• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: The Ultimate Game Collection! (Updates every weekend)

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Job 3

Final Fantasy VII

ff7-ps-1639014640194.jpg

Probably one of the most iconic and influential JRPGs ever and what caused roleplaying games to enter the mass market outside of Japan. Sure, we should include a traditional turn-based RPG but what about a RPG game that really shaped the genre? I feel there can be the remake version too as an option but for now, let us stick with the classic Final Fantasy VII that helped shape the JRPG genre.

Job 4

Super Smash Bros Melee

super-smash-bros-melee-button-crop-1641601540515.jpg

I know I should have gone with a traditional fighter but the platfighter genre is what inspired people to get into fighting games as of the modern age it seems. Plus, Super Smash Bros Melee is highly influential to platfighters as it popularized the wave dash which was discovered and the discovery was documented right here on Smashboards. Ultimate is a choice too but Melee also popularized competitive Smash and further boosted the FGC scene. This is what led Smash to the esports territory.

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Job 3:Dark Souls

i'm not a hard games fan,but i think that Dark Souls is a good choice,Souls series is very known to being a very hard game,even Dark Souls isn't the first very hard game,and also Dark Souls influenced other games companies creating your own Dark Souls (AKA a genre called Souls-Like) (and it is used by game journalists to be compared by another game,the classic "it's just like Dark Souls").

Job 4:Mortal Kombat (2011)

now for a Fighting Game,i choose one of my favorite gaming franchises,Mortal Kombat!,i can choose Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3,Mortal Kombat Armageddon,Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance, Mortal Kombat X or Mortal Kombat 11, but the Mortal Kombat game that i consider perfect choice is Mortal Kombat 2011,this game have a good story,a good gameplay, good characters and good graphics.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
JOB 3: Pokemon Black and White

Truth be told, it was really hard coming up with a solid "end all, be all" Pokemon game to add - there's just so many! In the end, I decided to go with B&W - this one has a lot of love from the fandom, was the last 2D game in the series, considered to be the most recent good mainline Pokemon game by a lot of fans, and hasn't seen a rerelease quite yet. At least one Pokemon game is an essential for our roster of titles, and I think B&W is a good choice. (As for the two versions, I don't think it's crazy to assume that our game could have an either/or option when you start up a Black and White to choose between them, since they're both the same game pretty much, just with different 'mons.)

JOB 4: Fighters Megamix

Just look at this beauty of a character select screen. A bunch of Virtua Fighter characters. A bunch of Fighting Vipers characters. A bean with a sombrero. The 41 Daytona USA car. Bean The Dynamite and Bark The Polar Bear from Sonic. Janet from Virtua Cop. Taro from Rent-A-Hero. Not pictured, AM2's Palm Tree logo. Some characters from Virtua Fighter Kids. Siba, a cut character from Fighting Vipers. Bahn from Fighting Vipers, but stronger. A literal slab of meat.

This is, by far, the wackiest roster for a fighting game ever, and I think that's a huge reason of why we should include it - it's just really funny and that could be a great hook for someone to get into fighting games.

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Janx_uwu Janx_uwu Actually, the release year of Super Mario Bros. was 1985. Must have mistaken it with Donkey Kong's (1981).

Job #3: Skies of Arcadia (2000)

Skies of Arcadia is a role-playing cult classic, which SEGA developed for their Dreamcast console on October 5th, 2000, which later got ported to Nintendo GameCube as Skies of Arcadia Legends in 2003 with improved graphics, more weapons and extra side missions, having received critical acclaim and regarded one of the console's best games ever, besides guest appearances in Valkyria Chronicles, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed and Archie's comic book story Worlds Unite. It focuses on Vyse, leader of the Blue Rogues, a gang of air pirates (including his childhood friend Aika and a beautiful Silvite girl Fina), in their attempt to stop the Valuan Empire from reviving ancient world-destroying weapons.

The game has an emphasis on exploration throughout the world of Arcadia, while engaging enemies in turn-based battles to earn experience points, making characters much stronger with new skills/weapons. The player can also travel the overworld across six different regions by flying with an airship, while fighting against enemy ships in combat by random encounters.

