• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates Sonic: The Champions! (Action Figure submissions!)

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I'm going to start the discussion job while voting is going on.

Discussion Period: What should our side collectible(s) be?
Most Smash games have Trophies. Ultimate has Spirits. The AGES thread has Capsule Toys. Rivals has Runes. Some of these may be tied to specific modes, or just are unlocked randomly. While not every platfighter has a side collectible for players to find, I think we should have something that can be constantly contributed to without worry of voting, deconfirmation, or anything like that. So, what would you guys want to have? What're your ideas?

FazDude

Smash Master
I'm going to start the discussion job while voting is going on.

Discussion Period: What should our side collectible(s) be?
Most Smash games have Trophies. Ultimate has Spirits. The AGES thread has Capsule Toys. Rivals has Runes. Some of these may be tied to specific modes, or just are unlocked randomly. While not every platfighter has a side collectible for players to find, I think we should have something that can be constantly contributed to without worry of voting, deconfirmation, or anything like that. So, what would you guys want to have? What're your ideas?
I think it'd be cool to have to have cards as a side collectible in reference to Sonic Rivals. They could feature artwork of a character and a brief word on their history.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Discussion period

When it comes to collectibles I think it's a core part of the Smash style experience. The downside is Sonic doesn't have anything particularly obvious IMO like Shenmue having the capsule toys.

The cards idea could work because of Rivals, and Shuffle both using cards.

However I'd like to pitch an alternative idea if I may:

Emblems

sonic-2-covid-logo.jpg

These iconic emblems will feature a Sonic character performing a little animation where they pop up although instead of just Sonic's name it'd read the name of the character.

These would include a biography of course.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
My proposition: Action Figures

These would be action figures of classic versions of the characters. They'd come with a "product description" that describes their personality and powers in an over-enthusiastic tone like that of an advert.

There's also a gallery mode that lets you pose them and put them on display or even animate them in a simple way, a bit like MMD! Kill the part of you that fears cringe and let your creativity go wild!

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Okay this is probably a stretch but

Collectible Animals that represent real animals as well as sonic characters that can be used in a Chao Garden

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Okay this is probably a stretch but

Collectible Animals that represent real animals as well as sonic characters that can be used in a Chao Garden
Okay, for sure keep the Chao Garden in mind. I would love to be able to bring that back for Champions. I'm not sure if I should allow a whole new mode to be created for the side collectible discussion job, though. (Come to think of it, Chao could work great as Spirit replacements!)

Discussion period

When it comes to collectibles I think it's a core part of the Smash style experience. The downside is Sonic doesn't have anything particularly obvious IMO like Shenmue having the capsule toys.

The cards idea could work because of Rivals, and Shuffle both using cards.

However I'd like to pitch an alternative idea if I may:

Emblems

View attachment 350397

These iconic emblems will feature a Sonic character performing a little animation where they pop up although instead of just Sonic's name it'd read the name of the character.

These would include a biography of course.

These would be action figures of classic versions of the characters. They'd come with a "product description" that describes their personality and powers in an over-enthusiastic tone like that of an advert.

There's also a gallery mode that lets you pose them and put them on display or even animate them in a simple way, a bit like MMD! Kill the part of you that fears cringe and let your creativity go wild!
I love these ideas so much and equally (YoshiandToad's for the series significance and Wario Wario Wario's for the creativity potential and possibility of having official classic versions of modern characters like Shadow and Blaze) that I really hope there's some way of being able to combine them somehow. Maybe whenever you unlock an Action Figure, the Emblem animation plays, and the Action Figures appear as Emblems in menus and such, like in a gallery of your overall collection (with the Gallery Mode WWW proposed being renamed to something like "Studio").

Also, a quick shoutout to FazDude FazDude 's submission - I think cards would work GREAT as a replacement for custom moves from Smash 4. Would be closer to how they originally functioned in Sonic Battle.

90's newcomer voting will close tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Fang: 16
Big: 6
Witchcart: 1
Mighty: 6
Ray: 1
Metal: 23
Espio: 1
Vector: 15
Chaos: 3

I like how he's just kinda floatin' there in this art.
It was neck and neck between the sniper and the robot for quite some time, but with the final results, the one, true Metal Sonic will be joining the cast of Sonic: The Champions! The mechanical copy of Sonic is the first Eggman robot we've added to the game, though I am certain he won't be the last.

Submit a moveset for Metal Sonic

There's quite a bit you can do with this guy! Superspeed, electric beams, exhaust explosions, flight, jet engines, on and on. Do not include a Final Smash just yet, though, same goes for taunts or any additional animations.

Submit taunts/victory animations for the main trio!

We will get around to the side collectible job very soon, this is just something I think we should get out of the way first - planning everything out for the main trio of characters! Please 3 taunts and/or three victory animations each for however many members of Team Sonic you want. We'll decide later whether or not to have individualized victory songs or just one universal victory song.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team

Metal Sonic is a character who can be similar to Sonic in some respects, but trades some of his ground speed for increased air speed and control. Due to floating for movement though, it takes a while for him to stop, so to brake (almost) on a dime, you'll have to flick the stick in the opposite direction of where you are currently going.

Notable Normals: Many of Metal's normal attacks involve him utilizing his claws to slash at opponents. His claws are actually a disjoint at the tip, so they're fairly safe to approach with. Metal also utilizes short, quick lasers and electrical bursts or zaps. His neutral air is pretty much SSBU Mewtwo's and some of his grounded normals are borrowed from MvC Wolverine.

Grab & Throws: Metal Sonic fades slightly into the background, hooking himself up to a slot in a machine fit for him, as Silver Sonic (from 8-bit Sonic 2) comes in from offscreen and uses its long, spindly arm to wrap up the opponent. If it misses, the Silver Sonic falls face-first to the ground and despawns, while Metal comes back into the foreground, looking down slightly. If it succeeds, the throws involve Silver Sonic just tossing the opponent and then flying off, occasionally with Metal popping in early to deliver a follow-up attack.

Neutral B: Plasma Pulse Laser
Yellow energy charges up in Metal's chest, before he delivers a medium-range laser from it that deals a fair amount of damage and knockback. The best part, though, is that if used in the air, this attack can greatly increase Metal's momentum or even shift it entirely by changing stick direction mid charge. The momentum thing is kind of like how Corrin's bair functions, but to a greater extent.

Side B: Head-On Assault
Metal Sonic surrounds himself with electricity as his body color shifts between blue and yellow, and he charges forward headfirst. This is a decent kill option if you just manage to hit someone with it, however, this a very unique move in that it is a two-way move. If the opponent runs towards Metal when he uses this move, the pair will be head-to-head in a deadlock, with the camera zooming in during 1v1 fights to call the Sonic OVA fight to mind. Whoever is the better masher in this exchange will stay put, and whoever isn't will be launched much further than if Metal just used the move without the deadlock part of it. This move is pretty strange, isn't it? Metal cannot cancel this Side B while it is in the deadlock animation, unlike most other moves from every character.

Down B: Black Shield
A move that makes heavy use of Metal's decreased traction. When activated, Metal puts on his invincible Black Shield from the Sonic Adventure 2 Multiplayer mode, and opponents who attack it will have a lot more hitstop on their animations (basically meaning they get paused for a few frames while Metal doesn't). If he's currently in motion, the Black Shield will not stop him, instead he'll travel while invincible. It's a pretty good approach option against overaggressive campers.

Up B: Biodata Copied
A crosshair appears on the nearest opponent to Metal, it looks like a slighlty more mechanical version of the Homing Attack crosshair from Colors Ultimate. After a short period of time, Metal will use the Up B of that character. So yeah, if we have a character with a not-so-great Up B somewhere down the line (maybe like Honey or something?), then they would for sure be an interesting matchup for Metal Sonic.

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Sorry I'm late!

Metal Sonic Moveset
  • Neutral Special: Plasma Pulse Attack
    • Pretty much the same thing as what Janx suggested; Metal Sonic charges up before firing an energy blast from his chest - the charge of the move determines its size and power. It'd also have similar momentum manipulation properties.
  • Side Special: Maximum Overdrive
    • Metal Sonic coats himself in electricity before blasting forwards, launching opponents in his path.
  • Up Special: Jet Blast
    • Metal Sonic propels himself upwards with his jets, giving him a decent recovery while not putting him into freefall (although he cannot use any of his specials until he hits the ground again).
  • Down Special: Black Shield
    • Again, this is very similar to Janx's submission, with Metal Sonic forming the shield around him as he continues his momentum, becoming an invincible hitbox.
Sonic Taunts
  • Up: Sonic does a backflip before landing in his iconic finger wagging pose.
  • Side: Sonic runs in place, resembling the Super Peel Out from Sonic CD.
  • Down: Sonic breakdances.
Sonic Victory Animations
  • Sonic runs onto the stage before skidding to a stop and giving the camera a thumbs-up with his back turned. This combines his victory animations from Sonic Advance 1 and 2, with some inspiration from Sonic 06.
  • Sonic performs a breakdance before jumping to his feet and posing. The breakdance is taken from Sonic Generations, while Sonic's ending pose is his victory pose from Sonic Adventure.
  • A lone Goal Post is seen bearing Dr. Eggman's mug. Sonic then whizzes by it, causing it to flip over to a portrait of himself, who winks at the camera.
Tails Taunts
  • Up: Tails hovers in the air for a moment with his tails, waving at the camera before landing.
  • Side: Tails does a spin before posing, resembling his victory animation from Sonic Mania.
  • Down: Tails fiddles with the Miles Electric.
Tails Victory Animations
  • Tails takes flight, flying around before approaching the camera with a double thumbs-up, resembling his victory animation from Sonic Heroes.
  • Tails lands on the floor and poses with his hands on his hips, resembling his victory animation from Sonic Adventure.
  • Tails flies by in the Tornado, waving to the camera before flying out of sight.
Knuckles Taunts
  • Up: Knuckles raises a fist aggressively.
  • Side: Knuckles shadowboxes. In a similar vein to Kazuya's side taunt, this taunt can actually damage opponents.
  • Down: Knuckles chuckles. I'm only human. I had to put this in.
Knuckles Victory Animations
  • Knuckles leaps out of the ground, landing with his fist planted into the ground.
  • Knuckles shadowboxes before posing.
  • Knuckles rests in front of the Master Emerald, sitting down with a content look on his face.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Sonic Taunts:
  • Up: Sonic eats a Chilli Dog whilst staring at the camera and tapping his foot impatiently
  • Side: Sonic performs the Super Peel Out (I know it's the same as FazDude's but it really is a great taunt)
  • Down: Sonic flips a Chaos Emerald in his hand cockily, wagging his finger with the other hand.
Sonic Victories:
  • Sonic races past a goalpost sign which spins changing it from Eggman to Sonic's face. He then leans on it casually when it stops spinning. "Too Easy"
  • Sonic lands on a capsule releasing dozens of Flickies. He stands atop the capsule watching them escape with a cocky smile on his face.
  • We witness a bunch of badniks get broken open by Sonic, releasing the animal buddies within, with Sonic landing out of his homing attack in front of the camera doing his finger wag.
Tails Taunts:
  • Up: Tails plays skip rope with his two tails.
  • Side: Tails brings out the Miles Electric and becomes engrossed in his calculations
  • Down: Tails whips out a wrench and begins tinkering with his back turned to the camera, and whips out one of the following: Buddy Bot (Sonic Boom), Remote Robot (Tails Adventure), Miles Electric (Sonic Unleashed), an Emerald Detector (Sonic Riders) or a fake Chaos Emerald (Sonic Adventure 2).
Tails Victories:
  • Tails flies through the sky in the Tornado before leaping out and performing his Sonic 3 ending pose alongside four Flickies referencing Super Tails.
  • Tails sits in his Cyclone walker smiling cockily as he presses a button, causing it to shoot out several missiles that fly into the sky. The explode into a fireworks explosion that looks like Tails with the words 'Tails wins'
  • Tails is tinkering with the Miles Electric in his workshop with many of his past vehicles and inventions in the background (the Sea Fox, the Lunar Fox, the Tornado, the cyclone walker, the chao walker, etc). He notices the player 'come in' and waves to them picking up the incomplete Miles Electric which promptly explodes on him, causing him to be comically covered in soot. He shakes himself off smiling embarrasedly and returns to tinker with the invention.
Knuckles Taunts:
  • Up: Bashes his fists together with a determined face
  • Side: Whips out the Master Emerald, keeping it safely on him at all times, whilst looking around paranoid. Inspired by the Sonic Mania shorts.
  • Down: Tunnels underground briefly before returning with a Master Emerald shard. He puts it away.
Knuckles Victories:
  • Knuckles is sat alone on Angel Island atop the Master Emerald. He looks around before relaxing atop it.
  • Knuckles is seen scaling a wall rapidly. Upon reaching the top he looks out to survey a beautiful sunset.
  • The victory screen is a dark tomb, with Knuckles coming across a shard of the Master Emerald. He picks it up happily whilst King Boom Boo materialises behind him. Knuckles looks behind him, and King Boom Boo disappears as Knuckles returns to look happily at the shard. King Boom Boo will reappearing on Knuckles other side, causing him to look that way before the ghost disappears, and rinse and repeat.
SPECIAL TEAM VICTORIES.
Because honestly this is just a cool idea I want to pitch. Feel free to ignore if you think it's too much work.

Sonic + Tails
  • Sonic and Tails hi five, transforming into the 'giant rolling attack' from Sonic 4: Episode II, smashing through some badniks before seperating. Tails catches Sonic mid air before the two both land, fist bumping.
  • Tails has a welding mask on as Sonic zips back and forth over each of Tails shoulders. Tails stops welding and removes the mask, looking mildly bemused by Sonic's impatience. Sonic smiles back and Tails rolls his eyes as he picks up what he was working on; a chilli dog, handing it to Sonic who proceeds to munch it down whilst Tails smiles.
  • Sonic and Tails perform the Sonic 2 title screen animation, emblem and all.
Sonic + Knuckles
  • Sonic dodges back as Knuckles shadow boxes against him, the two smiling as the perform a friendly spar, before standing back to back.
  • Sonic goes for a fist bump, and Knuckles knocks him flying accidentally with his strength. Knuckles looks as surprised as Sonic.
  • Sonic relaxes atop the Master Emerald whilst Knuckles yells at him angrilly and animated, Sonic enjoying winding his buddy up.
Tails + Knuckles
  • Tails and Knuckles fly and glide through the sky together waving to one another as they do so.
  • Tails and Knuckles celebrate a victory over the opponent with Knuckles throwing Tails into the air a few times to celebrate. On the third time Knuckles puts his all into it and Tails doesn't return back down. Knuckles looks up into the air peering and looking slightly worried.
  • Tails in a mecha suit arm wrestles against Knuckles with the two coming to a draw. Tails's suit seems to be overheating though whilst Knuckles is relatively fine.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Sonic Taunts:
1. Sonic runs in place like in CD, saying "You're Too Slow!"
2. Sonic breakdances and says, "C'mon, step it up!"
3. Sonic slicks his hair back like a mohawk, before shaking his head and ridding himself of it.

Sonic Victory Animations:
1. Sonic runs by a signpost with a 16-bit Eggman on it. When the sign stops spinning, a 3D model of Sonic pops out a gives a thumbs up. (The Sonic who originally ran past is gone now)
2. Sonic is seen surfing on a Buzz Bomber from above before sending it into the ground, breaking free the Cucky inside of it, who dances around Sonic as he admires it.
3. Sonic has his back turned away from the camera, looking agitated and tapping his foot on the ground. When he does notice the camera, he wags a finger, says "I'm outta here!" and jumps offscreen like in CD, leaving the victory area entirely.

Tails Taunts:
1. Tails uses his asscopter twin tails as a fan to dry his fur.
2. Tails fists bump the air, like his win animation in the Classic Sonic games.
3. Tails turns toward the camera and yawns.

Tails Victory Animations:
1. Tails lowers to the ground from flying, and after landing, does his win animation from Sonic Mania by spinning around a placing a fist in front of him.
2. We see a starry night sky with a constellation of Tails - but Tails soon flies in on the tornado and strikes a pose as he flies by and the camera follows him.
3. Tails is fixing his Miles Electric with the circuit board out and tools surrounding him, and looks ecstatic when he seems to have mended the issue.

Knuckles Taunts:
1. Knuckles punches his fists together tauntingly.
2. Knuckles crosses his arms and chuckles.
3. A red orb appears and spins around Knuckles, not unlike Navi in some of Link's previous taunts. Knuckles nearly gets knocked off balance from surprise.

Knuckles Victory Animations:
1. A red blur is seen falling from the top of the screen and into the ground. Knuckles emerges from his burrowing a few seconds later, giving a thumbs up as his head pokes out and holding a Chaos Emerald in the other hand.
2. Knuckles sits atop the Master Emerald, meditating.
3. Knuckles glides onscreen and smiles at the camera - but he is then hit by his own victory plate and falls to the ground, flat on his back like in S3&K.

YoshiandToad YoshiandToad sounds fun, let's include it! Along with our next job, it's going to be pretty cool to have multiple things to contribute to at any given time. (though I will only allow characters who have both had their victory animations done, and there will be a limit of 3 to match your precedent). I don't think anyone would object to how awesome your choices for the main three are, even if they are a bit lengthy - but I guess that will be something unique to our game, having longer victory animations than a lot of other platfighters. I'll add them in unless anyone submits an alternate list in the next hour and in that case we'll have a vote for those as well.

Submissions will remain open for another hour since I've been delaying ending them so long.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Wow, that was a long hour! Anyways...

Metal Sonic is a character who can be similar to Sonic in some respects, but trades some of his ground speed for increased air speed and control. Due to floating for movement though, it takes a while for him to stop, so to brake (almost) on a dime, you'll have to flick the stick in the opposite direction of where you are currently going.

Notable Normals: Many of Metal's normal attacks involve him utilizing his claws to slash at opponents. His claws are actually a disjoint at the tip, so they're fairly safe to approach with. Metal also utilizes short, quick lasers and electrical bursts or zaps. His neutral air is pretty much SSBU Mewtwo's and some of his grounded normals are borrowed from MvC Wolverine.

Grab & Throws: Metal Sonic fades slightly into the background, hooking himself up to a slot in a machine fit for him, as Silver Sonic (from 8-bit Sonic 2) comes in from offscreen and uses its long, spindly arm to wrap up the opponent. If it misses, the Silver Sonic falls face-first to the ground and despawns, while Metal comes back into the foreground, looking down slightly. If it succeeds, the throws involve Silver Sonic just tossing the opponent and then flying off, occasionally with Metal popping in early to deliver a follow-up attack.

Neutral B: Plasma Pulse Laser
Yellow energy charges up in Metal's chest, before he delivers a medium-range laser from it that deals a fair amount of damage and knockback. The best part, though, is that if used in the air, this attack can greatly increase Metal's momentum or even shift it entirely by changing stick direction mid charge. The momentum thing is kind of like how Corrin's bair functions, but to a greater extent.

Side B: Head-On Assault
Metal Sonic surrounds himself with electricity as his body color shifts between blue and yellow, and he charges forward headfirst. This is a decent kill option if you just manage to hit someone with it, however, this a very unique move in that it is a two-way move. If the opponent runs towards Metal when he uses this move, the pair will be head-to-head in a deadlock, with the camera zooming in during 1v1 fights to call the Sonic OVA fight to mind. Whoever is the better masher in this exchange will stay put, and whoever isn't will be launched much further than if Metal just used the move without the deadlock part of it. This move is pretty strange, isn't it? Metal cannot cancel this Side B while it is in the deadlock animation, unlike most other moves from every character.

Down B: Black Shield
A move that makes heavy use of Metal's decreased traction. When activated, Metal puts on his invincible Black Shield from the Sonic Adventure 2 Multiplayer mode, and opponents who attack it will have a lot more hitstop on their animations (basically meaning they get paused for a few frames while Metal doesn't). If he's currently in motion, the Black Shield will not stop him, instead he'll travel while invincible. It's a pretty good approach option against overaggressive campers.

Up B: Biodata Copied
A crosshair appears on the nearest opponent to Metal, it looks like a slighlty more mechanical version of the Homing Attack crosshair from Colors Ultimate. After a short period of time, Metal will use the Up B of that character. So yeah, if we have a character with a not-so-great Up B somewhere down the line (maybe like Honey or something?), then they would for sure be an interesting matchup for Metal Sonic.
Sorry I'm late!

Metal Sonic Moveset
  • Neutral Special: Plasma Pulse Attack
    • Pretty much the same thing as what Janx suggested; Metal Sonic charges up before firing an energy blast from his chest - the charge of the move determines its size and power. It'd also have similar momentum manipulation properties.
  • Side Special: Maximum Overdrive
    • Metal Sonic coats himself in electricity before blasting forwards, launching opponents in his path.
  • Up Special: Jet Blast
    • Metal Sonic propels himself upwards with his jets, giving him a decent recovery while not putting him into freefall (although he cannot use any of his specials until he hits the ground again).
  • Down Special: Black Shield
    • Again, this is very similar to Janx's submission, with Metal Sonic forming the shield around him as he continues his momentum, becoming an invincible hitbox.
Sonic Taunts
  • Up: Sonic does a backflip before landing in his iconic finger wagging pose.
  • Side: Sonic runs in place, resembling the Super Peel Out from Sonic CD.
  • Down: Sonic breakdances.
Sonic Victory Animations
  • Sonic runs onto the stage before skidding to a stop and giving the camera a thumbs-up with his back turned. This combines his victory animations from Sonic Advance 1 and 2, with some inspiration from Sonic 06.
  • Sonic performs a breakdance before jumping to his feet and posing. The breakdance is taken from Sonic Generations, while Sonic's ending pose is his victory pose from Sonic Adventure.
  • A lone Goal Post is seen bearing Dr. Eggman's mug. Sonic then whizzes by it, causing it to flip over to a portrait of himself, who winks at the camera.
Tails Taunts
  • Up: Tails hovers in the air for a moment with his tails, waving at the camera before landing.
  • Side: Tails does a spin before posing, resembling his victory animation from Sonic Mania.
  • Down: Tails fiddles with the Miles Electric.
Tails Victory Animations
  • Tails takes flight, flying around before approaching the camera with a double thumbs-up, resembling his victory animation from Sonic Heroes.
  • Tails lands on the floor and poses with his hands on his hips, resembling his victory animation from Sonic Adventure.
  • Tails flies by in the Tornado, waving to the camera before flying out of sight.
Knuckles Taunts
  • Up: Knuckles raises a fist aggressively.
  • Side: Knuckles shadowboxes. In a similar vein to Kazuya's side taunt, this taunt can actually damage opponents.
  • Down: Knuckles chuckles. I'm only human. I had to put this in.
Knuckles Victory Animations
  • Knuckles leaps out of the ground, landing with his fist planted into the ground.
  • Knuckles shadowboxes before posing.
  • Knuckles rests in front of the Master Emerald, sitting down with a content look on his face.
Sonic Taunts:
  • Up: Sonic eats a Chilli Dog whilst staring at the camera and tapping his foot impatiently
  • Side: Sonic performs the Super Peel Out (I know it's the same as FazDude's but it really is a great taunt)
  • Down: Sonic flips a Chaos Emerald in his hand cockily, wagging his finger with the other hand.
Sonic Victories:
  • Sonic races past a goalpost sign which spins changing it from Eggman to Sonic's face. He then leans on it casually when it stops spinning. "Too Easy"
  • Sonic lands on a capsule releasing dozens of Flickies. He stands atop the capsule watching them escape with a cocky smile on his face.
  • We witness a bunch of badniks get broken open by Sonic, releasing the animal buddies within, with Sonic landing out of his homing attack in front of the camera doing his finger wag.
Tails Taunts:
  • Up: Tails plays skip rope with his two tails.
  • Side: Tails brings out the Miles Electric and becomes engrossed in his calculations
  • Down: Tails whips out a wrench and begins tinkering with his back turned to the camera, and whips out one of the following: Buddy Bot (Sonic Boom), Remote Robot (Tails Adventure), Miles Electric (Sonic Unleashed), an Emerald Detector (Sonic Riders) or a fake Chaos Emerald (Sonic Adventure 2).
Tails Victories:
  • Tails flies through the sky in the Tornado before leaping out and performing his Sonic 3 ending pose alongside four Flickies referencing Super Tails.
  • Tails sits in his Cyclone walker smiling cockily as he presses a button, causing it to shoot out several missiles that fly into the sky. The explode into a fireworks explosion that looks like Tails with the words 'Tails wins'
  • Tails is tinkering with the Miles Electric in his workshop with many of his past vehicles and inventions in the background (the Sea Fox, the Lunar Fox, the Tornado, the cyclone walker, the chao walker, etc). He notices the player 'come in' and waves to them picking up the incomplete Miles Electric which promptly explodes on him, causing him to be comically covered in soot. He shakes himself off smiling embarrasedly and returns to tinker with the invention.
Knuckles Taunts:
  • Up: Bashes his fists together with a determined face
  • Side: Whips out the Master Emerald, keeping it safely on him at all times, whilst looking around paranoid. Inspired by the Sonic Mania shorts.
  • Down: Tunnels underground briefly before returning with a Master Emerald shard. He puts it away.
Knuckles Victories:
  • Knuckles is sat alone on Angel Island atop the Master Emerald. He looks around before relaxing atop it.
  • Knuckles is seen scaling a wall rapidly. Upon reaching the top he looks out to survey a beautiful sunset.
  • The victory screen is a dark tomb, with Knuckles coming across a shard of the Master Emerald. He picks it up happily whilst King Boom Boo materialises behind him. Knuckles looks behind him, and King Boom Boo disappears as Knuckles returns to look happily at the shard. King Boom Boo will reappearing on Knuckles other side, causing him to look that way before the ghost disappears, and rinse and repeat.
SPECIAL TEAM VICTORIES.
Because honestly this is just a cool idea I want to pitch. Feel free to ignore if you think it's too much work.

Sonic + Tails
  • Sonic and Tails hi five, transforming into the 'giant rolling attack' from Sonic 4: Episode II, smashing through some badniks before seperating. Tails catches Sonic mid air before the two both land, fist bumping.
  • Tails has a welding mask on as Sonic zips back and forth over each of Tails shoulders. Tails stops welding and removes the mask, looking mildly bemused by Sonic's impatience. Sonic smiles back and Tails rolls his eyes as he picks up what he was working on; a chilli dog, handing it to Sonic who proceeds to munch it down whilst Tails smiles.
  • Sonic and Tails perform the Sonic 2 title screen animation, emblem and all.
Sonic + Knuckles
  • Sonic dodges back as Knuckles shadow boxes against him, the two smiling as the perform a friendly spar, before standing back to back.
  • Sonic goes for a fist bump, and Knuckles knocks him flying accidentally with his strength. Knuckles looks as surprised as Sonic.
  • Sonic relaxes atop the Master Emerald whilst Knuckles yells at him angrilly and animated, Sonic enjoying winding his buddy up.
Tails + Knuckles
  • Tails and Knuckles fly and glide through the sky together waving to one another as they do so.
  • Tails and Knuckles celebrate a victory over the opponent with Knuckles throwing Tails into the air a few times to celebrate. On the third time Knuckles puts his all into it and Tails doesn't return back down. Knuckles looks up into the air peering and looking slightly worried.
  • Tails in a mecha suit arm wrestles against Knuckles with the two coming to a draw. Tails's suit seems to be overheating though whilst Knuckles is relatively fine.
Sonic Taunts:
1. Sonic runs in place like in CD, saying "You're Too Slow!"
2. Sonic breakdances and says, "C'mon, step it up!"
3. Sonic slicks his hair back like a mohawk, before shaking his head and ridding himself of it.

Sonic Victory Animations:
1. Sonic runs by a signpost with a 16-bit Eggman on it. When the sign stops spinning, a 3D model of Sonic pops out a gives a thumbs up. (The Sonic who originally ran past is gone now)
2. Sonic is seen surfing on a Buzz Bomber from above before sending it into the ground, breaking free the Cucky inside of it, who dances around Sonic as he admires it.
3. Sonic has his back turned away from the camera, looking agitated and tapping his foot on the ground. When he does notice the camera, he wags a finger, says "I'm outta here!" and jumps offscreen like in CD, leaving the victory area entirely.

Tails Taunts:
1. Tails uses his asscopter twin tails as a fan to dry his fur.
2. Tails fists bump the air, like his win animation in the Classic Sonic games.
3. Tails turns toward the camera and yawns.

Tails Victory Animations:
1. Tails lowers to the ground from flying, and after landing, does his win animation from Sonic Mania by spinning around a placing a fist in front of him.
2. We see a starry night sky with a constellation of Tails - but Tails soon flies in on the tornado and strikes a pose as he flies by and the camera follows him.
3. Tails is fixing his Miles Electric with the circuit board out and tools surrounding him, and looks ecstatic when he seems to have mended the issue.

Knuckles Taunts:
1. Knuckles punches his fists together tauntingly.
2. Knuckles crosses his arms and chuckles.
3. A red orb appears and spins around Knuckles, not unlike Navi in some of Link's previous taunts. Knuckles nearly gets knocked off balance from surprise.

Knuckles Victory Animations:
1. A red blur is seen falling from the top of the screen and into the ground. Knuckles emerges from his burrowing a few seconds later, giving a thumbs up as his head pokes out and holding a Chaos Emerald in the other hand.
2. Knuckles sits atop the Master Emerald, meditating.
3. Knuckles glides onscreen and smiles at the camera - but he is then hit by his own victory plate and falls to the ground, flat on his back like in S3&K.

YoshiandToad YoshiandToad sounds fun, let's include it! Along with our next job, it's going to be pretty cool to have multiple things to contribute to at any given time. (though I will only allow characters who have both had their victory animations done, and there will be a limit of 3 to match your precedent). I don't think anyone would object to how awesome your choices for the main three are, even if they are a bit lengthy - but I guess that will be something unique to our game, having longer victory animations than a lot of other platfighters. I'll add them in unless anyone submits an alternate list in the next hour and in that case we'll have a vote for those as well.
Vote below for your favorite animations!

And here for the Metal Sonic moveset!

NEW JOB: Submit a side collectible pitch!

We got some great propositions during our discussion round, so I'm sure there will be no shortage of awesome ideas here. Feel free to merge different ideas that were discussed in the discussion round, come up with new ideas, what have you. We will only be accepting one submission. There aren't very many limitations on what you can do here, and I will allow for the creation of brand new modes in your submission as long as they don't use traditional Sonic: The Champions gameplay and don't have any kind of story (so cashregister9 cashregister9 your Chao Garden submission would be fine here). Whatever wins, we are going to submit content for it indefinitely and on any given day of the thread, with probably a per-day limitation. Please say what the collectible is, its main function, how it would be unlocked, and any other info you feel necessary to the submission.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Due to a lack of submissions, I'll go ahead and submit my favorite idea so far, from WWW.

You unlock the Action Figures in packs, which you break open by attacking it with your character (kind of like a car bonus round in Street Fighter). Each pack comes with a character figure, a companion figure (for example, the spring seen in the quoted post, or a Tails one might come with a Tails Pup), and a background (a Shadow one might come with a Space Colony ARK background). There would be a function to share animations or screenshots made with the Figures in Gallery mode, like Shared Content in SSBU.

Please remember to vote for Sonic/Tails/Knuckles animations!
Also, please vote for Knuckles alts!

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Voting Results!
Sonic victory animations: FazDude
Tails taunts: YoshiandToad
Knuckles taunts: FazDude
Sonic taunts, Tails victories, Knuckles animations/alts, and Metal Sonic moveset are all ties! If we don't receive votes for them soon, I'll get help from an outside source.

WWW's proposition/my submission for Action Figures wins out!

You unlock the Action Figures in packs, which you break open by attacking it with your character (kind of like a car bonus round in Street Fighter). Each pack comes with a character figure, a companion figure (for example, the spring seen in the quoted post, or a Tails one might come with a Tails Pup), and a background (a Shadow one might come with a Space Colony ARK background). There would be a function to share animations or screenshots made with the Figures in Gallery mode, like Shared Content in SSBU.
Submit Action Figure packs based on fighters in Sonic: The Champions!
As a bit of a trial run to see how this pans out, we'll be adding Action Figure packs of the main playable cast, listed below:
Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Amy
Shadow
Eggman
Silver
Blaze
Whisper
Mephiles
Metal Sonic
You are allowed to submit two packs. In your submission, please include:

• Name of character
    • Debut game of character
  • Companion figure (can be living or non-living)
    • Debut game of companion
  • Background
    • Debut game of background
      • (If all things in the Action Pack are from the same game, you only have to list it once)
Along with any other details you think are neccessary, like what the figure looks like or anything. As an example, here is my Mephiles submission:

• Figure: Mephiles The Dark
    • Sonic The Hedgehog (2006)
  • Companion: Scepter Of Darkness
  • Background: Aquatic Based
We will eventually make these submissions more open, but for now let's just test the waters with our playable cast.

Last edited:

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Figure Pack 1:
  • Shadow the Hedgehog
    • Sonic Adventure 2 (2001)
  • Motorcycle
    • Shadow the Hedgehog (2005)
  • Radical Highway
    • Sonic Adventure 2 (2001)

Figure Pack 2:
  • Metal Sonic
    • Sonic CD (1993)
  • Silver Sonic
    • Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (8-Bit) (1992)
  • Stardust Speedway
    • Sonic CD (1993)

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
  • Knuckles The Echidna
    • (Sonic 3, 1994)
  • The Master Emerald
    • (Sonic & Knuckles, 1994)
  • Hidden Palace Zone
    • Sonic & Knuckles, 1994)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Unless I'm mistaken, no one has done Sonic yet...

Figure Pack 1:
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
    • Rad Mobile (1990) or if we're going Sonic exclusive, Sonic the Hedgehog (16 bit) (1991)
  • Goal Plate (has Eggman on one side, Sonic on the other. Can be spun.)
    • Sonic the Hedgehog (16 bit) (1991)
  • Green Hill Zone
    • Sonic the Hedgehog (16 bit) (1991)
Figure Pack 2:
  • Whisper the Wolf
    • IDW comics (2018) or Sonic Forces Speed Battle (2020) if we want a game
  • Wispon (Laser Mode)
    • IDW Comics (2018)
  • Ghost Town
    • Sonic Forces (2017)

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Voting results!
Knuckles alts from FazDude win! Since it's been awhile, here's his list.
I had a friend here on SmashBoards SonicMetaphor SonicMetaphor give a deciding vote on the tiebreakers. My Metal moveset and lists for Sonic taunts and Tails victories win, while FazDude's Knuckles victories win!
We also received Action Figure Packs for Sonic, Tails, Eggman, Mephiles, Knuckles, Metal Sonic, Shadow, and Whisper. Thank you guys so much for the submissions!

Submit a stage from a handheld Sonic game!

Currently, Champions lacks a stage from one of Sonic's pint-sized adventures Let's go ahead and submit one of them for our game! All Sonic handheld games are included here, including non-platforming titles.

At this time, you can submit two Action Figure packs per day. If you can, please include, according to Wario Wario Wario's submission, "a 'product description' that describes their personality and powers in an over-enthusiastic tone like that of an advert." We will go back and add Product Descriptions in later for the main cast that recieved Figures in the last job. Packs do not disconfirm.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Bridge Zone (Sonic 1 8-bit)

This sidescrolling stage has the same gimmick as Dream Land GB, taking place inside of a Game Gear as the fighters do battle in Bridge Zone from Sonic 1.The stage is pretty simple, mostly taking place on bridges that are affected by gravity and the occasional floating grassy platform. If hazards are on, not only will badniks appear in Bridge Zone, but the battery may run out soon - oh dear! It's somewhat random when the GG will run out of battery (at least two minutes in, at most five minutes in), but when it does, the picture will fade out and everyone will just be fighting in a blank Game Gear.

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
Picture later

Music Plant
Sonic Advance 2 is one of my favorite Sonic games (mainly for nostalgia reasons) so I definitely want a stage based on it. The layout will be a combination of Wily Castle’s main platform and Smashville’s floating moving platform. However, there will also occasionally be giant piano keys that come in from one of the blast zones, similarly to the temporary walls on Mementos. Instead of being walls, these piano keys will inflict damageless knockback to anyone who hits them, sending people flying away in the opposite direction! On the chance the piano takes over the bottom blast zone, you can safely bounce on the keys down there as if they were springs.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Stage submissions have closed! Your choices are:
Bridge Zone (Sonic 1 8-bit)

This sidescrolling stage has the same gimmick as Dream Land GB, taking place inside of a Game Gear as the fighters do battle in Bridge Zone from Sonic 1.The stage is pretty simple, mostly taking place on bridges that are affected by gravity and the occasional floating grassy platform. If hazards are on, not only will badniks appear in Bridge Zone, but the battery may run out soon - oh dear! It's somewhat random when the GG will run out of battery (at least two minutes in, at most five minutes in), but when it does, the picture will fade out and everyone will just be fighting in a blank Game Gear.

Music Plant
Sonic Advance 2 is one of my favorite Sonic games (mainly for nostalgia reasons) so I definitely want a stage based on it. The layout will be a combination of Wily Castle’s main platform and Smashville’s floating moving platform. However, there will also occasionally be giant piano keys that come in from one of the blast zones, similarly to the temporary walls on Mementos. Instead of being walls, these piano keys will inflict damageless knockback to anyone who hits them, sending people flying away in the opposite direction! On the chance the piano takes over the bottom blast zone, you can safely bounce on the keys down there as if they were springs.
Added a pic in Torgo's submission. Vote for your favorite. New jobs will commence shortly!

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I vote Music Plant.

Submit two Ring Assists from the main-series Sonic games

Main series includes 1, 2, 3&K, CD, Adventure games, Advance games/Battle, Heroes, Rush games, 06, Unleashed, Colors, Generations, Lost World, Forces, and Mania (and possibly Origins/Frontiers). Any character who debuted in these games are eligible for a Ring Assist in this round.

Submit a musical artist/group who will produce the game's main theme!

Over the years, Sonic has collaborated with a lot of different musicians for its incredible and varied soundtracks. Please submit one of Sonic's previous music producers to perform the main theme of Sonic: The Champions! Both single artists and musical groups are allowed for this job. If you are submitting someone who has never before worked on a Sonic game, please provide reasoning as to why they should partner with the blue blur. The main theme can be vocal or instrumental, though you are not required to specify which for your submission.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Zebrahead
I hate band pictures like this but I couldn't find a decent image of all of them onstage
If that name sounds familiar, it's likely because Ali Tabatabee and Matty Lewis, the main vocalists of Zebrahead, provided the vocals for His World from Sonic 06. Their fast and funky rap vocals mixed with catchy choruses and dramatic guitar riffs would all be perfect for a Sonic platform fighter.

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Ring Assist 1: Motobug (Sonic the Hedgehog, 1991)

The first Badnik you see upon starting the first Sonic game, the Motobug attacks by ramming into nearby opponents at high speed. It can be KO'd, and moves fairly slowly when not pursuing a target. Don't think taking high ground will save you, though, as the Motobug can jump via the use of an extending wheel!

Ring Assist 2: Silver Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog 2, 1992)

This little dude attacks by curling up and launching himself in to nearby opponents. He can also strike foes with his extendable arms.

Musical Artist: Tee Lopes

In the world of Sonic, Tee is best known for his work on classic-style projects such as Mania, but he's had experience with "modern" Sonic music through Team Sonic Racing. As such, why not throw his hat* into the ring?

*yes i chose this specific image to make that pun

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
@Torgo the Bear 's Music Plant submission wins out!
Ring submissions closing soon! c'mon Motobug please be playable
Vote here for the musician you think should compose the game's main theme.

Submit a song list for Music Plant

Submit 4 songs which will play on the stage Music Plant. Music Plant (Act 1) from Sonic Advance 2 will be part of the stage's music rotation by default.

Because it was locked in a tie for so long, I have merged mine and Pupp135 Pupp135 's submissions. So the route now looks like this:
(Skippable Knuckles cutscene)

Red Emerald: 1v1 battle
Blue Emerald: 2v2 battle
Green Emerald: 1v1 battle
Minigame
Yellow Emerald: 1v2 battle
White Emerald: 1v1 battle
Cyan Emerald: 1v1 battle
Purple Emerald: 1v3 battle
Minigame 2
Final Boss

This means we need some content for Emerald Trials!

Submit a minigame for Emerald Trials!

This minigame can, but doesn't have to, utilize standard Champions gameplay. Please specify what is required to win the minigame and whatnot. We'll be accepting two of these!

Submit a boss for Emerald Trials

Please submit a boss that will be fought against by the player with at the end of certain routes for our Classic Mode replacement, Emerald Trials.
Bosses will disconfirm. If it is a different form of a character (like Perfect Chaos) then I'll allow the less boss-like form to be submitted as a fighter in the future (like, in this case, Chaos 0). This also goes for stuff like mech suits that a character is supposedly inside of (like Death Egg Robo).

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Boss: Biolizard

Biolizard.png

Render by Nibroc-Rock on DeviantArt

Truth be told I was torn between it and Lyric, as I felt they were safe bets for bosses that most wouldn't mind losing out as playable options.

I'm going with Biolizard though as it's from the far better game and has a stronger connection to the Emeralds...I think Lyric used Chaos Crystals instead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom