• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I guess ICs are "S Tier" now :) / :( ?

Zucco

Smash Master
Whahahahahahahaha. You gonna steal money from a 14 year old scrub? Anyways, let's play at MLG Dallas. You going?

I play Trela often and I feel like I have some good experience.
lol how was I supposed to know how old you are? Age in the smash community doesnt really matter to me though.

nah im probably not going to Dallas =(. I'm trying though.
Zucco, MLG DC MM?
k. Remind me at the tourney though.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Hehe, just playing. I'd be nice to play some lucarios other than Trela and RT. Hope to see ya there!

ch33s3

Smash Lord
A) I was trolling about MJG, TL is really bad though, and ICs win the matchup, it's just stressful as hell.
B) ICs beat Lucario badly, you just absolutely cannot drop grabs (stop hitting him when he's at mid-% lol)
C) Hylian, you play the snake matchup so incredibly different from me, it's weird to watch.

lain

Smash Master
imo TL beats IC's 55:45. every toon link always does the same thing, jump and throw bombs downwards. up until i played this last weekend I've always won against TL's using IC's, but in this particular set I was being wayyyy too aggressive and taking unnecessary damage just to try and get damage from uairs. I'm gonna stop trying to force situations all the time and just camp people now.

I think that IC's are a less favorable matchup against Lucario, Peach, Snake, T.Link, and maybe Lucas. That's all I can think of atm, so I'm just gonna use MK in those matchups

Smoom77

Smash Master
I agree I feel like we should stop losing to TL. If you desync , you're doing it wrong.

My favorite thing=autothrowing bombs that bounce off my shield <3

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
C) Hylian, you play the snake matchup so incredibly different from me, it's weird to watch.
This. Just force him into camping you. If he approaches hard, then blizz wall to the face to stop him and try to force camping.

I think that IC's are a less favorable matchup against Lucario, Peach, Snake, T.Link, and maybe Lucas. That's all I can think of atm, so I'm just gonna use MK in those matchups
I think Lucario is even and MK should be on the list, and that should be about it.

Teh Future

Smash Master
just learn bthrow>fthrow on lucatio and you wont ever loose to him again -_-

w/ ics obv.

idk your mk is good but that doesnt mean you kno the matchup kind of dumb to throw away the exp. you already have with ics when the only reason you loose is dropping an average of 2897493284 cgs each set

swordgard

Smash Hero
Anyone else want to do some research with me on how to crack the tlink matchup? Its definitely far from being impossible, and I am pretty convinced we are far from having optimized everything in it.

edit: Hylian do you have any recent vids of yourself, especially vs MK? Same to you lain.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
imo TL beats IC's 55:45.
O.O

come one man, just learn those match ups and then you'll realize how much we win in them.

For Lucario do the Meep Strat and only chain grab once the Lucario is around 50%. NO hitting him after that

For Lucas, desync Ice Block or powershield to stop his PK fire approach. This will force him to come after you. Trust me it makes the match much easier. I went from getting 3 stocked by NL's Lucas to winning. He still won the set but only because of a fluke suicide on my part. I was winning solidly up until that point.

For Toon Link, U-air him right when he has to throw his bombs. If he doesn't throw he'll get hit by the u-air. If he does throw the bomb then you'll catch it AND hit him with the u-air. Then you can combo the u-air into a bomb since you just caught it. Also his arrows and boomerang have no priority, you can hit them with any attack and they will go away. So just stay on the ground, cancel all of his boomerangs and arrows, wait for him to take out a bomb and run in. 9 times out of 10 he will jump to try and throw the bomb down. U-air him for it.

Snakes tough, don't need to say anything about that

Peach is kind of tough too. Just remember that you out prioritize her aerials thus whenever she floats you can run in and space an aerial until she gets to scared to float anymore. Her turnips can be easily avoided if she tries to play you on the ground. She's still tough though.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
yeah ill help swordgard
i have a tlink i play like at least once a week, sometimes more

I've been taking a lot of mental notes on the matchup too, ill start writing stuff down and sharing it here if you want haha
i hate that little ******* XD

EDIT: also what GIMR said abotu him pulling bombs
999/1000 times TL will jump after pulling a bomb so just uair him and catch the bomb

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
O.O

come one man, just learn those match ups and then you'll realize how much we win in them.

For Lucario do the Meep Strat and only chain grab once the Lucario is around 50%. NO hitting him after that

For Lucas, desync Ice Block or powershield to stop his PK fire approach. This will force him to come after you. Trust me it makes the match much easier. I went from getting 3 stocked by NL's Lucas to winning. He still won the set but only because of a fluke suicide on my part. I was winning solidly up until that point.

For Toon Link, U-air him right when he has to throw his bombs. If he doesn't throw he'll get hit by the u-air. If he does throw the bomb then you'll catch it AND hit him with the u-air. Then you can combo the u-air into a bomb since you just caught it. Also his arrows and boomerang have no priority, you can hit them with any attack and they will go away. So just stay on the ground, cancel all of his boomerangs and arrows, wait for him to take out a bomb and run in. 9 times out of 10 he will jump to try and throw the bomb down. U-air him for it.

Snakes tough, don't need to say anything about that

Peach is kind of tough too. Just remember that you out prioritize her aerials thus whenever she floats you can run in and space an aerial until she gets to scared to float anymore. Her turnips can be easily avoided if she tries to play you on the ground. She's still tough though.
Catching the bombs with uair doesn't really work. He can just airdodge and drop the bomb at the same time when you uair or just throw it right when you uair and then you usually go above him and he can kill nana.

Swordgard I have videos that I just posted here but none were vs mk.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Here we go.

Hylian vs Atomsk:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X31RT-N2KJc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X31RT-N2KJc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Hylian vs MJG:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE1Ns_lFbQ0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eXO4g2682o

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
imo TL beats IC's 55:45. every toon link always does the same thing, jump and throw bombs downwards. up until i played this last weekend I've always won against TL's using IC's, but in this particular set I was being wayyyy too aggressive and taking unnecessary damage just to try and get damage from uairs. I'm gonna stop trying to force situations all the time and just camp people now.

By all means please do use more MK. ^.^

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Catching the bombs with uair doesn't really work. He can just airdodge and drop the bomb at the same time when you uair or just throw it right when you uair and then you usually go above him and he can kill nana.

Swordgard I have videos that I just posted here but none were vs mk.
No, you put him in a situation where he has to throw the bomb, or air dodge, or he'll get hit. If he air dodges you punish him. Or mix it up and trick him into dropping the bomb and punish him. You're always in the better position if he's above you.

Also, I'm pretty sure our u-air beats his d-air

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
No, you put him in a situation where he has to throw the bomb, or air dodge, or he'll get hit. If he air dodges you punish him. Or mix it up and trick him into dropping the bomb and punish him. You're always in the better position if he's above you.

Also, I'm pretty sure our u-air beats his d-air
You can't put him in that situation, he moves too fast in the air and jumps too high. Like lain I've beaten all the other TL's until MJG, he just did it a lot better. I have a ton of TL experience and I've done all the things you are saying before to other TL's but I just couldn't to MJG.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
alright, well at least insta-throw the bomb back at him. From the first match of you vs him all I saw was him jumping up and throwing bombs down. You gotta find a solution to that because he's gonna keep doing it until you punish him for it.

Smoom77

Smash Master
I have really good experience against Peach. From what I see from ILMATIC (namesearchpleasegurl) if you're playing on somewhere like FD where there aren't platforms, all they do is float, space, and dair if you get underneath them. You have to basically run in and fullhop a nair, fastfall, and run away. If they airdodge, then do NOT fastfall or dair or whatever. They can utilt, uair, what ever. They own when you're in the air. If they pull a turnip semi-close, run in with shield to pressure and/or grab. MOST of my grabs I get are when they pull turnips at the wrong time.

Smashville is very different. Same with the dair, but they can jump on the moving platform and spam turnips. Do not try to jump offstage and upair them. They can bair you by running closer to the stage and dropping down the platform.

As for bans, either Japes or Brinstar. Illmatic loves both, and I've been banning Brinstar but he times me out on Japes. I'm beginning to think that I should ban Japes because Brinsar isn't so spread out. Also if you're CPed to RC, ALWAYS stay below her in the second area. On the boat, force her to the rift side and keep keep SH uair'ing. On the third part, it's basically like a funky BF.

For CPs, do what you feel comfortable on. I'm not quite what I like yet. I like BF, FD, and YI (Especially because they can't do float tricks on the ground OR platform because it's uneven most of the time).

For general tricks, remember Peach can fair onto the ledge, gimp and keep Nana separated easily. If she tries to sideB (Peach bomber) to the ledge too high, dtilt which can gimp her well if she doesn't have a float.

This should go very close to timer. Don't worry. I'd you get a lead, just don't approach too riskily or else she will approach and you might get nervous due to pressure and mess up.

Illmatic, please comment!

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Good writeup Smoom I agree with alot of it.

I hate Battlefield, take Peach there.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I know right? Same here. Minus the fact that we both know how much work MJ has put in on the IC matchup. We have created an IC killing monster ><

r3d d09

Smash Master
Just letting everyone know, I'm probably going to quit smash. haven't played for awhile, my scene is falling apart and i'm having family troubles. I'll still read and post from time to time. but who knows when I'll play next. I'm going to have to sell my wii most likely :/

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Just letting everyone know, I'm probably going to quit smash. haven't played for awhile, my scene is falling apart and i'm having family troubles. I'll still read and post from time to time. but who knows when I'll play next. I'm going to have to sell my wii most likely :/
Dude, promise me you'll at least attend my first tourney/smashfest when I move down to Utah (I'll be in Provo probably lol).

edit: not my FIRST first tourney or smashfest, just my first one in UT lol :p

2nd edit: I agree with Smoom's writeup, sounds a lot like how it feels when I play Peach w/ ICs, not that I'm good or anything lol.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I think I am going to start everyman sleep schedule tonight, this way I can fit more things in my schedule including training more on wifi. Anyone tried uberman/everyman before and has any tips?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I couldn't do that even if I wanted to. It takes me like an hour to fall asleep lol.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
I've never tried it but I just read some stuff about it. What schedule are you planning on taking up? I'm alway tired when I wake up, no matter what, so maybe this would be a good experiment for me to try out cause I'm gonna feel like crap wither way.

Teh Future

Smash Master
uhh never heard of that before but sounds like the worst possible idea anyone could ever try lmao

ur bodys gonna explode bc it wont be able to get into deeper stages of sleep imo

Smoom77

Smash Master
The concept is that you deprive yourself of deep sleep by taking short naps all day. Eventually your body will adjust and go IMMEDIATELY into deep sleep. You will feel the same with four hours of PURE deep sleep as 8 hours of 'normal sleep'.

I've wanted to try it, but my schedule would never work.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
I've read up on it and apparently if you haven't fully grown yet *cough* Smoom *cough* you don't want to do it because the other4 phases of sleep have to do with growing, Which are super important for a teen

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
The clavicle apparently doesn't stop until your about 25.(makes your head proportional to your body)

Also your skull doesn't finish fusing(the back of it) until your about 25 either. Maybe I should wait until I'm a bit older to try this out LOL

Top Bottom