• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: The Ultimate Game Collection! (Updates every weekend)

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So, there was a Scott The Woz video from a while back where he talked about what games one might want to bring if they were to be stranded on a desert island for the rest of their lives. I know not everyone is a fan of this guy but I definitely recommend the video, it has a lot of good points in it about what games could be considered "essentials" based on different criteria and rules.

That video got me thinking recently - what if we (the users of SmashBoards) tried to make an ultimate gaming compilation? A compilation that anyone could play and enjoy without any prior knowledge of videogames. A compilation which includes every game that the thread considers to be must-plays. A compilation that celebrates videogames at their core.

We could go a number of directions with this, be it prioritizing gaming history or just whatever individual users deem to be the most fun, but the one thing to keep in mind is that, with game submissions, you should be able to look at it and go "yeah, there's a case to be made that everyone should play this." One might think Fortnite is an essential for how much it took the world by storm for so long, another may want it for a different reason (like an abundance of pop-culture iconography), and someone might disagree with both takes and believe that Sonic 06 should be included because it provides a great example of what NOT to do when making a videogame, and someone else might genuinely think it's a really fun game that more people should give a chance to...you get the idea.

And don't worry, we won't just be doing game submissions. There's a lot that goes into a compilation - aesthetic, collectibles, achievements, slight remastering, collection rooms, all that jazz. There will usually be one game a week, and either an essential job (like the amount of games) a job for something around the games (like the stuff I just mentioned). If I hit a brick wall (which has happened in a lot of my past creation threads, I'll admit) I'll put up a "submit a prompt" job so we can keep moving on schedule.

CONTENT
Super Mario Bros​
Released 1985 (NES)​
Submitted by tonygameman tonygameman
Final Fantasy VII​
Released 1997 (PS1)​
Submitted by AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
Street Fighter II: The World Warrior​
Released 1992 (Arcade)​
Submitted by Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule

First jobs are coming up soon!

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
JOB 1: Submit a beginner's title
Now, what do I mean by this? Well, to start off, we need a game that can be played by most anyone. The kind of game you would reccomend to a friend who's uninitiated with the whole videogame thing. A game that's fairly simplistic and not too tough (but also not boring) is what we generally want to aim for in this job. Something like Street Fightetr II Turbo is a very legitimate choice for the thread, but it's maybe not the best one to go with for a beginner's title. But don't be discouraged if you disagree - you can always make a case for why Little Timmy would benefit greatly by playing Dark Souls before anything else. I'll also reccommend submissions stick to mainly single-player games so that anyone could enjoy them at any time, but again, if you disagree then you are free to make that case in your submission! There's no restriction on this job for time period, genre, importance, or what have you.

TL;DR submit a game that's not super duper hard but also not boring

Now, there are a few rules I wish to get out of the way. Keep in mind I'll try to be lenient with these, but don't test it.
-Don't submit compilations. No Sonic Mega Collection Plus, no Namcomuseums, none of that. Would kind of defeat the thread's purpose, feel me?
-Submissions for games that include side content of other games are fine, but if you submit Animal Crossing, don't mention in your submission "we should include it because of the NES games!" That's lame and also defeats the purpose of the thread.
-No being a stickler on other people's submissions (i.e. don't be like "well ackshually Wii Play sold more copies than Plants Vs. Zombies so Wii Play is automatically more important than Plants Vs. Zombies!")
-Like I alluded to above, game sales are great for generating ideas or judging relative popularity of a game, but try not to rely on them too much - that's closing yourself out from so many great options for game inclusions.
-Don't submit something like uhh idk The Guy Game or anything else that is illegal or just kinda dumb, you know what I mean

JOB 2: Number of Titles
So, how many videogames will be included in the ultimate gaming compilation? This is really important to know before we get going so that there is a general idea of scale for the thread and all that jazz. You can go anywhere you want but I suggest staying in the double digits. Also this game probably won't get DLC, at least not in the form of new games (but we might do other stuff)

With that stuff all out of the way, you have until Saturday (EST) to get your submissions in!

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Pajama Sam in: No Need to Hide When It's Dark Outside!

OK, maybe this one leans a little too hard into a "beginner's game" being made for literal 3 year olds and all, but either way it's a game that was tailor made to introduce gaming to younger audiences and has appeal to older audiences too with its fantastic world and whimsical humour.

Number of titles: a nice, round 100 - I think this is feasible (in a thread sense, not real world) given we won't be fleshing out the games any further like we would a fighter or race track.

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Job 1: Pong

Not a beginner game. The beginner game.

No bells, no whistles, just good ol' Pong the way God intended. Despite being simplistic (despite that fitting in with the prompt anyway), I feel that I want to have one of the granddaddies of the medium represented, and while I love Spacewar and Computer Space, I wouldn't really call those beginner friendly. As such, have Pong.

Job 2: 64
One game for every year the medium's been around (if you subscribe to the 1958 William Higinbotham mindset, of course). A nice even number, too.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Every user of Smashboards who clicked their mouse there, rise for the national anthem of video gaming. All of you already know the starting notes, for sure (yes, it had lyrics since 1986).

Job #1: Beginner's Title - Super Mario Bros. (1985)

Another inevitable addition, much like Pac-Man five years earlier. Made a huge impact for the video game industry overall, laid foundations for the side-scrolling platformer genre, ended the infamous market crash of 1983 and was the best-selling game with more than 40 million units sold worldwide (58 million, counting SNES's All-Stars and Game Boy Color's Deluxe), before Wii Sports broke it's record (though a franchise still holds the title with 760 million units). Even starred the most iconic video game character/mascot, who was once stated to be more famous than a cartoon mouse himself, and spawned a multimedia franchise after his 1981 debut in Donkey Kong.

EDIT: Speaking of achievements in a opening post, I did these a few years ago. And for the amount of games in a second job, maybe about hundred/100, like Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario , Faz and Linkmain said.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
JOB 1: Portal

A puzzle-platformer that is widely loved, has an incredible narrative, and is really fantastic for the uninitiated. The portal gun makes for a simple yet complex tool, and it's linear enough not to lose first-time players (like something that Minecraft or GTA could do by complete accident). And the "Aha!" moments it touts are some of the most clever in gaming.

JOB 2: 56
Assuming I keep the thread going at a pace of one game per week, this'll leave the thread completed at this time next year!

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
This looks like a lot of fun here. Now, for a beginner's game.

Job 1:

Minecraft

Minecraft_cover.png

One of the best selling video games of all time. I feel a sandbox game could be perfect for beginners as the game is where you just build or you can survive. It's all about creativity in the Minecraft world. Plus, everyone has heard of Minecraft.

Job 2:

I like the idea of 64 games FazDude FazDude proposed. A nice number to represent the number of years video games have been around.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Job #1: Terraria

46459E65-5A10-4019-8302-4A6077B6159A.jpeg

Terraria is an action adventure sandbox similar to Minecraft, except with a heavier emphasis on combat. New Players can go normal mode, a relatively chill adventure, or Journey mode, which is essentially Minecraft creative. These modes can help new players learn the mechanics of the game and also provide decent challenge if they so want it to. Journey mode in particular helps with this, allowing them to go at the beat of their own drum and focus on the more peaceful aspects of the game, like building.

Job #2: 100. I feel like anything lower would be too little. There are so many spectacular games that can be considered must plays, and most are different genres. While 64 like FazDude FazDude suggested may be more… idk, sentimental, but there are tons of must plays on most years, which we could be robbing spots of this way. Like, what if you want both Spider man 2018 and God of war 2018? Do you choose one so that you don’t exclude other years, or do you choose both but a year is not represented? 100 would remedy this with 36 extra to allow extra games per year. I just have to agree with Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario on this.

Last edited:
Job 1:
Donkey Kong (1981)
1663867109867.png
Donkey Kong is a 1981 arcade game made by Nintendo and it's about Donkey Kong (Cranky Kong now) who stole Lady (Pauline) from Jumpman (Mario or Mario's father) and he needs to climb up the building to get her from DK by jumping over the barrels and climb up the ladders scattered on the construction site.

