• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashing Entries Volume 1: Has Nintendo been neglecting it's core gamers?

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
right...

but I think the problem is that the separation exists. back in the day... it didn't. at least not to my knowledge.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
right...

but I think the problem is that the separation exists. back in the day... it didn't. at least not to my knowledge.
I don't know why people are making such a big deal about this, it's not like it's some sort of civil war.

And back when video games first existed the separation didn't exist because the hobby hadn't evolved. But casual games have existed since the beginning of video games.

It's not that big of a deal, I'm not sure why you're getting so dramatic over it...there is a large difference between soccer moms who bought a Wii to play Wii Fit and people who frequent a video game forum. I don't know what's wrong about acknowledging that...

We're all gamers, but everyone's looking for something different out of a game.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
the problem is that there is this "complaint" that nintendo is neglecting their core gamers in favor of making the cash off the "casual" gamers.

and in a sense, they are... a lot of good franchises are taking backseats to "casual" games...

but the question is... are these "casual" games really that bad? I'd be just as willing to go to a Wii Boxing Tourney as I am a Brawl tourney... :D

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
the problem is that there is this "complaint" that nintendo is neglecting their core gamers in favor of making the cash off the "casual" gamers.

and in a sense, they are... a lot of good franchises are taking backseats to "casual" games...

but the question is... are these "casual" games really that bad? I'd be just as willing to go to a Wii Boxing Tourney as I am a Brawl tourney... :D
Casual games aren't "bad", but they're different, and not everyone likes them. FPSs aren't necessarily bad either, but they're different from what I like and therefore I don't play them.

I prefer games with more depth than Wii Sports, that you can play for more than 15 minutes a day without getting bored of the repetitiousness. There's nothing inherently wrong with those games, they're just not what I prefer. If Nintendo were turning Microsoft and pumping out a ton of FPSs in place of their usual that'd upset me too.

Talwind

Smash Cadet
...Have you been talking to GreenKirby? I thought that was his catchphrase...

In any case, they are actually pretty poor games. As a product in general they may be good, but as a game they're really...not games.
In what cases did these products stop being games? Did sports suddenly stop being viable venues to have fun in and now they dont count as games?

I own ~20 Wii games, few of which I actually like.
What sense does this make? Stop buying games you dont like. Don't blame the system for your lack of knowledge when researching and buying games. Theres no reason for anyone to actually hate a gaming console. If you don't like it, sell it and be done with it.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to prove.

The Wii could have any 10 of its games, while the GameCube has only one game, Melee.

I'd rather take that GameCube.
I think the point was to prove that Nintendo is outputting games at a faster rate than last generation. Your opinion doesn't really pertain to that.

They may be good values with the peripheral, but that doesn't change the quality of the game itself. They may be nice in general for a peripheral, but having a peripheral doesn't automatically mean the game can be crap and it doesn't matter. You could get WiiSpeak packaged with AC:CF, but the game wasn't just a minigame collection because of it. Of course, the effort for City Folk was lazy in its own way, but not like that.

Also, the Balance Board is nearly useless so far unless you want to play Wii Fit...and $90 is a lot of money for a tech demo/balance board that you can't do anything with.
General consensus of people who buy these games are that they are fun and provide a good experience,sounds like a game to me. If the games were truly terrible, people would buy the stand-alone peripherals instead or just not get the games at all.
Shaun White plays great with the balance board and the regular control schemes dont provide as much fun.

What Nintendo should do is not listen to any gamers trying to dictate how a company should be run. Where were these people last gen and the gen before when Nintendo was in last place with piss poor hardware sales? They have every right to give the middle finger to the people holding them back. As long they're producing their games like they always have been, I could give a **** if they make more Wii whatever games.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
In what cases did these products stop being games? Did sports suddenly stop being viable venues to have fun in and now they dont count as games?
If you had paid attention to what I was replying to, I was talking about Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus. And they're fitness programs, not games. Even my friend who enjoys them and has benefited from the fitness crap agreed with me that they're not games.

