• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I guess ICs are "S Tier" now :) / :( ?

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I find D3 to be one of those characters that in most situations it's better to stay synched. D3 is a poking character in this matchup. He has alot of low risk, high reward moves. But if you trade off pokes with him, generally you will win.

Choice

Smash Champion
inhale near the edge is low risk. if you ice block or blizzard he can sdi up and then just jump away. everything i'm talking about is from having played my ic's vs micheal hey's d3. i have never won a match =/

micheal even kills himself if i mess up the cg since he says a pro-ic wouldnt. i guess its good practice for him that way.

for reals i think its d3 favor. micheal said when he went to japan playing ic's vs d3 was worse than any other character.

Smoom77

Smash Master
No offense or anything, but who are you?

I dunno if you're someone I don't know or if someone changed their name.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
choice is really good
he plays falco and stuff

but really you can roll behind the inhale and grab, good luck SDIing that
or even just dsmash as hes trying to suck you in..

there is no reason that popo/nana should ever enter D3s mouth

also michael hey is probably top 4-5 D3s in the country and i didnt even know you had an IC until now. so im not surprised that michael was beating you lol

its also kind of hard for ICs until you learn it then it becomes SUPER easy, i promise

lain

Smash Master
de-syncing blizzard isn't that great. Olimar vs Icies is 50/50

Vinnie I've beaten PS in MM and friendlies(We don't play too many money matches). For some reason he sand bags during both.

He beats me in tourney every time. He's beaten Meep, he's beaten Lain.

De-synced Blizzard isn't that great. He can hit you with purple pikmen, he can also down-B through it and punish.
I... have not lost to Vinnie.

Just sayin'

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
No offense or anything, but who are you?

I dunno if you're someone I don't know or if someone changed their name.
Choice is Cali (dunno if North or South) Falco/Wolf Main. He's legit.
He's talking about PS, whoever that is. Not Vinnie.
PS = Pyronic~Star = Logic = MD/VA Oli. Also legit.

I guess other regions really don't know each other too well.

RATED

Smash Lord
I am liking this board... is not like Snake boards that people just whine about how much they lose with snake and he shouldnt be 2nd on the tier list because most people are doing it wrong... or trying to copycat ally's playstyle( he's awesome though)

you guys are cool, discuting the character and stuff.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Cause we're a small board thats actually trying to put in work instead of complain the whole time.

And 1/3rd of us don't take no **** from scrubs.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Lol @ DDD being even with IC's. You don't even need to grab him to win. IC's destroy him on stage and off stage(not that any other ic player goes off stage lol). Ftilt is the easiest thing ever to bait and grab(at low %'s you just blizzard wall with nana only then pull her forward and shield the ftilt, they will hit nana but you can grab them and dthrow cg till like 80% into an infinite lmao). Squall into uair racks tons of damage. DDD is probably the easiest character to spike. He can't avoid being grabbed on the ground he is too big. Dair is like the only good thing he has vs IC's.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Lol @ DDD being even with IC's. You don't even need to grab him to win. IC's destroy him on stage and off stage(not that any other ic player goes off stage lol). Ftilt is the easiest thing ever to bait and grab(at low %'s you just blizzard wall with nana only then pull her forward and shield the ftilt, they will hit nana but you can grab them and dthrow cg till like 80% into an infinite lmao). Squall into uair racks tons of damage. DDD is probably the easiest character to spike. He can't avoid being grabbed on the ground he is too big. Dair is like the only good thing he has vs IC's.
Usually when I look at someones opinion i try to find what player they played to see if its just different playstyles, what dedede did you play?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Usually when I look at someones opinion i try to find what player they played to see if its just different playstyles, what dedede did you play?
I've played a good amount of DDD's, most of them actually. I think I've played the top players for almost every character actually at some point considering I've been to so many tournaments lol. I've never had a problem against any of them.

M2K tried to beat my IC's with DDD and I kept 2 stocking him over and over and over while trevor was sitting behind him telling him it was impossible lol.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
He came from the south, which had pretty much no D3's.

Unless he's been flooded by MW D3's I doubt he's got much to say.
Uh, I've been to the majority of national tournaments and literally played every top D3 player. At least the only two that matter imo, as well as a variety of other ones.

