• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashing Entries Volume 1: Has Nintendo been neglecting it's core gamers?

D

Deleted member

Link to original post: [drupal=3135]Has Nintendo been neglecting it's core gamers?[/drupal]

Now here is something you don't see being asked every day. Despite the regular ***** fit over Nintendo that we see almost daily, we're actually surprised that nobody built up the courage to ask all of you this one simple question. Until now.

If you are a member of this site and are reading this, once you're done reading this, I want you to answer this question. Why? Because I want something from you. I want your answers. I want the general core gamers opinion on Nintendo. I want it as soon as possible. And I encourage you to spread this question all over the Internet. Nintendo needs to see this. Yes, I'm asking you to let Nintendo know of this. Tell them to look all over the Internet for this question. Prehaps then, Nintendo will listen to you and as many of your demands as possible.

Here is the question I want each and every one of you to ask?

Do you, the person who is on the Internet reading this question, think that Nintendo is responsible for neglecting the needs of the core gamers? If so, how severely have Nintendo negelected the core gamers?

It would be no fun if I left it as that. So lets get my opinion out of the way first.

Everyone and their dog knows of Nintendo. You know, the company that saved gaming, made so many groundbreaking titles, put gaming into the third-dimension, and what's this? Motion controls? Why would I want to wave my arms over the screen when I could sit on my butt and use traditional controllers, you know, like what's on the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360?

Because motion controls is a revolution. Something that has never been done before. Okay, I will admit that we did have the Power Glove, but that was terrible and the world wasn't ready for it. And beside, it probably didn't do too well. But, the Nintendo Wii knocked our socks off like no other things did. This was something unexpected, something that put core gamers in a rage, something to attract casual gamers.

Casuals, casuals, casuals. Why should those fowl beings be allowed in here? They don't come for Mario, Zelda, and Metroid, they come for exercise equipments, gimmicks, and nothing more. But look at it this way. Casual gamers are actually saving the industry. After all, we were casual gamers, right? Because before we first touched that controlled and played that wonderful game that got us into gaming, we had no knowledge of the gaming world. It was obscure to us, a blur, something that didn't exist. But, we decided to take that controller and experiment with it and we were hooked. Soon, we were playing that game pratically religiously and wanted more. We craved more of video games. We wanted to see how awesome that form of entertainment it really was.

Movies? Yeah, you'll watch that movie a few times before you put it down for good. Musics? Good for MP3 players, but it's not something you want to listen to day and night. Books? Probably nobody consider it as a favorite activity.

But gaming to us is like a sibiling, a cousin, a teacher even. It's something we be part of, an adventure that lasts for hundreads of hours. If anyone could have been the best teacher of gaming, that would be Nintendo.

Gaming would be nowhere without Nintendo. Face it, it would be dead, or at least extremely niche. But Nintendo made a character name Mario, and not only did he save the Princess, he also saved video games.

Give credit when it's due. Everyone here should at least give credit to Nintendo for actually saving the video game industry and propelling it to the the marketing extragavanza it is today. I mean you got all of these franchises and genres, there is such a variety, it's almost not possible to not find one game that you like nowadays.

And now, I answer what you people have mentally begged for, my opinion on the situation.

Do I think Nintendo has been neglecting the core audience from the NES, SNES, and N64? We could answer this right now, but we need to go a little indepth first.

I had an Nintendo 64, which I consider to be my all-time favorite video game system. It got me into gaming in December, 1999 with Super Mario 64, an excellent game. 3D was new back then and we were getting out of the two dimension we all knew and loved. I got an Playstation 2 on December, 2001. Mine broked in June, 2003. I got another one and that broked on June, 2005. But I had an Nintendo 64, so I could play some of my favorite games. Sadly, it's doom would follow. On November, 2007, I got an report from my dad that he accidently broked the system.

I was devastated. I couldn't believe how this god of a system could get killed. I loved that thing so much, it quite litterally influenced me. It was a sad day in my gaming career.