Donkey Kong (1981) was a huge success that started Mario franchise on high note and it's considered as one of the greatest games of all time. Because of this, this game got a sequel where you play as DK Jr. and a third game where you play Stanley the Bugman (Mario's cousin maybe?). Heck, it even got a remake on gameboy in 1994, which it was released before DKC game.

This game got even referenced many times in DKC games like in the opening of the first game and even in DKCR in Wonky waterway level (it also was referenced in Tropical freeze).

I think it should be included in this collection because of it's popularity and it had a great legacy throughout time.

Job 2:
I'll go with 100 just like Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario .

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Thank you all for these fantastic submissions!

Pong (submitted by FazDude FazDude )
Pac-Man (submitted by @Darkonedagger )
Donkey Kong (submitted by Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
Super Mario Bros (submitted by tonygameman tonygameman )
Tetris (submitted by nirvanafan nirvanafan and Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
Kirby's Adventure (submitted by CheeseAnton CheeseAnton )
DOOM (submitted by cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Pajama Sam in: No Need To Hide When It's Dark Outside! (submitted by Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario )
Portal (submitted by me)
Minecraft (submitted by AlteredBeast AlteredBeast )
Terraria (submitted by Linkmain-maybe Linkmain-maybe )

Voting will now begin in a top-3 ranked system within the thread.

1. Kirby's Adventure
2. DOOM
3. Pac-Man

We also have the number of games to vote on!

New jobs will start tomorrow, probably a few hours before voting ends.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Ye its not letting me vote wtf
Weird, I'm looking at the results and we have a decent amount of votes. Do you know if maybe it's something to do with school network/device if you're using either/both? If not, I honestly have no idea. If it persists then you can continue to vote within the thread.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Weird, I'm looking at the results and we have a decent amount of votes. Do you know if maybe it's something to do with school network/device if you're using either/both? If not, I honestly have no idea. If it persists then you can continue to vote within the thread.
Ye I think it’s the school data. Anyway, I vote for Wario3.

D

Deleted member

1. Super Mario Bros
2. Tetris
3. Doom

Last edited by a moderator:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Just to make sure, if we do go with a high number like 100 will new games get added more frequently than every weekend (so the whole thread doesn’t take like 2 years lol) or will multiple games be added per job to avoid the same problem?

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Just to make sure, if we do go with a high number like 100 will new games get added more frequently than every weekend (so the whole thread doesn’t take like 2 years lol) or will multiple games be added per job to avoid the same problem?
Probably more multi-game jobs, the weekend thing works best for my scheduele and will probably help keep this thread from dying. Speaking of which though, I still have no idea what this week's job will be lol. I'll sleep on it.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
We will have a total of 100 games (congrats to Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario !), and the first of those shall be...
Pong: 3
Pac-Man: 14
Donkey Kong: 3
Super Mario Bros: 17
Tetris: 16
Kirby's Adventure: 8
DOOM: 5
Pajama Sam In: No Need To Hide When It's Dark Outside!: 0
Portal: 0
Minecraft: 14
Terraria: 0

Super Mario Bros! (nicely done, tonygameman tonygameman !)

We got 99 games left but SMB ain't one of 'em

Now, we got a really good spread of genres in the submission list here! Platformer, FPS, puzzle, point-and-click, sandbox, survival...so you know what? Let's toss in a few genres that weren't considered for the first job (likely because they're not too beginner-friendly, in most cases).

JOB #3: Submit an RPG game

(no way what's speed weed doing on the ign top 100 rpgs of all time article thumbnail)
Basically, any game where you get stronger over time through various means as you continue on a main quest while solving various sidequests along the way. It doesn't have to be a cut-and-dry, strictly turn-based RPG, but we should probably include one of those at some point, so keep that in mind.

JOB #4: Submit a fighting game

Games where you're one guy and you fight the other guy with your hadoukens and your guilty gears and whatnot. Platform fighters, arena fighters, and all them are eligible here, but as with traditional RPG's, we'll pretty much have to include a traditional fighting game at some point, so might be smart to submit one here. Obviously you don't have to tho.

That's about it! As last week (and going forward) you have until Saturday to get your submissions in. Ciao!

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
I'm gonna abstain from the RPG job - The only one I feel I can truly recommend besides Undertale is Deltarune, and that isn't even complete, so...

Fighting Game: Street Fighter II

I know cashregister9's addressed SFII being ported to every console in existence, but honestly, I feel it's warranted given how much influence it has over fighting games as a whole. I know the ports of this game usually have a ton of differences, but I don't want to split hairs, so I'm just going to submit "general SFII" and leave the specific version included up to your imagination.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Job 3: Chrono Trigger

Chrono Trigger is the game that pretty much got me introduced to JRPG’s and I think it’s pretty much the perfect game to act as an introduction to the genre. It features a story that’s interesting and very unique but not really that complicated (relatively speaking) and it’s gameplay is simple yet deep and with like, next to no grinding which was unheard of for the time.

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior

I just saw FazDude’s post as I’m writing this and it doesn’t have a specific version so I’ll just leave my submission and submit the original version then lol. This game really needs no introduction as pretty much the pioneer for the fighting game genre. I chose the original instead of any rereleases because it’s slower gameplay is more approachable and way easier for newcomers. Something like super street fighter 2 might be “objectively” a better game but it’s difficulty could potentially be a huge turnoff to new players.

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Job #3:

Dragon Quest 11: Echos of an Elusive Age (S)

BA333E3A-1027-48CB-9713-552C68A47AC0.png

Dragon Quest 11 is a JRPG developed by Square Enix, available for Nintendo Switch, PS4, Xbox, 3DS, and PC. Dragon Quest is often cited as the grandfather for the JRPG genre, and that is correct. It has pioneered some of the staple of the genre, such as turn based combat, random encounters, and other critical concepts.

Dragon Quest 11 is the latest installment in the franchise, and is widely believed to be the best one or at least one of the best. With a near mastery over all of its mechanics, this may very well be the most polished game of our age!

Turnbased combat allows all players to go at their own speed while also feeling intense. Want to have battles blaze by? Set the party to auto battle and demolish the opponent. Want to meticulously breakdown the opponent? Set the party to follow orders and put your plan into action! This ensures that hardcore players can flash through battles while less experienced players don’t feel pressure to “git gud”.

Combat animations are glorious and breathtaking, and you would be hard pressed to ever get bored of them. From the simplest flame slash to the most elaborate sword dance, you will always find a visual feast.

Characters are just chefs kiss amazing. You have a wide cast of 8 characters that each have their own unique play styles, personalities, and even speech patterns. Their backstories range from simple to utterly heartbreaking, combat prowess from decent to godlike. You may even grow to like the main character!

Graphically, this game is timeless. It’s simple art style and cartoony graphics ensure that this game does, and always will, look good. Very rarely does this game not look good, and these moments are as fleeting as they are inconsequential. Enemy designs are gorgeous, and even generic NPC’s look great!

The plot, while simple, is absolutely gripping. I won’t spoil it for you, but just know it is an absolute TREAT.

The game is jampacked with content! With 100 hours serving as a barebones completion of the game, to truly 100% the game it requires about… 500 hours. You will never, and I mean never, be bored with this game (unless you are me and play it religiously.)

Ever been worried about game difficulty? Well this game never has an issue with that. Base game, its quite easy, the perfect JRPG introduction. Should you grow bored, you may impose difficulties on yourself known as Draconian Quests. These make the game much more difficult, yet may also be removed if too difficult. Never fear getting stuck!

Job #4: Street fighter 2. Literally no contest lol

Last edited:

Ruler of Subspace

Smash Apprentice
Job #3: NieR Automata

EirAw-iXsAEh3hO.jpg

This is my favorite RPG of all time and one of the only games to make me cry. The story was phenomenal as well as the music, the design and scenery were beautiful, and the attack system was easy to learn and felt very fluid.

Job #4: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

5d4a63237e696c24643a82f2.jpeg

The large variety and quality of the stages, fighters, and music make this a must for any ultimate game collection. As someone who has nearly two thousand hours in the game, I can definitely say it has a lot of replayability -- and I'm not even that great at the game. There's enough of everything in it to keep someone playing for a long time.

Top Bottom