What sense does this make? Stop buying games you dont like. Don't blame the system for your lack of knowledge when researching and buying games. Theres no reason for anyone to actually hate a gaming console. If you don't like it, sell it and be done with it.
A) I haven't bought a game since NSMBWii. Before that, MPT. (Both of which I liked.) Before that, Animal Crossing City Folk. Before that, I don't even remember. Moral of the story: I have stopped buying games and don't appreciate being lectured on my habits.

B) You're not going to get your full money back from selling the console + games, and you're going to lose whatever fun you're still having with it.

C) I'm a collector, which means I don't sell things.

D) I don't hate the Wii, I still enjoy it, just a lot less than the GameCube. Which was what I was trying to get across, if you had realized the context of that. I don't even have THAT much of a problem with Nintendo anymore, I just entered this debate because people are saying things that piss me off.

I think the point was to prove that Nintendo is outputting games at a faster rate than last generation. Your opinion doesn't really pertain to that.
The point of that is...?

If Nintendo's selling you dog crap by the gross (pun not intended) as opposed to games in single amounts are you going to take the dog crap? Quality over quantity in this case.

General consensus of people who buy these games are that they are fun and provide a good experience,sounds like a game to me. If the games were truly terrible, people would buy the stand-alone peripherals instead or just not get the games at all.
Shaun White plays great with the balance board and the regular control schemes dont provide as much fun.
I didn't say they aren't games, I just said they're not very good. If Wii Play didn't essentially cost $10 I wouldn't have bought it. Finding a Wiimote was impossible, I was going to get it any way I could. And when I buy Motion+ I'm not going to bother with Wii Sports Resort.

My point was that the balance board is way too expensive for the ~10 games it actually supports.

What Nintendo should do is not listen to any gamers trying to dictate how a company should be run. Where were these people last gen and the gen before when Nintendo was in last place with piss poor hardware sales? They have every right to give the middle finger to the people holding them back. As long they're producing their games like they always have been, I could give a **** if they make more Wii whatever games.
This paragraph makes me rage so hard.

A) I'm not telling them how to run their company, for crying out loud, I just want games from them that I enjoy. I know, I know, it's a crime to want things that I'll enjoy from a company.

B) Where was I last gen? DEFENDING THE GAMECUBE AND BUYING TONS OF GAMES FOR IT, THAT'S WHERE. This argument sucks, guys, because I see very few people that were dissatisfied with Nintendo last gen coming back and complaining again this generation.

C) Speaking of how to run a company, if you're smart you don't give the middle finger to anyone who's willing to buy your merchandise. The hardcore crowd may be small compared to the casual one, but it's not exactly made up of 5 people. And we're not holding them back, just asking for good games from them. Which hey they actually seem to be doing now. Guess they don't mind being held back after all! =D

Talwind

Smash Cadet
If you had paid attention to what I was replying to, I was talking about Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus. And they're fitness programs, not games. Even my friend who enjoys them and has benefited from the fitness crap agreed with me that they're not games.
Even if you are just talking about Wii Fit and Plus, is it not true they both contain many fitness exercises disguised as minigames? Im pretty sure its not all yoga and thats why people come back to them, because they provide a level of fun instead of straight exercise which crosses demographic boundaries.

A) I haven't bought a game since NSMBWii. Before that, MPT. (Both of which I liked.) Before that, Animal Crossing City Folk. Before that, I don't even remember. Moral of the story: I have stopped buying games and don't appreciate being lectured on my habits.

B) You're not going to get your full money back from selling the console + games, and you're going to lose whatever fun you're still having with it.

C) I'm a collector, which means I don't sell things.

D) I don't hate the Wii, I still enjoy it, just a lot less than the GameCube. Which was what I was trying to get across, if you had realized the context of that. I don't even have THAT much of a problem with Nintendo anymore, I just entered this debate because people are saying things that piss me off.
If you make claims like buying 20 games and only liking a few, you only have yourself to blame. You're telling me you didnt buy and enjoy games like Galaxy, Punchout or MKWii? Obviously its not the library thats the problem.
If you dont want to sell it, put it away and stop lamenting over your buyer's remorse.

The point of that is...?

If Nintendo's selling you dog crap by the gross as opposed to games in single amounts are you going to take the dog crap? Quality over quantity in this case.
Did you really just equate Nintendo's games with dog crap? Really? As you can plainly see its evident that Nintendo has been releasing many of their titles as sequels to existing core franchises, so if you're gonna call them dog crap then you're calling the whole series(going back to the GCN and further) dog crap since they offer an evolution on similar experiences.

I didn't say they aren't games, I just said they're not very good. If Wii Play didn't essentially cost $10 I wouldn't have bought it. Finding a Wiimote was impossible, I was going to get it any way I could. And when I buy Motion+ I'm not going to bother with Wii Sports Resort.

My point was that the balance board is way too expensive for the ~10 games it actually supports.
Im not really going to go into this point because its really your opinion and I cant change you're buying habits. Passing over one of the most unique and satisfying experiences because its a Wii ___ title? Smh.

The market dictates whats expensive compared to what an item is valued at. Apparently its worth it for those people.

This paragraph makes me rage so hard.

A) I'm not telling them how to run their company, for crying out loud, I just want games from them that I enjoy. I know, I know, it's a crime to want things that I'll enjoy from a company.

B) Where was I last gen? DEFENDING THE GAMECUBE AND BUYING TONS OF GAMES FOR IT, THAT'S WHERE. This argument sucks, guys, because I see very few people that were dissatisfied with Nintendo last gen coming back and complaining again this generation.

C) Speaking of how to run a company, if you're smart you don't give the middle finger to anyone who's willing to buy your merchandise. The hardcore crowd may be small compared to the casual one, but it's not exactly made up of 5 people. And we're not holding them back, just asking for good games from them. Which hey they actually seem to be doing now. Guess they don't mind being held back after all! =D

That last paragraph didnt really pertain to you but whatever. What I think is a shame is that people really believe that somehow Nintendo has "abandoned" them. They've been outputing their games just like before at a faster and better rate(ex. SMG,NSMB,SMG2 > SMS) but apparently they are too blind to see that and always equate Wii=casual=crap, regardless of actual game quality. The games are there, go and look for them. If the "hardcores" were just about asking for good games then why did the userbase from NES till now always shrink? The hardcore manchildren really are irrelevant, and its better for Nintendo to have chased another market as well as retain their basic philosophy which they've been doing since the start of this generation.

Nothing's changed, they arent just producing good games now, they've been making good games since the start of this gen.

Im tired now, so Ill respond back tommorow when/if you respond back.

Insetick

Smash Apprentice
I've put more thought into what the "core" is/was. I think a good way to define it would be to see what the majority of customers were by the games they bought. From this, the core was people who liked first-party games from the Mario and Zelda franchises. Nintendo makes Mario/Zelda/etc. games at a faster rate than ever before (SMG1+2 = 2 Mario games on ONE console?! Metroid didn't even exist on N64. I think a second Zelda adventure is being made :O )

If you like to think of the core as players who like first-party games, Nintendo has improved.

I think a lot of the issues we have over Nintendo neglecting us is actually Nintendo neglecting "me." I was frustrated with Nintendo making so many casual games and not enough games that I liked. Looking back, I think the problem I had with Nintendo was actually me.

I spent 8 years getting 120 stars in Mario64. I never got beat the Water temple in OOT. I finished SMG and Twilight Princess in a month, though. Did Nintendo make their games less difficult? It's hard to say (pun intended). I blamed the Wii for making games too easy, but it might just be me getting smarter and more excited to finish a game. Looking at the facts, Nintendo makes their great 1st party games faster than ever. Maybe I'm just impatient?

I recommend you do some introspection. What kind of gamer were you back in the "old days"? How have you changed? Look at the facts and determine for yourself: have Nintendo's games changed? This should give you a better idea of how to address this issue. Personally, I'm trying to take my games slower to appreciate them.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
The thing is, why would Nintendo listen to this when there current marketing strategy is working.
My favourite system is also N64 and I agree that Nintendo has become way too gimmicky. But it is because it gets the company money. So unless we can somehow kill or incapacitate every Casual Gamer so Nintendo can only provide for us Core Gamers, tough love.

benaji261!

