• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Socal Brawl Power Rankings - (February 3, 2010 - May 1, 2010) UPDATED

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I wanted to get these up and have a list, but I need a final go ahead from the other panelists because I didn't get the 100% okay last time we talked about it, it was like 95%. Trying to get this out before UCLA starts.

mio

Smash Ace
There hasn't really been a major tournament since the last update, so I think it would be kind of hard to make an accurate judgment on who goes where if you can only refer to the results of a smaller tournaments. Why not make the update after UCLA?

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
Just update it after UCLA. Make it that UCLA is the last chance for smashers to prove their worth. And besides, UCLA is this weekend. I'm sure everyone, save for Fiction lol, can wait a few more days for a more accurate list.

Kira-

Smash Champion
Rankings can always get pushed back. It would suck for the panelists to have to re-do everything because of UCLA.

I feel bad for Edrees, he has to deal with complaints as a panelist and a mod. And nobody is ever pleased.

Edit - unless leon does the pleasing

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I'm busy next week, so I don't have time to redo this after Ucla. Thanks Kira =) Ahem, maybe more people could step it up to help be panelists...hehe. At this point we have two panelists...and that's not real substantial.

There's been a lot of major tournies! Race's tournament had 13 out of 15 power ranked members. And there were two race tournies since the update. 13/15 ranked..That's more than UCLA will have, probably, so you could even say Race's was more major than UCLA. All the Palmdale tournaments have serious competition, and there's been two quizno tournaments as well. If I don't get this up tonight, it probably won't be updated for two weeks.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I constantly expressed interest in becoming a panelist over the summer, but the lack of response made me believe more panelists weren't needed. So I just stopped =\

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
update will happen tonight no worries. It's important to update BEFORE the triweekly and UCLA because rankings affect proper seeding. Using seeding that's 2 months outdated alone is need for the update. UCSD and UCLA will contribute to the next update.

mio

Smash Ace
There's been a lot of major tournies! Race's tournament had 13 out of 15 power ranked members. And there were two race tournies since the update. 13/15 ranked..That's more than UCLA will have, probably, so you could even say Race's was more major than UCLA. All the Palmdale tournaments have serious competition, and there's been two quizno tournaments as well. If I don't get this up tonight, it probably won't be updated for two weeks.
But all of those tournaments have had less than 80 entrants, and the last update had two tournaments that had well over 100 entrants with tons of foreign competition (BIO and Axis). UCLA just seems too significant to not include in this update, especially since you'll have plenty of major tournaments for the next one (West Coast Smash League, UCSD Winter Game Fest, SCSA).

It's important to update BEFORE the triweekly and UCLA because rankings affect proper seeding. Using seeding that's 2 months outdated alone is need for the update. UCSD and UCLA will contribute to the next update.
You don't need to make an official update to use your current list for UCLA's seeding. You can give them your current rankings to seed the bracket and then use the results of the tournament to revise those rankings. Because if you release them tonight and then there are major upsets at UCLA (Futile gets 7th, Teba beats DSF, etc.), then you will just be releasing an update that needs to be updated.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
mio said:
You don't need to make an official update to use your list for UCLA's seeding---you can give them the list to seed the bracket and then update it according the the results.
wouldn't that list be the official update? if we have a complete list, at that point we might as well make it an update.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
But all of those tournaments have been less than 80 entrants, and the last update had two tournaments that were well over 100 entrants and had tons of foreign competition (BIO and Axis). All of the past tournaments have just been local competition fighting each other, whereas UCLA will most likely have all of the regions of socal going into one bracket. UCLA just seems too significant to not include in this update, especially since you'll have plenty of major tournaments for the next one (West Coast Smash League, UCSD Winter Game Fest, SCSA)..
it really doesn't matter what tournaments it includes. it's been a long enough time, you can only play in the tournaments that have been hosted.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Lol. I think this a conspiracy on the fact that (sick will love this) I my dad said no more tourneys till december lol (although I may host one over thanksgiving XD)

Charoo

Smash Champion
quality over quantity. A 100+ person tournament with like 5 PR people going is no where as important as say, 64 people with all of the pr people and people who have the potential to be on the pr.

Also, Edrees is doing a great job with the rankings. Azn Lep and Bardull hardly ever attend any tournament anymore so new people need to be added in. Nezumi doesn't attend as much as Edrees, but she stil attends them enough. She also have DSF to report what happen since DSF "goes to every tournament"

Each part of the socal should be represented as long as they have a pretty good smash scene. long beach and palmdale is now the two major smash scene in socal. There's at least 2 tournament from those area every month. So some1 should be added from those areas, but the people being added have to not be unbiased and understand how to rank people too. That would replace azn lep and bardull. I think another person should be added to make it an odd number though. So when a vote happens, it won't be a tie.

Lastly, I think san diego and TJ have their own power ranking also. So maybe some1 from there can link it to us or something. TKD can't be on the PR because he's from Mexico, and not from Socal. Just throwing that out there since people will probably ask why he's not on it (assuming he's not on it).

It have been over 2 months I think since the last update. So this should be interesting.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
lol I don't think smashers from Mexico should be excluded. They compete almost exclusively in the US, especially northern mexico (TJ). They're just as much SoCal as any of us in my opinion

Charoo

Smash Champion
lol I don't think smashers from Mexico should be excluded. They compete almost exclusively in the US, especially northern mexico (TJ). They're just as much SoCal as any of us in my opinion
they doesn't qualify as a southern california smashers though. That's like saying TJ should be able to vote in socal for the props and election cause they come over to socal all the time.

They also really exclusively compete with SD which in turn doesn't usually compete with the upper socal part. So it's like they do compete with socal, but only the san diego part.

I remember in melee, you have to live in southern california to be on the ranknigs haha.

but I guess they could be on it though. It's like Barack Obama said, it's time for a change.

Marceux

Smash Journeyman
The San Diego / Tijuana Brawl Power Rankings are at this site: sdsmash.wordpress.com

I'd have to agree with Azn_Lep. TJ almost exclusively plays in SoCal, and within the last month they, and San Diego proper, have attended as many major tournaments outside of San Diego as possible. Not to mention, some of us will be going to the Triweekly AND UCLA.

I think to compare Smash to politics is inappropriate since its just Smash, but w/e. If TKD or MogX or whoever makes the powerlist, good for them, if they don't, I'm sure they could care less since they're still getting exposure and kicking butt.

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
I talked to Edrees today. I think you guys should really consider making it top 10 rather than top 15 and having honorable mentions on the side. Let's be real, some of the people on the PR aren't even worthy of being on the PR. They're just there to fill the spots.

Top 10 will be much more accurate.

Drecker

Smash Ace
How will top 10 be more accurate? It could be top 10, top 100, top 1000, etc, but the top 10 will remain the same.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
sorry for no update, Edrees not being online johns.

i dont see any reason to go back to top 10, having 15 players doesnt affect those 10, and an honorable mention section is basically the same as having 11-15 without any specific order and less motivation. I could be wrong, but I think having 15 motivates people a little more. with those extra 5 spots unranked people feel like if they step it up they can reach the rankings. No one is going to want to reach the "honorable mentioned" list. It also motivated 11-15 to keep their game at a high level. Again people care a lot more about being knocked off the actual rankings than being knocked off the "honorable mentionings"

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
I understand but that is not what I meant by having a list of top 10 instead of top 15. What I mean is, some of the ranked players (usually those ranked from 11 -15) don't even deserve to be ranked. There usually tends to be a big gap in skill level between the top 10 and the last 5. I guess having it top 15 will motivate players more but... well idk.

I think it would be better if it was just top 10.

Top Bottom