• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So guys, whatcha practicin', how do you practice, etc.?

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
Self-explanatory.

I'm pretty interested in knowing what ya'll are practicing in between tournaments or what ya'll are feeling that you need to work on.

For me, SoCal has been lacking tourneys lately so I've had time to kind of rebuild my style so I've been working on implement the Bonewalk and the Mannypull into my game. Trying to be more consistent uair stringing, etc.

I've also been using my float a lot more and working on things like uair string oos and double hit nair/bair oos. Also in general I just mess around and try to tighten up the spacing on my set-ups and approaches, create new set-ups. I just try to not weed out all of the punishable aspects of my game and then smash once a week w/ Anuar (Snake/Olimar/MK) and FlamewaveK (Lucario), Dread (Snake, we're training him haha) or random nights at Slayn Legion's (Ike/Marth, makes ~KB his wifi *****, jk jk xD) house for ****s and giggles.

But yeah I try to spend at least an hour or so in the early morning in my boredom to just practice the tech skill and the ATs n stuff.

Hmm...there's prob a little more but I'll post it when I think of it.

What about you guys?

Metatitan

Smash Master
Wifi and training mode, I live too far away from everyone. Waiting until September when I go to Davis until I can smash offline consistently again.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Still trying to Uair string Fox consistently, I can actually do it like 2/5 now from 10%. >.<

Finally got Bonewalking down and am applying it somewhat on wifi, though I do mess up like once a match, not very often at all.

Free Pulling is just... ugh. I can do it really well in practice but I fail in a real match. I always dash instead of turn around because I try to do it too fast.

Bair Lock I'm still working on doing on wifi, got it offline.

Also trying some cool, kind of useless-ish Turnip things online like that 4hit Turnip thing and SHDT. They're next to impossible online, SHDT anyway.

Thats pretty much it for Peach, I'm also training with ZSS, trying to get that Diddy infinite a bit more consistently. :p

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I'm surprised to hear some of the things you guys are practicing on! Sounds REALLY tough (Uair string oos, double hit nair/bair oos, bair lock) to pull off in a real match, but that's what practice is for haha.

I've been working on tightening up my ground punishment game with the instant dash attack and finding when it's appropriate to use the dtilt slide/jab. Also working on BASIC oos punishment and my reaction time with nair/bair OOS... I just usually turn on a level 9 cpu and let them attack me and I work on reacting to that.

I also have been trying to work on baiting airdodges with uair and then cancelling it to upsmash. It's hard fo rme to read the airdodges sometimes though, so i think I might start trying a safer punishment like utilt, dsmash or dashattack.

I really need to work on my jabs too, not doing stupid stuff (jumping into shields with aerials) and overall tighter spacing with my aerials.

I also gotta work on chasing DI, like recognizing which way they are DIing, because Peach has an answer/combo to anyway they SDI, I just have to recognize and react quick enough to capitalize

SoCal has been lackng on tourneys I agree Raz. how far is flamewaveK? He's a really cool guy an dI'd love to practice with him sometime.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
finally MT xD

yay kyon~

And **** deathfox, that's all pretty impressive actually. Have you actually been able to apply the bair lock in game out of turnip stools or pratfalls? And where do ya live? Do ya get to go to tournaments n stuff? ;o

And lance, that all sounds pretty good too. About the baiting airdodges with uair thing I think the best way to do it is to float uair so that you can immediately land on the ground and then usmash. You don't necessarily need to usmash though and grab/dairing the landing are a couple things you could add to that list of "safer punishment" too.

Hmm...and flamewave lives in my area. So basically the kid is like 2 hrs away from you lol. Just contact him on aib or aim. his aim is the same as his tag.

but yeah lance if there's actually a tourney around ya gotta try to make it out, we gotta play haha

ooooooh and i've been makin' it a point to use your float stop idea. it's really ****.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
I've actually managed to set it up and get a bair or two online, but I've only actually done the lock one time and it was after I U tilted (I think) their shield on BF, didn't get very far though. Only like 3 hits. :[ It's the only time I've done it without messing up online, though. I can do it on CPU's sometimes. I'm really starting to hate wifi, I can Uair string just fine, but I always screw up IC CG's (other than B throw/hobbling) and Bair lock (I rarely get an opportunity to do it in a real match which just makes it worse :/).

I live in Ohio, but I'm turning 16 this year. Maybe I'll go to some tournaments when I get a car or something.