Smash Ace
To me it seems like the wii and the DS are just trying new things with what they have. Those 'imagine' games make me gag though. It totally looks like milking to me. Who walks in WANTING to IMAGINE how it's like to be a babysitter and play a game about it? Nintendo is trying to tackle every possible aspect they could ever put into a video game, and at the same time trying to keep nostalgic titles in play(Metroid, Mario, Zelda, etc.). Whether we like it or not, Nintendo makes a killing in the market their way. Same sorta goes for DS and the DSi thing.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Even if you are just talking about Wii Fit and Plus, is it not true they both contain many fitness exercises disguised as minigames? Im pretty sure its not all yoga and thats why people come back to them, because they provide a level of fun instead of straight exercise which crosses demographic boundaries.
It's not all yoga, but it's still a fitness tool. I've played the game myself, this isn't just my judgment before actually touching the game. Just because it offers some fun doesn't mean it's necessarily a game.

If you make claims like buying 20 games and only liking a few, you only have yourself to blame. You're telling me you didnt buy and enjoy games like Galaxy, Punchout or MKWii? Obviously its not the library thats the problem.
If you dont want to sell it, put it away and stop lamenting over your buyer's remorse.
I love how you selectively read. Maybe you'll actually see it this time.

I DON'T HAVE THAT MUCH OF A PROBLEM WITH THE WII ANYMORE. I STILL HAVE SOME ENJOYMENT WITH IT. JUST NOT ANYWHERE NEAR AS MUCH AS WITH THE GAMECUBE.

(I did, however, get Galaxy and find it mediocre. *Waits to be called a troll/making it up because I WANT to hate Nintendo, since I'm not allowed to have my own opinion*)

And no, I don't intend to just shut up about my opinion because you don't like it.

=D

Did you really just equate Nintendo's games with dog crap? Really?
People don't understand exaggeration for the sake of effect anymore, for crying out loud. It's an extreme example to prove my point. No, Nintendo's games aren't dog crap.

Stop taking things so literally. I even said "if", it was clearly supposed to be theoretical.

As you can plainly see its evident that Nintendo has been releasing many of their titles as sequels to existing core franchises, so if you're gonna call them dog crap then you're calling the whole series(going back to the GCN and further) dog crap since they offer an evolution on similar experiences.
Still not calling them dog crap.

And that argument is really quite horrible. Sonic Unleashed came from the same series as Sonic Adventure 2. I would actually come close to equating Unleashed with dog crap, whereas Sonic Adventure 2 is one of my favorite games.

You are essentially saying that if you like one game in a series, you will always like every other game in the series too. That makes no sense at all whatsoever.

Im not really going to go into this point because its really your opinion and I cant change you're buying habits. Passing over one of the most unique and satisfying experiences because its a Wii ___ title? Smh.
I don't find it to be a unique and satisfying experience, I find it to be an extra $20 (from the Motion+) that's going to lie around with Wii Sports and Wii Play as a game I haven't played in months, potentially even a year at this point.

I'm not passing over it because it's a Wii ___ title, I'm passing over it because it's a minigame collection which I'll get little enjoyment from.

You're right, though, it makes sense to blow my money on games I'll take away little enjoyment from.

The market dictates whats expensive compared to what an item is valued at. Apparently its worth it for those people.
Okay, I'm sorry, people are stupid. No, I'm not saying people who buy those games are stupid, people in general are stupid. Please don't tell me that what's worth it to the general population means that me not thinking it's worth it is close-minded or cheap.

That last paragraph didnt really pertain to you but whatever. What I think is a shame is that people really believe that somehow Nintendo has "abandoned" them. They've been outputing their games just like before at a faster and better rate(ex. SMG,NSMB,SMG2 > SMS)
I liked Super Mario Sunshine far more than SMG. NSMBWii it's hard to decide since they're fairly different.

Please don't act as if Nintendo has been producing objectively better games.

but apparently they are too blind to see that and always equate Wii=casual=crap, regardless of actual game quality.
You're right.

No one legitimately disagrees with you, they're just too blind to see the truth that is your opinion.

Elitists piss me off.

The games are there, go and look for them. If the "hardcores" were just about asking for good games then why did the userbase from NES till now always shrink? The hardcore manchildren really are irrelevant, and its better for Nintendo to have chased another market as well as retain their basic philosophy which they've been doing since the start of this generation.
This definitely wasn't already said in the topic, people definitely haven't already agreed that it's true, and finalark and I definitely didn't point out that it's irrelevant to the point "Has Nintendo been neglecting its core gamers".