Job #4: Fatal Fury Special (1993)

SNK was pretty much the SEGA of a fighting game industry, given their importance in the history of a genre, like Capcom as it's "Nintendo". They introduced many new elements/mechanics which were later implemented for other fighters, such as super moves, taunting, dashing (Art of Fighting/Fatal Fury 2 in the form of Desperation Attacks by former), dream matches (Fatal Fury Special), weapon-fighting, comebacks (Samurai Shodown), low hops, rolling/parries, tag-teams (The King of Fighters '94), et cetera. Very clearly said, the company is criminally overlooked if we don't count all those guest appearances in other fighting games like Tekken 7 (Geese), Dead or Alive 5 & 6 (Mai and Kula; former was in both installments), Soul Calibur VI (Haohmaru) and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Terry).

I originally thought of submitting Art of Fighting (for above reasons) or Garou: Mark of the Wolves, given how we're getting a new sequel somewhere in following years. But this applies for Fatal Fury overall as well, since it's been over twenty years, with more iconic characters (like Mai Shiranui and Geese Howard) who didn't appear there. What differed the series from others at a time were shifting/attacking from other planes between the foreground/background and desperation attacks (before Capcom used super moves for Super Street Fighter II Turbo). You're all open for doing that by yourself, if you guys want to.

Anyway, originally released for SNK's arcade/home console system Neo Geo in 1993, Fatal Fury Special was created as an update to Fatal Fury 2 from the previous year, with four new fighters, stages and many other stuff (like impressive/detailed graphics, hilarious easter eggs and great songs, especially Terry's signature "Kurikinton" theme and a very memorable/iconic "Soy Sauce for Geese"; potential option with AST/arranged soundtracks used in a Neo Geo CD port?). You can also get to face a hidden unlockable boss if you don't lose any round during an Arcade Mode playthrough (trust me, it'll get difficult), Ryo Sakazaki from Art of Fighting himself (who later indirectly inspired Capcom's own spoof, Dan Hibiki - read a "Take That!" trope. Kind of ironic, given how both Street Fighter and SNK's franchises were created by Takashi Nishiyama), thus totaling in sixteen characters at a roster.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
RPG Submission: Pokémon Red and Blue

One of the most iconic games ever created, and recognisable even to non-RPG fans. I chose the Game Boy versions instead of GBA for historical value.

If I can't submit these two games, swap them out for Pokémon Yellow.

Fighting game: Mortal Kombat

An archaic title that really isn't good for much other than nostalgia, but still an important milestone either way,

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
RPG - Fire Emblem Three Houses (Complete if possible)

Fighting Game - Soul Calibur II HD Online

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Street_Fighter_III_3rd_Strike_(flyer).png

Street Fighter 3: Third Strike

Yes, SF2 is the iconic one. But SF3 is considered to be one of the best fighting games ever made. From its weird and wonderful cast to its memorable esports moments

persona-5-release-date.jpg

Persona 5 Royal

All be honest. I prefer P4. But there's no doubt P5 is deeply iconic at this point. A game of the year nomimine and was a lot of people's first JRPG. Went with Royal since its the most complete version

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Thanks for all of the support and submissions, everyone! Here's your choices this time around.

RPG's
Dragon Quest III ( PastaRorroKuma PastaRorroKuma )
EarthBound ( Northsouthmap Northsouthmap )
Chrono Trigger ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
Pokemon Red and Blue ( Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario )
Final Fantasy VII ( AlteredBeast AlteredBeast )
Skies of Arcadia ( tonygameman tonygameman )
Pokemon Black and White ( Janx_uwu Janx_uwu )
Dark Souls ( DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
Undertale ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
NieR: Automata ( Ruler of Subspace Ruler of Subspace )
Fire Emblem: Three Houses Complete ( nirvanafan nirvanafan )
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (S) ( Linkmain-maybe Linkmain-maybe )
Persona 5 Royal (@Darkonedagger )

