• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashWiki and Smash Boards Podcast

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
I don't feel there's any need to assign people to jobs -- if someone wants to do it, they will anyway. I'll do some large updates today.

EDIT: All material on Wikipedia is under the GNU license, which means it can be copy/pasted to Smashwiki so long as you cite it. That should help with general character pages (which I see don't exist yet.) Only problem is SmashWiki doesn't have the same template setup as Wikipedia, so there'll be some conflicts.

EDIT 2: If you copy a page from Wikipedia, just throw this at the bottom of the edit:

All text is copyright (©) Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. and is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
If copying directly from Wikipedia for an entire page like this, use this as a reference for how it's done:

http://www.smashwiki.com/wiki/Yoshi

There's a ton of formatting differences that will need to be corrected manually. Also, removal of all excess and irrelevant links is desirable (if it's irrelevant to Smash, take it out). As for pictures, they'll either need to be uploaded or have a change of URL.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
EDIT: All material on Wikipedia is under the GNU license, which means it can be copy/pasted to Smashwiki so long as you cite it.
No! Absolutely not true! Wikipedia's license does not allow its content to be copied indiscriminately to any other source. It can only be used in sources that are using the same license, which SmashWiki does not do. I've been looking at free licenses to determine the best license we should make our content available under, but I doubt it will be the GNU FDL and because of that Wikipedia content cannot be used verbatim.

Copying article content from Wikipedia has actually been a huge problem, hence the notice on the edit page that specifically excludes Wikipedia as an acceptable source of content.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
No! Absolutely not true! Wikipedia's license does not allow its content to be copied indiscriminately to any other source. It can only be used in sources that are using the same license, which SmashWiki does not do. I've been looking at free licenses to determine the best license we should make our content available under, but I doubt it will be the GNU FDL and because of that Wikipedia content cannot be used verbatim.

Copying article content from Wikipedia has actually been a huge problem, hence the notice on the edit page that specifically excludes Wikipedia as an acceptable source of content.
Just read the FDL again and you're right. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Why not just switch over to GNU for copyrighting, then?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Gotta say, Smashwiki is improving, but it is still seeming pretty bare compared to the depth of the game, we need more and more people to edit it.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Question,do you have to sign up with wiki first to edit smashwiki?
I read somewhere you might not have to,or youdo something or another.

Sandy

Smash Champion
The third episode is out!

Kirby King said:
Today Scav, Mic, and I discuss Mario and Sonic's joint venture (and what it might tell us about Brawl), Mario Strikers' online play (and what it might tell us about Brawl), and stage selection in tournaments (Brawl, not so much). Could you tell Brawl news hasn't been too fast in coming recently?
Thanks for answering my question.

Kragen

Smash Ace
ZEST2 is in the Netherlands ;)
Funny is, about every guy here knows about it, and is on the list :D
but thanks for the commercial ^^

And Mic's accent is <3

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord
Whenever I try to log into the Wiki i get

A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was:

(SQL query hidden)

from within function "User::addToDatabase". MySQL returned error "1062: Duplicate entry '18661' for key 1 (localhost)".

What should i do?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I'm anxious for the next one. Perhaps it will be more action packed, more informative, and have more awesome accents THAN ANY SMASHCAST EVER!

Of course this is pure speculation.

WaterTails

Smash Lord
I assume it'll be in 6/7 days, for them to have a ULTRA SUPER MEGA SIGHT RELAUNCH SPECTACULAR (w/ sakurai as a guest-star)

16BitJorge

Smash Rookie
How accurate is the Tournament Legal page on SmashWiki? What I've read there contradicts what I've read on several MLG tournament threads here, particularly concerning banned stages. Could someone please clear this up for me?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
There is always some percent error between the people who edit smashwiki and those who post here. Understand that what some tournaments will have as a legal, neutral stage, another may not. When it comes down to it, on smashwiki (correct me if I am wrong) all you need is a SWF account to edit most pages, and this allows people to perhaps change the pages at will. Here on SWF, however, you are able to discuss with tournament directors who could potentially give you better advice.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
OK, what happened to the SmashCasts? Are you guys too busy to make a new one? Are you out of material? If I submitted some information, would that help?

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
It's definitely not about material anymore, it's about time. We're working on getting new people on the show who actually have time to spend on such things, and hopefully will have an update on that soon-ish.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Neat announcement, and it is definitely pretty awsome! ;) :) :cool:

Edit:That article that Gamespy was doing the Wii online was intresting, and I didn't know that. Keep up the great work, and keep it coming! ;) :) :cool:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I gotta say I liked the 4th podcast the most (but the other 3 were good), is there a planned post E3 5th one, or maybe one after another confirmed character, or more material to work with=??? I really enjoy it by the podcasts by the way! :)

chansen

Smash Lord
I must be missing something, because i cant figure out how to edit my own profile on the wiki <_<. maybe someone should make sure stupid stoners like me can figure this out.

chansen

Smash Lord
does making my wiki look cool and organized require me to have years of javascript training??? My original post was just to let the right people know that this isnt very clear and if a nineteen year old cant figure it out (no matter how stoned i may be), it'll probably be even more difficult for younger smashers to participate.

Or is that not what you want?

Top Bottom