Nothing's changed, they arent just producing good games now, they've been making good games since the start of this gen.
No they haven't.

The Wii's library for the first two years sucked hard. It's improving now, but it hasn't been good since the beginning. Even as someone who doesn't have much of a problem with Nintendo anymore I'll definitely say that's true.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
I think you should compare the first party output of wii in the first 2 years to gamecube's.

I really don't think there is much difference (at least not in europe). The problem has been 3rd party support and well... that was kind of predictable.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I think you should compare the first party output of wii in the first 2 years to gamecube's.

I really don't think there is much difference (at least not in europe). The problem has been 3rd party support and well... that was kind of predictable.
There's really not much point in any sort of comparisons like that, because quality is the issue here, not quantity, and you cannot factually decide how good a game is.

You can't determine any sort of definitive problem or lack thereof, it's merely that some people are disappointed with Nintendo and others aren't.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Funnily enough, I think the gamecube era was nintendo's biggest dip in quality. And I've owned and played every single one of their home consoles.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Funnily enough, I think the gamecube era was nintendo's biggest dip in quality. And I've owned and played every single one of their home consoles.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here.
As have I. It's just a matter of tastes and which games you like best.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I dunno... I guess I just have an open mind about games and I think that outside of making their games a bit too easy, I like where the Wii headed with video games.

inb4umustbeacasualgamer

because I play too many video games to be a "casual"
but not enough to be "hardcore"

can't I just be a gamer anymore?
Well ok, and I was ticked off last night so I apologize if I came across as rude. I just really am disappointed in the lack of quality titles this generation when compared to the Gamecube generation. And I am loathe to cite jogging sims as evidence of innovation.

This topic asks an unfair questions, also.

Each console that a game company releases has 2 audiences. Newcomers, and Retros. The Newcomers, get it because they're either at the right age to get into gaming, or because a specific Title they just HAVE to have comes out on it exclusively (or first, for the impatient) or because (and this is the most rare reason) they've never tried this particular console company's systems before, and want to see what it's like. The Retro, gets it because they loved what they had previously, and now that there aren't any more games coming out for what they have, they get the new console to get the new games.

This is automatically a dangerous business model. Because each time you release a console, you have to please your Retro audience, and you have to suck in your New audience.

Add to that, you're competing with 1 or 2 other console companies who are all doing the same thing.

Add to that the software companies who are all deciding which games will come out, and to which consoles, and when.

This complex model is a nightmare to traverse if you're on the business end. The result?

Nintendo who has always pioneered their invention by being unique in design, and in game titles, did it again. They got Newcomers to come with Wii Title games. They appeased Retro owners by following up SOME titles.

They did a lot worse in the Retro department, by sticking to Re-releases with Wii-controls.

Retros perceive this as lack of innovation, lack of caring. Couldn't be further from the truth. It is in fact, a simple technical fallacy that Nintendo cannot recuperate until Next gen. Had they kept up with their competition in terms of processor speed, graphics card, online, etc etc, we wouldn't have nearly the outcry we get from "core" Nintendo fans.

So basically, we have to suck it up and deal. Hope for the best. If the next Nintendo Console comes out and it isn't competitive enough in the Technical aspects, us "core" or "Retro" gamers will be left even further behind.

As for the New-retros, the folks that bought Wii's as their first console, they won't fee slighted. Nintendo can make Wii Fit sequels until Kingdom come and it wouldn't require anything more advanced console-wise.

I have faith. I knew before Wii was even announced that Gamecube's sequel wasn't going to be an outright sequel, but an enhancement. And that's all the Wii is. An enhanced Gamecube. NEXT gen, it'll be a proper launch. If it's not, I will probably switch back to Sony, lol.

D

Deleted member

For those who use entire sentences in caps, please stop. You're making yourself look like your yelling and maybe flaming another person, which is an infraction of the rules.

However, I will admit that this discussion has gone very well.

finalark

SNORLAX
I used to be really upset at Nintendo, I've kind of gotten over that though. Although I do believe that Nintendo has gotten somewhat lazy, I'd give examples but this IGN article (I KNOW IT'S FROM IGN, GET OVER IT) more or less sums it up for me. Note that this is from december of last year.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/105/1054621p1.html

I'll also use the words "Mario Galaxy 2" again as an example. I mean come on! They didn't even update the graphics or change the freakin' interface! And I'm going to laugh if the game is actually shorter than the original. $50 expantion pack, or as you kids call it these days, "DLC."

Anyway, I will admit that more "core" titles are comming to the Wii in twenty ten. I know of a survival horror game with an anime influence called Fragile Dreams that's comming out. Although the game doesn't interest me, I'm sure that all of you anime fans who enjoy the ocasional scare will probably like it. And while I wasn't a fan of the ones I played on the PSP, Monster Hunter Tri is pretty much the closest we will ever get to Phantasy Star Online 2. And I will be honest, Red Steel 2 does look pretty manly. Although I was kind of shakey on Sin and Punishment for the N64, I will admit that the sequel does look pretty cool. And Other M... well, let's just say that if Team Ninja doesn't screw this up then I'll be a-okay with it.

Hm... most of the games I listed aren't even Nintendo games....

finalark

SNORLAX
He does make some valid points though, who are Sony and Microsofts mascots?
... so yeah, I just watched the vid you linked.

... he made the same point that I did in one of my blogs once.

I feel like a bad hater.

And now I want Sega back, again.

EDIT: AND HE ALSO USED COMICS! ONE OF MY FAVORATE THINGS! **** YOU OVERTHINKER!!!!!

D

Deleted member

I am a subscriber to that person. He's done an excellent job with his Game Ovethinker series. This is one of my favorites volume.

As a matter of fact, look back into the beginning of this thread and you'll see how he might have influenced this blog entry.

@finalark: Reggie Fils-Aime said the game will have 90% new contents and be more challenging then the original.

@Purple Mantis: With Sony, I think their mascot is Sackboy from LittleBigPlanet, providing that it actually brought Sony some money in. But who will be Microsoft's gaming industry once Master Cheif get put in the back burner indefindenty?

finalark

SNORLAX
I am a subscriber to that person. He's done an excellent job with his Game Ovethinker series. This is one of my favorites volume.

As a matter of fact, look back into the beginning of this thread and you'll see how he might have influenced this blog entry.
I still don't like the fact that he's a hard-core Nintendo fanboy who has a pretty oviously dislike of both Microsoft and Sony. That and the previously mentioned "games I grew up with are better" thing. Although I will admit that he does make some really **** good points...

Try reading "Overthinking the Overthinker" sometime, while some of the earlier ones were silly he get serious and brings up some honest-to-god good counterpoints in the later ones.

The Bino

Smash Lord
In order to end the debate to see which console had more titles in general from Nintendo, I'll reveil the list of games released in North America:

