• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Picks - Most Wanted Characters for Fighters Pass 2

Smashboards-Picks.jpg

Fighter Pass 2 of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is nearing the middle of its speculation cycle. There are many possible candidates when it comes to the next four characters. Instead of speculating the most likely characters however, today we will be talking about who we WANT instead. For this article, several mods and writers for SmashBoards were asked to pick their most wanted character for Ultimate and explain why in detail.

With that out of the way, let's go through the picks!

---------------------------------

@Venus of the Desert Bloom

Chrono from Chrono Trigger

I’ve covered a wide variety of characters in my Character Analysis article series but I’ve never actually covered Chrono from Chrono Trigger, which is one of my most wanted characters. He’s not exactly at the top of the most-wanted or prediction lists and tends to get shouldered out by more popular or likely characters such as Sora, 2B, and Geno but it can't be denied that his game had a huge impact on the RPG genre and gaming overall. Chrono being a magical swordsman has tons of potential moves to draw from which would make for a possibly yet fun moveset. The Spirit Battles for Chrono Trigger would also be pretty awesome (Frog Spirit Battle with Greninja with a Beam Sword!). That being said, probably the biggest reason why I want to see Geno included is to bring one of the greatest gaming soundtracks in history to Smash. In particular, I would love to see the game’s theme, Millenial Fair, Frog’s Theme, and Jolly Ol’ Spekkio. While Chrono is in my time most-wanted list, I’m not going to go full ham and support the character like what we see some users do (character-specific avatars and such), in support threads. He has my full support but I’m perfectly fine quietly and passively supporting him as well.

@Scribe

Sol Badguy from Guilty Gear

Admittedly I’m somewhat emboldened by Terry making it in with the first season pass, and a lot of people might say Smash has enough fighting game characters already, but I think Sol has a lot going on to properly differentiate him from Ryu, Ken and Terry.

The Guilty Gear series is generally a lot more fast-paced and aggressive than Street Fighter or even KoF, and that’s something that could easily shine through in Smash through mechanics like the gatling combo system, which lets players cancel lighter-strength normals into heavier ones on hit or block, or the Tension gauge, which builds up not just from taking and landing hits like most super meters, but even just from moving forward and generally has a “use it or lose it” feel due to the negative penalty mechanic.

Sol also has a surprising amount of history on Nintendo platforms. While Arc System Works has obviously been supporting the Switch quite a bit, with ports of both the original Guilty Gear and Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +R, as well as other ArcSys titles, they’ve been releasing Guilty Gear games on Nintendo platforms for quite some time. Guilty Gear XX had a handheld version for the Game Boy Advance, and both Guilty Gear XX Accent Core and Guilty Gear XX Accent Core + were ported to the Wii.

On top of all of that… Sol’s just cool as all hell. Guilty Gear’s visual style is inspired by a mix of heavy metal and Shonen battle anime, and Sol exemplifies this, with a design that takes just as many cues from Kenshiro as it does from Freddie Mercury. On top of that, Sol would bring with him a bombastic and aggressive playstyle that has been sorely missing from the last few DLC characters.

Admittedly, I’m less and less sure that Sol would actually make it in—and if he did, I anticipate it would be as the fourth or fifth character in Fighter Pass 2 rather than the next one, assuming patterns from past reveal cycles continue with this one—but honestly I don’t really care how likely he is. If we want to talk about the likelihood of characters, there’s plenty to say there, but I think people get way too caught up in that. Sometimes an unlikely character would still make a good addition to Smash.

Sari Sari

Quote from Cave Story

1606917516450.jpeg

Choosing between my most wanted character for Ultimate is not an easy task, as there are a ton of candidates that I’d jump up and down for. Frequently talked about names like Rex and Crash would get me very hyped while some unrealistic characters like Kyo Kusanagi would be equally as amazing. If it had to come down to one choice however, then it would probably be the star of one of the first big indie games: the enigmatic Quote from Cave Story.

I've talked about Cave Story and Quote before but I can just never see myself stopping: the game is just that important to me. I first got into Cave Story with the WiiWare version after hearing about it in Nintendo Power. What I thought would be just an enjoyable title would eventually become my favorite indie game and one of my favorite games in general. This metroidvania title created by a single person boasts a memorable story, memorable music, and fun yet challenging gameplay. Quote would be an incredibly fun projectile-based fighter as there are a ton of unique weapons to use in Cave Story.

Oh and if all of this wasn’t good enough, there’s also another great reason to have Quote in Smash: Curly Brace! As one of the main characters of Cave Story, Curly could easily work as an alt costume or even as an echo fighter of Quote.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

Geno from Super Mario RPG

I could likely name at least a dozen characters that I’d want to see, but Geno has been up there with Banjo and Kazooie in terms of how long I’ve wanted to see them playable in Smash. (since the lead-up to Brawl, at least - maybe since the lead-up to Melee, but it’s been a while) Super Mario RPG was one of the first games that I really got into as a kid, which likely helps, and thanks to the content that’s unique to that game being owned by Square-Enix, Smash Bros. is quite literally one of the only games that he can appear in, since it’s not often that Square-Enix and Nintendo work together on a game involving Mario. (in the past 24 years, it’s been Fortune Street for the Wii, Mario Hoops 3-on-3 for the DS, and Mario Sports Mix for the Wii) Plus he’d come with some great music (Example 1), (Example 2), and he’s very different from the rest of the Mario cast in terms of design and abilities, which would help him stand out among the roster even with there being plenty of Mario characters in the game.

