• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashers are Too Good @ MvC3

NNID
Budget_Player
Can't trish set up for an easy unblockable reset or something like that?

Also, Strider on point seems iffy. He's got a great assist, low health, one of the most potent Xfactor setups, and two level 3 supers. What about that says "point character" to you?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
very few people do, but if you have an invincible super or a vertical super like Sphere flame, strider can get completely ROASTED with 0 options for you to stop it.

Trish set up. Do full combo into hard knockdown. Round harvest on their wakeup, hard tag to magneto, call wesker assist, trijump anything, you win.

Are senor sai videos? Only spiderman I've seen is evil rahsaan and he's fallen off...

:phone:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
No, you have to have an assist that hit low while you are jumping in on them

Or alternatively an assist that hits high while you dash in with crouching normals.

TL?

Smash Ace
very few people do, but if you have an invincible super or a vertical super like Sphere flame, strider can get completely ROASTED with 0 options for you to stop it.

Trish set up. Do full combo into hard knockdown. Round harvest on their wakeup, hard tag to magneto, call wesker assist, trijump anything, you win.

Are senor sai videos? Only spiderman I've seen is evil rahsaan and he's fallen off...

There are some spidermans in Chicago/IL. Watch UFGT8 this weekend and you'll probably see some spiderman.

Hella

Smash Apprentice
How does Magneto/Trish/Wesker sound as a team? I want a top tier team now x.x Phoenix wright/arthur has taken its toll
If you're going to use Magneto and Wesker, I'd switch their positions.

Characters that have air teleport with disruptor is so good. Magneto is still a great anchor and Wesker works just fine on point. You'll do way more work with the ambiguous teleport setups that Wesker and Magneto have than the typical places people put those characters.

Same goes for Wesker/Trish. Your team sounds like it definitely should have Wesker on point. You could come up with some really tricky stuff on incoming characters.

NNID
Budget_Player
If you're going to use Magneto and Wesker, I'd switch their positions.

Characters that have air teleport with disruptor is so good. Magneto is still a great anchor and Wesker works just fine on point. You'll do way more work with the ambiguous teleport setups that Wesker and Magneto have than the typical places people put those characters.

Same goes for Wesker/Trish. Your team sounds like it definitely should have Wesker on point. You could come up with some really tricky stuff on incoming characters.
But the whole point of having Wesker+Trish in there is that Trish can pin the opponent down and set up a forced unblockable... Which only works if Wesker is last. Plus, you know, dark Wesker...

It still might be useful to know since people like to snap Wesker in sometimes, though IDK why they would with Magneto around. Character is dangerous to keep alive lmfao.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
^ my favorite thing about the team is that it can be played in any order. want to snap in wesker? still got magnus ;) and trish aint half bad with level 3 either.

LMAO i started typing that before nameless wanderer posted and got sidetracked. with the up arrow and everything. it fits so much better now XD thanks!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
How do you guys pick your teams

I see a lot of people (including myself) arguing about the best way to pick a team.

Some people say pick the best characters, some people say pick the best team
Some people say pick a character you like and put the best assists and dhcs behind It.
I say just pick the 3 characters you like and gel with the most and make it work.

What do you guys think

I really believe that team synergy is the most important aspect of the game. How well your assists go with your on point character, Team being able to play in any order, Team gimmicks, all that. By that degree I usually choose a *main* character and back him/her up with 2 characters that work well. Usually the main guy is the point character, but can sometimes be 2nd.

Hella

Smash Apprentice
How do you guys pick your teams

I see a lot of people (including myself) arguing about the best way to pick a team.

Some people say pick the best characters, some people say pick the best team
Some people say pick a character you like and put the best assists and dhcs behind It.
I say just pick the 3 characters you like and gel with the most and make it work.

What do you guys think

TLDR version:
I'm somewhere in between the ideas of team synergy and picking characters you like being important parts of the game. My (Vanilla) team (that I still use in Ultimate for some reason) was built to safely give Hsien-Ko gold armor and raw tag She-Hulk with only 2 meters. The team was built around She-Hulk and Hsien-Ko, and even though Magneto is first, She-Hulk really acts as my point character.

-----

In Vanilla I ran Magneto(B)/Hsien-Ko(a)/She-Hulk(a), and while the order is questionable, I had many reasons for this particular setup.

Magneto was on point because 2 meters, no matter the circumstances, always netted free gold armor assist and free raw tag to She-Hulk. This is because magnetic shockwave dhc into gold armor gave you enough time to raw tag without being punished since shockwave is still out and pushing the opponent fullscreen, block or not.