Fighting Games
Street Fighter II ( FazDude FazDude , Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule , Linkmain-maybe Linkmain-maybe ) (if this wins, a future job shall decide which version makes it into the collection)
Mortal Kombat 1992 ( Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario )
Fatal Fury Special ( tonygameman tonygameman )
Virtua Fighter ( Northsouthmap Northsouthmap )
Fighters Megamix (me)
Street Fighter III: Third Strike (@Darkonedagger )
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Super Smash Bros. Melee ( AlteredBeast AlteredBeast )
King of Fighters 2002 ( PastaRorroKuma PastaRorroKuma )
Mortal Kombat 2011 ( DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
Soul Calibur II HD Online ( nirvanafan nirvanafan )
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate ( Ruler of Subspace Ruler of Subspace )

If you're going to vote for mine or Wario's RPG submissions, please specify if you're voting for Pokemon Red and Blue or Pokemon Black and White.
If you're going to vote for DragonRobot or Wario's fighting game submissions, please specify if you're voting for Mortal Kombat 1992 or Mortal Kombat 2011.

You may vote for your top three in each job, just like last time.

1. Final Fantasy VII
2. Undertale
3. Chrono Trigger

1. Street Fighter II
2. Super Smash Bros. Melee
3. Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

The next job shall commence later tonight!

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
RPGs:

1. Pokemon Red and Blue
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Dragon Quest III

All really good choices.

Fighting Games:

1. Street Fighter II
2. Smash Melee
3. Marvel vs Capcom 2

Three fighting games that left the biggest mark on fighting game history as well as the competitive esports side of it as well.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Oh hell yea! I've been actually thinking for a long time about what games might be considered "essential" to the gaming experience rather than just good. Really interested to see how this thread pans out.

Also this is so incredibly hard to choose lol but tbh I assume a good chunk of these submissions will make it onto the final list.

RPGs
1. Chrono Trigger
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Dragon Quest XI

Fighting Games
1. Mortal Kombat (1992)
2. Super Smash Bros. Melee
3. Street Fighter II

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Voting has concluded!

Dragon Quest III: 1
Earthbound: 4
Chrono Trigger: 13
Pokemon Red and Blue: 12
Final Fantasy VII: 32
Skies of Arcadia: 2
Pokemon Black and White: 0
Dark Souls: 2
Undertale: 9
NieR Automata: 3
Fire Emblem: Three Houses Complete: 2
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (S): 2
Persona 5 Royal: 1

Street Fighter II: 33
Mortal Kombat 1992: 7
Fatal Fury Special: 2
Virtua Fighter: 2
Fighters Megamix: 1
Street Fighter III: Third Strike: 3
Marvel Vs Capcom 2: 6
Super Smash Bros. Melee: 20
King of Fighters 2002: 1
Mortal Kombat 2011: 2
Soul Calibur II HD Online: 2
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: 2

Please give it up to our winners and those who submitted them, Final Fantasy VII (by AlteredBeast AlteredBeast ) and Street Fighter II (by FazDude FazDude , Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule , and Linkmain-maybe Linkmain-maybe )!

Vote for the Street Fighter II variation below. Poll ends tomorrow for it!

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
JOB 5: Submit a horror game!

This is one of the most genius genres of videogames to exist - it's one thing to watch another human go through the most tragic and/or goriest experience of their life, and then it's another thing when you're the one peeking around doorways and scrounging for bullets. To celebrate Halloween being this month, please submit a game that fits into the horror genre, whether it be survival, psychological, or even a little goofy.

Now, onto the non-spooky job...

JOB 6: Submit achievements for Super Mario Bros!

The cool thing about a game collection like this is that we get to add little touch-ups to classic titles. Of course, we might do some of those for individual games down the line, but for now, let's focus on a universal addition to every game in the collection: achievements! You can make up to five, although you don't have to do that many. Should be at least sort of like the ones I've prepared below:

1. Fighting Fire With Fire: Defeated Bowser by using fireballs.
2. Mario Brothers Plumbing, Inc: Used the pipe shortcut to finish 1-1.
3. Final Countdown: Reach the flagpole with 10 seconds or less remaining.
4. Head in the Coulds: Defeated Lakitu.
5. Get A Life: Find the secret 1-UP Mushroom in 1-1.

(you don't have to give them a title if you don't want to)

Each game will have two achievments by default: one for beating the game, and one for completing it 100%, so those are already covered. Other than that, try to think outside the box. What kinds of achievements would be fun to hunt after, for both new and experienced gamers?