It's actually EASIER to Bonewalk on wifi for some reason. Sometimes when I do it left, I don't get the full slide offline. But I do left and right perfectly online. lol

That float thing is amazing against MK. I think I've gotten 2x better against him since I've mastered Bonewalking and that dash cancel. He's never expecting a quick jab.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Wi Fi, fighting people offline and time in Training Mode. Occasionally fighting CPU's as well (which I hate lol)

It sort of depends on what you want to practice. Like, if I wanted to test something really specific like two moves against each other, momentum cancelling or techs such as Bone Walking/Free pulling, I'd go into Training Mode

Xyless

Smash Master
I actually have been kind of anti-training lately, as I've been too busy with Brawl Minus to really practice the characters I've been wanting to (including a new secondary). It actually really hurt my tournament last weekend, as I was completely rusty with the Dedede matchup and his CG.

You know, Dedede actually being an annoying bread-n-butter character with his whole two moves (grab and bair). I would rather play him in Minus, where his options aren't painfully limited and yet still work.

C.S. Dinah

Smash Champion
I've been trying to perfect my Ftilt game/ Auto float fast fall to Ftilt or some other move. Also the AGF to reverse jab. Still need to learn when to use it though.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I feel as though I have alot of stuff down.
Just reading habits / playstyles and predicting movement.

Brawlin

Smash Journeyman
Backwards glide tossing. For some reason, I can easily do it in training mode(where I practice) but I still have some trouble when I am in a match.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Backwards glide tossing. For some reason, I can easily do it in training mode(where I practice) but I still have some trouble when I am in a match.
The Pivot Roll Glide Toss? It was actually really really easy to get down with Peach after learning it with ZSS. You should try practicing ZSS's Pivot Rolls to get a feel for the timing, then just add the C stick in. O: The timing is almost exactly the same for both, but it's easy to tell if you mess up a Pivot roll with ZSS than with Peach. :D

Brawlin

Smash Journeyman
The Pivot Roll Glide Toss? It was actually really really easy to get down with Peach after learning it with ZSS. You should try practicing ZSS's Pivot Rolls to get a feel for the timing, then just add the C stick in. O: The timing is almost exactly the same for both, but it's easy to tell if you mess up a Pivot roll with ZSS than with Peach. :D
Ok thanks:) I'll try it!

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
When I'm by myself...

I just practice some of Peach's advance techniques... and I usually practice on a level 3 Snake.

I have definitely put more effort into getting the up air string down and I've had some very positive results with it in tourney and in friendlies lol.

I also always try to bonewalk during training mode over and over again until it's natural for me.

I've been experimenting with freepulling and hope to have it implemented into my game permanently 1-2 months from now.

During friendlies, I always try to do all of these thing while I'm playing.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
ah that would be a nice mindgame to pull out once in a while. I'm pretty sure i can't rly do that consistently either. can you do it if you've already been in the float for over a second?

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
i rly wanna try to figure out how to do peach's extended grab out of an autocancel'd fair. that's a rly important AT but there rly aren't clear details on how to do it. there's just one prax vid where he does it and then sky's old thread in these boards.

help anyone?

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
I'm working on tons of stuff. I have all my Peach stuff down. I'm just working on my bad matchups. Especially Metaknight.

That's basically it. I look for Punish moments too where I can squeeze in an extra 40% dmg.

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
As of last night I been working on my floating, usmash, shutter step, and dthrow\zdrop turnip combos. They seem to work very well and lets me land kill moves. If possible up throwing a turnip and then zdropping another turnip is just wonderful. People abuse Mr. Saturn when you see him. Aka do the dthrow glide dribble toss thing it sets up into a lot without you really trying. Omg! Peach bomb I find stupid good useful......against d3..... while his friends are walking around him.. :)

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
I usually have a hack that allows me to play versus by myself. and in that i just practice mostly my turnip game and auto canceling **** and the sort. but sometimes ill put on a lvl 1 or something to practice the uair string. But usually my solo training sessions turn into me just watching peach run from one end of the stage to the other XD

C.S. Dinah

Smash Champion
I practice with lv 9 Peach. Forgot to add this earlier.

I also try out SH Z drop turnip and recatching it upon landing. Maybe it works for baiting an approach, blocking projectiles and such.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
i rly wanna try to figure out how to do peach's extended grab out of an autocancel'd fair. that's a rly important AT but there rly aren't clear details on how to do it. there's just one prax vid where he does it and then sky's old thread in these boards.

help anyone?
Could you get the video? I really had no idea what your talking about by extended grab.... Pivot grab? Boost grab? Pivot Wave Grab? Buffered Dash Grab? lol >.<

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I practice with lv 9 Peach. Forgot to add this earlier.

I also try out SH Z drop turnip and recatching it upon landing. Maybe it works for baiting an approach, blocking projectiles and such.
The lvl 9 Peach is really nasty in this game. She fakes me out a lot by cancelling jumps with floats... does this happen to you?

I do something similar to Spyker and Raz.

