• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Down Throw
Forward Roll ->
-Chase to grab.
-Mortar Slide
-Chase bair/nair. Lawl.
-F Tilt.
Backwards Roll ->
-Chase to grab
-Forward Smash
-F-Tilt.
-Jab to regrab
-F-smash.
Stand and attack ->
-Power Shield + Grab.
-Spot dodge + Grab
-Power Shield + C4
-Power Shield + Tilts.
Does not stand ->
-C4 stick.
-Tilts.
-Wait.
Awesome. Thank you.

Does anyone know, also, how to stick C4 to the side of the stage? It's probably so basic lol but I just can't figure it out

xsephirot

Smash Apprentice
Is it possible to do a forward smash slide? I've been trying to mess around with it but since you are already running forward, you have to let the joystick go to neutral before you smash forward. And since i use the wiichuck there is no forward smash c stick button and i dont like the shake smash.

jmon3y

Smash Rookie
- Boosting Technique: Grab Boosting
How to Perform: Initiate a dash attack by pressing the c-stick down, then press Grab during the dash attack's opening frames.
Effect: The added momentum of the cancelled dash attack remains in effect, providing a small boost to the Dash Grab's range.

@ woody

That's pretty much the how-to for boost grabbing. It is very similar to DACUS (Mortar Slide), except you do not input the "up on the joystick (analog stick)" portion. The timing is faster than the mortar slide too.

HizoSturm

Smash Apprentice
wat else can snake cancel out of his dash attack. so there is his up smash and grab. can he cancel his dash attack by jumping or grenade dropping, etc?

mofo_

Smash Ace
hey i know how i did that instant nade pick up on the platforms
go on a platform, hold b, press down & then L really fast ( almost simultaneously) and you will pick it up instantly.....sometimes you will roll when you pick it up

@HizoSturm: idk, but i think you can cancel it into an item throw

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
How would you guys bate a D3 with boost grabbing? I was thinking over use motar slide at first to build damage and they wont try to side step and go for a grab when the motar hits their shield....after you know their shield is up then I would run and boost grab so I get longer range and his shield would be up since they are expecting the shield grab. =/

Any thoughts/opinions on what to do with it?

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
How would you guys bate a D3 with boost grabbing? I was thinking over use motar slide at first to build damage and they wont try to side step and go for a grab when the motar hits their shield....after you know their shield is up then I would run and boost grab so I get longer range and his shield would be up since they are expecting the shield grab. =/

That's a pretty good idea, but if you're looking to get grabs in grenade grabbing is pretty effective in a mixup, I didn't know about it before, but after afro's post I tried it out. And before I was scared ****less to approach a D3, but with the ability to outdo his dash grab, I'll approach occasionally, and grenade grab. It's not something to spam, but it does help us outgrab D3, hope it was helpful.

Btw, you did a really good job against CO18 for the first time with a high level D3 :)

-Ran

Smash Master

I'd avoid doing anything like Mortar Slide vs D3. Since I know you're talking about a high end D3, we can assume that they are going to be beasts at shield grabbing/power shielding. In other words, something as overused as the mortar slide probably won't be a good set up for what you're trying to do.

Your best bet is going to be running in with a grenade in your hand and gamble that they won't powershield the explosion, while you will [cause you're 1337]. If they normal shield it, you'll be able to boost grab them. If they perfect shield, you can retreat. If they spot dodge, you'll be able to boost grab them. If they begin to retreat, you can throw the grenade at them before it explodes. And if for whatever reason they manage grab you, the grenade will explode causing you to break the chain grab.

El Raspa

Smash Apprentice
Hello,

One of the problems of snake is his air mobility but on some videos I have seen some changes of momentum drastically when he is on the air, so the question is... How can I do it?

Very notably
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVWY4Q9k_lw&feature=PlayList&p=CD4892EA50AAD785&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=7
On the minute 5:04 - 5:06

Other examples
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIB0FS98Vqw&feature=PlayList&p=CD4892EA50AAD785&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=6
On the minute 2:10 - 2:12
and 2:18 - 2:20
and 2:51 - 2:53
and 4:39 - 4:41

Regards

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I'm not even going to look at the videos, but I'm sure it's just b-sticking or wavebouncing or whatever people call it now.

Immediately after you pull a grenade out, hit the joystick in the direction of snake's back. You'll know when you get it.

We really do need that FAQ section :laugh:

xsephirot

Smash Apprentice
Is boost grabbing essentially like MK's grab when he's dashing? I need to see a vid of it.