If Magneto was able to land a hit, he could rom to the corner and dhc glitch into gold armor, in which case Hsien-Ko could typically just finish them off, and if she didn't, she could get a free raw tag to She-Hulk after the knockdown.

Magneto has B assist because it is able to extend She-Hulk's combos and makes for great resets if jabbed while still in the Hyper Gravitation. Also, if She-Hulk went for a normal air grab reset in the corner, she could throw out magneto's assist. If she got the throw, the opponent would fly right into the assist allowing her to simply land and crouching H into a new combo (which is stronger than relaunching with torpedo). If they tried to break the throw by mashing H, sometimes they'd still land right into the assist.

Hsien-Ko's assist gave me great opportunities to throw She-Hulk's overhead (forward H) into blockstrings. Also, since gold armor assist takes a while to actually hit someone, you can just command grab while Hsien-Ko starts her animation. I got a lot of grabs with those two.

Lastly, She-Hulk's command grabs gave you enough time to raw tag in Magneto and do whatever you wanted, with unscaled damage. I liked that, a lot.

Biggest team flaws:
- No assists or means of moving in for Magneto at the start of a match. This sucked, since if I couldn't open with a throw or a quick mixup, I'd usually end up cornering myself with disruptors hoping to hear the announcer say "Level 2!".
- My final character would almost always end up being Hsien-Ko. Wasn't entirely terrible, since people that don't know how to fight Hsien-Ko always wanna hit her when she has Gold Armor on. She can also set up decent scenarios by herself on incoming characters (heavy item throw plus low equals unblockable). If you're fighting anyone that's familiar with Hsien-Ko, though, you prolly lost. Easiest character to run away from in the game, I think.
- If the team order gets ****ed with at all, especially snapping in Hsien-Ko, things are gonna fall apart quickly.
- If Magneto dies before you gain 2 meters, **** gets a lot harder. Not a horrible scenario, though. If you get 2 meters with Hsien-Ko, you can always heavy gong to gold armor if the opponent is far from you then raw tag in She-Hulk behind the gong's cover, or if they decide to move in, you can gold armor dhc into she-hulk antiair grab once they jump.

Biggest team advantages:
- Magneto + Gold Armor gives Dark Phoenix (obviously a huge problem in Vanilla) very few options since she can't fireball camp in the air (magneto can just shockwave or gravity squeeze on reaction) or teleport (gold armor assist on reaction to free combo). In general, though, people getting locked down by gold armor gives magneto all kinds of time to move in and go high or low a few times.
- She-Hulk + Gold Armor gives one of the nastiest mixups on incoming opponents (excluding Sentinel, of course), in my opinion. Gold armor plus She-Hulk's antiair grab super will equal one of three things:
1. Opponent presses a button, they get air grabbed, free combo.
2. Opponent doesn't press a button, now they have to deal with the fact that She-Hulk is going to move past them and they're going to have to decide which way to block the gold armor assist which will usually lead to a free combo.
3. They end up not pressing a button and blocking the ambiguous crossup, however, She-Hulk has enough time to land safely (since the assist lasts so long) and apply pressure or go for a grab.

I, admittedly, also use this team in Ultimate. It isn't nearly as effective, as She-Hulk has been nerfed into the ground, and dhc glitch has been removed.

Also, She-Hulk + gold armor gets ****ing destroyed by Ghost Rider to the point of embarrassment.

Although, now Magneto has the option of pulling incoming characters straight down into the gold armor assist for free mixups.

In Vanilla, this team wasn't exactly solid, but if the 2 meter requirement is filled before Magneto dies, the team is pretty unstoppable. In Ultimate, this team kinda sucks, although it will counter the **** out of certain teams/individual characters. Still, it's way less effective and can be a pain to get things rolling. Also, in Ultimate, certain characters can now punish the raw tag after shockwave (Vergil).

NNID
Budget_Player
I really believe that team synergy is the most important aspect of the game.
This. If I actually owned the game, I'd look primarily for a character I like, then build a team around it, playing to that character's strengths. If there are multiple characters that could interchangeably fit a spot (for example, in a Frank West team you could reasonably run Wolverine, Skrull, Nova, or a few others on point), I pick the one I like best, as long as it has synergy with the third member of the team. Or, alternatively, just rip off a team I like (<3 GIMR).

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Decided to swap out wesker for deadpool. I can still do the unblockable, but now Im not playing wesker =] deadpools a pretty good anchor as well so no foul there.

