• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princz15

Smash Apprentice
how bad is the match up with Sonic and SNake?
ANd who's favor is it in a Snake vs Falco match?

Both match up's are fairly even I think. Falco's think falco has the advantage vs snake. Snake's think they have that 55:45 advantage. Pretty much it's dead even.

Sonic vs snake is an advantage for snake. Mostly because snake kills sonic sooner, sonic has problems killing snake. But apart from that with all the fake outs and speed sonic has, the match-up is a bit difficult for snake in certain aspects. Snake does have a decent amount of lag on his attacks should he miss and which sonic can take advantage of that mistake and go into a bunch of combos with keeping snake airborn. The big advantage that snake has in this is priority. Pretty much all of sonics options can be beaten out by a well timed ftilt, jab or uptilt.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
So what does Snake have on Kirby that makes it such a bad matchup for Kirby? Because even though it's supposed to be in Snake's favor I seem to have a lot of trouble with Kirby, especially with his early % grab combos.

Also it's ridiculously easy to hammer Snake off the cypher, which is a really good gimp.

So what does Snake have on Kirby that makes it such a bad matchup for Kirby? Because even though it's supposed to be in Snake's favor I seem to have a lot of trouble with Kirby, especially with his early % grab combos.

Also it's ridiculously easy to hammer Snake off the cypher, which is a really good gimp.
Pretty much snake is heavier and has a better time killing kirby. Since kirby lacks a projectile that can go on par with snake, kirby will be advancing most of the time. Snake's range > kirby's range. The only real weakness in the match up is that kirby juggles snake really well, and can lead to gimps with some bairs and dair.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Yeah I've noticed Kirby is doing bad in the range department. It seems vs Kirby it is key to keep it on the stage. Getting offstage is bad. Maybe it would be a better idea just to C4 yourself than to risk using your cypher at all.

Snake can outcamp Kirby easily as well, and it seems it isn't easy for Kirby to get through his tilts.

I guess I found my own answer, unless there is anything I can add to this.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
So, looks like I'm back for now. I'm too addicted to this game for my own good. :laugh:

Anyways, sonic is probably the match up I have the most experience with. X is considered one of the best sonics, I'd say top three for sure, and I get to play with him a couple times a week. So I'll add what I can.

On paper, sonic gets ***** in almost every matchup, lol. But in reality, Sonic has so many ways of mixing it up, that it is never as bad as it appears on paper. So here it goes.

- DO NOT try to camp sonic. He is so fast, he only ***** you if you try it.

- Jab is essential in this match-up. It will hit through his side-b and most of his down-b (down-b gets more priority the faster they tap b, so it all depends on how fast they can hit it really).

- Sonic can cancel both of his spin dashes to throw in a lot of mind games, such as aerial spin dash to grab etc.

- You can tech his dthrow, and jab him before he has recovered from the lag of throwing. And always DI his uthrow behind him.

- Sonic has a certain area above and in front of him that he can't do anything to you out of his spin dash, so if you see him using spin dash, try to get in there.

- Sonic is very momentum based. Once he gets on a roll, it is crucial that you don't let him keep momentum. His spin dash combos are capable of giving over 40% in one go.

- His main kill moves are bair, uair, and fsmash. They are pretty easy to see coming though, so just learn to avoid them.

I'll add more later if I feel up to it.

1000th Post!!!!

Oh, here are some vids of me vs X from yesterday:
Match 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV_0pTpB0u4
Match 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydVnQF0i4w0
Match 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es5I4IvdQvs

napZzz

Smash Hero
Both match up's are fairly even I think. Falco's think falco has the advantage vs snake. Snake's think they have that 55:45 advantage. Pretty much it's dead even.

Sonic vs snake is an advantage for snake. Mostly because snake kills sonic sooner, sonic has problems killing snake. But apart from that with all the fake outs and speed sonic has, the match-up is a bit difficult for snake in certain aspects. Snake does have a decent amount of lag on his attacks should he miss and which sonic can take advantage of that mistake and go into a bunch of combos with keeping snake airborn. The big advantage that snake has in this is priority. Pretty much all of sonics options can be beaten out by a well timed ftilt, jab or uptilt.
there is no way in hell snake vs. falco is close to even

misterpimp5757

Smash Ace
sorry ive been asking alot of Q's cuz ive been goin to nonstop tournaments...

matchup of yoshi please? and what about pit? i forgot my main Q but ill post it when i remember.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i agree snake has a slight edge on falco. I kind of think falco is an overrated character that people just don't know how to fight.
Falco doesn't have any natural advantages over snake besides the dumb chaingrab...you'll only lose to a falco if A. you get grabbed a lot, or B. the falco is a smarter player than you

I dont have a lot of pit experience, but I do well againts pit, which makes me think snake has the advantage.
Pit is another character that Snake has to be aggressive against, camping doesn't work that well here, get all in his face so he can't spam arrows everywhere. spacing is also key in this matchup. I believe ftilt outranges every one of pits normal attacks and smashes, dtilt probably does too.