Nintendo Gamecube:
1. Luigi's Mansion
2. Pikmin
3. Super Smash Bros. Melee
4. Wave Race: Blue Storm
5. Animal Crossing
6. Disney's Magical Mirror Starring Mickey Mouse
7. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
8. Mario Party 4
9. Metroid Prime
10. NBA Courtside 2002
11. Star Fox Adventures
12. Super Mario Sunshine
13. 1080° Avalanche
14. F-Zero GX
15. Kirby Air Ride
16. The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition
17. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest
18. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
19. Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
20. Mario Kart: Double Dash‼
21. Mario Party 5
22. Pokémon Channel
23. Wario World
24. Custom Robo
25. Donkey Konga
26. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
27. Mario Party 6
28. Mario Power Tennis
29. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
30. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
31. Pikmin 2
32. Pokémon Box: Ruby and Sapphire
33. Pokémon Colosseum
34. WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Party Game$
35. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
36. Battalion Wars
37. Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix
38. Donkey Konga 2
39. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
40. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
41. Geist
42. Mario Party 7
43. Mario Superstar Baseball
44. Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness
45. Star Fox: Assault
46. Super Mario Strikers
47. Baten Kaitos Origins
48. Chibi-Robo!
49. Odama
50. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Nintendo Wii:
1. The Legend of Zelda: Twlight Princess (Originally GC Game that was also put on Wii to help sell the system)
2. Wii Sports
3. Excite Truck
4. Wii Play
5. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
6. Super Mario Galaxy 2
7. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
8. WarioWare: Smooth Moves
9. Battalion Wars 2
10. Link's Crossbow Training
11. Super Paper Mario
12. Mario Party 8
13. Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
14. Pokemon Battle Revolution
15. Mario Strikers Charged!
16. Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
17. Endless Ocean
18. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
19. Mario Kart Wii
20. Wii Fit
21. Wario Land: The Shake Dimension
22. Wii Music
23. Animal Crossing: City Folk
24. Mario Super Sluggers
25. Punch-Out!!
26. Wii Sports Resort
27. Metroid Prime: Trilogy (took great games from GC and added Wiimote crap to it and didn't improve the games at all)
28. Wii Fit Plus
29. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
30. Excitebots: Trick Racing
31. Endless Ocean 2: Adventures of the Deep
32. Metroid: Other M
33, Super Mario Galaxy 2
34. Xenoblade
35. The Last Story
36. The Legend of Zelda 2010
37. FlingSmash
38. Line Attack Heroes
39. Pikimin 3
40. Dr. Mario Online Rx
41. My Pokémon Ranch
42. Magnetica Twist
43. Art Style: ORBIENT
44. Art Style: CUBELLO
45. Art Style: ROTOHEX

46. MaBoShi: The Three Shape Arcade
47. Lonpos
48. Bonsai Barber

49. Doc Louis's Punch-Out!!
50. Rock N’ Roll Climber
51. PictureBook Games: Pop-Up Pursuit

52. Excitebike: World Rally
53. Pokemon Rumble
54. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Go for It! Light Adventure Squad
55. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Keep Going! Blazing Adventure Squad
56. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Let´s Go! Stormy Adventure Squad

It's unbelieveable that the Wii has more titles then the Nintendo Gamecube and yet it's not even over yet.

@urdailywater: Regarding the second last paragraph, not everyone who is an teenager who works has the same benefit. I am one of those people.

When I get a job, I will have to use half of the money I earn to my grandparents because they desperately need it. And three-fourth of the rest will have to go to more important stuffs like food, school supplies etc. It'll be awhile before my Wii collection starts to pick up and I start playing my Wii more often.

Why don't I play the Wii much? It's not because of the lack of games, it's that my family doesn't have the money to buy Wii games outside of special occasions. Hopefully, a job can change that.
Dark Red Color = Games that were moreso aimed at the casual gamers and didn't appease the "Core" gamer

Red Color = Shovelware and/or casual games, which again doesn't appease the "Core" gamer

Yellow Color = The game was a GC Game that had been put on the Wii to help sell units

Green Color = Looks like shovelware and/or casual games that will release in the future that again doesn't please the "Core" gamer

The thread is about the "Core" gamers though, and loooking at all the Wii games that's majority of crap as i have highlighted the games that you have listed. Number of games doesn't mean the games are better, the GC had more quality games on it then the Wii has which is why alot of Wii Owners are upset with the fact that Nintendo isn't giving games for their "Core" audience that has kept them in business for all these years

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
For those who use entire sentences in caps, please stop. You're making yourself look like your yelling and maybe flaming another person, which is an infraction of the rules.
So is mini-modding. ^^;

Does anyone see TP for the gamecube around anymore? I want to play that version of the game. It seemed like the controls were a little sloppy as far as movement in the wii version. Really that was only complaint. Up wasn't awlays up and I couldn't walk or posistion myself how I wanted sometimes. And it was just because of unresponsiveness on the nunchucks's part.

And well the (lack of) difficulty was kinda dissapointing as well. Mario Galaxy was easier but I think part of the reason it's easy (this applies to Zelda somewhat as well) to some of us is that we've played through two other Mario titles already. We already know the exact timing for all his special moves that aren't game specific and exactly how and when to use them. And because Nintendo made the imput window bigger, they're easier to do as well. The level design was by no means horrible imo.