B0NK

Smash Lord
D3 is 60-40 IC's (and I can see why people would say it was even)

It just isn't that bad for D3 imo

D3's I've played are coney and my brother who knows me extremely well, and meep vs vex confirmed my suspicions about the match-up. (Meep played way too aggressive in general, but weeks later changed that and had no problem against coney etc., but it showed that this MU is closer than expected.)

I believe D3 has to play really patient as well, I have had my brother time me out (barely) with just patient play. Also the D3 has less room for error than the IC's player so that's why I believe it's 60-40 and not even. My brother did fairly well against GIMR, and gimr went G&W game 2 against him in tourney. (Personally I find the match-up stressful when the D3 knows what he is doing)

D3's forwards throw hit box is stupid as well and helps him tremendously. Basically DEHF pointed out his best tool in the match-up which is his pivot grab. He has other tools, figure it out by playing good D3.

(I also think trevor just prefers the easier MU of MK vs IC's or IC's vs IC's or ROB vs IC's...dude uses so many characters lol)

D3 vs IC's is an annoying match-up that has to be played patient from both sides otherwise you get *****.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
D3 V.s ICies is 55-45 in our favor

Just like with any other character in the game the Ice climbers match up isn't that bad once you actually learn it. It's just tough. People need to remember that this game is more player Vs. player then it is character vs. character. Once you get past that mind set you'll get way better as a player. I'm not saying knowing match ups isn't important. I'm saying that in most cases the smarter player wins unless the match up is ridiculous or someone just doesn't know the match up.

Here's a quote from NEO(roughly)

"When you are first playing a new opponent you fight their character and begin to read them and learn their habits. Then as soon as possible you play the player"

B0NK

Smash Lord
agreed, except I just don't use 55-45 (Seriously, it's either a slight advantage or even [60-40 or 50-50])

I just don't agree with how people use MU ratios on this website. (Also makes it more difficult for ANY character board to make a decent match-up thread.)

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
agreed, except I just don't use 55-45 (Seriously, it's either a slight advantage or even [60-40 or 50-50])

I just don't agree with how people use MU ratios on this website. (Also makes it more difficult for ANY character board to make a decent match-up thread.)
MU ratios are dumb, I almost never use numbers. I just say if I think the character has an advantage or not. Everything else is just arbitrary.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
yeah you guys are correct about that. Match up rations are supposed to be how many games are won out of 10 by each character so I guess .5 can't even work. I'll say I think Icies have a slight advantage

B0NK

Smash Lord
you can have .5 ratios because if its out of 100... well yeah

anyways ICs **** D3 up hard
if we are doing ratios, I'd say its 65:35 ICs favor AT LEAST
So what's the difference between 55-45, 60-40, 65-35?

Nothing, they are all saying "these are slight disadvantages." I see no reason to specify what type of slight disadvantage.

I believe the categories should be without these "65," "25," etc, it should just say whether this character has a slight disadvantage, solid disadvantage, large disadvantage, and impossible. (Also nothing ever is impossible in most people's eyes.)

Because 55-45 says to me "we don't want to completely admit that we are at a disadvantage or an advantage and are, in general, unsure."

And 65-35 says "we know it's a disadvantage or advantage, but because there is a victory screen we don't want to clear cut say it's a solid disadvantage because we are unsure"

tl;dr hylian has the right idea. Match-up ratios on this site are arbitrary especially since no one can come to a consensus on a number and resort to these whack ratios of 55-45. (i.e. any MK match-up)

So let me ask this, who thinks D3 is even, slight advantage, or the Climbers have a solid advantage and is a counter? (not a hard counter, but a clear counter)

I already said, i believe it is a slight advantage in IC's favor, and can see why people say it's even.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I think the best idea to measure a match-up ratio without becoming too arbitrary is to use a X out of ten ratio, kind of like GIMR proposed. If top ICs beat top D3 [both knowing the match-up] 7 times out of 10 matches, then it's 7/3 for ICs.

:059:

B0NK

Smash Lord
so why not just consider 70:30 that? lol still don't get it xD

Smoom77

Smash Master
So I didn't do too well today. I lost to a tink that I three stocked in tourney before. Then I lost to Hyro which was legit.

Edit: But I beat two other people after getting in losers. I got 17th.

Top Bottom