• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMASHPOCALYPSE:: SPOC IX in February? Link to SPOC VIII results in OP

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
yea like if them prices are like that for another 3-6 weeks I may have a shot at going. Even if in that amount of time they dun go up like crazy I will not be knocked out of the running just yet. I have a feeling they will SHOOT up within that time though =P

pockyD

Smash Legend
I tried to warn you guys that things would just get worse the longer you waited. Now prices are more than a $100 what I payed. If you still plan on going regardless, you should def buy tickets before they get even higher. Right now it costs $340, and in a couple of weeks I guarantee it will be $400+
for the umpteenth time, that's not how plane tickets work

just see the post on this page for proof

pockyD

Smash Legend
and forget about whether it's "worth it"; as long as you can afford it, it WILL be "worth it"

there will not be another tournament like this one!

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
was pound 3 a disappointment or something? i thought it was easily worth whatever i paid
no it wasnt by any means, but like something like it DID occur.......I'd like to think that ROM and genesis(seemingly) are comparable. ROM not so much in respect to entrants but still VERY high level of epic/hype and multi region/country participation.

In short, I feel that ur former statement suggests that there will never be another epic large tourney. Which I think is un-true

pockyD

Smash Legend
800 + pre-reg'd

there has never been a tournament that came close to this level of epic

ROM was even smaller than pound 3, and was thrown together in like 3 weeks

JFox

Smash Hero
oh great pockyD, knower of all things, plz explain to us all how plane ticket prices work...

LOL all i know is i bought tickets off hotwire.com for $221. Now its a few months later and that same flight costs $400.

pockyD

Smash Legend
The gist of it is that demand fluctuates wildly in the airline market (because for example, vacations are booked super far in advance whereas business trips are often booked days in advanced), and due to competition, airlines have to vary their prices over time periods in order to ensure that...

- others don't corner the market for people buying in a certain time range
- they sell all their tickets (since an unsold seat is pretty much money lost; it's not like they can hold that stock)
- they get as much money for each ticket they sell as they can

I don't think there's more than 10 people out there, even directly involved in the industry, that can explain how the algorithm works in general, but the fact is if you have prices strictly increase with time, you will NEVER be able to get the people to pay the high prices that we naturally associate with last-minute travel, but are really just based on other factors influencing demand (i.e. consider how much food at mcdonald's in an airport costs vs a regular mcdonald's)

...and I hope you weren't seriously thinking that your TWO data points indicated correlation, much less causation

I probably put way too much thought into this post, and there's no reason I should even be awake at all right now... oh well; what's done is done

JFox

Smash Hero
lol pockyd you are such an elitist without a cause...

I understand that they are going to try and sell every seat they have, and that in order to do so they will often decrease the price dramatically a few days before a flight. However, the general undeniable trend when you are looking at ticket prices is they are less expensive if you buy them far in advance. This is common knowledge, no algorithm required. If you yourself were buying tickets, would you try and buy early, or would you pick any random day because "the likelihood of my prediction being 100% is nearly impossible due to the fluctuation and overall unpredictability of the consumer"

Now sure people can wait til the day before the flight and hope that they get lucky with a cheap unsold ticket. But doing this is very risky, you have no idea how much it will cost the day before. If its not cheap enough, I guess you're not going.

Really you are just playing it safe buying early. Typically prices follow a trend. They are cheap, then hit a peak, and than prices begin to drop until the airline sells out all tickets for that flight. How much they drop after the peak is a lot harder to predict than anything else.

I'm giving practical advice- buying early is typically the safest way to find the cheapest tickets. You are here just to argue. This is why people have a problem with you- you argue for the sake of argument even when it is impractical to do so.

Scar

#HarveyDent
ya i wouldnt even argue typically, it is safer to buy earlier. of course safer isn't always better, but it is always safer. miss u j

pockyD

Smash Legend
Ticket prices don't start strictly increasing until about 2-3 weeks before the date of the flight

Yes, what you believe is "common knowledge", but that doesn't even come close to making it true (see: half the things on mythbusters)

And I have no doubt what you're "trying" to do, but you are being a little bit too dense if you don't think I'm "trying" to do the same thing. I've really spent almost every week the past 4 years looking for plane tickets, trying to squeeze every penny just to get home for thanksgiving or Christmas. Honestly, tell me how many times in your life you've been responsible for purchasing a plane ticket; if you legitimately tell me it's more than 5, I will remain skeptical, but I will go ahead and move along since honestly, nobody outside of your or I cares because everybody likes to do things on their own schedule anyway (which is the basis of why ticket prices go up and down instead of strictly up).