Basically, Super Mario RPG was one of the games that got me into gaming, and I’d like to see Geno make a comeback after decades of effectively being exiled from the Mario universe due to legal issues. On top of that, given that it’s seemingly the central location of Super Mario RPG (it’s featured on both the game’s cover art and title screen), Geno’s inclusion could finally give us a Bowser’s Castle stage that has been inexplicably absent from Smash! (Sorry, Paper Mario stage, you only count 1/3 of the time).

-----------------------------------

@Zerp

Celebi from Pokémon

My most wanted character is the time travelling onion, Celebi! There are a ton of reasons I want Celebi but the biggest has to be their role in the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games. is one of my all-time favorite games and Celebi was definitely my favorite character in it. So not only would I get a character I really like, one of my favorite games would probably get some content as well. Speaking of content, Celebi’s recurring role in the Mystery Dungeon games would be a great excuse to give us awesome tracks from the series. I’d love to play Smash while listening to songs like Sky Tower, Temporal Tower, Thunderwave Cave, Fire Island Volcano, Defy The Legends, Aegis Cave, Amp Plains and Dialga’s Fight to the Finish. If we’re really lucky we could even get a stage from Explorers of Sky like Temporal Tower, Treasure Town, the summit of Vast Ice Mountain or even the bleak landscape of the dark future. That said, I still have other reasons to want Celebi:
  • I’ve always wanted a playable mythical Pokémon in Smash and Celebi would be the first.
  • The Johto games have a fantastic soundtrack and we’d totally get more music from them.
  • Celebi’s design clearly takes inspiration from fairies and fairies are awesome.
  • Celebi is tied for being my favorite Pokémon.
  • I fail to see how the development team could possibly make a time travelling pixie guardian of forests boring to play.
  • They’re adorable.

Octorockandroll Octorockandroll

Fawful from Mario & Luigi

Here’s something that will come as no surprise to my friends in the central Canadian smash communities. This mean green meme machine has been my most wanted newcomer for nearly a decade now and his disappearance from the latest Mario & Luigi RPGs has only made me want him more. This Beanish villain overflows with the zany energy that made the series such a hit and he has all the tools to be a great Villager-esque high-mobility zoner when brought into Smash. He could zip around the stage on foot or with his trusty Vacuum Helmet while keeping opponents out with his wacky gadgets. And if those don’t give him enough projectiles, he can always throw out his many classic quotes. Who wouldn’t want to be hit with weaponized text-boxes that read “I have fury,” “I do not have time to stop and smell foul roses such as you” or “this battle shall be the delicious mustard on the bread! The mustard of your doom”? Some may say that Ultimate already has too many zoners and too many Mario characters to bring Fawful in, but to that I say: “Your words are not beans. I am not wanting them!”

AEMehr AEMehr

A Mercenary from Team Fortress 2

tf2.PNG

I’m not really begging for a character much anymore, because they already added my most wanted Nintendo character: Min Min!

But if I had to pick someone else… I think I’d lean on a Mercenary from Team Fortress 2. TF2 is well known for it’s characters first and foremost, whether you’ve seen them in their game trailers or in the community created Garry’s Mod and Source Filmmaker videos. There are a variety of classes that can offer fun ways to play: The Scout’s mobility would feel so natural in Smash, the Soldier’s ability to Rocket Jump would offer some unique ways to utilize self-inflicted knockback, the Spy could cloak in free-for-alls and potentially backstab opponents for huge damage, the Engineer could maintain a Sentry Gun and Dispenser, there is simply just a lot to work with. The Heavy is a class that gets mentioned a lot as well, though I must admit he doesn’t really have anything crazy to offer in a game like Smash on his own. However, if they chose to design the character as an amalgamation of everything in TF2 trying to support the Heavy (y’know, as it is a team based game)… That may be the best possible thing for him. Interactions like, getting an Engineer to build a Teleporter for him, being supported by a Sniper to cover his back, a Spy decloaking nearby to attack an enemy, little ideas like that. It’s honestly a bit convoluted, but with how some characters already work in Smash I don’t think it’s that much of a stretch to see happening.

Overall, I’d love to see a character from the game make the jump to Smash. I know they’re not Gordan Freeman, so like, would they even be the most tantalizing addition from Valve? Probably not. But I love and grew up with ‘em, so I gotta rep the team.

@---

Ring Fit Trainee from Ring Fit Adventure

1606918134509.png

While there is a certain ninja who I’d equally like to see, I thought it’d be more fun to go with a character that seems most likely doomed due to being a latecomer, and that’s the Ring Fit Trainee. I’ve really been getting into the game over the past few months; though arguably not playing nearly as much as I should. The game itself is very customizable to fit within one’s personal goals while also constantly encouraging one to try out the numerous types of “Fit Skill” attacks offered in battle. Having unlocked and performed one of every base type of “Fit Skill” through the course of the game, I was rather amazed at how little overlap there was with fellow healthy fighter: Wii Fit Trainer. Intermixed with various power ups the character Ring provides you as well as various tools wielded in mini-game challenges, the battle-centric Trainee more or less felt (both figuratively and physically) like a natural fit for Smash.