I simply practice against the CPU lv 9 random. By using the right mindset like you would against a normal opponent, you can practice a whole range of things at once. The CPU punishes mistakes because they read inputs which forces you to play as safely as possible. Even though somethings do get through, a majority of the time if you get too aggresive, they punish you pretty badly. So, with a defensive mindset I do not find the CPU to be that bad. You merely miss out on the more human based stratgies such as planking, air camping, and the such.

Also with the CPU being on random, you get to practice match-up oriented things too. DI is one of those such things.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
if that was really it cross then i guess it wouldn't hurt to just inch forward a tiny bit after fair b4 goin' for the grab. i do that sometimes but i cud've sworn that there rly is a way to extend grab range. it's not just peach, but other characters and character boards have also had times where they believe aerials extend grab range. idk if anyone rly figured out how it works though.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Yea the MK dashed into that grab, you can see his wings fly up indicating his Dash start up

I'm very skeptical about this 'extended grab' mlarcky - I don't think it exists, at least I haven't seen anything to suggest it does. If anything , the person who got grabbed did something to extend their hurtbox, allowing the grab to connect and it happens so fast it looks like the grab has simply extended

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I do something similar to Spyker and Raz.

I simply practice against the CPU lv 9 random. By using the right mindset like you would against a normal opponent, you can practice a whole range of things at once. The CPU punishes mistakes because they read inputs which forces you to play as safely as possible. Even though somethings do get through, a majority of the time if you get too aggresive, they punish you pretty badly. So, with a defensive mindset I do not find the CPU to be that bad. You merely miss out on the more human based stratgies such as planking, air camping, and the such.

Also with the CPU being on random, you get to practice match-up oriented things too. DI is one of those such things.

I do like to put it on random, but there are also times when I like to practice against specific computers -

Mario: Since his range is so limited, he is ALWAYS in your face and he WLL punish just about any mistake you make. It really helps you work on your "get out of my zone" game, and how to deal with opponents that like cross ups a lot. It also helps me work on my instant dash attack OOS punishment, since that's the only thing that can retaliate his fsmash.

Heavies: I like fighting them just to work on my offensive style and to see what I can abuse combo wise. Great practice for the uair string and 50%+ ccombos. Against dedede it helps me see how broken his grab range is and how to stay away from it.

Kirby: Helps me figure out how to play against short characters. The CPU does NOT bair spam so I have to always remember that, but for the most part he's great on just learning how to string together damage without combos, how to weave in and out and pluck damage away. Also really good for throwing out a wall of defense attacks (dtilt -> jab -> ground float nair -> jab -> ground float uair etc)

Luigi: Helps me on the "hit and run" approach, because just about anything you do to him with Peach gets punished hard. SUPER defensive game here.

So yea that's me

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
At the moment it seems like my bonewalking and mannypull is comin' along well. i can do them in matches but messing up the mannypull sucks sometimes coz then it means I'm dsmashing for no reason lol. <_<

I'll get my tech skill down.

Also ima really put emphasis on learning the MK match-up. I'm pretty decent at it already and i do have replays that aren't on my wii or sd atm (i'm a noob that forget to put them on my sd) but i cud prob have those up soon.

But yeah, if I plan to travel oos then I rly need this mu down to perfection. down to some ******** level of mastery so I can bring the ****.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Honestly I think us Peach players should practice more on transitioning.

Not always being Aggressive/ Defensive. I see many videos of Peaches that always stick too one type of playing style. It's not like the style becomes more intense, it just stays exactly the same. Not too a readable point, but too where it's all either agression or defensive. Always try too start off defensive and make your opponent open themselves up by making them become the aggressor, then punishing mistakes.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Honestly I think us Peach players should practice more on transitioning.

Not always being Aggressive/ Defensive. I see many videos of Peaches that always stick too one type of playing style. It's not like the style becomes more intense, it just stays exactly the same. Not too a readable point, but too where it's all either agression or defensive. Always try too start off defensive and make your opponent open themselves up by making them become the aggressor, then punishing mistakes.

You're last statement is also an example of sticking to one style: "Always try starting defensive".

Just saying...

:053:

It makes sense. However, I believe that goes beyond peach and applies to all characters. There are a lot of people who do very well at certain spacing lengths. DDD or DK are examples of that. Their moves are large, but laggy and needs proper spacing to use accordingly. If not, they will get ***** by an aggresive juggling act. And some like Falco or peach prefer a more defensive playstyle majority of the time.

The other things is knowing when to attack, and went to retreat to that defencible position in order to not give up your advantage. That takes experience to recognize I noticed and is not really something I believe you can learn on our own except through merely playing a lot.

C.S. Dinah

Smash Champion
I put the CPU on the other day so I could practicing bone-walks, and I got Mario. OMG I did not how much **** he could be x.x

I dont really have a "style" really I just try to bait and follow what my opponent does.

Top Bottom