• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashers' Reunion : Melee Grande - RESULTS THREAD IS UP NOW! (Road to Apex)

Tonb3rry

Smash Ace
was a great tournament, I had fun playing everyone and overall it was well run
livestream went great too ^^

sadly norway is expensive, and the travel was a nightmare

Because we stayed to live stream the grand finals second set we weren't able to get to the airport without paying for a taxi because we'd have to wait for another train 1 hour later -.-
So me and Jolteon had to use our winnings + the rest of our money and pay 1600kr (like £200 or nearly 200 Euros) for a taxi to get to the UK players back to the airport. Meaning we basically won nothing because of 15 mins extra livestream meaning we missed the train 5:30 train and the next train 8 mins before we arrived to oslo rygge :/ sigh Tonberry =( THE DAMN TRAVEL WORKS WERE STILL ON AND YOU SAID THE TRAINS WERE WORKING T___T

so we wasted
275kr x 6 on a train ticket each from the train station to oslo rygge
-> found out that train replacement bus service was going on still
-> found out we couldnt take the train from oslo s because it was in an hours time (missed by 8 mins..the time it took for grand finals to be over)
-> had to pay for a 1600kr taxi

SUCKS

I'll post shoutouts later, my first day of work starts in 5 hours :s gdnite guys

videos will be uploaded to youtube tomorrow =)
LOL @ The Norwegian train company. When I checked their page with time tables it said the other train would still go at xx:57 towards Oslo S. So I believed what it said, as I know for a fact that the train that goes xx:30 was still going. From Lillestrøm to Oslo S you'd just have to take a "bus for train", then I guess you could take a bus to Rygge from there.

I'm sorry this happened to you guys. This kinda shows that you never can trust Norwegian train companies and their damn time tables.

Tonb3rry

Smash Ace
Btw, Fuzzy, 275kr each to get back doesn't really mean that you and Jolteon had to pay all your prize money to get back, if all of you actually paid for the ticket. It sucks, though. :urg:

NamiNami

Smash Apprentice
Too bad Nedech vs Over didn't get recorded. It was such a hype set I was watching it live.

Anyway really nice tournament, very well organized and you did a lot of work to make it happen so thanks a lot Tonberry. Can't thank enough for the car rides basically everywhere.

I was amazed how well I did in both singles and teams. I'll do shoutouts later.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
it cost us 275 each for the train

it cost me and jolteon 1600 extra for the taxi for all the UK players

I'm gonna upload everything tonight when I get home..however I will pass out since ive been up for 48 hours cause of my new job >__<

stelzig

Smash Lord
As far as I can think of anything that didn't go well.. I cannot, I loved it.
It was a great tournament (though still not a fan of the stagelist :p), but I kinda think it went really slow. I guess the huge breaks between everything was due time for friendlies, expecting more players and wanting to actually keep schedule... But then even schedule wasn't really kept and several events started about two hours late. I think the only exception to this was the singles bracket yesterday, which was somewhat on time.
Worst part was easily the break between singles pools round 2 and teams bracket. Why a dinner break 5 hours after singles pools started was even put on the schedule (with nothing in between and teams bracket starting yet another 1 and a half hour later) is just beyond me.

But yeah, great tournament, just wish you could have speed things along just a little, there was no reason to save all of singles bracket for the final day, when we could in fact probably even have finished it all saturday. Also slight salt for having to leave before the finals here (watched GFs on stream at the airport), but I generally think there was just a little too much time wasted, especially when we were told that there wouldn't be time for any kind of sideevent at all except for some small 30-mins or so thing. That afaik, didn't happen either.

Edit: Would've been cool to have been notified about the closest ATM being 40 minutes away (by foot) before we got there as well. (fortunately we had a ****load of free time on saturday to get there, the weather was great, and we got some food and exercise ;P)

Tonb3rry

Smash Ace
Stelzig: I didn't have time to play a single friendly, only small break I took was at saturday to eat dinner at the hotel.

The first delay was due to registration time taking longer than expected. Other delays was due to preparations taking longer time than expected. Believe me, there were no time for breaks or friendlies.

stelzig

Smash Lord
I'm kinda curious what these delays were then. I know second round pools were made WAY before they started. What exactly did take you ~2hours to do before just announcing them? Surely designating TVs for each pool cannot take that long. I was curious about this during the tournament as well, because I do know that you were sitting by your computer and you did look kinda busy :)
I did realise the reason for the first delay, I just wanted to comment on the fact that despite seemingly going so far to avoid them, it didn't work out, and the tournament could have run much more efficiently. :)

Edit: My impression in the first place has taken your reputation for keeping schedule into account too. That is part of what confused me about such delays when the schedule was so extremely slow compared to other events.

I wasn't thinking about friendlies for you by the way, but for the people attending the event. Not that you/TOs don't deserve time for friendlies, of course you do. I was just thinking more in service-minded intentions than personal :p (I remember TSL4 kinda lacking in the amount of time for friendlies department)

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
the software I used is kinda gay and didnt have it :/ altho the vids look pretty smooth to me

total media converter is poo

I can see the slight jerks cause by it, but its bearable and still looks alright

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Skipping it because the one software you use can't do it and still calling the result "OK" isn't OK IMO.
And to not sound like a complete jerk, other than the lack of deinterlacing it actually looks OK. The "quality" isn't anything exciting, but you avoided all the fails that most people fall for.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Looks deinterlaced to me. Just merged the fields in 1 frame. The same issues I have when I record to divx. Goodluck fixing that though :p.
Mixing the fields isn't deinterlacing IMO =). Technically it gets rid of the interlacing, sure, but it just replaces one problem with another. It's the simplest and worst kind of deinterlacing that should never be used.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
I think the original files are mp4
Probably means the fields are blended in those files as well. That's gonna be hard to fix.

I guess AJP could talk you through the basics of Avysinth so you can try to up the quality on youtube. You'll have to re-encode, compress and mux the video and audio files then though. Dunno if you can fix that field blending. I recall AJP fixing some of my vids for BEAST2 but he doesn't have fond memory's of that I think.

Frozen Crow

Smash Rookie
Boah Armada/ Dr. Peepee your Match was so great <3. It,s have make fun to look your Matches cause i`m a Peach/Falco player <3 the Match was the best i have ever seen.

Jonas

Smash Champion
In the end most people just want to watch the damn match. I don't know what kind of recording wizardry you're doing, but your videos are always super awesome quality, which I've always appreciated. I've just never personally found it particularly necessary. To a trained eye most Melee vids on Youtube look like garbage, but most people think they look "fine."

Yeniths

East Midlands!
^^^

This...

People just want to watch the games and if the quality is 'fine' its good enough. As long as its not terrible but half ok its good.

I really do like AJPs videos which are amazing quality but for all the extra effort, for a lot of people its just not worth while...

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
^^^

This...

People just want to watch the games and if the quality is 'fine' its good enough. As long as its not terrible but half ok its good.

I really do like AJPs videos which are amazing quality but for all the extra effort, for a lot of people its just not worth while...
I know all that, and that's why it's just not worth the effort to become "just another recorder". I recorded because I enjoy editing videos and improving in everything I do, and I just used smash to get people to actually watch what I was doing.
There are other obstacles to why I can't record ATM, I still would if I could, but there is no motivation to fix those issues.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
AJP automated the process quite a bit though up to a point that getting the right balance between quality and filesize is more dependent on the time it would take your cpu to handle the conversion. This has been very helpfull for a lot of tournaments and if others showed more interest in his methods they might find it isn't really that complicated and could help them quite a bit, if only for the understanding they gain from it. In the end it's all about striking a right balance.

Props to Fuzzy for setting up a good stream though and taking the effort to record and upload ^^

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Didn't think about that, yeah it helps a lot. Of course I've worked quite a bit on making it automatic, and for every tournament I tweaked the part of the process that takes care of the quality of the video.

I try to never stop the recording, I just have it running for the whole duration of the tournament creating huge 12-hour videos. Then I pretty much just doubleclick a .bat file and it spits out videos that are cut, encoded, named (not players obviously, just characters and stage) and ready to be uploaded.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
um well

I had a good time this tourney and it was wonderful meeting and playing everyone!

shoutouts in the results thread(if there is one)

Edit: so it is

Top Bottom