Pits say the SH Fair outranges all of snake's options, not sure how true it is, but perhaps to counter that you can do a pivot grab or the grenade grabbing.

Arrows are slow enough you can powershield, roll to avoid to gain distance, etc. And still snake outranges pit in all ground options pretty much. Angel Ring will knock off some options, but a ftilt into it to cancel the attack followed by another ftilt to punish pit. I'm pretty sure pit's dtilt is his largest ranged move. So pretty much grounded close: snake > pit, grounded far away: pit > snake (can attack faster with arrows than you can cook and fire at pit, plus shield reflects/protects against damage).

Then you have the rest of the normal stuff. Snake is heavier and kills easier, but horrible in recovery and air game in comparison to the opposing side. (I wonder how much better snake would be if he just had a better air game and recovery).

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I've found that nair works well on pits that like to overuse the glide back onto the stage option.
edge guarding with nair is great

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
what makes snake have the advantage vs. falco?
Falco can't kill snake. If you have good DI then you will seriously live for ever. I survived a fresh slightly charged fsmash on BF at 167%. Pretty much all of his moves can be DI'd until extreme percents if you know what you're doing.

It really isn't hard at all to avoid his gimps. Plus, falco is pretty easy to gimp and snake can kill him at a lot lower percent. The only thing falco has over snake is his chaingrab, but just camp nades like crazy till you're over 40% and then the chain grab doesn't even matter. I would say this matchup is slightly in snake's favor.

napZzz

Smash Hero
Killing doesn't seem like it matters to me, its hard to get close to or camp a good falco :/ cg-spike is an easy like, 60 something % right away for them and makes the kill easy. bleh. I'm still not convinced snake can have an advantage though.

This logic would make something like the diddy vs. DDD matchup change from 6/4 to DDD's favor.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Killing doesn't seem like it matters to me, its hard to get close to or camp a good falco :/ cg-spike is an easy like, 60 something % right away for them and makes the kill easy. bleh. I'm still not convinced snake can have an advantage though.

This logic would make something like the diddy vs. DDD matchup change from 6/4 to DDD's favor.
The chain grab is why you camp like crazy till you're over 40%. He can't chain grab you if you constantly have grenades sitting at your feet... And if you didn't know, you can duck under his lasers- making his camping completely worthless and ineffective. It is also not hard at all to read their side-b when you get close. Just hit them with a dtilt or let go of crouch and hold A to hit them out of it. Or just shield and go to where they're landing.

Snake has the slight advantage in this matchup.

napZzz

Smash Hero
You cant camp falco. Everytime your out trying to pull nades or throw them is when they can hit with lasers.

Ducking? What are you doing. Avoiding lasers. your not putting any kind of damage on him and your just sitting there. It'll get you nowhere. All you can do is duck until they try to approach? :3

grenades at your feet means he can throw you somewhere else. Your still taking damage and going nowhere. All this grenade pulling is just time he can hit you with lasers.

It doesn't seem like a good falco would do anyting like random side b's, or side b period.

All snake has is weight, and the camping and cg'ing space leave you at a disadvantage start of every stock making him only need about 100% more on you before he can kill you, you still need to hit him for awhile more than that, easy as it may be well spaced aerials make him hard to ftilt, you can only land grabs. Snake stands a decent chance in the air.

Falco can have the slight advantage.

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
A lot of Falco's use side B to either get around or just to mix it up, so there is a point to learning how his side B works, the distance and all that. It is pretty predictable once you get used to it. Aside from this, it's very possible to edge guard Falco as Snake, your Nair cancels his phantasms, his fire bird is terrible, and both these things are vulnerable to edgehogs. So plant a c4 on the edge region, shoot some mortars up, and edgehog, or if you don't have time to shoot the mortars just ready your Nair/edge hugging.

The point of Ken's idea of sitting on grenades is that you don't get CG'd, but you do hit Falco with some nades in the process. This is the other way of starting a match with Falco, because some Snake's like to blow themselves up to 40 instead, I take the hard camping approach personally. Ban stages accordingly, and Falco vs. Snake is definitely in Snake's favor.

