• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashWiki and Smash Boards Podcast

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
First to listen to the Podcast! I love the electric clicks I hear in the backround.

I'd like to hear more jokes, if possible.
"He's Australian, it doesn't really matter." ^_^

Oh dang. I want to vote for Scav now. :( Too late.

You guys even sound smart. Overall, I enjoyed it, though you could have talked about things other than Smash.

WaterTails

Smash Lord
Need to brush my teeth extra fast today to watch the Podcast!

Edit: Best Podcast "Theme music" EVAR!

thank you, Frankiefly(?)

On Podcast #2, can you guys stay a similar distance from the Mic(not the mod) 'cause it seemed like Scav was really quiet.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Actually, I just need to buy a new mic. I was using the one built into my mac, which works fine for chatting, but the quality isn't there for a podcast. I'll have a new one for the next episode.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Smash Wiki is so informative. Kudos to Wikipedia!

As for the podcast, I need a mic and a new computer. (prefereably a laptop)

WaterTails

Smash Lord
Good. I had the speakers like blaring, then when KK came on, I was like AAAAAH! Too loud!

PS: should we try to be making Wiki pages for ourself if we haven't really gone competitive yet?

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
POdcast....going to listen NOW. Finally, some form of media (of smash/pro smash) to show my friends at school! Everything is blocked and nobody believes anything about advanced tactics and their effects. But enough about my blabbing, off to download itunes which I have been putting off for a looooong time. :-\

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
Great job guys! Though it did tend to drag on at certain places, overall very enjoyable and informative. It's nice to know that you guys are real people and not robots (or maybe you're just robots with good voices?).

Let me know if you want me to help out. I've done public speaking before and I'm a pretty good announcer.

Also, if you guys ever decide to do video stuff, let me know. I've directed some pretty good movies for my school.

Sorry if I sound arrogant, but I just really want to help you guys out.

PokemonTrainerLisa

Smash Apprentice
Wow!

You guys are gonna have a Smash-wiki?

That sounds great! ^_^

And also, I love the podcast idea!! I enjoy listening to podcasts (my favorite, of course, is the Pokemon-related, Bulbacast).

So, I was wondering, for your Smash podcast, will you be taking callins? You know, so people who have Skype and a microphone can call in to ask questions (or you can call them, since you'll be hosting the conference)?

I'm just curious, because I LOVE participating in podcasts. :chuckle:

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I liked it, looking forward to more.

I was going to say to advertise this a little more by putting it as an announcement, but it looks like you guys already did that earlier today. Maybe put it in your sigs?

radical00edward

Smash Journeyman
the podcast was nice, i have been using smashwiki and its amazing. my signature has a link to my teams smashwiki page.

Sushiman

Smash Journeyman
Wow!

You guys are gonna have a Smash-wiki?

That sounds great! ^_^

And also, I love the podcast idea!! I enjoy listening to podcasts (my favorite, of course, is the Pokemon-related, Bulbacast).

So, I was wondering, for your Smash podcast, will you be taking callins? You know, so people who have Skype and a microphone can call in to ask questions (or you can call them, since you'll be hosting the conference)?

I'm just curious, because I LOVE participating in podcasts. :chuckle:
We're not gonna have one. They already made it.

F8X

Smash Ace
First off I recommend that you rename it to The Smash Boards Zunecast....:lick:

Anyways if you want to spread the podcast, I would use digg. I just submitted a link to them, which is waiting to be approved. KiKi, all you would have to to is update the feed and digg does the rest(its really just a RSS reader).
http://digg.com/podcasts/Super_Smash_Blog
It will look something like this when its approved

I just took a quick look at the info on the file I just would like to say a few things. You don't need to have the podcast at 80kbps. You could bring it down to 64kbps and it would sound just fine.

I would also recommend you make a 16kbps version. It may sound bad but people who have dial up will be able to enjoy the podcast without waiting for the normal version to download.

Also you should change the artist to KiKi and Scav. There's no need to not credit yourself.

And the podcast could use a logo. * looks at the Artwork Emporium *

I'll comment on the first episode after I'm done listening to my twit.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Awesome! thanks for the help, F8X. Digg is strange and mysterious to me, but I've been using it more and more lately.

Edit: Is there a comparable thing we can do for Reddit? I like them more, myself.

F8X

Smash Ace
Awesome! thanks for the help, F8X. Digg is strange and mysterious to me, but I've been using it more and more lately.

Edit: Is there a comparable thing we can do for Reddit? I like them more, myself.
Scav, if you've read any blog out on the series of tubes I'm sure you've seen the many book marking sites that accompany it.

I've found few links that will allow KiKi to just use a little copy-pasta and the blog should add buttons with submit links.

http://bloggerwhale.blogspot.com/2007/02/how-to-submit-links-to-60-social.html
http://3spots.blogspot.com/2006/02/30-social-bookmarks-add-to-footer.html
http://www.blogmarketingtactics.com/social-bookmarking/social-bookmarking-top-links.html

This would just add the Podcast episode as a blog story and it would not quite be as in depth as digg's podcast feature.

I would recommend just using buttons with the submit links. This would just allow readers/ listeners to add the podcast /story to the book marking site of their choosing.

In the end it should look like this

The podcast feature on digg is not the only on out there. Yahoo, last fm, and podcast feed gathering sites like Podcast Alley. Theses sites are pretty much RSS readers , meaning that all KiKi would have to do is update the RSS feed on the blog and all of theses sites ill not only advertise the podcast, they will also give the users the ability to listen from their favorite podcast site.

Just a note the podcast feature on digg will allow you to add a button that looks like this

http://digg.com/tools/integrate

A lot of work yes, but when its done the blog will have many new visitors.

I'll gladly take care of the submitting, but it will take the whole community to promote the podcast.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Well, getting onto the front page of Digg just once generates a massive amount of traffic. My goal is to start focusing on that when we actually have brawl news to draw people in.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
It's sad, but UndrDog is right. If you acted a little less unintelligent you'd also seem more American =P.

Anyways, the podcast. That was great guys. Honestly, I've never really listened to podcasts before, but I really enjoyed this and am going to stay on top of it. If there is something I can do to contribute, let me know.

Also, for the "submitting questions" in, like recording ourselves, how exactly does that work? I was a little confused on that.

P.S. I think you should talk about the Global Smasher Compendium on the next podcast.

F8X

Smash Ace
I feel it would be better to post my thoughts on the podcast in a new post so here goes...

First off let me say that I was taken aback on the quality of the podcast. I was expecting a horrible show, but I was pleasantly surprised. My only complaint was that KiKi did not speak in his microphone clearly all of the time. But besides that it was pretty good.

I have some recommendations that may make the show better.

First off I understand that the comments are currently held in the blog, but I feel that it would be more interactive and beneficial for the show if comments from the podcast were featured on the boards. Meaning that for every new show we get an announcement and a discussion topic to go along with it.

It would also be nice if the next epicode included a short bio of Scav and KiKi. While most of our posters know Scav not to many know KiKi (outside the Broom). It would also be good for people who don’t know Scav as well.

I mean all I know about KiKi is that he mains Samus, he is hetrosexual, he uses Firefox, and is Linux user, and he has never read 1984(Big Brother has a mustache!). Sadly pure awesomeness is no more.

I’m also not sure if this has been done but I believe there is a way to monitor unique ip views of the podcast. Cause, y’know… you don’t want to be just heard by yourself.

I would also suggest, if possible a guest speaker on each episode(assuming that KiKi and Scav are to stay permanent hosts).By guest speaker I mean someone like Mic_128(or Mike ‘cause Australians don’t matter) or any other poster/ advocate in the smash comunity who has deemed him/herself worthy of being on the show(all they would need is a Mic, Skype and some type of audio recording software). I know this may not be possible but it would bring some variety to each show.

I would also recommend that a link to the Podcast and Smashbrawl.com be placed on top of the boards. If I did not have the Blog in my RSS reader I would have never visited the blog. I understand we have the “Partner Sites” but its pretty much useless at the bottom of the page.

Well, getting onto the front page of Digg just once generates a massive amount of traffic. My goal is to start focusing on that when we actually have brawl news to draw people in.
I think you misunderstand how the digg Podcasting feature works. I have the ability to search through all of the podcasts submitted. The podcasts themselves stay on the digg page as long as there is an RSS feed to back them up (which for conversations sake lets just say forever :)). Digg also allows me to search by group and as you can tell from the picture from my previous post our podcast clearly is in the Games & Hobbies section. Smashboards could be on the front page of digg’s podcasting section for a very long time, providing the podcast with not just a single bump in usage, but rather a constant support from new and current viewers, posters, readers, and members of both digg and the boards.

I have no experience with Yahoo podcasts or Odeo(which I forgot to mention in my previous post) but these Podcasting sites should all have the same affect on the podcast, a good one.

I look forward to the next show, keep up the good work.

Phrozn

Smash Journeyman
Awesome, I'm really excited about both things. I could listen to a smash podcast for hours. Keep them long :) and full of everything! GJ everyone who put their time into these projects.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
i could make a logo if needed?

also , are there any good wiki tutorials for this type of wiki. im so confused about some of the more elegant edits like tables and such, even leaving a user comment under discussion i cant seem to pull off.

any help would greatly be appreciated. ive always wanted to be part of a wiki and this si great

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
The podcast was great guys :).

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
We should clean up the writing one the Wiki. It's fine to speak informally on the boards, but the Wiki should have more formal language.

edit: Someone should be put in charge of editing the writing. I know people are editing the Wiki's content , but the presentation is also important.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I had a dream that you guys kept making like... fifty second long podcasts with little updates in them. Don't do that ^_^

Also, I think F8X is onto something. I'm rather inexperienced to the whole podcast thing myself, but the way he described this "Digg" program sounds like it could be really beneficial and become a great boon tol the podcast's popularity. Of course, you might want to wait until it is a little more fine tuned before throwing it out there.

Also, I think an individual thread, topic, blog, or whatever for each new podcast would be great, like F8X said. It would not only organize discussion but allow people to address technicalities in each individual podcast and allow discussion to be overall more bentiful.

Kais

Smash Ace
We should clean up the writing one the Wiki. It's fine to speak informally on the boards, but the Wiki should have more formal language.

edit: Someone should be put in charge of editing the writing. I know people are editing the Wiki's content , but the presentation is also important.
I have a feeling I'd be perfect for that position. How might I establish some credibility in the area?

Jump20X6

Smash Apprentice
So is the podcast going to go up on iTunes? It's free to add and makes downloading a heck of a lot easier for anyone who uses it. It just downloads automatically. Just a suggestion. Great show, and I love the wiki.

Top Bottom