• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashing Entries Volume 1: Has Nintendo been neglecting it's core gamers?

D

Deleted member

We finally get a debate going. Sweet.

I knew it was a matter of time before this debate started to take off. I think I'll join in by responding to some of you.

@tirkaro: This can mainly be blamed due to Nintendo focusing mostly on the casual gamers, which I don't mind that much. However, given that Nintendo does not announce two more of the Wii series for this year, this looks to be for the first time since 2006 to be a year mostly for the core gamers.

Also, correction, there are about six titles in the Wii series.

@Rhodechill: Nintendo is starting to put in more emphasy towards online. Some of there games don't lag and Wii Speak is being supported in a few games, the most evident being the upcoming Monster Hunter Tri.

@SuperBowser: Depending on age, it doesn't sound too likely. But oh well, at least there behavior in here is already proven superior to what we see on sites like IGN. I also agree that 2010 will be an awesome year for the Wii.

Oh and I'll do it if nobody will. Prehaps then we'll see which games had more core titles. The Gamecube or Wii?

@urdailywater: I agree, everyone needs to buy Monster Hunter Tri. I know I will, especially given that the game comes out on my birthday (April 20th), so I should have an excellent birthday. Too bad I can't preorder stuff, thought. :urg:

@Insetick: While I thought the Nintendo Gamecube was disappointing, it wasn't awful. And regarding your last statement, I disagree. There is an possiblity of me getting an Playsatation 3, but for now, the Nintendo Wii is currently keeping me satisfied.

finalark

SNORLAX
But sales don't lie.
In this case, the Sims must be ten times better than Knights of the Old Republic, Bioshock and Half-Life (assuming that your talking about sales = quality)

Of course a lot of games were great, but sales were terrible compared to the PS2 and were in fact lower than N64 sales by about 10 million units.
If you're talking about quaility, then sales mean nothing.

Anyway, this aside, in terms of sales the GC was a disaster. So finding a new target audiance does make sense, otherwise Nintendo might have ended up like Sega...

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
Nintendo changed its "core." The Xbox and PS2 took control of the market for hardcore gamers b/c the Gamecube was awful. Nintendo, rather than struggling to take back hardcore gamers, has instead marketed towards casual players. Nintendo is doing very well, so I doubt it will change much.

If you're still looking for hardcore games, it's much easier to just get an xbox, ps3, or better PC than to convince Nintendo to change its ways :laugh:
This makes a lot of sense, not gonna lie. Putting it from that view, the hardcore gamers moved from the GC to the Ps2 and Xbox because they offered more "hardcore" games and online play.

The GC was a great system in terms of 1st party games. In sales, it sucked.

Talwind

Smash Cadet
Can anyone even give me a straight definition of "hardcore" game? It seems to me like a term made up by manchildren that want to feel better about themselves when a "casual" game outsells their precious Halo or whatever. Wii Sports Resort is intuitive, innovating, deeper and just plain more fun than a game like Dante's Inferno yet the former is casual and title and the latter is "hardcore"? I think its a shame that the industry tries to focus on just hitting the 18-35 male demographic with "Mature" titles all the time.

Nintendo has manage to bring back a whole largely ignored segment to gaming and now it means they're ignoring the core? All they've been doing is adding new games to their repertoire and they've only changed in how they market themselves.

If them ignoring the core means I can get Super Mario Galaxy NSMBWii and SMG2 over the mediocre Mario Sunshine from last generation than they should continue ignoring the core.

D

Deleted member

Anyway, this aside, in terms of sales the GC was a disaster. So finding a new target audiance does make sense, otherwise Nintendo might have ended up like Sega...
The Nintendo Gamecube was not a disater in sales. Sure it didn't sell amazingly, but it was enough for Nintendo to profit off of it. However, I do agree that they might have become like Sega if they haven't made the Wii.

Just imagine an medicore Super Mario Galaxy.

I think we need to get back on topic. This is not about the Nintendo Gamecube, this is a discussion if Nintendo has neglected it's core auidience.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
If you want hardcore games, don't expect Nintendo to cater to you because we don't matter very much these days. Nintendo seems to come out with a great game every few months, while the PC, XBox, and PS3 are constantly getting hits. If you want hardcore games and have money to spare, invest outside of Nintendo.
To be fair, the OP asks if Nintendo's neglecting core games, not whether or not it's reasonable for them to. I've been in about 2395492535 of these debates before and everyone admits that it's smart economically to cater to casuals, so I'm not entirely sure why it still comes up every time.

I also think it's unfair to act as if you can just go over to 360/PS3 for games if you're not satisfied with the Wii, because there's another demographic largely targeted on them, and I can only play so many first-person shooters before I want to gouge my eyes out. The PS3 is less guilty of this than the 360, but it's still somewhat of an issue.

I would say it's silly to have only a Wii this generation if you can afford to get another (or any generation, having only one system; you miss out on a lot of good games, especially the general 3rd party titles which rarely end up on Nintendo's systems), but it's also silly to act as if you can just go to another system and get the same experience.

However, I've been pissed off at Nintendo for so long I kind of don't know if I'm still pissed off or not. I love my DS, and the Wii isn't a COMPLETE disappointment, but it's got a large number of issues; and I would play it far less if it weren't for Homebrew. Other M also has me a little skeptical...I fully intend to buy it on release date, if only for the story, but some of the gameplay features seem...stupid, especially as a large Metroid fan.

(As an off-topic, just to note, I have the most games of any system for GameCube [it's somewhere around 35, it's probably gone up since I last checked] and there are very few games that I don't love. I'm still not sure if it's my favorite system or not, but it's certainly close -- and I have a LOT of systems. It may have had crappy sales, but it'll always be amazing to me.)

finalark

SNORLAX
Just imagine an medicore Super Mario Galaxy.
/facepalm

I was saying that they would have died off like Sega, not that they'd make mediocre games. Sega has made a ton of great games, it's just that everyone is too busying complaining about Sonic to notice.

Anyway, Nintendo does seem more interested in keeping the attention of casuals over core gamers. Although they have made a number of efforts to keep with the core audiance, Metroid Prime 3, Twilight Princess and the very casual-unfrinedly Radiant Dawn come to mind.

It's also worth noticing that thrid party companies are also trying to keep the Wii up with the "hardcore" times these days. Grasshopper's No More Heroes, the up comming Monster Hunter Tri and numerous games that Sega was nice enough to green light are some good examples.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Sucumbio said:
If they'd waited to release TP until the Wii was launched, they might have actually had enough time to make it better (not that I dislike TP, but enough ppl do dislike it that obviously something was wrong with it, and perhaps it was something that a little more time could fix, then again, maybe it was just fundamentally screwed altogether, who knows).

Actually, a lot of people really liked the game, and many fans saw it as the true successor to OOT.

At least, that's the general reaction I see from a lot of fansites and critics. More time might have made it less worth it though, because I think there was already a long wait from it's first revelation to the release date.

I'm not too sure, though, because I really didn't know about the games existence until I got a Wii and started browsing the Wii section. You could imagine me stepping into this generation in the year 2008, I was very surprised to see all that I missed.

I agree with the GC comment. I didn't even own many games on the system, but even then, I was in love with the system as much as a man could be. Long live the Cube.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
I never really liked the definition of hardcore gamer - the market is a range of shades of grey, not simply hardcore or casual.

For example, I've probably played games longer than some people on these forums have been alive for. I know more about videogames and their history than 95% of people. I post on a videogame forum. But around half the titles I buy are casual/party games and I purchase maybe one single player game every 18 months (sometimes less) because I no longer have the time for them.

I think I count as a hardcore gamer simply by default. But my purchasing habits might tell a different story and some people's definitions of a hardcore gamer wouldn't include me.

Nintendo's strategy isn't aimed at casuals or harcore gamers. They simply want their games to appeal to as many demographics as is feasible (without causing a detriment to the game, in their opinion). This has always been their design philosophy and it always will be. Sometimes people might not like the decisions they make, but I think it's false to blame the wii for that. It's simply how they have always been.

edit: hmm, i quoted someone who mentioned hardcore gamers but that part got deleted. o well.

edit 2: yes, i did mean to quote Talwind and I meant to agree with him. Funny how you post right after me :D

Talwind

Smash Cadet
Can anyone even give me a straight definition of "hardcore" game? It seems to me like a term made up by manchildren that want to feel better about themselves when a "casual" game outsells their precious Halo or whatever. Wii Sports Resort is intuitive, innovating, deeper and just plain more fun than a game like Dante's Inferno yet the former is casual and title and the latter is "hardcore"? I think its a shame that the industry tries to focus on just hitting the 18-35 male demographic with "Mature" titles all the time.