You're giving "practical advice" that simply isn't true... seriously, just google it up for like 5 minutes and it's pretty plainly obvious. For example, this (see analysis examples) is a very "interesting" read if you actually care about the subject

If you drop your preconceived notion that I'm trolling you, then you'd realize that I'm not doing that at all... Just because you're wrong doesn't mean I'm out to get you

MaNg0

Smash Hero
tickets are dumb

like i bought my tickets for my 10 days at ec and it was like 310 ( like a month earlier)

but i checked for tickets if i were to go this week

and they were like 250

JFox

Smash Hero
pocky, how is what you are saying "advice"? Are you advising that people buy according to their own schedules because the ticket prices are too unpredictable to be bothered going out of your way and buying early? If that is your advice, fine you aren't trolling, but I disagree.

This year alone I've helped out many people with ticket info (Mango, Zhu, Lovage, Eggm, Jman, etc.) I'm flying 3 times this summer, all of which I've bought tix for already, one being genesis, the two others being international. So I'm not ignorant by any means.

My point is simply that there are patterns. Tickets start low- peak out, than drop until tix are sold out. If they sell out before dropping far below the peak- you're **** outta luck. So you're basically counting on that flight not selling out- which is very risky considering genesis is in July, a huge travel month.

pockyD

Smash Legend
pocky, how is what you are saying "advice"? Are you advising that people buy according to their own schedules because the ticket prices are too unpredictable to be bothered going out of your way and buying early? If that is your advice, fine you aren't trolling, but I disagree.
My advice is to NOT simply jump in and buy tickets as soon as you know your desired dates of travel, if your goal is to minimize cost (I know that's not the goal for a lot of people, including sometimes even for me nowadays - peace of mind does count for something). Watch the prices over some time, and/or do some outside research to get a general idea of what the cost will be, and then buy whenever you see it near the low end of the spectrum

This year alone I've helped out many people with ticket info (Mango, Zhu, Lovage, Eggm, Jman, etc.) I'm flying 3 times this summer, all of which I've bought tix for already, one being genesis, the two others being international. So I'm not ignorant by any means.
This is sort of biased because if you have already bought tickets as you claim, then you already paid the price and are probably unaware of any further price changes (see that image someone posted a page or two back of the "current" price)

My point is simply that there are patterns. Tickets start low- peak out, than drop until tix are sold out. If they sell out before dropping far below the peak- you're **** outta luck. So you're basically counting on that flight not selling out- which is very risky considering genesis is in July, a huge travel month.
And my point is that that's not a general pattern... the only true "common" pattern (assuming your travel dates // origin+destination are set) is that within like 3 weeks of the date of travel, prices will steadily increase; any time before that, it's largely a crapshoot

I'm curious as to when you think the prices start "dropping until tix are sold out"; quite simply put, if you manage to buy a guaranteed ticket (meaning not stand-by) a day or two before the flight, far more often than not, you are paying almost the maximum price for your ticket

Anyways, I find airline pricing strategy really really interesting (I guess my math/cs nerddom is kicking in?!), so I'd rather keep talking about the actual thing itself rather than fire ad hominems back and forth... and as usual, if you want me to 'shut up', i would stop posting when people stop responding

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
666. The number of Nero, the beast.
9?9. Flipped. Smashers ascend to heaven.
9/?/09. SPOC. Get your wing game ready.

GET HYPED FOUR MONTHS IN ADVANCE.

Sensei

Smash Lord
Pocky, you should make a website that can calculate when to buy tickets for the cheapest price, ANYTIME and ANYWHERE! Then when you press calculate, a pop up window comes up with a random insult.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
I'm definitely going to the next SPOC. Scar, just don't end up having the same date as Tipped Off 5 lol. Its also in September and thats gonna be a huge tournament too.

GOTM

Smash Champion
ill contribute if i can get the venue for my tourney again and the first one runs smooth. but i originally planned on not holding them every month, just cuz i dont feel like it.

skyheart

Smash Lord
getting your venue to be a good turnout is the hard part, to run it smoothly is majorly in your hands, the venue sounds very promising in the sense it is secure and 'nice', considering it is one of the library rooms, so trash it we shall not

Tomacawk

Smash Master
me and samurai are coming to this from the midwest.
PLEASE don't have this on or near the 23rd. Going to it will require me to lsoe m y job

Top Bottom