• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So Ken is competing in at Evo

ixdnL

Smash Journeyman
It definitely takes skill to make it to the top 8. No one's denying he has that.

I'm waiting for confirmation on what character(s) he used.

TokiDoki

Smash Journeyman
Idk, he said he was going to revolutionize marth's metagame which I doubt but idk

KillL0ck

Smash Ace
If he goes Marth I'll be more than happy that he's representing Marth again. I'm definitely on his side for this tournament run.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Hoang defeated Culver City's Nick Bardol to reach the final eight. However, Bardol recovered got a smashball to win the one match needed to get to the final eight as well.
Fixed. Truthiness is completed.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Due to EVO having smashballs, I wouldn't be surprised if Ken had a space-animal character or even Sonic as a backup to use throughout this.

Because alas, Metaknight + items != god tier.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
MetaKnight is not that incredible with items on, especially with them on medium.
Everyone has a projectile to use against the *******, and some tossed items (bat, star rod, both of which are allowed in Evo's item play) take MetaKnight out very, very easily. And his FS is very, very dodgable. I wouldn't be surprised to not see a MetaKnight get deep in the tourney.

But yeah, i wanna see the videos myself. It'll be refreshing to see some hi-level item play, don't you think?

jinofcoolnes

Smash Journeyman
But yeah, i wanna see the videos myself. It'll be refreshing to see some hi-level item play, don't you think?
No it wont...

But really why did Evo do this? i mean why be the odd ball.

I really cant wait until someone with a decent sonic Comes to evo.......

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I got to see Ken use Marth at Evo. He didn't revolutionize Marth, but he still played really well. He did mix it up with aerials and maybe some forward B moves. Items made things distracting in my opinion for the tourney. And I think KDJ (not sure if it was him) used Ike.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
The finals start at three, Nevada time. Maybe I should've brought a camera or something. I've only seen 3 matches by Ken yesterday, but he was using Marth.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
not that im doubting Ken, but prior knowledge from melee + smash balls can help when a few easy stocks.

Retroking2000

Smash Master
sorry for me for sounding noob but how did ken get world champion .

he has won tourneys in US , Japan , Australia (comrades 2 i think ) , he hasnt come to europe :)

LOL i know this is going to start up something .

but wouldnt that make him a extremely good pro , not a world champion

i know this is going to start something up

haha

IMO the big smash scenes are in europe , japan , US , so if he dominated all three he would be world champion ;)

also i dont think i have known when ken said he is world champion .

just King of Smash which is 100% agree that title is worthy , keep representing marth ken

, or ken just dont care about names

well everybody knows europe sucks anyways haha

oh crap i think i just started something ,

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
There was much discussion about that in a very old thread called "Helios comes to America", or something of the sort. It was a thread where Helios posted the numerous spots in the USA he was going to attend for smash.

Some how, a discussion of Ken vs Ek arised, then it turned into USA vs Europe. Basically, top players from USA trash talking the top players from Europe, and vice versa. Thing is, USA really doesn't have any respect for European smash players. This is mainly because of they have done poorly in proving their skills and rarely travel.

In short, people never really cared about Europe, and barely even Japan. So being one of the best in the USA is considered being one of the best in the world to many. Despite how arrogant this it sounds, it can actually be considered quite true.

I'm not anti-Europe or anything by the way.

Ulevo

Smash Master
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

The bottom line is, and something people tend to forget, Ken is intelligent. Whether or not he can win Brawls Evo tourney is questionable, and I'm sure the majority of us have our doubts. But people tend to believe that because Ken was Melee King, and he has literally dropped from the scene since Melee's peak, that he won't compete very well (let alone in an item frenzy). This is false thought process. This is the smart players game. There is a reason why players such as Azen and M2K are still at top.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
He definately plays very intelligent. The vids show that he's still a great player, but I'd love to see him compete at some real tournaments, like Critical Hit 4 or something.

Sorry, items on does not equal real tournament.

Ulevo

Smash Master
He definately plays very intelligent. The vids show that he's still a great player, but I'd love to see him compete at some real tournaments, like Critical Hit 4 or something.

Sorry, items on does not equal real tournament.
I agree. If he wins Evo, credit can't be stripped from him. A win is a win, and I doubt it's pure coincidence. However, seeing him compete in real hardcore matches versus top players in other regions would be something I would enjoy.

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

∫unk

Smash Master
stfu about falco

and ken is very good, but not revolutionary. still very very good. mindgames are best i've seen. needs to learn some of the defensive options like getting out of the falco cg with up b, but very impressive so far.

*adds to list of legitimate marth players*

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
He KO'd SK92 in 14 seconds w/ no items. Ken has almost perfect spacing and timing.
that was possibly the worst DI of an f-air i've ever seen from anyone, top players don't make mistakes like that

but yeah ken is/will be a good marth obviously

Top Bottom