Fast forward to today and I have a Wii. And in my opinion, the Wii is an great systems, Hundreads of great games, plus a ton of potentially awesome gaming coming as well such as Monster Hunter Tri, Super Mario Galaxy 2, the list goes on. Nintendo still retains the spirit of it's past generations. If I had to rate the company, I'd give them an well-deserved nine out of ten.

I do wish they didn't neglect the Virtual Console or there franchises thought.

So overall, I'm going to have to say yes, but very mildly to the point that they still care.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
yeah the last time they cared was like back in 2007 or at least before the wii. because they crapped all over everyones' face with the wii WTF I don't want to always use the wii mote and I love the GC controller you should be able to use it for all your wii games.

WTF? I just read this WTf is all I have to say the wii was a fail the even the name is really bad. The controller are a cool idea but it's a pain in the A** in most games and pointless as F*** think about why are you playing a bowling game where have to move your arm and stuff when you could go outside and do it? gaming is for you to things you can't like murder random people, be pichu and caught on fire, and etc.

finalark

SNORLAX
Are we seriously STILL talking about this?

Yes they've been neglectiing us, more Wii Noun and less F-Zero it seems for Nintendo.

Plus they've gotten really lazy, Mario Galaxy 2 = $50 expantion pack.

EDIT: Actually, I decided to read what you said. I wrote something similar once, let me see if I can find it....

D

Deleted member

I liked Nintendo better before they made the Wii.
Strangely, I agree. Although I did like Nintendo more now then when during the Gamecube era. It was underwhelming in my opinion. Then again, I didn't try too many Gamecube games when I had one.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
Nintendo is neglecting their core audience thats been through them all the years, but heres the thing, were growing up/grown up. I can probably say that the majority of us who played Nintendo 64 (yes i agree, that system is godly) were elementary school kids. I was one. Thats the system that introduced me to gaming.

Thats the thing. Its 10 years later since the N64. Times have changed. Nintendo still wants to attract new gamers like you and me but the latest/coolest thing around isnt a standard control. Its a whole, new, revolution control called motion controls.

Little/elementary kids love that kind of stuff. Thats why Nintendo is making all these motion control games for their Wii system now. They know it will sell cause kids love that stuff. Its really all business/economics. Nintendo will keep making these motion control gimmick games as long as they know people will buy them. Its all about making a profit.

Now for us core gamers, Nintendo is trying. Like for instance, we've gotton games like Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Bros Galazy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl and the latest New Super Mario Bros. Wii. They are giving us the so called hardcore titles so we would think "oh sweet!, Mario or Metroid, Awesome!!) but they are still trying to incorporate motion gaming in them. I think i can say for the majority of us thats its just not the same.

These titles that made Nintendo are still better off with just a standard controller. Although Metroid Prime 3 did have legit motion controls, I would have prefered a standard controller.

So to sum things up, its like a yes and no. Yes cause the hardcore titles have the new gimmack and seem easier these days and no cause just like they did to you and me 10 years ago, the yare trying to introduce more people to the wonders of gaming.

finalark

SNORLAX
So yeah, Finalark's colected thoughts on Nintendo right now:

Perhaps I've misjudged the Wii... <-- In which I talk about how the Wii is the best way to get into gaming

Nintendo Has hit a brick wall <-- In which I comment on how Nintendo is running out of ideas

What Nitendo should do <-- What it says on the tin

And that's pretty much the major ones. Skim those if you want to know my two cents on the current state of Nintendo right now.

And welcome to the user blogs, I hope you enjoy your debates.

D

Deleted member

Are we seriously STILL talking about this?

Yeah, we still are. I brought this up because I'm going to be sending each and every comments to Nintendo once this thread starts to die down. They need to know about this. I want to send this to Nintendo before E3 2010 comes.

EDIT: Actually, I decided to read what you said. I wrote something similar once, let me see if I can find it....
Never mind, you already brought it up. I'll start reading your posts. They look interesting.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I think they've just got "distracted" more or less. Eh. I don't follow sales or anything like that, but they obviously realized they had something great when they released games such as Nintendogs and Brain Age. You can see the beginnings of their appeal to casual gamers around that time, with the whole "Touch Generations"thing.

But I have to say I personally haven't been disappointed yet. In fact, I want a lot of the upcoming Nintendo games/have bought, already got 2 out of the way. [HG/SS] Although gotta say, I don't like the look of SMG2 and won't get that anytime soon.

But maybe it's because I play the hell out of a games and never get bored of old ones, so I'm not starving for more games directed at core gamers.

D

Deleted member

So yeah, Finalark's colected thoughts on Nintendo right now:

Perhaps I've misjudged the Wii... <-- In which I talk about how the Wii is the best way to get into gaming

Nintendo Has hit a brick wall <-- In which I comment on how Nintendo is running out of ideas

What Nitendo should do <-- What it says on the tin

And that's pretty much the major ones. Skim those if you want to know my two cents on the current state of Nintendo right now.

And welcome to the user blogs, I hope you enjoy your debates.
Thank you very much for bringing these blogs post up. I posted in the latter two. Your articles are really good, I have to admit.

I'll be sure to enjoy my debate around here, because I'll probably get a lot of these. BTW, I also posted this on IGN and Nintendo Life Staff members made an article regarding the situation. I just couldn't find an topic similar to this that was started by one person, so that's why I made this thread.

Thanks to all who contribute.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Yeah they have because they were coming up short in competition 2 generations in a row with them.

Get over it.

finalark

SNORLAX
Nintendo's been behind ever since the Nintendo 64 days. When the N64 rolled around, Sega and Sony where using disks while Nintendo was still using cartigies. In the Gamecube days, they hardly used their attachment to go online while Sony and Microsoft had a ton of games for online play. Sony and Microsoft were also using DvDs then while Nintendo was using mini-disks. And in the Wii days, they have online play that we had last gen, plus they're only now using DvD while Sony is using Blue-Ray and Microsoft is using HD DvDs.

Just throwing that out there.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Yeah but they're selling like hotcakes and haven't even done a price cut yet.

The profit margins on the Wii must be obscene.

D

Deleted member

Nintendo's been behind ever since the Nintendo 64 days. When the N64 rolled around, Sega and Sony where using disks while Nintendo was still using cartigies. In the Gamecube days, they hardly used their attachment to go online while Sony and Microsoft had a ton of games for online play. Sony and Microsoft were also using DvDs then while Nintendo was using mini-disks. And in the Wii days, they have online play that we had last gen, plus they're only now using DvD while Sony is using Blue-Ray and Microsoft is using HD DvDs.

Just throwing that out there.
One thing. I thought the Wii didn't support DVD at all, which I agree, really sucks.

Nintendo also tend to be behind on stuff as well, I'll give you that, but there are a few things that Microsoft and Sony are behind in, the obvious one being motion controls.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
I'm not sure why people are saying "BLARG NINTENDO IS ABANDONING US" when the only real problem is a lack of proper 3rd Party support. (Something they suffered through the last 2 generations)

In comparison to the N64 and GC era, they're pumping out a LOT more core titles based on Pre-established Nintendo franchises. The only real thing I want them to do is to start throwing money at more 3rd party developers for more exclusives. (Which they already seem to be doing with Samurai Warriors 3, and maybe Tatsunoko vs Capcom)

Oh, and there's only like, 4 Wii ____ titles. And they aren't even bad games. Of course, that's just me.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
People, look. Believe it or not, the Wii is INCREDIBLY sucessful. You think they care whether or not you like it? When the other 98% of the general population that aren't hardcore gamers will eat it all up? THATS the problem.

It's not that they're neglecting us on purpose (there's no doubt that they are) but its simple economics. They have to appeal to the masses to maintain profit. There's an astronomical amount fewer of us Nintendo core gamers then there are xbox or ps3 core gamers. Simply put: We won't generate profit. We just won't.

Not to say thats not Nintendo's fault in the first place, but since the gamecube we knew this was coming. Nintendo's blatant kick-in-the-nuts to "current gen gaming" by not having online in a generation that thrived in it, and now not having nearly as many features while the other consoles do, has been Nintendo's key to their success. It keeps us coming back for more each time they come out with something new.

And now Nintendo has dug itself into a metaphorical hole they don't mind being in. Sure, they may have lost a ton of core gamers. And in fact, the only reason I believe they even throw in any competitive games, or rather, "not-casual games," is because they know they'll need to depend on us once Microsoft and Sony realize the market that is the casual gamer. But for now, with the Wii doing better then any console ever has in the history of gaming, they're **** fine stabbing us in the back. And not only are they fine with it, they'll make money on it.

Rhodechill

Smash Rookie
I'll just make this short and simple.

They need to stop making every series directed towards the children and the casual (ZELDA SHOULD BE HARDCOARRRRR). That's what Wii Fit and Hasbro Party Games is for. They also need to focus on a great online experience (eg. no lag, not anonymous, voice chat, etc).

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The only real thing I want them to do is to start throwing money at more 3rd party developers for more exclusives. (Which they already seem to be doing with Samurai Warriors 3, and maybe Tatsunoko vs Capcom)
We've gotten exclusives from third parties, they're just specifically made different from the ones the 360/PS3 get (such as Soul Calibur Legends as opposed to Soul Calibur IV) specifically for the Wii and end up sucking hard.

Oh, and there's only like, 4 Wii ____ titles. And they aren't even bad games. Of course, that's just me.
Wii Play
Wii Sports
Wii Sports Resort
Wii Music
Wii Fit
Wii Fit Plus

And Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus are hardly even games.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
I've been very happy with my wii.

But then I knew what to expect when I bought it. This year looks to be a very good year for any ''hardcore'' gamer, so maybe you guys will be happier in a few months?

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Plus they've gotten really lazy, Mario Galaxy 2 = $50 expantion pack.
Actually, Mario Galaxy 2 is what the fans wanted -- so technically they're reaching out to the "core" audience with it. I'm quite excited for it as are a lot of other people.

There are a lot of game series that do this anyways.

If you want to look at real laziness -- look at the graphics for Sonic the Hedgehog classic collection coming out on the DS.

Either way though, this year should be a decent year for Nintendo for core gamers at least. I've been happy with my Wii for a while, and do not really plan on switching over to any other consoles that are there currently (Besides maybe getting a better PC). I'm not exactly hardcore or anything, and Nintendo has given me no reason too anyways.

Wii Sports
I really enjoyed this game D:
I can't wait to get my hands on Resort. That swordfighting looks great.

I'm not sure why people are saying "BLARG NINTENDO IS ABANDONING US" when the only real problem is a lack of proper 3rd Party support. (Something they suffered through the last 2 generations)
Also, I'd like to comment on this. Nintendo actually has been getting quite a bit of third party support -- but that's probably going to change soon mainly because third party core companies aren't getting appreciated as much as they would on other consoles. Either they'll abandon the Wii completely or just start platforming.

Look out for Monster Hunter 3 though, everyone needs to buy that and prove them wrong.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I skimmed your post.

Yes they have been neglecting them, mostly because there's a thousand times more casual gamers that want shallow stuff and easy to understand.
Everyone above 35 wanted a DS with Brain Training, 12 year old girls want to play menagerie on a DS etc. There's more of those than core gamers.

We set a nice base for Nintendo, but they really don't need loyal fans now to keep them running.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Actually, Mario Galaxy 2 is what the fans wanted -- so technically they're reaching out to the "core" audience with it. I'm quite excited for it as are a lot of other people.
Agreed. Laziness is leaving out parts of a game and then adding it as DLC (Assassin's creed 2). Having a game that adds upon an old one is NOT laziness.

I don't get how people can say SMG2 is an expansion pack and not mention the countless other franchises that upgrade on the older games. I guess Super Mario World is an expansion pack of SMB3 then. I guess the majority of 2D sonic games are also expansion packs.

Anyway, lets just say they were expansion packs, how does that equal laziness? Its not like there sitting down and just adding a bunch of random stages and calling it a day. The quality of the game is still amazing and its something fans actually wanted. I guess there lazy for listening now....

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
We've gotten exclusives from third parties, they're just specifically made different from the ones the 360/PS3 get (such as Soul Calibur Legends as opposed to Soul Calibur IV) specifically for the Wii and end up sucking hard.
This.

I mean seriously. Just reading this makes me puke.

2 crappy rail shooters and a pile of REHASHES.

then at the end of the article: "Resident Evil 5 hits retail tomorrow on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3."

Pricks.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
People, look. Believe it or not, the Wii is INCREDIBLY sucessful. You think they care whether or not you like it? When the other 98% of the general population that aren't hardcore gamers will eat it all up? THATS the problem.

It's not that they're neglecting us on purpose (there's no doubt that they are) but its simple economics. They have to appeal to the masses to maintain profit. There's an astronomical amount fewer of us Nintendo core gamers then there are xbox or ps3 core gamers. Simply put: We won't generate profit. We just won't.

Not to say thats not Nintendo's fault in the first place, but since the gamecube we knew this was coming. Nintendo's blatant kick-in-the-nuts to "current gen gaming" by not having online in a generation that thrived in it, and now not having nearly as many features while the other consoles do, has been Nintendo's key to their success. It keeps us coming back for more each time they come out with something new.

And now Nintendo has dug itself into a metaphorical hole they don't mind being in. Sure, they may have lost a ton of core gamers. And in fact, the only reason I believe they even throw in any competitive games, or rather, "not-casual games," is because they know they'll need to depend on us once Microsoft and Sony realize the market that is the casual gamer. But for now, with the Wii doing better then any console ever has in the history of gaming, they're **** fine stabbing us in the back. And not only are they fine with it, they'll make money on it.
exactly!!! its all economics. the profit isnt in the core gamers anymore, its about about the casuals because theyre buying all the games at a huge rate. Believe it or not, the Wii is the most successful system in history. Although its fire has died down a little, theyre still selling like mad. And the majority of the buyers are casual gamers.

Although this year does look like a legit year for core gamers (at least me anyways) with Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid Other M (HYPE!!!) and possibly that Zelda Wii title thats in the making.

Insetick

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo changed its "core." The Xbox and PS2 took control of the market for hardcore gamers b/c the Gamecube was awful. Nintendo, rather than struggling to take back hardcore gamers, has instead marketed towards casual players. Nintendo is doing very well, so I doubt it will change much.

If you're still looking for hardcore games, it's much easier to just get an xbox, ps3, or better PC than to convince Nintendo to change its ways :laugh:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
GCN was the best system all around that generation. Smoother graphics, incredible sound replication, and a super effective (har) controller design and port scheme.

There's some things they did wrong that generation:

Like Trying to do 2 Zelda games. WW was enough. There was even the library pack w/LoZ, AoL, OoT, MM, and and WW demo, and artwork, that's an awesome disc. TP should have been Wii only. If they'd waited to release TP until the Wii was launched, they might have actually had enough time to make it better (not that I dislike TP, but enough ppl do dislike it that obviously something was wrong with it, and perhaps it was something that a little more time could fix, then again, maybe it was just fundamentally screwed altogether, who knows).

They scored big with RE4.

They scored with games like Viewtiful Joe.

Ok so I'm a fanboy, get at me. GC forever! >.>

EDIT

Of course a lot of games were great, but sales were terrible compared to the PS2 and were in fact lower than N64 sales by about 10 million units.
PS2 was out longer...

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
With little to no online capabilities, the GC stood as a lone system compare to PS2 and Xbox for people that loves online games. >.<

Insetick

Smash Apprentice
This shouldn't turn into a debate about why the GC was good/bad. All that matters is that Nintendo has changed its "core."

If you want hardcore games, don't expect Nintendo to cater to you because we don't matter very much these days. Nintendo seems to come out with a great game every few months, while the PC, XBox, and PS3 are constantly getting hits. If you want hardcore games and have money to spare, invest outside of Nintendo.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Someone should make a timeline list of all the games nintendo has made for the wii and compare it to the gamecube's.

It's really not that bad. Especially after the next few months.

Top Bottom