Nintendo has manage to bring back a whole largely ignored segment to gaming and now it means they're ignoring the core? All they've been doing is adding new games to their repertoire and they've only changed in how they market themselves.

If them ignoring the core means I can get Super Mario Galaxy NSMBWii and SMG2 over the mediocre Mario Sunshine from last generation than they should continue ignoring the core.
Quoting cause people are ignoring my post ;_;

Edit: Poster above has the right idea

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I can tell you the definition of a hardcore gamer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-yYRejhne0

<3 this kid.

I had more to say but I hit post by accident. X.x

Honestly the term hardcore is plain stupid. As long as you're having fun with a video game, then you've got the basic idea of it as a whole. People who argue that" hardcore" games are better than "casual" games in general are more annoying than Twilight fans.

Talwind I think SuperBowser meant to quote you? Or that's what it seems like.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Movies? Yeah, you'll watch that movie a few times before you put it down for good. Musics? Good for MP3 players, but it's not something you want to listen to day and night. Books? Probably nobody consider it as a favorite activity.
I love reading books. :mad:

Nintendo is a company. Companies try to make money. They don't HAVE to care about the "core gamers" at all, so be happy that you're getting what you're getting.

The main problem with Nintendo is lack of third-party support, in my opinion. You can't rely on only ONE publisher/developer for all your games on a system. This is why a Playstation 3 is, to me, better than a Wii.

On a side note, this "Casual" vs "Hardcore" debate is getting old. Why can't I like all kinds of games instead of being forced into getting only one kind of game? This is pure stereotyping at worst, stupidity at best.

Edit: Good point Talwind.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I love reading books. :mad:

Nintendo is a company. Companies try to make money. They don't HAVE to care about the "core gamers" at all, so be happy that you're getting what you're getting.
Or you know, people could actually realize that other consoles exist for a reason. There's absolutely no reason why anybody who is disappointed with their Wii should still be playing it, buying games for it, etc. Nintendo isn't forcing it down your throat, and if you honestly play the system while coming to complain on internet forums about how bad it is, then you're doing something wrong. There are alternatives, and fanboyism shouldn't determine how you spend your money.
It's a form of entertainment, not a lifestyle or anything like that.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Honestly the term hardcore is plain stupid. As long as you're having fun with a video game, then you've got the basic idea of it as a whole. People who argue that" hardcore" games are better than "casual" games in general are more annoying than Twilight fans.
Hardcore games generally have more depth, more difficulty, and the like.

That doesn't necessarily make them better, those are just features that most gamers tend to prefer in games. The Atari 2600 is built off of casual games, and I can still enjoy it, I just won't find myself playing each game for very long at a time.

On a side note, this "Casual" vs "Hardcore" debate is getting old. Why can't I like all kinds of games instead of being forced into getting only one kind of game? This is pure stereotyping at worst, stupidity at best.
There's a difference between core/casual games and core/casual gamers. Casual gamers can like core games and core gamers can like casual games, it's just a general term. People complain about this ad nauseam in this debate, about how much they hate the term, how there ought to be a definition, how "hardcore" is a poorly chosen term because it has negative connotations.

No one's said anything in the topic about how each type of gamer can only like a certain type of game, so I'm not entirely sure why you're getting offended over it...people complain about these terms, but I'd love to see people try to debate and ignore these division and terms and try to find another way to explain what you're talking about.

I loathe stereotypes and people telling you what to like, but I don't see where your complaint is coming from here.

There's a "casual" and "hardcore" for just about any hobby imaginable, really. There are people who read every so often and people who read on a daily basis. There are people who like some types of anime and some who love everything about anime. There are people who may own video game systems, but they won't play them on a regular basis, and there are people like me who play video games on a regular basis, own a metric ton of games and consoles, own all sorts of video game paraphernalia, listen to video game music, etc.

It's not any sort of put-down, it's just a matter of distinction between people who spend more time on a hobby than others, and as a result may expect more from the hobby. Someone who reads regularly may not be as satisfied with a short, simple read as those who read occasionally, just as a hardcore gamer may not be as satisfied with something like Wii Fit as they are with a game jam-packed with gameplay.

People have always gotten so offended by these terms and I'm not really sure why.

Or you know, people could actually realize that other consoles exist for a reason. There's absolutely no reason why anybody who is disappointed with their Wii should still be playing it, buying games for it, etc. Nintendo isn't forcing it down your throat, and if you honestly play the system while coming to complain on internet forums about how bad it is, then you're doing something wrong. There are alternatives, and fanboyism shouldn't determine how you spend your money.
It's a form of entertainment, not a lifestyle or anything like that.
I thought I already explained that someone who likes what Nintendo has previously offered won't necessarily enjoy what the PS3 and the 360 have to offer. It's not as simple as just moving to another console.

If you're buying games without looking into them and are still complaining about them, yes, you're an idiot; but if you're honestly saying "WHY ARE YOU STILL PLAYING THE SYSTEM YOU SPENT $250 ON AND THE GAMES YOU SPENT ~$50 EACH ON!?" you're nuts. There's nothing wrong with playing something you've already got, and not everyone can dump hundreds of dollars down the drain and spend another couple hundred to get another system.

I don't think anyone should own only one system in a generation if they've got the option otherwise, but not everyone has the option otherwise.

Not to mention that you don't have to be playing the Wii to be complaining about it.

Sometimes the "Shut the hell up be happy with what you have or find an alternative" attitude of people in these debates pisses me off.

D

Deleted member

This explains why the Nintendo fanbase is notrious for being picky and unpleasable with Nintendo products, although I haven't seen too much of this in this forum, as everyone here at least gave legimate reasons for saying yes on the situation.

The main problem with Nintendo is lack of third-party support, in my opinion. You can't rely on only ONE publisher/developer for all your games on a system. This is why a Playstation 3 is, to me, better than a Wii.

This. The Nintendo 64 was a great system, but looked how well it did when third-party support bombed?
My response to the person is above.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I think people get offended because of when they are used offensively. It's not because of the terms themselves.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Can I just ask why we're not entitled to want games that we enjoy? Everyone's talking about how we should be happy with what we have. They don't HAVE to care about us, but we don't HAVE to be happy with what we've got either.

I'm not even angry at Nintendo all that much anymore and yet still people've got me pissed off at people in an argument against them. People get so mad that people have the nerve to express any sort of opinion against something.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Just a cheap justification to buy another Wii remote.

Wii Sports
Glorified Tech Demo

Wii Sports Resort
Glorified Motion+ tech demo

Wii Music
Pretty much the only real offenders.

Wii Fit
Wii Fit Plus
are not bad games whatsoever. In fact, they're actually really good games. Oh, but it's not Mario or Zelda, so it obviously sucks.

Finny-baby said:
.... no it wasn't....
See, this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.
During the N64 and the Gamecube's lifecycle, everyone was like "BLARG, YOU AREN'T GIVING US ENOUGH GAMES, AND THEY'RE ALL TOO KIDDY, BLARG." (By the way, "kiddy" was pretty much the pre-Wii mirror of "casual." They weren't bad games, nor were they short of challenge. They simply didn't have blood spraying everywhere, so everyone thought it was too childish. I want you to think about that for a second.)

But right as soon as their lifecycles ended, everyone is now all "Yo Wii, I'm real happy for y'all, and imma let you finish, but the Gamecube was one of the best consoles OF ALL TIME! OF ALL TIME!"
It's pretty much laughable that the Wii is actually pumping out MUCH more core titles with the Wii then they ever were with the GC and N64, yet people still think they abandoned the core gamer. Just wait. I'm pretty much 100% certain that as soon as the Wii's lifecycle ends, everyone will go on about how it was the greatest console OF ALL TIME, and how much the current one sucks.

Not saying the N64 or Gamecube were bad, but if you honestly think they did anything better than what the Wii is doing now, you're just acting delusional.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
There's much more variation in gamers than defining them by two simple groups. That probably annoys people. More so when someone then uses these terms to apply blanket statements about gamers.

^^i agree. i still really doubt that nintendo's output for its normal games has been all too different from past generations.

D

Deleted member

Gamecube Vs. Wii

In order to end the debate to see which console had more titles in general from Nintendo, I'll reveil the list of games released in North America:

Nintendo Gamecube:
1. Luigi's Mansion
2. Pikmin
3. Super Smash Bros. Melee
4. Wave Race: Blue Storm
5. Animal Crossing
6. Disney's Magical Mirror Starring Mickey Mouse
7. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
8. Mario Party 4
9. Metroid Prime
10. NBA Courtside 2002
11. Star Fox Adventures
12. Super Mario Sunshine
13. 1080° Avalanche
14. F-Zero GX
15. Kirby Air Ride
16. The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition
17. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest
18. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
19. Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
20. Mario Kart: Double Dash‼
21. Mario Party 5
22. Pokémon Channel
23. Wario World
24. Custom Robo
25. Donkey Konga
26. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
27. Mario Party 6
28. Mario Power Tennis
29. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
30. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
31. Pikmin 2
32. Pokémon Box: Ruby and Sapphire
33. Pokémon Colosseum
34. WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Party Game$
35. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
36. Battalion Wars
37. Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix
38. Donkey Konga 2
39. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
40. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
41. Geist
42. Mario Party 7
43. Mario Superstar Baseball
44. Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness
45. Star Fox: Assault
46. Super Mario Strikers
47. Baten Kaitos Origins
48. Chibi-Robo!
49. Odama
50. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Nintendo Wii:
1. The Legend of Zelda: Twlight Princess
2. Wii Sports
3. Excite Truck
4. Wii Play
5. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
6. Super Mario Galaxy 2
7. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
8. WarioWare: Smooth Moves
9. Battalion Wars 2
10. Link's Crossbow Training
11. Super Paper Mario
12. Mario Party 8
13. Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
14. Pokemon Battle Revolution
15. Mario Strikers Charged!
16. Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
17. Endless Ocean
18. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
19. Mario Kart Wii
20. Wii Fit
21. Wario Land: The Shake Dimension
22. Wii Music
23. Animal Crossing: City Folk
24. Mario Super Sluggers
25. Punch-Out!!
26. Wii Sports Resort
27. Metroid Prime: Trilogy
28. Wii Fit Plus
29. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
30. Excitebots: Trick Racing
31. Endless Ocean 2: Adventures of the Deep
32. Metroid: Other M
33, Super Mario Galaxy 2
34. Xenoblade
35. The Last Story
36. The Legend of Zelda 2010
37. FlingSmash
38. Line Attack Heroes
39. Pikimin 3
40. Dr. Mario Online Rx
41. My Pokémon Ranch
42. Magnetica Twist
43. Art Style: ORBIENT
44. Art Style: CUBELLO
45. Art Style: ROTOHEX
46. MaBoShi: The Three Shape Arcade
47. Lonpos
48. Bonsai Barber
49. Doc Louis's Punch-Out!!
50. Rock N’ Roll Climber
51. PictureBook Games: Pop-Up Pursuit
52. Excitebike: World Rally
53. Pokemon Rumble
54. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Go for It! Light Adventure Squad
55. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Keep Going! Blazing Adventure Squad
56. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Let´s Go! Stormy Adventure Squad

It's unbelieveable that the Wii has more titles then the Nintendo Gamecube and yet it's not even over yet.

@urdailywater: Regarding the second last paragraph, not everyone who is an teenager who works has the same benefit. I am one of those people.

When I get a job, I will have to use half of the money I earn to my grandparents because they desperately need it. And three-fourth of the rest will have to go to more important stuffs like food, school supplies etc. It'll be awhile before my Wii collection starts to pick up and I start playing my Wii more often.

Why don't I play the Wii much? It's not because of the lack of games, it's that my family doesn't have the money to buy Wii games outside of special occasions. Hopefully, a job can change that.

finalark

SNORLAX
It's unbelieveable that the Wii has more titles then the Nintendo Gamecube and yet it's not even over yet.
You left off a ton of games for the Cube, and the reason why the Wii has so many games is because a majority of them are poorly made third party casual games.

@Takiro: For the record, I was all liek "OMGZ GAMKUBE IS SEXY!!!!!" long before the Wii was even thought of.

I love how the question the thread asks is if Nintendo is neglecting core gamers, and everyone instantly responds with "Nintendo is making a lot of money right now."

Talwind

Smash Cadet
You left off a ton of games for the Cube, and the reason why the Wii has so many games is because a majority of them are poorly made third party casual games.

@Takiro: For the record, I was all liek "OMGZ GAMKUBE IS SEXY!!!!!" long before the Wii was even thought of.

I love how the question the thread asks is if Nintendo is neglecting core gamers, and everyone instantly responds with "Nintendo is making a lot of money right now."
In order to end the debate to see which console had more titles in general from Nintendo, I'll reveil the list of games released in North America:
lol wut. You best be trolling.

finalark

SNORLAX
^Oh hey, misread that part. My bad!

I still stand by what I said about poorly made casual games, only now they're first party.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that some of the games on both of those lists are not Nintendo games....

tirkaro

Smash Champion
@Takiro: For the record, I was all liek "OMGZ GAMKUBE IS SEXY!!!!!"
@Takiro: For the record,

@Super Smash Bros. Fan-

You missed Sin and Punishment 2. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT.
Also, Baten Kaitos isn't by nintendo. At least, it wasn't back then.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
The Wii (Noun) titles, little more than golrified tech demos, for starters. There's a lot of games on there that I haven't heard of, thus have not played. Perhaps I jumped the gun on this one....
Other then wii sports have you actually PLAYED any of them (just wondering here)? The only that I generally think is a complete waste is Wii Music. The others ones are just great ways to allow people to buy a peripheral and not have to buy another game right away. It doesn't really matter which point of view you want to look at it. If its just a tech demo then I don't see why people are upset that nintendo is releasing them. Its just a tech demo after all.

I agree that if Nintendo started releasing the WIi ____ as stand alone games that it would be a complete waste of money (hence why I consider wii music a waste) but at this point for a packaged in game there not that bad.

finalark

SNORLAX
Other then wii sports have you actually PLAYED any of them (just wondering here)?
Yes. The only ones I haven't played is Wii Music and Wii Fit Plus. I will be honest, though. Wii Fit was actually pretty well designed if you're into working out and the like. But other than that... well, I'd have to say that they all were tech demos. I don 't think that it's the fact that they're making them that annoys me, I think it's the fact that they're making tons and tons of money off of them.

Talwind

Smash Cadet
None of the Wii titles are poorly made. Regardless if you consider them tech demos or not, that doesn't stop them from being engaging and fun to people. Wii Sports Resort is far from being a tech demo than any of the other Wii titles. It actually has quite a bit of depth and even a rewarding achievement system. I dont see why anyone should be mad that people buy into a product that is well-made and fun. Theres a reason most third party knockoffs don't sell anywhere as close to the Wii games, they just aren't as good.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
"Has Nintendo been neglecting it's core gamers?"

Short, riddled answer: F-Zero could never be on a Wii. I would actually be very, very surprised if an F-Zero game would show up on a Wii... that's just not casual gamer material.

edit: Wii Fit Plus has a game on there that is essentially the future of gaming... let me see if I can find a video of it... if I remember correctly, it's called "Obstacle Course."

edit 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFnNtmkxDj0
tell me that aint the future of gaming...

D

Deleted member

Could be because I got it off of Wikipedia?

I agree, those are not really valid responses.

@Super Smash Bros. Fan-

You missed Sin and Punishment 2. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT.
Also, Baten Kaitos isn't by nintendo. At least, it wasn't back then.[/QUOTE]

Sorry about those mistake there.

"Has Nintendo been neglecting it's core gamers?"

Short, riddled answer: F-Zero could never be on a Wii. I would actually be very, very surprised if an F-Zero game would show up on a Wii... that's just not casual gamer material.

That's a yes, right?

I doubt it is. If anything, it'll only be relagated to the Wii series, at least the good ones.
All responses above.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I really hope not. If I wanted to move more than my thumbs while playing a VIDEO GAME then I'd go to a Paint Ball course, or the Gym, or a Tennis Court, etc etc etc etc.

The Wii Title games are crap. I hate them all. If they're not cheap java games that have better versions on Yahoo Games, then they're some game that requires all this ridiculous gyration and motion and movement, swinging my arms around like a ****ing monkey. RUNNING. Great. I mean what, was Nintendo afraid of being sued by parents because their fat *** kids couldn't put the controller down for an hour and jog the block? Christ almighty.

The Wii-mote is good for ONE reason alone. Ergonomics. As far as motion/sensor input and control, who gives a flying F, I ain't playing Duck Hunt. This isn't Crusin' the USA. I don't need all that jank.

Just give me MGS4, RE5, a few others... and we good. All the Wii Fits in the world won't make up for their absence.

D

Deleted member

I think Nintendo should just balance out the "casual" games and the "core" games.
They're currently trying to do that. Hopefully by next gen, they'll have it all sort this and we won't have to bring up the "Has Nintendo neglected the core gamers" discussions again.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
are not bad games whatsoever. In fact, they're actually really good games. Oh, but it's not Mario or Zelda, so it obviously sucks.
...Have you been talking to GreenKirby? I thought that was his catchphrase...

In any case, they are actually pretty poor games. As a product in general they may be good, but as a game they're really...not games.

I have a problem with Wii Fit/Wii Fit Plus, but it has nothing to do with what franchise they're from. This argument is particularly stupid considering there are hundreds of games (literally) that I have which aren't Mario and Zelda that I like. I've been playing The World Ends With You for about two months straight now, but I suppose that's just a Zelda game in disguise.

See, this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.
During the N64 and the Gamecube's lifecycle, everyone was like "BLARG, YOU AREN'T GIVING US ENOUGH GAMES, AND THEY'RE ALL TOO KIDDY, BLARG." (By the way, "kiddy" was pretty much the pre-Wii mirror of "casual." They weren't bad games, nor were they short of challenge. They simply didn't have blood spraying everywhere, so everyone thought it was too childish. I want you to think about that for a second.)

But right as soon as their lifecycles ended, everyone is now all "Yo Wii, I'm real happy for y'all, and imma let you finish, but the Gamecube was one of the best consoles OF ALL TIME! OF ALL TIME!"
It's pretty much laughable that the Wii is actually pumping out MUCH more core titles with the Wii then they ever were with the GC and N64, yet people still think they abandoned the core gamer. Just wait. I'm pretty much 100% certain that as soon as the Wii's lifecycle ends, everyone will go on about how it was the greatest console OF ALL TIME, and how much the current one sucks.

Not saying the N64 or Gamecube were bad, but if you honestly think they did anything better than what the Wii is doing now, you're just acting delusional.
The problem is that you're equating the

"I hate the Wii"

crowd with the

"OMG LIEK NOT ENUFF BLUD GC SUX"

crowd.

They're not one and the same. I was a large supporter of getting an N64 even when my sisters wanted to get a PlayStation instead, and to this day am quite glad that I got an N64 at the time (although I have a PlayStation now).

During the GameCube era, I cannot count how many times I vehemently defended the system and to this day hold that it is the best game of that generation, even though everyone is such a large supporter of the PS2.

I own ~20 Wii games, few of which I actually like.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to prove.

The Wii could have any 10 of its games, while the GameCube has only one game, Melee.

I'd rather take that GameCube.

Other then wii sports have you actually PLAYED any of them (just wondering here)? The only that I generally think is a complete waste is Wii Music. The others ones are just great ways to allow people to buy a peripheral and not have to buy another game right away. It doesn't really matter which point of view you want to look at it. If its just a tech demo then I don't see why people are upset that nintendo is releasing them. Its just a tech demo after all.

I agree that if Nintendo started releasing the WIi ____ as stand alone games that it would be a complete waste of money (hence why I consider wii music a waste) but at this point for a packaged in game there not that bad.
They may be good values with the peripheral, but that doesn't change the quality of the game itself. They may be nice in general for a peripheral, but having a peripheral doesn't automatically mean the game can be crap and it doesn't matter. You could get WiiSpeak packaged with AC:CF, but the game wasn't just a minigame collection because of it. Of course, the effort for City Folk was lazy in its own way, but not like that.

Also, the Balance Board is nearly useless so far unless you want to play Wii Fit...and $90 is a lot of money for a tech demo/balance board that you can't do anything with.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I dunno... I guess I just have an open mind about games and I think that outside of making their games a bit too easy, I like where the Wii headed with video games.

inb4umustbeacasualgamer

because I play too many video games to be a "casual"
but not enough to be "hardcore"

can't I just be a gamer anymore?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I dunno... I guess I just have an open mind about games and I think that outside of making their games a bit too easy, I like where the Wii headed with video games.

inb4umustbeacasualgamer

because I play too many video games to be a "casual"
but not enough to be "hardcore"

can't I just be a gamer anymore?
No one cares about classifying you as a gamer...no one's going to kill themselves trying to classify you. I don't know if that's based on past experience, but I've never seen people do that here.

It's just useful in this kind of argument. It's the most convenient way to describe Nintendo's new direction.

Top Bottom