Also, learn the sweet spot on Falco's Fsmash, and he's got nothing to kill you with. His Usmash won't kill Snake until like a very high percentage with some proper DI. While Falco can edgeguard Snake because of his Space Animal Jumping ability, he only has 2 aerials that can knock you out of your cypher if you're not recovering high enough, and his bair while amazing won't kill you if it's stale and even fresh not for high percentages, and his down air, if he hits it DI it correctly if you're close enough to the stage, if not get ready to meteor cancel.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
You cant camp falco. Everytime your out trying to pull nades or throw them is when they can hit with lasers.

Ducking? What are you doing. Avoiding lasers. your not putting any kind of damage on him and your just sitting there. It'll get you nowhere. All you can do is duck until they try to approach? :3
I'm not saying to camp him. Duck under the lasers and crawl towards him as your approach- I promise you won't get hit by a single laser. It is really not that hard..

grenades at your feet means he can throw you somewhere else. Your still taking damage and going nowhere. All this grenade pulling is just time he can hit you with lasers.
The point of the grenades is so you don't get chaingrabbed spiked and end up with 70%. Just camp grenades till you have over 40%, or like TwentyTwo said, you can blow yourself up if you like. So with grenades at your feet, that means that a grab only equals one grab for falco.

Once you are past 40% is when you start to fight normal.

It doesn't seem like a good falco would do anyting like random side b's, or side b period.
You obviously haven't watched and of the good falcos then. Watch DEHF, that's practically all he does, lol.
All snake has is weight, and the camping and cg'ing space leave you at a disadvantage start of every stock making him only need about 100% more on you before he can kill you, you still need to hit him for awhile more than that, easy as it may be well spaced aerials make him hard to ftilt, you can only land grabs. Snake stands a decent chance in the air.
Again, keep grenades around you till you're above 40% and just duck under his lasers. Really not that hard.
Snake has the slight advantage.
Fixed.

While it is definitely an extremely annoying matchup to fight, it is still in snake's favor.

Meganimal

Smash Rookie
Best spot to camp with Snake

I think the best spot to camp with Snake isn't the border of the platform like many think but i believe it's the middle because:

Stage control will be easier, C4, Mine on the border, you and your amazings tilts ranges, your nades and the mortar in the middle. As a consequence you can outcamp easily with explosives/throwing nades and punish well mistakes of your opponent, your opponent won't be able to stay shielding all the time so he will do something and you will have to react, he has only few options, your not far from him, if he comes to attack, you can boostgrab, ftilt, if you predict a jump, you can nair etc...
If you keep a good spacing with your tilts, only few characters would be able to got you like Olimar due to his grab range for example.

You will die at higher pourcentage and it will be way easier to recover, if your not coming far away from the platefrom, you can quickly recover and reach the ground.
On characters like Mk who got a grab which slide, you won't be away from the platform too early so recover will also be much easier.

You will have more room to escape from pressure in case of a dangerous offensive so you won't do dangerous mistakes called by the pressure.

The game will be funnier too because it will be pretty intensive :D

This is my opinion, tell me what do you think of it, i have find other arguments in her favor but the more important one are here, i will anyway post them later.
I think this tactic wouldn't work on characters like Rob and Olimar but they aren't many.

:)

xsephirot

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, need help with pikachu matchup. This matchup is one of the werost for me. I just can't seem to get used to the range of pikachu's hitboxes and hes extremely fast with his attacks. And when I'm recovering that thunder attack kills me at 80%. Its hard to time the airdodge since if you dodge but don't DI away while stsill invincible you can still get hit

IxxI

Smash Fence
Hey guys, need help with pikachu matchup. This matchup is one of the werost for me. I just can't seem to get used to the range of pikachu's hitboxes and hes extremely fast with his attacks. And when I'm recovering that thunder attack kills me at 80%. Its hard to time the airdodge since if you dodge but don't DI away while stsill invincible you can still get hit
Patience is the key. Go to the matchup thread, its there for a reason.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Snake does fine on Picto if you KO with Bairs and Nairs more than Utilts and Uairs. Thats because of the high ceiling but short sides of the stage.

But as far as Olimar goes, I have no idea. And Oli vs Snake on that stage? Still no idea.

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
Idk if it's a good CP as it's not legal in my region most of the time, but I would think it's bad against Oli, because he can camp better, and it's a relatively low stage and easy for him to recover on to, so less chance of gimping him, but at the same time he's light and if you can nail him, the close sides will get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom