• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: The Super Smash Bros of Another Universe!

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Okay, well here are the options for Job #130. Please vote for your top three most wanted in order. You can only vote for your own submission in second or third place.
Glubbfubb Glubbfubb Pitfall Harry
KingBooGengar57 KingBooGengar57 Knuckles
Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Rayman
cashregister9 cashregister9 Adol
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds Alex Kidd
@Darkonedagger Lara Croft
Speed Weed Speed Weed Harrier
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule Chun-Li
evanwoo10 evanwoo10 Frogger
Pupp135 Pupp135 Agumon
AlRex AlRex Marco Rossi
Yiptap Yiptap Hatsune Miku

My votes:
1. Harrier
2. Rayman
3. Chun Li
I definitely think since we have three sonic characters a character from another Sega property is practically a necessity at this point. Harrier would be almost a perfect choice for it IMO

AlRex

Smash Lord
Really tough choice here, I’ll go with my gut currently.
1. Lara Croft
2. Pitfall Harry
3. Agumon

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Here are the results of the Job #130 voting;
Pitfall Harry 3
Knuckles 3
Rayman 6
Adol 2
Alex Kidd 3
Lara Croft 15
Harrier 6
Chun-Li 4
Frogger 10
Agumon 2
Marco Rossi 0
Hatsune Miku 6
And so Lara Croft and Frogger will be added! Now onto the next job. This one will be a discussion and so the job after this will likely start soon:

Job #131: Say your thoughts on the roster and where we should expand on
If you would like to, I would like you to say what you think of the roster we have so far, and where you think we can improve. What do you think of the characters so far? Where can we improve? What types of characters should we add? Just give your opinion on those things if you would like.

Keep in mind that we have under ten spots for base-game newcomers.

Also just so everyone knows, I might change this thread a bit so that newcomer jobs come one job sooner than they do right now, because we’re starting to run out of space for assist trophies and items.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Thoughts on the roster:

1. Say I'm "having my cake and eating it too", but I find there's simultaniously way too much Nintendo and nowhere near enough Pokémon.
  2. Still no Sony reps is a tragedy
  3. Having both Clippy and Carmen Sandiego feels a little redundant, but it doesn't bother me
  4. Kinda lacking in the obscure characters mentioned on front page
  5. Still a lot of areas of gaming history missing representation, but overall a good, well rounded roster
  6. I may be biased but I think we could do with a few more platformer scrimblos.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Anyway, here's some music
  1. Setup and Kart Select - Mario Kart 64
  2. Rosalina's Ice World - Mario Kart 7
  3. Underground - Yoshi's Island
  4. Spring Yard Zone - Sonic the Hedgehog
  5. Star Light Zone - Sonic the Hedgehog
  6. Bridge Zone - Sonic the Hedgehog (8-Bit)
It also seems one of the Crash music submissions is missing it's song title.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I definitely think we need more obscure characters

I think we need broader and deeper Nintendo representation, Add more characters for series that already exist and add some more influential Nintendo franchises like Fire emblem.

Some more Genre and Era variety could also be good.

All in all though this roster is shaping up well.

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
Here are the results of the Job #130 voting;
Pitfall Harry 3
Knuckles 3
Rayman 6
Adol 2
Alex Kidd 3
Lara Croft 15
Harrier 6
Chun-Li 4
Frogger 10
Agumon 2
Marco Rossi 0
Hatsune Miku 6
And so Lara Croft and Frogger will be added! Now onto the next job. This one will be a discussion and so the job after this will likely start soon:

Job #131: Say your thoughts on the roster and where we should expand on
If you would like to, I would like you to say what you think of the roster we have so far, and where you think we can improve. What do you think of the characters so far? Where can we improve? What types of characters should we add? Just give your opinion on those things if you would like.

Keep in mind that we have under ten spots for base-game newcomers.

Also just so everyone knows, I might change this thread a bit so that newcomer jobs come one job sooner than they do right now, because we’re starting to run out of space for assist trophies and items.
Raising the limit on profiles and music for all series.
In addition, more Nintendo characters, obscure series, and increasing the "others" range. Sony reps too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think our roster is cool so far. Does a good job of representing video game history. We have some pretty big seires in there. GTA, Fallout, MK. And I think that's cool. There are still properties and characters we could add but I do think we do a good job of this. I agree that some weird and obscure picks would be neat, more Amingo style picks.

There are some picks I might not have made, for instance I don't think we needed three sonic characters on the base roster. But I don't think any of them are bad additions. That's just the nature of these creates threads.

Also some people may crucify me for this but some more Japanese or anime style characters would be neat. We have a lot of Scrimblo and gritty western style picks (which is not a bad thing!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Personally I feel like we should focus on obscure characters and adding more characters for represented companies. Like I said before when I voted for space harrier, I think sega for example, practically needs another character given it has three sonic reps. Another Valve character would be cool as well, with caution because I do feel like we’re starting to get a bit too many gun users.

Also, since a lot of people think we could use more obscure characters would everyone be fine with a future newcomer prompt being “submit an obscure character?”

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I'm okay with anything, I just think that we have too many "realistic humans" type characters its become TTL equivalent of too many anime swordfigters, I mean we have half life, tomb raider, castlevania, streetfighter, and GTA

D

Deleted member

I'm okay with anything, I just think that we have too many "realistic humans" type characters its become TTL equivalent of too many anime swordfigters, I mean we have half life, tomb raider, castlevania, streetfighter, and GTA
I dunno I feel those are pretty different. GTA and Half Life are pretty realistic looking but street fighter and castlevania are bordering on anime. I get what you are going for though. Some more variety would be neat

Last edited by a moderator:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I dunno I feel those are pretty different. GTA and Half Life are pretty realistic looking but street fighter and castlevania are bordering on anime. I get what you are going for though. Some more variety would be neat
Yeah I was hoping for soem more animal character

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Also, since a lot of people think we could use more obscure characters would everyone be fine with a future newcomer prompt being “submit an obscure character?”
I would be fine with it but I feel like some clarification on what obscure would mean in that instance, for example, Obviously obscure could entail niche franchises but would it also entail obscure characters in big franchises?

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I would be fine with it but I feel like some clarification on what obscure would mean in that instance, for example, Obviously obscure could entail niche franchises but would it also entail obscure characters in big franchises?
I consider obscure as like some left feild choices like Duck Hunt and Rob, we have some in the form of Clippy, I also consider franchises that havbt had a true entry outside of remakes like Spyro and Dylan as obscure as well

AlRex

Smash Lord
-The only new Nintendo characters I think we need left are Peach, Zelda, Ganon(dorf), and a new Pokémon. Those are the biggest series, even if they already have representation. The first three, even if they aren’t the main characters, are among the most iconic video game characters in total. Pokémon seems too big but I can’t decide on who else should be it. Gen 1 over-rep is sometimes a complaint in our timeline, but the most iconic options are mostly from there (Meowth, Mewtwo, Charizard, Blastoise, Eevee, etc.). I somewhat liked Mimikyu's submission in another round, but having the only other Pokémon character be based on Pikachu, even if just aesthetically, feels somewhat odd. I'm unsure whether they'd add Lucario nowadays, and his moveset options don't stand out as much compared to some other ones. Gardevoir, Heracross, Grovyle/Sceptile, and Greninja are alright options from later Gens, but I'm unsure which one has that extra iconic or important "oomph" behind them to be chosen.

-The only other CAPCOM characters I think should be added are Chun-Li (in spite of her losing polls a lot), and a Resident Evil character, likely Leon, Jill, or if you want to go an unconventional route, Nemesis or Lady Dimitrescu even. Dante would be alright, but there are other characters I’d prioritize above him.
-I think another SEGA rep would be cool, but if I had to choose, given the limited space, it’d be one from Shin Megami Tensei/Persona. That way we’re technically repping another company of sorts, and we’d have another RPG, and a fairly unique one over another fantasy/sword-type setting, as far as I can tell from their most likely picks.

-My preference for if Namco-Bandai gets another character is either Agumon, given Digimon is/was a Pokémon rival, it represents the Bandai side of the equation, and gives us one more type of gaming platform added (LCD handhelds). Either him and/or Yoshimitsu, as a dual rep for possibly Namco's biggest series besides Pac-Man, and two major fighting game series, Tekken and Soul Calibur. Other than that, I think a lot of Namco's other series are probably Assist or Cameo level, as much as I like Splatterhouse or think a Katamari moveset would be really fun.

-Square-Enix...I think FF and DQ cover their JRPG bases well. Lara's a very solid addition. Wouldn't be opposed to Sora, or another character you may have forgotten is owned by them, one of the only ones who's iconic enough to have a standard emoji (👾), the Space Invader(s)! I think if we added them, and Q*Bert, we'd have a lot of the biggest early arcade icons and titles represented, though it'd be understandable to prioritize other characters instead.

-The only other big platformer mascots I can think of to add are Rayman, Spyro, and one other one. They’d be fair additions, but again, I'd likely prioritize some other characters over them.

-Konami is another company I could note. Mainly here, if RE doesn't get added, Pyramid Head from Silent Hill's another good option for the genre. Other than him, maybe a Dance Dance Revolution character of some kind, or at least some kind of reference to that game should be included somewhere.

-Neo Geo/SNK should get at least one rep. Maybe we have enough gun users, so sadly not Marco/Metal Slug now, I think. Terry Bogard is basically the mascot of SNK and their fighting games in general, and he's who got in in our timeline, so that's probably it.

-Sony should get a few characters, probably. They're the other big console maker left, and there's nothing here, especially since we decided a while ago they should be on. Kratos, Ratchet & Clank or Sly Cooper, Parappa the Rapper, Sweet Tooth, or even Sack Boy, Cole MacGrath, or Kat would all be pretty good options.

-Valve could do with another, perhaps. Maybe Scout (TF2) or Chel (Portal). Especially a Portal moveset would be unique.

-I'm of half a mind on whether to put in Blizzard. They have big, influential games with fairly unique characters, but the recent controversies, and thinking a good few other characters should be prioritized over their major options.

-We have a decent amount of Western indie characters, so I think the next choice in the realm of indies should be a Japanese one, if we get back to that. Either Reimu Hakurei, since Touhou is huge and arguably sired a lot of the indie scene, plus a SHMUP rep is, again, unique, or Quote (Cave Story), though I understand if we're reluctant to put another gunner on.

-Obscure picks...I think we have our weird choices with Carmen and Clippy already, though I'm not against more. I think obscure characters should still represent something important with their inclusion, though. Commodore 64, LucasArts and Sierra, text adventures (somehow), and Spacewar (somehow) are the subjects that spring to my mind for this, though I'm sure others can think of different options.

Wow, this was a lot.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
-The only new Nintendo characters I think we need left are Peach, Zelda, Ganon(dorf), and a new Pokémon. Those are the biggest series, even if they already have representation. The first three, even if they aren’t the main characters, are among the most iconic video game characters in total. Pokémon seems too big but I can’t decide on who else should be it. Gen 1 over-rep is sometimes a complaint in our timeline, but the most iconic options are mostly from there (Meowth, Mewtwo, Charizard, Blastoise, Eevee, etc.). I somewhat liked Mimikyu's submission in another round, but having the only other Pokémon character be based on Pikachu, even if just aesthetically, feels somewhat odd. I'm unsure whether they'd add Lucario nowadays, and his moveset options don't stand out as much compared to some other ones. Gardevoir, Heracross, Grovyle/Sceptile, and Greninja are alright options from later Gens, but I'm unsure which one has that extra iconic or important "oomph" behind them to be chosen.

-The only other CAPCOM characters I think should be added are Chun-Li (in spite of her losing polls a lot), and a Resident Evil character, likely Leon, Jill, or if you want to go an unconventional route, Nemesis or Lady Dimitrescu even. Dante would be alright, but there are other characters I’d prioritize above him.
-I think another SEGA rep would be cool, but if I had to choose, given the limited space, it’d be one from Shin Megami Tensei/Persona. That way we’re technically repping another company of sorts, and we’d have another RPG, and a fairly unique one over another fantasy/sword-type setting, as far as I can tell from their most likely picks.

-My preference for if Namco-Bandai gets another character is either Agumon, given Digimon is/was a Pokémon rival, it represents the Bandai side of the equation, and gives us one more type of gaming platform added (LCD handhelds). Either him and/or Yoshimitsu, as a dual rep for possibly Namco's biggest series besides Pac-Man, and two major fighting game series, Tekken and Soul Calibur. Other than that, I think a lot of Namco's other series are probably Assist or Cameo level, as much as I like Splatterhouse or think a Katamari moveset would be really fun.

-Square-Enix...I think FF and DQ cover their JRPG bases well. Lara's a very solid addition. Wouldn't be opposed to Sora, or another character you may have forgotten is owned by them, one of the only ones who's iconic enough to have a standard emoji (👾), the Space Invader(s)! I think if we added them, and Q*Bert, we'd have a lot of the biggest early arcade icons and titles represented, though it'd be understandable to prioritize other characters instead.

-The only other big platformer mascots I can think of to add are Rayman, Spyro, and one other one. They’d be fair additions, but again, I'd likely prioritize some other characters over them.

-Konami is another company I could note. Mainly here, if RE doesn't get added, Pyramid Head from Silent Hill's another good option for the genre. Other than him, maybe a Dance Dance Revolution character of some kind, or at least some kind of reference to that game should be included somewhere.

-Neo Geo/SNK should get at least one rep. Maybe we have enough gun users, so sadly not Marco/Metal Slug now, I think. Terry Bogard is basically the mascot of SNK and their fighting games in general, and he's who got in in our timeline, so that's probably it.

-Sony should get a few characters, probably. They're the other big console maker left, and there's nothing here, especially since we decided a while ago they should be on. Kratos, Ratchet & Clank or Sly Cooper, Parappa the Rapper, Sweet Tooth, or even Sack Boy, Cole MacGrath, or Kat would all be pretty good options.

-Valve could do with another, perhaps. Maybe Scout (TF2) or Chel (Portal). Especially a Portal moveset would be unique.

-I'm of half a mind on whether to put in Blizzard. They have big, influential games with fairly unique characters, but the recent controversies, and thinking a good few other characters should be prioritized over their major options.

-We have a decent amount of Western indie characters, so I think the next choice in the realm of indies should be a Japanese one, if we get back to that. Either Reimu Hakurei, since Touhou is huge and arguably sired a lot of the indie scene, plus a SHMUP rep is, again, unique, or Quote (Cave Story), though I understand if we're reluctant to put another gunner on.

-Obscure picks...I think we have our weird choices with Carmen and Clippy already, though I'm not against more. I think obscure characters should still represent something important with their inclusion, though. Commodore 64, LucasArts and Sierra, text adventures (somehow), and Spacewar (somehow) are the subjects that spring to my mind for this, though I'm sure others can think of different options.

Wow, this was a lot.
In terms of Nintendo I cant belive I'm saying this bit maybe add some fire emblem, it's pretty popular despite its repsetation in smash, the Miis are good choices as well, Gardevoir is an iconic character in the pokemon franchise (for better or worse) and we havnt got a phycic yet

Capcom should focus on either a different incarnation of a established franchise (Zero), Yiun Kut Ku or Palico would be good choices as well

Sega should use either Nights or someone from Yakuza or Virtua Fighter, maybe Hornet

Sony reps should be a priority for our next job, Sly and or Sackboy would be good picks with Knack making a good assists trophy

We definitely need a TF2 character, maybe the Heavy or Medic

EA and Actividion Blizzard are no no, Crash, Peashooter, and Spyro would still be good picks

We need an Atari Rep to represent the 2600 era

And that's my opnion

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Sega should use either Nights or someone from Yakuza or Virtua Fighter, maybe Hornet
I'm a big proponent of us getting a non-Sonic SEGA rep in here, but I don't really get why NiGHTS should be the pick.

I like NiGHTS, they have their place in SEGA history, I just don't see why they of all people should be the other SEGA pick we go for. Again, I'm 100% in favor of us adding a different SEGA franchise, but.....why NiGHTS?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I'm a big proponent of us getting a non-Sonic SEGA rep in here, but I don't really get why NiGHTS should be the pick.

