• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashWiki and Smash Boards Podcast

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
Just copy and paste someone with a good profile, and then just change all their information.

^.^

chansen

Smash Lord
Wiser words could not have been typed there. I feel dum b as a bag of hammers.

Thanks Toecutter!

EDIT: It sorta worked, but I can't get a good layout with my picture and stuff...or do i have to be pro to get the good treatment?

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
You have to upload the picture you wish to use. The Upload tool is near the bottom, on the left side.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I like SmashCast #4 because they all said 'Buzz' a lot. ^_^

chansen

Smash Lord
There defnitely needs to be someone who gives a **** about small town smashers, aka me, modding the wiki. I worked really hard on my wiki and now it got deleted...there was no reason or notification. I'm pretty sure he needs to be thrown off his throne, his ego is getting to him.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Is it to me or to Gideon, cuz gid is too cool.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Gideon is actually a god among men. If anyone of our 70000 members talks bad about him, all 69999 other members are going to rip their faces off. That'd be something we'd be likely to hear in Smashcast #5.

chansen

Smash Lord
Randal00, i dont know if thats gideon, but there was nothing on my wiki and he was the last one to touch it.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
I am many things, but I am NOT egotistical.

Mr. Chansen,

I've attempted to address this a couple of times on the wiki itself since you seem to be quite intent on attacking me because I "deleted" your article, when you just don't have a working knowledge of the wiki interface or any consideration for my contributions outside of articles related directly to you.

Let me explain exactly what I did in the hopes of preventing you from overreacting in the future:
  1. Your page was located at User:Chansen within the SmashWiki's domain. On any MediaWiki-based website, the data that comprises the articles are broken down across "namespaces," such as the "User" namespace for pages like User:Erik the Appreciator and the "Talk" namespace for pages like Talk:Zelda, or maybe even the "SmashWiki" namespace for site-wide projects and policies like SmashWiki:Smasher Project.
  2. Most of these namespaces are designed to help the site grow, because as an encylcopedia that can be edited by anyone, there is an awful lot of correspondence that needs to take place between the editors to help the articles in the "Main" namespace become all that they can be. Because your smasher article was located in the "User" namespace, when it should have been in the main one, I cut the contents of your user page out, leaving the page blank.
  3. And here's the kicker. I typed the word "Chansen" into the search box to check if you had a duplicate article in the main namespace. Which you didn't. So, therefore, I created the article, pasted the contents of your user page into it, then I went and cleaned up the formatting of the page and recategorized it appropriately to help legitimize your role as a competitor in the global smash community.
  4. You can find that page at: Chansen on SmashWiki, with more content than it had in the first place.
Permit me a quote:

Chansen said:
just because you made this doesn't mean people from smaller towns who are still **** good at the game can't have their own wiki.

I hope you die. I worked hard on that.
You copied and pasted a good profile (possibly even one that I wrote) and filled in the blanks, don't talk to me about hard work.

As to the wishing death on internet strangers, that's touching, but if I had died your article would still be in the wrong namespace, uncategorized and therefore much less likely to get read. And in fact, to remedy the issue of the blank user page, I have now taken the liberty of editing your user page to include a direct reference back to your appropriate smasher article.

User:Chansen

Chansen said:
There defnitely needs to be someone who gives a **** about small town smashers, aka me, modding the wiki.
It stuns me that you would suggest yourself as an appropriate moderator for a wiki on the basis that you are someone who gives a **** about small town smashers when your operations on the wiki interface itself are so novice. Right down to not signing your comments with four tildes (a cardinal sin of experienced wiki workers).

What I dislike most is how you seem to have the idea that I don't care about small town smashers just because I blanked your user page. Hopefully the above clarification can at least cast that assumption aside, because I challenge you to find anyone on that wiki who cares more about small town smashers than I do.

Taken out of context, you're absolutely right, someone who cares does need to be modding the wiki, but this wouldn't be the first time I've said that and isn't likely to be the last. Staffing is the greatest fault of SmashWiki (and SWF overall for that matter) and I suspect that if more diligent sysops were kicking around, some of the policies regarding namespaces and editing conventions could be clarified on the page instead of in flame wars and unfounded accusations. Who knows, we might even be able to get the Article of the Week working!?

You were right to come here all things considered, though, you'll probably get a lot of support. SWF administration doesn't seem to like me very much. That's the trouble with submitting change notices for the greater good of the community at large: it tends to get taken as a personal criticism.

Good luck on getting moderatorship without really having the qualifications, though. It worked for Hiemie.

chansen

Smash Lord
I in no way suggested that I be a moderator of any kind. In fact this long post shocks me greatly. You do care about small town smashers. You don't care, however, about those who might not be as experienced or knowledgable in the topic field. I do thank you for reconsidering and reposting my wiki, that was thoughtful. I am grateful to those who are at least a little forgiving.

And I hope this can be put behind us.

/sorry for the death wish too.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
lol, this has been one of the saddest conflicts I've ever seen, but I think things like this need to happen once in a while because we all learn from blow-ups like this. I, as an onlooker, really hope you two do put this behind you, and learn from this experience. Mod's and people in positions of power aren't always out to get people,or ban them, or give them infractions.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
I think "one of the saddest conflicts I've ever seen" is a bit of a stretch...

Well of course, there's nothing to put behind us. :) It's not a conflict and I'm a realist about things like this; just trying to do what's best for the community.

Chansen said:
You don't care, however, about those who might not be as experienced or knowledgable in the topic field.
Well, that's not strictly true either, but I can see what you're saying. The only retort I have was touched on briefly: there needs to be more sysops and administrators on the wiki to make it more user-friendly for new users. As an editor, the fact that there aren't guidelines, policies and collective projects put in place simply isn't my problem.

I have a great tolerance for people who are new to the wiki and am more than willing to help turn someone into a valuable and active contributor if they so choose. Chansen, you're obviously a relaxed, laid-back and generally a pretty cool guy; I just don't take too well to the impolite approach to resolving these issues. I would not have reacted in the same way had you just asked "what happened to my article?", so I apologize for my patronizing tone and would also like to thank you for not taking it personally. It shows a rare strength of character.

Mod's and people in positions of power aren't always out to get people,or ban them, or give them infractions.
That said, I can't say I've ever had an encounter with a moderator that doesn't involve at least one of those three criteria; but that's just me (for some reason).

chansen

Smash Lord
it's definitely true about the need for a more user friendly interface. If you look a little farther back in the thread, i could barely figure it out...

thanks for understanding.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
SmashCast #2 and #3 don't seem to exist when I try and play or download them anymore. Did something happen to the file on the server side or is this just me?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Gideon is actually a god among men. If anyone of our 70000 members talks bad about him, all 69999 other members are going to rip their faces off. That'd be something we'd be likely to hear in Smashcast #5.
Count me as one of the 69,999. Anyone rips him, we'll play a 1 on 69,999 SSB Melee match. We'll chaingrab, Shuffle, wavedash grab, etc. the life out of them. We won't go for the KO...we'll go for the pwn.

And I can't wait to hear smashcast #5. I'd love to hear analysis on tournaments [SSB64, Melee, and if anyone is crazy enough to have one already, Brawl], site updates, etc. It'd be pretty neat. :)

Sorry about that. I went to update the posts with the new URLs for the episodes, and I made a typo. They should work now.
YAE! I was having issues, and I'm glad it's back up for download. Thanks. :)

And hope the wiki issues aren't long term, since the smash wiki rocks! :)

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Hoy !
I thing that the Smashwiki ist an awesome thing, and as a french player, I thought it would be good to have a french version of it, since most french players don't speak english, especially those who need the wiki's informations. So we created a wiki (which is still pretty empty now, due to technical difficulties). I already asked MaskedMarth if we could translate the templates, since it pretty hard to do, but now I wanted to ask if we could translate the whole thing. I mean, many articles of the Smashwiki are well written and complete, so it would be easier to translate it.
So I wanted to know if you would agree with this translation project.

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
Oh man, all this time and I didn't know this thread was here! I'll certainly swing by here more often in case anybody has questions or requests.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
*ahem*

Hi.

I'll say it once.

Make me a SysOp on the SmashWiki, or watch it degrade into an irreparable wasteland of internet spam, vandalism and personal attacks on members of the community.

This is my last attempt at trying to help Smash World Forums, else I wish the other dedicated wiki contributors (Erik the Appreciator, MaskedMarth, WaluigisAwesome, etc) the best of luck in keeping it going...but I'd still recommend retiring unless there is a serious administrative change.

$hYne

Smash Ace
Germany, but i dont use this account anymore, my n
Hi.

I'll say it once.

Make me a SysOp on the SmashWiki, or watch it degrade into an irreparable wasteland of internet spam, vandalism and personal attacks on members of the community.

This is my last attempt at trying to help Smash World Forums, else I wish the other dedicated wiki contributors (Erik the Appreciator, MaskedMarth, WaluigisAwesome, etc) the best of luck in keeping it going...but I'd still recommend retiring unless there is a serious administrative change.
/sign

rjm for sysop

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Hi.

I'll say it once.

I've already starting putting together a sysop nomination process. I haven't posted it yet because there are a couple other things on my plate at the moment, and I need some time to flesh out all of the details of nominating sysops. I appreciate your willingness to help, but less so when it's issued in the form of an ultimatum.

That said, the wiki has not been getting the upper-level attention it deserves, which is something that the Senate is (and has been) looking at. I can't say when you'll see all the fruits of those efforts, but we will be adding sysops to the wiki in the coming days and weeks.

EDIT: [wiki=SmashWiki:pool_Room#Sysop_Nominations]See my post on SmashWiki[/wiki].

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Well, I don't particularly appreciate the fact that I can't get a response out of an administrator unless I present an ultimatum or something that could potentially be perceived as an insult, but historically, you're pretty on top of things as far as admins go, KK, so understand that it's not personal. :)

I don't believe it's best to leave the appointment of SysOps up to the existing SmashWiki community (which is a different entity than SWF--for instance, Masked Marth, a SysOp, didn't know this thread existed until page 11...) due to the overwhelming gap in operational wiki knowledge between the few quality contributors and the huge numbers of one-day editors that muck it all up. It's rather like electing a mayor in a coastal city based on the votes of the fish in the sea. Anyway, the full diatribe is on the wiki.

EPX2

Smash Ace
Same. Regardless, you have my support if and when you get around to nominating yourself, RJM. You do an extraordinary amount of work for the wiki.

MRun

Smash Cadet
Hi. I'm having a bit of trouble signing onto SmashWiki. I tried putting in my SWF username and password but came up with an error message. My name appears to be perfectly legal according to the name requirements. I followed the link and sent a message a few days ago, but I haven't gotten a response yet.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
I can't say for sure where the error is, so could you try to log in again and see if you see any error text near the top of the page? (It might be small.) I tried to add some text that will help clue me in as to where it might be going wrong.

MRun

Smash Cadet
Uh, sure:

Login error:There is no user by the name "MRun". Check your spelling, or create a new account.
It seems as though SmashWiki doesn't think that my account exists.

Top Bottom