASDI down and slightly away and DI straight down with the control stick?

no idea though. what good is explaining it if you don't tell me the right thing to do in conclusion

pockyD

Smash Legend
trajectory DI a hit [...] to get the lowest angle of knockback (and with it minimizing the amount of vertical knockback), while also ASDIing straight down into the stage so the ASDI will cause you to hit the floor and be able to tech until much higher damages than ASDIing down alone.
so ASDI straight down

regular DI down+away on most hits (if you're trying to tech)

basically, since survival DI normally entails gaining maximum vertical distance by DI-ing perpendicular upwards (so you have more space to recover and to convert some of the horizontal momentum into vertical momentum), to tech, you want to have minimum vertical distance, so you'd DI perpendicular downwards, usually the complete opposite of survival DI

plus the ASDI down, though i'm not convinced that it's always necessary depending on what you get hit by

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
lol sorry dave
i was trying to explain the draw of 'quarter circle di'
even though i dont do it that way

how to double stick tech (doesnt actually need both sticks*)
SDI cannot create collision with the ground
ASDI can
ASDI happens the frame after hitlag ends
ASDI moves you in the direction the c-stick or control stick is pointed
c-stick out prioritizes the control stick. you only get 1 ASDI.

c-stick down, to create a collision with the ground (thats the green flash, the thing that means you can tech)
regular DI perpendicular to the direction you would get sent flying
(you usually get hit up and away, so angle down and away)
shield 20 frames before you get hit

jigglypuff DK kirby and ness get low trajectories compared to the rest of the cast, so they can do it at higher precents

*since you can ASDI with either the c-stick or the control stick,
at low percents you can sometimes double stick tech on accident just by holding down or down and away, ASDIing with control stick, and shielding

the percentage factor is kind of explained like this

at low percents you dont fly as far or as quickly. ASDI occurs on the first frame after hitlag; the first frame you get sent flying.

its kind of hard for me to explain, but if youre at 999 and you get hit. you die REALLY fast. if you slow it down, you are moving very far each frame.

now if youre at 30 and you get hit by the same move, you are moving very slowly compared to 999.
the distance you get downwards with your 1 ASDI needs to be equal to or greater than the distance you character moves up and away on that 1 frame. this is why down and away DI helps, because you are trying to diminish the upwards movement of your character

i dont know if SDIing towards to the ground to enable an ASDI collision is possible

so c-stick down
DI down and away
shield right before you get hit

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Minor correction on a point of Brendan's info: you can't SDI left left-up left left-down. Each direction has to be at least 90* away from the last. When Mario techs the charge shot in Perfect Control, he's actually going left-up, left-down, left-up, left-down, etc.

Also if it wasn't already apparent, you can't DS tech most moves that send you up beyond a low-med %. The Jiggly teching the Fox usmash in the vid pocky linked is almost at the % limit that you can do it at.

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
Minor correction on a point of Brendan's info: you can't SDI left left-up left left-down. Each direction has to be at least 90* away from the last. When Mario techs the charge shot in Perfect Control, he's actually going left-up, left-down, left-up, left-down, etc.

Also if it wasn't already apparent, you can't DS tech most moves that send you up beyond a low-med %. The Jiggly teching the Fox usmash in the vid pocky linked is almost at the % limit that you can do it at.
thanks sheridan

Kira-

Smash Champion
not really. in either direction the downwards component is the same, i dont see why it would diminish the effects

Kira-

Smash Champion
well no **** you guys, it was pretty entertaining though

suck a ****, haters

edit - voodoo you are a cool guy i remember you

Top Bottom