I like NiGHTS, they have their place in SEGA history, I just don't see why they of all people should be the other SEGA pick we go for. Again, I'm 100% in favor of us adding a different SEGA franchise, but.....why NiGHTS?
Does NiGHTS even have any abilities? I guess it'd be fun to make an original moveset, but I don't really see a reason for him over other retro picks like say, Bug or Ristar.

AlRex

Smash Lord
Glubbfubb Glubbfubb
Fire Emblem, I would put on the same level as StarFox or F-Zero, especially if we’re considering that it hasn’t appeared in Smash at all in this timeline where Smash didn’t exist before this. It’s decently recognized, but it’s pretty obviously not as iconic, popular, or influential as Mario, Zelda, or Pokémon, and I’d say Donkey Kong, Metroid, and Kirby dip enough into those pools for secondary Nintendo series already in. If I were adding another series to this line-up, I’d put Animal Crossing or Miis/Wii, but I can also see those in a more secondary role.

CAPCOM…Zero is cool, but he is not quite as iconic and well-known as Chun-Li. Perhaps I’m overusing those phrases, but these factors are fairly important to consider. I’d also say Resident Evil is more of a genre-defining game series with wider exposure in more countries than Monster Hunter, and has more distinctive characters to use. If we don’t want to use another gunner, a monster villain seems like another good option.

SEGA, I’d say if they get two more characters, it should be an Atlus one and one that represents their arcade legacy in some way, since they were big innovators in that field.

TF2 seems alright, I’d flip a coin on whether or not it or Portal should be in, though like I said, I think the Portal moveset could be more unique, if complicated to figure out.

Sony, EA, Activision, Atari, I pretty well agree. Pitfall Harry falls under those last two, go figure.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I feel that the roster and content that we have is pretty good so far, and I do like the variety of our current roster along with some weird picks like Clippy.
For things that I’d like to see without bias, I’d say that another Pokemon character would be a good addition due to the franchise’s variety and popularity. Also, I’d like to see Sony characters like Kratos on the roster since Sony is one of the big 3 for consoles.
Outside of characters, I am shocked to see no Animal Crossing (I don’t expect one to be playable, but I feel like an assist would be a good way to incorporate it) or CoD content since these franchises are really popular.
Edit: I forgot that Resident Evil doesn’t have a character, which is a franchise that I could see get something.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Oh my god, that's right, we still don't have any RE characters! Yeah no that's definitely something we should rectify at some point

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
Oh my god I looked up a few music from frogger to add and I found out theres a frogger rap this is terrible it's hilarious
Anyways:

Job #132: Submit A Stage For Doom Slayer
Submit a stage from Doom. Please submit the location and the layout along with any hazards.
MAP30: Icon of Sin
Players are on a multi-tiered arena with multiple floors, the Icon of Sin occassionally shoots spawn cubes at them that spawn Imps, Cacodemons, or Barons of Hell at random and with a three-monster limit.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Doom: Hangar
The Hangar stage has the players become Doomguy - as in, literally gain his POV and watch the fighters from it. Rendered in early 90s real-time CG glory (but unfortunately not gory - age ratings!) you fight mostly unphased as Doomguy walks through the hangar and takes out demons without you needing to do anything or moving in or out of view, similar to the spinning on Spiral Mountain. If Doomguy runs past a wall, that creates a wall to throw foes into. If Doomguy walks up stairs, the blast zone is lower for a bit. If Doomguy stands in poison, everyone gets a bit of damage. If a demon attacks - look out! The gun is not shown, but you can get the impression from the way the demons flinch and the associated sound effects. Just like Mushroomy Kingdom, this is a near 1-1 recreation. Doomguy moves and attacks quite slow so it's not too frantic.

Last edited:
Stage Submittion:
Hell on Earth (Doom)

The stage would be medium and it would have 4 Platforms as Buliding Roofs. Also, they can be Destructive like SkyWorld platforms and the building can crumble down by anytime.
The Hazards are Flying Cacodemons, Barons of Hell, Pinkies and Imps that attack players. Also, there is Cameo of Spider MasterMind in Background, who is minding his business.
(The aesthetic of Stage is based on Doom Eternal)

Top Bottom