NNID
Budget_Player
Yeah, deadpool is pretty nifty, and his low assist also hits low. Not as good as Wesker, but definitely better against certain characters (Hi Morrigan!) and a blast to use. "Who was I supposed to kill again? Eh... Doesn't matter!" Which reminds me, have you guys seen the Rei-Chan videos from the latest Japanese UMvC3 tournament? Rei-Chan makes Deadpool look really good, and he's not even really maximizing his combo damage (I think Maximilian came up with B&Bs involving the bolo that do considerably more damage).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgYk_pUpMW4

And yes, I spend an almost embarrassing amount of time watching videos of a game I don't own the right console for.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
what makes deadpool so good against morrigan?

and lol'd at "his low assist also hits low" =p his OTG does not hit low btw, you have to use quick work to get the low hit. its a shame, but I'd rather lose the OTG and play not-wesker than have a low hitting otg while having to use wesker =[ i just really dont like him lol

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
TLDR version:
I'm somewhere in between the ideas of team synergy and picking characters you like being important parts of the game. My (Vanilla) team (that I still use in Ultimate for some reason) was built to safely give Hsien-Ko gold armor and raw tag She-Hulk with only 2 meters. The team was built around She-Hulk and Hsien-Ko, and even though Magneto is first, She-Hulk really acts as my point character.

-----

In Vanilla I ran Magneto(B)/Hsien-Ko(a)/She-Hulk(a), and while the order is questionable, I had many reasons for this particular setup.

Magneto was on point because 2 meters, no matter the circumstances, always netted free gold armor assist and free raw tag to She-Hulk. This is because magnetic shockwave dhc into gold armor gave you enough time to raw tag without being punished since shockwave is still out and pushing the opponent fullscreen, block or not.

If Magneto was able to land a hit, he could rom to the corner and dhc glitch into gold armor, in which case Hsien-Ko could typically just finish them off, and if she didn't, she could get a free raw tag to She-Hulk after the knockdown.

Magneto has B assist because it is able to extend She-Hulk's combos and makes for great resets if jabbed while still in the Hyper Gravitation. Also, if She-Hulk went for a normal air grab reset in the corner, she could throw out magneto's assist. If she got the throw, the opponent would fly right into the assist allowing her to simply land and crouching H into a new combo (which is stronger than relaunching with torpedo). If they tried to break the throw by mashing H, sometimes they'd still land right into the assist.

Hsien-Ko's assist gave me great opportunities to throw She-Hulk's overhead (forward H) into blockstrings. Also, since gold armor assist takes a while to actually hit someone, you can just command grab while Hsien-Ko starts her animation. I got a lot of grabs with those two.

Lastly, She-Hulk's command grabs gave you enough time to raw tag in Magneto and do whatever you wanted, with unscaled damage. I liked that, a lot.

Biggest team flaws:
- No assists or means of moving in for Magneto at the start of a match. This sucked, since if I couldn't open with a throw or a quick mixup, I'd usually end up cornering myself with disruptors hoping to hear the announcer say "Level 2!".
- My final character would almost always end up being Hsien-Ko. Wasn't entirely terrible, since people that don't know how to fight Hsien-Ko always wanna hit her when she has Gold Armor on. She can also set up decent scenarios by herself on incoming characters (heavy item throw plus low equals unblockable). If you're fighting anyone that's familiar with Hsien-Ko, though, you prolly lost. Easiest character to run away from in the game, I think.
- If the team order gets ****ed with at all, especially snapping in Hsien-Ko, things are gonna fall apart quickly.
- If Magneto dies before you gain 2 meters, **** gets a lot harder. Not a horrible scenario, though. If you get 2 meters with Hsien-Ko, you can always heavy gong to gold armor if the opponent is far from you then raw tag in She-Hulk behind the gong's cover, or if they decide to move in, you can gold armor dhc into she-hulk antiair grab once they jump.

Biggest team advantages:
- Magneto + Gold Armor gives Dark Phoenix (obviously a huge problem in Vanilla) very few options since she can't fireball camp in the air (magneto can just shockwave or gravity squeeze on reaction) or teleport (gold armor assist on reaction to free combo). In general, though, people getting locked down by gold armor gives magneto all kinds of time to move in and go high or low a few times.
- She-Hulk + Gold Armor gives one of the nastiest mixups on incoming opponents (excluding Sentinel, of course), in my opinion. Gold armor plus She-Hulk's antiair grab super will equal one of three things:
1. Opponent presses a button, they get air grabbed, free combo.
2. Opponent doesn't press a button, now they have to deal with the fact that She-Hulk is going to move past them and they're going to have to decide which way to block the gold armor assist which will usually lead to a free combo.
3. They end up not pressing a button and blocking the ambiguous crossup, however, She-Hulk has enough time to land safely (since the assist lasts so long) and apply pressure or go for a grab.

I, admittedly, also use this team in Ultimate. It isn't nearly as effective, as She-Hulk has been nerfed into the ground, and dhc glitch has been removed.

Also, She-Hulk + gold armor gets ****ing destroyed by Ghost Rider to the point of embarrassment.

Although, now Magneto has the option of pulling incoming characters straight down into the gold armor assist for free mixups.

In Vanilla, this team wasn't exactly solid, but if the 2 meter requirement is filled before Magneto dies, the team is pretty unstoppable. In Ultimate, this team kinda sucks, although it will counter the **** out of certain teams/individual characters. Still, it's way less effective and can be a pain to get things rolling. Also, in Ultimate, certain characters can now punish the raw tag after shockwave (Vergil).
I enjoyed reading this a lot, it shows how devoted you are to learning every aspect of your team.

However if the team is really as bad as you say it is, you might want to consider having a high tier secondary team. In case of an emergency.

Also, while were on the topic of she hulk. Abegen is broken

NNID
Budget_Player
what makes deadpool so good against morrigan?

and lol'd at "his low assist also hits low" =p his OTG does not hit low btw, you have to use quick work to get the low hit. its a shame, but I'd rather lose the OTG and play not-wesker than have a low hitting otg while having to use wesker =[ i just really dont like him lol
What's wrong with Wesker? He's a top tier. BFD. I like winning. ^_^

@Kid: yeah, it seems like he's basically playing **** tier characters for teh lulz. Tron? She-Hulk? Thor? WHY DOES IT WORK?!

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Isn't Abegen one of those kusoge gods or whatever?

And BPC, you never told me why deadpool beats morrigan =[ I really wanna know

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha hella i use a similar strategy with hsien ko

i really look up to LLND though, who is a total beast and the best hsien ko. he does some unbelievably good stuff with her when he happens to have her on point. 800k xf lvl 2 combos with no meter, ahhh so impressive, considering hsien ko's damage is horrendous

I'm not sure about BEATING Morrigan, but I would think Deadpool would have an easier time.

Being able to cover a Super jump from fullscreen makes somewhat a difference against Morrigan.

NNID
Budget_Player
Isn't Abegen one of those kusoge gods or whatever?

And BPC, you never told me why deadpool beats morrigan =[ I really wanna know
I didn't say beat; I said "did better than wesker". Which isn't hard; Morrigan destroys Wesker. Deadpool has a considerably better chance, mainly because his guns will straight-up beat Soul Fist spam if there's no astral vision out, and he can snipe her out of the air as well. His guns super is also really good at catching the Doom assist (and if you can get rid of that, then the whole fight just went from "OH MY GOD HOW DO I BEAT THIS" to "Huh, this is annoying". A couple of things combined, really; either way, he does better than Wesker. Oh, and his teleport is also considerably better.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
What's wrong with Wesker? He's a top tier. BFD. I like winning. ^_^

@Kid: yeah, it seems like he's basically playing **** tier characters for teh lulz. Tron? She-Hulk? Thor? WHY DOES IT WORK?!
Did you know there's a guy named Low Tier Fear who actually does that?

Also deadpools guns don't reallt beat soul fist... Or at least its not that simple.

To my knowledge, deadpool shoots ten bullets. And it takes 6 or 8 of them to cancel 1 soul fist, so if they both shoot at the same time deadpool will win, but if the fireball is already out, he probably won't put out enough bullets in time to keep it from hitting him

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
I play She-Hulk not only because she's one of my favorite Marvel characters but also because she gives ME my best chance to win. I've played her since Day 1 and basically understand the character inside out. Used to run She-Hulk/Iron Man in Vanilla with a rotation of thirds (Doom anchor/Zero point/Trish point/Storm point). I was really excited about Nova since he would've finally been a stable third (also the trio teamed up in an episode of Super Hero Squad, the only episode She-Hulk and Nova appeared in and probably why She-Hulk and Iron Man are Nova's initial partners in his reveal trailer). However, I didn't like the changes for Iron Man so I couldn't play him with She-Hulk anymore. I initially had used Strider as anchor for his dumb assist and his XF3 benefits but I just dropped him because he doesn't reliably help my team as much as he could others. Now I'm gonna experiment with Trish again along with Akuma, Sentinel, Vergil, Dante, and maybe Iron Man as well.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Did you know there's a guy named Low Tier Fear who actually does that?

Also deadpools guns don't reallt beat soul fist... Or at least its not that simple.

To my knowledge, deadpool shoots ten bullets. And it takes 6 or 8 of them to cancel 1 soul fist, so if they both shoot at the same time deadpool will win, but if the fireball is already out, he probably won't put out enough bullets in time to keep it from hitting him
LTF actually lives in my town. I play with him a lot at tourneys. I took a round off him once! Still my best tourney win to date....even though I didnt win the set XD

And he hates the name LTF, I think hes changing it.

Also, hes like, 14 or some ****. Cool, huh?

And he doesnt really pick chars cuz theyre low tier, his team just happened to be low tier really.

TL?

Smash Ace
I didn't say beat; I said "did better than wesker". Which isn't hard; Morrigan destroys Wesker. Deadpool has a considerably better chance, mainly because his guns will straight-up beat Soul Fist spam if there's no astral vision out, and he can snipe her out of the air as well. His guns super is also really good at catching the Doom assist (and if you can get rid of that, then the whole fight just went from "OH MY GOD HOW DO I BEAT THIS" to "Huh, this is annoying". A couple of things combined, really; either way, he does better than Wesker. Oh, and his teleport is also considerably better.
I use morrigan. I'm actually more scared of Wesker than deadpool. She does not destroy wesker. I think it's in her favor, but wesker is certainly not helpless. Wesker has a hard time finding his way in, but if he is anywhere near you and has xfactor on deck he has a serious chance of catching you. Not to mention Morrigan struggles to break 500k and wesker has 1mil life. And if you are morrigan incoming against a wesker, it's in his favor at that moment. Also fly cancel air soul fist beats or trades with deadpool's up guns.

If you're looking for morrigan counters, I would go with:
Hawkeye
Dr Strange
Vergil
Dormammu
Sometimes Ammy

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I use morrigan. I'm actually more scared of Wesker than deadpool. She does not destroy wesker. I think it's in her favor, but wesker is certainly not helpless. Wesker has a hard time finding his way in, but if he is anywhere near you and has xfactor on deck he has a serious chance of catching you. Not to mention Morrigan struggles to break 500k and wesker has 1mil life. And if you are morrigan incoming against a wesker, it's in his favor at that moment. Also fly cancel air soul fist beats or trades with deadpool's up guns.

If you're looking for morrigan counters, I would go with:
Hawkeye
Dr Strange
Vergil
Dormammu
Sometimes Ammy
I can see why you would say this, but as the most unothodox morrigan player I know, I can say that patience and holding back beats dorm and patience and down back beats hawkeye. The two of them don't counter her imo.

Its just one of those, ' you have to play differently to win' type of deals

TL?

Smash Ace
I can see why you would say this, but as the most unothodox morrigan player I know, I can say that patience and holding back beats dorm and patience and down back beats hawkeye. The two of them don't counter her imo.

Its just one of those, ' you have to play differently to win' type of deals

Then what are the last characters you want to run into as morrigan?

You forgot Storm (with meter)

Smooth Criminal
And, no I didn't. :)

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Rei-Chan makes Deadpool look really good, and he's not even really maximizing his combo damage (I think Maximilian came up with B&Bs involving the bolo that do considerably more damage).
hurhur maximilian making combos :v

Also, I think Wolvie with a beam or anything similar does really good against Morrigan. *shrug*

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Actually, having Storm available for DHC Hailstorm is good against Morrigan.
This. She's the reason why Jwong was able to expose ChrisG's Morrigan shenanigans a while back (he swapped Iron Fist out and ran Wolvie/Storm/Akuma). Wolverine could just DHC to out to Storm's Hailstorm if he was in some ****. Then, Wolvie's got a Berserker Charge stocked whenever he comes in again.

Hailstorm's not a hard counter or anything, but it makes the Morrigan player hesitant to start chucking plasma if Storm is on point. If they're careless, they're going to get nailed, so they're going to have to block crap, evade, or they're going to have to burn their X-Factor prematurely if they're in a bad way. None of these things are good options if Storm has meter stocked. The moment Hailstorm hits, Storm could burn X-Factor (if it's available) and either 1) do Hailstorm again or 2) rush that ***** down and set up a combo. Either way, it's probably going to kill Morrigan.

That's all I was getting at.

Smooth Criminal

Top Bottom