Unless I take issue with any of these in particular, each achievement posted will be added.

That's it for this one: you've got until Saturday to get your horror game submissions and SMB achievements in!

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Job 5

Five Nights at Freddy's

capsule_616x353.jpg

Technically, this game would double as a horror/indie game representative on this compilation. Basically, this is the game that gained a cult following and eventually spawned a whole media franchise. This game is well known for the use of its jump scares, dark lore, etc. It's quite recognizable. Therefore, for the funny hahas and the fact this franchise is still going strong with a movie coming out next year, Five Nights at Freddy's should join the compilation.

Job 6

1. Didn't Axe You! (Defeated Bowser by hitting the axe)
2. Pennyless Run (Did not get any coins within a level)
3. I'm Really Super Mario! (Did not get hit by any enemies)
4. The Mushroom Kingdom Conqueror (Defeated all enemies within a level)
5. Super Fast Way to Rescue the Princess, eh Luigi? (Beat the game in under 10 minutes with using shortcuts)

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
AlteredBeast beat me to the FNaF submission, so I guess I'll settle for the next best thing...

Horror Game: 3D Monster Maze

One of the granddaddies of "survival horror", whether it's scary today is a matter of opinion. That said, I think it's an interesting piece of gaming history and could be fun to have rereleased.

SMB1 Achievements
  • Welcome to Warp Zone! (Find a Warp Zone.)
  • Warp Zone Hunter (Find all of the Warp Zones in the game. This can be done across multiple playthroughs.)
  • Mario's Expert Express (Find the fastest route through the game: 1-1, 1-2, 4-1, 4-2, all of World 8)
  • Castle Celebration (Activate fireworks on any given level.)
  • Pacifist Plumber (Get through the game without killing any enemies aside from Bowsers.)

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I’ll submit Resident Evil 7

Resident Evil is one of the most popular and best selling series. I think 7 would be a good introduction to it given the plot and gameplay are pretty simple and despite how intense the story and its content are, it’s pretty easy to get into for new players. As an added cherry on top it does still have some references to the rest of the RE games which could get people interested in the rest of the series as well

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Job 5:Resident Evil 3:Nemesis

oops,wrong game

now it's better,is this the Real Resident Evil 3

Resident Evil 3 is a horror game developed by Capcom. well a horror game choice for this collection for me was hard,i don't know if i put a Silent hill game or a Resident Evil game, and i wanted to submit the other Resident Evil games that is the first game,the second one and the principally fourth one, but the third game is a good choice.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

resident_evil_4-1[1].jpg

Resident Evil 4
We've had a couple of Resi games submitted already, but I genuinely think Resi 4 deserves to be here. It's considered one of the greatest games ever made. While Resi 4 does have plenty of great scares, it's also pretty actony, making it more accessible for pepole who don't like as much horor.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Y'know, there probably is something to be said for dealing with the dozen different versions of SFII all at once being part of that classic gaming experience.

(Also I will submit in the morning.)

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Job #5

Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly

1664820410427.png

The Fatal Frame series is one of the most unique and enduring franchises in horror game history. There's often a discussion in horror media about the value of jumpscares versus suspenseful scares. Obviously, a more subtle moment of instilling fear in a viewer/player is seen as more respectable and clever, but a sudden serial killer running at you with a violin sting playing in the background is incredibly enthralling and important to the history of the genre. I pick Fatal Frame II because the Fatal Frame series provides both of those kinds of scares masterfully, with the creepy, haunted, abandoned settings and the attacking ghosts. The photography gameplay element is a bonus because of how unique it is in the genre, influencing a lot of first-person POV horror games for years to come. Fatal Frame II is usually considered the best in the series, so I went with that one for this job, but I'd be satisfied with any of the games in the series making the eventual final list.

Job #6

A Sacrifice I'm Willing to Make - Score an extra life by jumping on eight enemies in a row. (Using the Super Star will not count.)
Super Mario Bros. 2 - Defeat Bowser in the second quest.
Regular Mario Bros. - Complete the game without ever using a power-up.

(I can tell these achievements are gonna get wild for the more modern games.)

Top Bottom