Above all else though, I think it would be fantastic to see a horizontal scrolling stage based on the game’s unique art style and theming. The game’s world and characters are very charming with one of the best parts being levels where there are long stretches without enemies, letting you take the world in. Songs such as the Overworld Theme or Vs. The Four Masters are both somehow serene and energetic.

Author's Note: Who is YOUR single most wanted character for Smash Ultimate? Let us know in the comments below!

Credits:
Thumbnail Graphic: @Zerp
Social Media: @Zerp

Last edited by a moderator:
Sari

Comments

My most wanted is Dante. If Dante got in, I'd be very happy if Dante had a new boss in his Classic Mode, which would be Vergil. The fight would have Bury the Light (Final Boss version) playing in the background and upon Vergil loses 50% of his health he uses Devil Trigger while when he loses 75% of his health, he starts going for Judgement Cut.

I've never seen anyone mention Celebi for Smash but I'd be cool if it ever was playable in the future after I get Miltank. Plus I loved the Johto games as a kid when they first came out. Smash could use more Johto region music tracks imo.

I already got my "Most Wanted Character" in both Banjo-Kazooie and 2nd most in King K. Rool.

But without a doubt my next and last absolute most wanted character would be Crash Bandicoot.

efy2hxbxgaatmp-.png

After the dust settled I looked at the current landscape of available characters (Mainly 3rd party characters) that I resonate with and believe are Smash worthy and there really isn't much "Star Power" left out there, But without a doubt Crash Bandicoot is one of the last few big names left and checks off the most boxes on what most are looking for on available Smash candidates.

While I am about 90-95% content with the roster, Crash Bandicoot is one of the very last few characters that I truly believe "Needs" to be in Smash, I don't care what anybody says about "No one deserves or earned the right to be in Smash". To me personally there are some characters that feel like should be prioritized and make more sense than others (Example: Sonic and Pacman) and without a doubt Crash is right up that alley.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate is the most ambitious video game crossover in history and it will feel like a big part of past feuds and dream matchups would be missing if Crash Bandicoot doesn't make the cut.

Last edited:
Reactions: QQS
I already got my "Most Wanted Character" in both Banjo-Kazooie and 2nd most in King K. Rool.

But without a doubt my next and last absolute most wanted character would be Crash Bandicoot.

View attachment 293636

After the dust settled I looked at the current landscape of available characters (Mainly 3rd party characters) that I resonate with and believe are Smash worthy and there really isn't much "Star Power" left out there, But without a doubt Crash Bandicoot is one of the last few big names left and checks off the most boxes on what most are looking for on available Smash candidates.

While I am about 90-95% content with the roster, Crash Bandicoot is one of the very last few characters that I truly believe "Deserves" and "Needs" to be in Smash, I don't care what anybody says about "No one deserves or earned the right to be in Smash". To me personally there are some characters that feel like should be prioritized and make more sense than others (Example: Sonic and Pacman) and Crash is right up that alley.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate is the most ambitious video game crossover in history and it will feel like a big part of past feuds and dream matchups missing if Crash doesn't make the cut.
I think Crash is already playable in a 100% chances. Crash is the MUST of the world, just like Mega Man or Sonic; and Geno is the MUST of the Fan Demand, just like Banjo-Kazooie.

For me Crash and Geno have the higher chances to be playable, both are happening you will see! Crash with Crash4; and Geno with SMRPG to the NSO and probably a remake.

I'd love to see a character with a really strong Japanese aesthetic / flair, like Amaterasu from Okami or Sakuna from her new game (XSeed game). I'd also love Donchan from Taiko, Neku from TWEWY, or Shantae.

Really, I'm good with anyone, but I'd love to get 4 characters from series not previously represented.

I'm glad at least someone included Ring Fit Trainee.

Anyways, my single most wanted characters are Sora and Crash Bandicoot.

Other characters I support are Sakura Shinguji, Adol Chrisitn, Euden, Toxtricity, Cinderace, and Chosen Undead.

Last edited:
every time i have the opportunity to write something i ALWAYS think of quote first only to see sari take first dibs

one day ill get to write about quote and curly lol

Last edited:
Man that's a misleading title like the whole website had a poll lmao
I saw a fairly recent article with a similar title so I pretty much copied it. Next time when we do something like this I'll title it SmashBoards Staff Picks.

Geno, Crash and Hayabusa! The rest I would be happy for the fans, like Sora, Rayman, Lloyd, Isaac or Doom. Another from Zelda or Sonic would be epic also.

Top 1 pick and most wanted: Geno.

D
1. Spyro
2. Geno
3. Toxtricity
4. Bandana Dee
5. Sora

I feel like crash will be next. It will be crash or Doomslayer. Could you imagine a character with FPS mechanics in this game?! :estatic:

Top Bottom