I do agree though that the difficulty and quality in general seems on a decline since the wii came out, even on DS titles. When the DS was a lone next gen handheld, do you know what we got? Mario 64, a kick *** demo for Metroid Prime Hunters, and Mario Kart..those are the biggest ones that stand out to me since I got those ones. Those were the kinds of games coming out. It didn't seem to me until after the wii started going that we started to see so many of these mini-game/none game games.

I don't care about them either way as long as the main games get the attention they deserve when they're being developed..

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
Other M also has me a little skeptical...I fully intend to buy it on release date, if only for the story, but some of the gameplay features seem...stupid, especially as a large Metroid fan.
I saw the videos on the Nintendo Channel, and I am sure you did too. It seems to me that we will be getting both Metroid Prime controls and a 3rd-Person Adventure in one.

How are the gameplay features stupid if you get to do execution style moves on a Space Pirate, the kind of guys you want to defeat?

I don't understand.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
So I'm not reading the entire thread, or even the last few posts for that matter. I'm just going to give my thoughts.

No.

Why? Well, unless you are an absolute Nintendo purist who refuses to play games unless you have it on the original system, the VC is the perfect way to enjoy many of Nintendo's older titles. Plus, many of the Wii's games are actually fun. The only reason most people think the Wii's library is garbage is, well, because it is. It's the NES all over again: many crappy titles, but enough gems scattered around to keep a gamer satisfied. And I'm not talking about "hardcore" or "casual" gamers either. I'm strictly talking about Nintendo's core audience.

I'm not going to lie. I'm not a huge Mario guy. I prefer to get my Nintendo fix from Kirby, Pokemon, and Smash. But I will say New Super Mario Bros. Wii was one of the most fun games I've ever played. Plus we have a wonderful lineup of games for the first half of the year alone.

But beyond that, I think many of you seem to be forgetting about the DS. The DS is an amazing gaming system, especially considering that it is a handheld. Many great games have been released on the DS, and I'll say that it is a very satisfying system as a whole.

So no, I don't think they've been neglecting us. I will agree that they've been making us wait longer for the big releases, but with the next titles in Nintendo's flagship franchises coming out this year(SMG2, HG/SS, LOZ, and possibly Kirby[yeah right]), we really don't have much to complain about.

finalark

SNORLAX
Smash Fan, you said that you posted you blog on two other sites. Would you mind linking them? I'm interested in seeing what the rest of the internet has to say....

D

Deleted member

Smash Fan, you said that you posted you blog on two other sites. Would you mind linking them? I'm interested in seeing what the rest of the internet has to say....
I said I only posted one thread on IGN and the 2nd one was done by the Nintendo Life staffs on May, 2009. Give me a few minutes and I'll post them here.

Edit: The thread I made at IGN: http://boards.ign.com/nintendo_wii_lobby/b8270/189720568/p1

The one done by the Nintendo Life staffs: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2009/05/round_table_is_nintendo_neglecting_the_hardcore_gamer (Comments are below and you'll see my original opinion on the situation under the name Super Smash Bros. Fan1999.)

finalark

SNORLAX
I said I only posted one thread on IGN and the 2nd one was done by the Nintendo Life staffs on May, 2009. Give me a few minutes and I'll post them here.
I hope you don't report me to the staffs!

Also, Smash Fan 1999... were you born in that year? Because if that's the case, then I suddenly feel kind of old...

D

Deleted member

I hope you don't report me to the staffs!

Also, Smash Fan 1999... were you born in that year? Because if that's the case, then I suddenly feel kind of old...
I would never report you to the staffs. I'm not that kind of person who betrays other people.

No I was not born in 1999. If I was then my grammer would be a lot worse then what you see from here, not to mention I would have typed out such a long post in the beginning of the thread.

I was born in April 20, 1994.

finalark

SNORLAX
I would never report you to the staffs. I'm not that kind of person who betrays other people.
Actually that's kind of an inside joke on these boards from a few years ago....

No I was not born in 1999. If I was then my grammer would be a lot worse then what you see from here, not to mention I would have typed out such a long post in the beginning of the thread.
Good point.

I was born in April 20, 1994.
And you got into gaming in 1999, right? What was your first console? I'm just kind of curious.

Top Bottom