And is there any other DAC moves other than upsmash and grab?

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
Is boost grabbing essentially like MK's grab when he's dashing? I need to see a vid of it.

And is there any other DAC moves other than upsmash and grab?
we already said how to do it. It just looks like a dash grab but has extended range

and I think there's just those 2 and the boost item throw

hmm I was wondering are the Ice climbers a good sub for snake?
not sure, how do they fare against D3, Falco, Rob, Pika, and MK?

if the answer is, "Better than Snake" then they'll do fine, but way long ago most agreed that Falco or MK are his best seconds

not sure, how do they fare against D3, Falco, Rob, Pika, and MK?

if the answer is, "Better than Snake" then they'll do fine, but way long ago most agreed that Falco or MK are his best seconds
Falco and MK aren't that bad of a match-up for snake to be worried about. 50-50 for both. ICs do hit on DDD and Falco pretty hard, yet they get killed by MK, pika and Rob.

hmm I was wondering are the Ice climbers a good sub for snake?
I would say no in the long run. For what was metioned before they take a good amount of time to master and they really only cover one bad match-up for Snake and that is DDD and they have a lot of poor match-ups against a lot of other people as well. The other bad match-up is rob. Falco is really good at beating DDD and does fairly well against ROB. Pikachu with the new CG might cause a new bad match-up for snake, but I really haven't heard much about it yet. So for now MK/Falco are the best secondaries for snake. If pikachu becomes a problem probably someone that covers a lot of match-ups and deals with DDD, Pikachu and Rob would be a suitable secondary for snake.

IxxI

Smash Fence
I use IC's. =[
It doesn't matter if the character is too hard to master. If you like the character, then play them. Also, don't play IC's just for the grabs. There's so much more to that.

I use IC's. =[
It doesn't matter if the character is too hard to master. If you like the character, then play them. Also, don't play IC's just for the grabs. There's so much more to that.
But the CG is still a key component to some match-ups still. It's a great damage racker even if you dont' get the KO at the end. Every stock you can go from 0%-50% with just Dthrow > Fair > regrab.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
Falco and MK aren't that bad of a match-up for snake to be worried about. 50-50 for both. ICs do hit on DDD and Falco pretty hard, yet they get killed by MK, pika and Ro .
I wasn't saying they weren't in Snake's favor or even, but if your counterpick ***** your even matchups use it

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
You have to be ontop of the stage though, pretty much, so it's sorta hard.

but not very hard.

!HEY YA'LL I IS BACK!

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
add to the FAQ in the OP

1. How to DI Snake's nair - we've answered this like 50 times

2. How to beat x matchup - (Link to matchup thread)

3. Whats tech-chasing (Link to my thread on grabs)

4. How do I play as Snake? - Camp with 'nades, space with ftilt.

5 How to B-stick/Wavebounce

IxxI

Smash Fence
But the CG is still a key component to some match-ups still. It's a great damage racker even if you dont' get the KO at the end. Every stock you can go from 0%-50% with just Dthrow > Fair > regrab.
Well of course. I'm just saying, don't play them just for the grabs. If you play like that it will be difficult. Besides, de-syncs are way more fun then grabs.

6. PM someone to get the match-up summaries made.

Edit:

Well of course. I'm just saying, don't play them just for the grabs. If you play like that it will be difficult. Besides, de-syncs are way more fun then grabs.
I tried playing ICs before and found de-snyncs a bit difficult to keep up with. So my ICs will never get past the ice block approaches/camp with blizzard defence, punish mistakes and dthrow > fair > regarb (ice block/regrab) strategy play.

IxxI

Smash Fence
6. PM someone to get the match-up summaries made.

Edit:

I tried playing ICs before and found de-snyncs a bit difficult to keep up with. So my ICs will never get past the ice block approaches/camp with blizzard defence, punish mistakes and dthrow > fair > regarb (ice block/regrab) strategy play.
LOL. Boring IC's. =[ Alternate grabs are too good.

Meese

Smash Cadet
Im having troubledoing the full hop nair.
Im probably not having the full hop
any help?

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Im having troubledoing the full hop nair.
Im probably not having the full hop
any help?
If you use X or Y to jump, you need to hold them while pressing A. Analogue stick - hold up. You can't just tap the jump button, this full hop requires that you hold it. I usually have my thumb over Y and A and hold it...

Double jumping a nair and lag cancelling may be more useful, no?

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
What are the best neutral and CP stages with Snake? I'm thinking his best neutral is BF and his good CP stages are Brinstar, Lylat, and maybe a few others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom