• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: CROSSFIRE - A Crossover Based Multiplayer Shooter (Hrrgh, Colonel!)

What should our title be?

• CROSSFIRE

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Dimensional Shooting

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
So I'm not really a big fan of the multiplayer shooter genre based on games like Overwatch and Team Fortress 2, but I've always thought it would be cool to do a creation thread inspired by the thread that rhymes with Schmifting Schmensions around the genre. We'll decide all sorts of things about this game like the specific gameplay style and classes for each hero, but most importantly each crossover franchise that will be brought into this game and their characters, the special abilities for those characters, maps, skins, and guns. These crossovers don't just need to be realistic and use realistic firearms so we can get pretty weird with it if we need.

In case you're not aware, Drifting Dimensions follows a format where we handle each crossover franchise to be added at a time, handling each part of that franchise at a time. We will also submit each franchise individually based on prompts. I don't wanna just copy it though, so there will be some variations in how often I post these jobs. I do apologize if I might take a while to do some jobs though, so just keep that in mind please. I'm thinking our first 5 franchises will be the base game ones along with some extras then each following 5 franchises will be additional DLC packs. I might change the amount of franchises depending on what we decide though. I'd also like to cap the franchises to 30 for now not including extras.

Well you all probably know how these threads work by now so that's about it for now. I will post the first jobs in a moment.

GAMEPLAY

Gameplay modes:
Deathmatch (3v3 or 6v6) ( MartianSnake MartianSnake )
Capture the Flag ( ninjahmos ninjahmos )
Hold the Line (Players are split into two (or more!) teams and have a starting "base" of sorts. However, the map contains a number of quadrants or regions of note which can be "taken" by a team through a pre-requisite (such as killing enemies within the quadrant.) The team with the most quadrants at the end of the game wins - but it requires a mix of offence and defence to capture, and then keep, terrain.) ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Characters:
DAMAGE
1. Solid Snake ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
2. Revolver Ocelot ( PinkFlare PinkFlare )
TANK
3. Psycho Mantis ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
4. Senator Armstrong ( nirvanafan nirvanafan )
SUPPORT
5. Otacon ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
6. Quiet ( PinkFlare PinkFlare )

Maps:
1. Shadow Moses ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
2. Tselinoyarsk ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Job #1: Submit The Classes
Shooters of this genre generally differentiate between character classes so that's exactly what would happen here. Most games have a healer-damage-tank spit so that's definitely going to be an option here but if you want to submit other class ideas that's an option as well.

Job #2: Submit The First Franchise
For our first crossover franchise just submit pretty much anything. It should be a franchise that has at least some things that could work as guns and maps. Don't submit the first few characters yet as we haven't really discussed classes yet. You can definitely do that in the future I just want our first franchise job to be on day 1.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 1

This is 90% a Semantics change but I would go with Support/Tank/DPS to show that there are more options unique support characters that is not just healing. Like I said, this is pretty much just a change of phrase.

Job 2
Team Fortress

What else is there to say about this series? It basically created the hero shooter genre. It could also be cool to see these characters and maps in a different form of hero shooter.

So I debated on whether or not to submit a wackier franchise right off the bat, but for the first one I thought a more traditional shooter series would be better to get into the flow of things.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Job 1

This is 90% a Semantics change but I would go with Support/Tank/DPS to show that there are more options unique support characters that is not just healing. Like I said, this is pretty much just a change of phrase.
Oh, yeah I’m realizing support would work a lot better as a term I do agree there I never really thought of it that way.

I’ve also realized I implied us adding guns would mean guns could be swappable between characters which might be difficult in a game like this. So my question would be is everyone alright with guns being swappable like this, allowing anyone to use any gun? They would still have their own special moves of course. If there’s some debate we can have a poll on it.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Here are how I would set up the classes:

Bruiser -
  • + Class has highest raw damage
  • + Usually has solid defenses, making them good for leading charges
  • - Usually has worse movement options compared to the other classes
  • - Sometimes lack support options, meaning they only bring damage to the table

Saboteur -
  • + Speedy classes that use debuffs to cripple the enemy side
  • + Leaves holes open for bigger units
  • - Often squishy, leaving them to die early
  • - Sometimes lacks raw damage

Paladin -
  • + Someone who heals or gives buffs to allies
  • + Has good mobility and/or defenses to keep up with allies
  • - Lacks raw damage output
  • - High defense made up for with poor mobility, or vice versa

Rookie -
  • + Balanced unit, having decent stats all around
  • + Often utilize powerful melee weapons for up-close damage
  • - Lacks a mastery in one stat
  • - Lack of range

Buster -
  • + Characters who rely on one big push to blow holes into bases
  • + Has higher DPS than Bruisers
  • - Often are slow attackers and have very vulnerable helpless states
  • - Lack in ammo, meaning they can ONLY perform big pushes

Ranger -
  • + Longest ranged weapons, good for picking off straglers
  • + Very high accuracy lets them perform sudden attacks
  • - They suck close range
  • - Often has the worst defenses of the game

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Oh, yeah I’m realizing support would work a lot better as a term I do agree there I never really thought of it that way.

I’ve also realized I implied us adding guns would mean guns could be swappable between characters which might be difficult in a game like this. So my question would be is everyone alright with guns being swappable like this, allowing anyone to use any gun? They would still have their own special moves of course. If there’s some debate we can have a poll on it.
I think for the sake of a creation thread the Overwatch/Paladins style might be a bit easier to do and could be more interesting. for a swappable guns mechanic I definitely think either Weapon Skins and/or each hero having their own set of unique swappable weapons could work.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Loony Tunes

For weapons I imagine stuff like Elmer Fudd's hunting rifle, Yosemite Sam's dual pistols, Marvin the Martian's laser gun, and even a watermelon (where the reload animation is eating a watermelon really fast, and then you can spit out a few dozen seeds rapid-fire). Abilities can be stuff like dropping an anvil, running really fast with your feet in a circle, holding a big glass panel that acts as a shield, stuff like that.

For maps the only ones that come to mind are the desert from Wile E Coyote and the suburbs from the Loony Tunes Show. I don't watch a ton of Loony Tunes so I'm not sure on much else.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Job #01: A weirdish one, but my take would be a loose classification of the following quartet. That being said, characters wouldn't necessarily need to perfectly fit into elements of them - if they're slightly different in certain ways, that's more than fine, it'll make them more unique overall.

Tank: Pretty much what you'd expect - generally well-suited to breaking up positions and drawing in enemy fire.
Damage: Another fairly basic one - characters focused on dealing a large amount of damage fairly rapidly, without the build of a Tank to use for defence.
Healer: Essentially, characters centred on healing. This removes the issue of the "Healer" position usually having a lot of overlap with the next one, "Support".
Support: In the most literal sense, your "gimmick" characters. This would often refer either to characters who excel at placing traps, or directly supporting their team in a non-healing fashion (such as by buffs), or by attacking the opposing team in some non-damaging fashion (whether it be revealing their positions, debuffing them, etc.)

And, additionally, Hybrid: Characters who are designed with strong elements of two roles, often not excelling at the strengths of either due to a more general toolkit, but being more well-rounded to offset this. For instance, a Tank-Damage Hybrid wouldn't be as good at defence or damage as a pure Tank or Damage character, but could probably hold its own in situations where those other characters would excel.

Job #02: Another slightly weird submission, but one that I think would be really interesting to play with: DC Comics.

This one'd be a little odd in that a lot of your traditional heavy hitters - like Batman or Superman - probably wouldn't be well-suited to inclusion for their own reasons, (such as their aversion to guns, or, well, bullets) but there'd still be a plentiful supply of interesting characters to choose from who'd function in unique ways while still being decently iconic in their own right. Even outside just the Suicide Squad's obvious choices like Harley Quinn, there's also decent candidates like Green Lantern (Simon Baz), Cyborg, Red Hood, Green Arrow, Lex Luthor, and so forth - all of whom would work fantastically in a shooter. And that's not even to mention the potential for stages!

Last edited:

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
Loony Tunes

For weapons I imagine stuff like Elmer Fudd's hunting rifle, Yosemite Sam's dual pistols, Marvin the Martian's laser gun, and even a watermelon (where the reload animation is eating a watermelon really fast, and then you can spit out a few dozen seeds rapid-fire). Abilities can be stuff like dropping an anvil, running really fast with your feet in a circle, holding a big glass panel that acts as a shield, stuff like that.

For maps the only ones that come to mind are the desert from Wile E Coyote and the suburbs from the Loony Tunes Show. I don't watch a ton of Loony Tunes so I'm not sure on much else.
As a looney tunes connoisseur I'll help out here and throw out some more map ideas: Mars, Wackyland, The Hunting Forest, Tazmania, and an ACME Factory.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I will submit Final Fantasy

A bit unorthodox for a first series but the main reason I’m picking it is because I think it could work very well with the class system while also having enough stuff that could be used as guns, such as gunblades, Barret’s cannon, or even magic staffs of some kind. There’s also Final Fantasy VII: The First Soldier but we don’t talk about that.
(also side note go see what happens when you look up final fantasy on google)

So overall I think we got some pretty banger submissions, here are the options for franchises:
Team Fortress ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Looney Tunes ( Janx_uwu Janx_uwu )
007 ( nirvanafan nirvanafan )
DC Comics ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Metal Gear ( AlteredBeast AlteredBeast )
Splatoon ( DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
Final Fantasy ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )

And here are the options for classes:
Support/Tank/DPS ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Bruiser/Saboteur/Paladin/Rookie/Buster/Ranger ( Glubbfubb Glubbfubb )
Tank/Damage/Healer/Support ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )

So please vote for your top three options of those franchises in order (your own submission can’t be in first place) or the top two character class systems. You can just vote one if you want though.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
My votes:
1. 007
2. DC
3. Looney Tunes

It’s pretty hard to choose but I think 007is at a perfect sweet spot where it’s an obvious pick but not too obvious, I feel having TF as our first franchise might not make this feel like it’s own thing.

1. Support/Tank/DPS
2. Tank/Damage/Healer/Support

As for weapons, I think what we’ll do is have a main weapon and an alt weapon for each character. (It doesn’t necessarily have to be a gun, it can also be a melee weapon) which will be decided once we do their special abilities. When we submit skins for the characters we’ll also replace their weapons but they will have the same function.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
I will submit Final Fantasy

A bit unorthodox for a first series but the main reason I’m picking it is because I think it could work very well with the class system while also having enough stuff that could be used as guns, such as gunblades, Barret’s cannon, or even magic staffs of some kind. There’s also Final Fantasy VII: The First Soldier but we don’t talk about that.
(also side note go see what happens when you look up final fantasy on google)

So overall I think we got some pretty banger submissions, here are the options for franchises:
Team Fortress ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Looney Tunes ( Janx_uwu Janx_uwu )
007 ( nirvanafan nirvanafan )
DC Comics ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Metal Gear ( AlteredBeast AlteredBeast )
Splatoon ( DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
Final Fantasy ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )

And here are the options for classes:
Support/Tank/DPS ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Bruiser/Saboteur/Paladin/Rookie/Buster/Ranger ( Glubbfubb Glubbfubb )
Tank/Damage/Healer/Support ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )

So please vote for your top three options of those franchises in order (your own submission can’t be in first place) or the top two character class systems. You can just vote one if you want though.
Character Votes
  1. Final Fantasy (Absolutely not a franchise I had on my radar when considering this, but the more you explain it, the more bat**** insane - but fun! - it seems. I think it'd really help if the roster didn't fall into the Dissidia trap of everyone just being central protags or antags, though - getting a more eclectic roster with side characters like Barret, summons like a Cactuar, or even unusual takes on iconic characters like Terra piloting Magitek armour, would be an absolutely fantastic way of handling things.)
  2. Metal Gear (This one's interesting. There's a lot of candidates from the series that'd be a lot of fun to play as and against, and the series has a plentiful supply of characters with unique abilities or skills that'd lend well to them being playable. To be honest, I almost wonder if the Metal Gears themselves would have some kind of effect or something like that - but even if not, I can't help but imagine how cool it'd be to play as characters like Grey Fox or Psycho Mantis.)
  3. Looney Tunes (A really inspired submission, actually! Even though there are some characters who'd probably be a little more obvious in their function (namely Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam), there'd be a plentiful supply of both characters and mechanics you could play around with. Especially if you play around with certain alternate versions of characters... Duck Dodgers, anyone?)
Shoutout to 007, though - that's an inspired submission. I also think Team Fortress and Splatoon are cool, but as the first franchise in a shooting-based crossover, I'm not sure it'd be a good call to go for content from other shooting games.

Class Votes
  1. Support/Tank/DPS (A simple but reasonably effective system. I think it runs the slight risk of being a little too reductive - but it's overall pretty effective, showcased pretty well by its sheer number of appearances elsewhere.)
  2. Tank/Damage/Healer/Support/Hybrid (Self-vote, but I think it'd be neat!)

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Job #3: Submit A Title
Yep, we’re on the title already! You all probably have your own takes on what makes a good game title so just pick something you think would fit the game. Have fun!

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
So here are the results of the voting for our first franchise and class system:
Team Fortress 3
Looney Tunes 11
007 4
DC Comics 10
Metal Gear 12
Splatoon 2
Final Fantasy 6

So Metal Gear will be our first franchise! I’ll start with our character jobs in a bit.

Support/Tank/DPS 13
Bruiser/Saboteur/Paladin/Rookie/Buster/Ranger 6
Tank/Damage/Healer/Support/Hybrid 12

Our list of classes will be Support/Tank/Damage! As such each franchise will have 6 characters, one for each class with some different ones for special cases.

I’ll also start a poll for the title

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Just out of curiosity - I'm aware this is probably a weird time to ask this, but how exactly would characters function on a purely gameplay-based level? Like, for instance, would they have a loadout of something like a "primary" weapon, a "secondary" weapon, then an "ability" - or would it be more akin to battle-royale games like Fortnite where the players can pick up a wide variety of more general weapons within the different arenas?

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Just out of curiosity - I'm aware this is probably a weird time to ask this, but how exactly would characters function on a purely gameplay-based level? Like, for instance, would they have a loadout of something like a "primary" weapon, a "secondary" weapon, then an "ability" - or would it be more akin to battle-royale games like Fortnite where the players can pick up a wide variety of more general weapons within the different arenas?
It would be more like the former option, characters would have a weapon, an alternate weapon, and then one or two abilities.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Job #4: Submit Characters From Metal Gear

So each series will have a damage, support, and tank character and we'll have two characters for each, for a total of 6 characters. You can submit one character for each class. If someone submits a character for a class you are allowed to submit them as another class. If it's not obvious please do explain how they would work in that class. (Remember supports can both heal or buff)

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Job #04:
Grey Fox - Damage
An iconic candidate who could easily use his more melee-centric moveset combined with his exoskeleton to be a pretty scary opponent to go up against. He'd be decently fun to play as, and I reckon he'd be a really mobile character.

Psycho Mantis - Tank
An unusual tank character who could use his psychokinetic power to defend himself using orbiting objects, or even picking up and throwing enemy or ally projectiles right back at enemies. That said, while his ability to sneak behind enemy lines and cause chaos would be greatly powerful, it'd be limited by a unique meter.

"Otacon" - Support
Someone I think could be interesting using his technology to both defend himself and provide intel to his allies, whether by using the Metal Gear Mk. II alongside him as both a turret and data point, or by providing additional intel such as radar information to his allies' minimaps.

Character Name: Grey Fox
Character Origin: Metal Gear (MSX, 1987), based on his appearance in Metal Gear Solid (PSX, 1998)
Character Class: Damage

Given I think there's a possibility of the former's role being snapped up by Raiden purely on the basis of both using a sword, I think this would be a good opportunity to shill for the original Cyborg Ninja, and present a case for him being an interesting character to add to this game.

History & Logic
Grey Fox is a reoccuring character from the Metal Gear series, and has the interesting distinction of being the most reoccuring boss character in the entire franchise - having been fought five times up until now (compared to Vamp, Liquid Snake and Revolver Ocelot, all of whom have been fought four times.) He originally appeared as an informant in the first two Metal Gear games, but had his role significantly expanded to being a prominent antagonist in Metal Gear Solid... before dying at the hands of Liquid piloting the Metal Gear Rex. He also appeared in Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops as a semi-secret character under the name of "Null", though wielding a machete instead of a high-frequency blade. It's also worth noting that his role as the "Cyborg Ninja" would also go on to appear throughout the series - being used by "Mr. X" in MGS2, and then by Raiden in MGS4 and Rising.

As for his iconic status, it's pretty undeniable. He's a character still getting merchandise to this day, not to mention references throughout the Metal Gear series, and his frankly very cool design has drawn fans to him ever since - to the point that he was even selected in the role of an Assist Trophy to represent Metal Gear Solid in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, reprising that role in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and therefore being signalboosted even more. Not to mention, he's just a genuinely really interesting character with some great design elements, all of which combines together to make him a great candidate for this game.

Playstyle
Ideally, Grey Fox would be a fast-paced character who'd excel at getting close to opponents and causing some chaos, but he'd somewhat lack the capacity to go up against a number of opponents - preferring to ambush them and pick them off one by one. Given his lack of any form of self-heal and his below-average pool of health, going right up against a tank isn't going to end well for him either - so you'll need to be smart and strategic while using him.

Loadout
Passive Ability #1: Armoured Exoskeleton
A passive, always-active ability of Grey Fox's is related to his Exoskeleton. Specifically, when taking damage, he gets a damage multiplier of 0.9x on anything that hits him... for the first hit. Immediately after this, Grey Fox will momentarily discharge electricity - during which time he suffers a damage multiplier of 1.1x, then returns back to his 0.9x multiplier. The period of vulnerability lasts roughly 30 frames, and while he's still actionable during that time, it's important to avoid consecutive hits wherever possible - especially considering Grey Fox's health isn't too high to begin with. However, a curious little note is that if an enemy is really close to him while he discharges this electricity, it'll deal chip damage to them and make them flinch.

Passive Ability #2: Exoskeleton Agility
Grey Fox's second passive ability is an additional movement tool he has access to by default - namely, two types of wall-run. When running directly at a vertical wall while grounded, he can run up the wall for a short time, and then even jump from it - giving him an additional degree of verticality that a lot of characters don't have access to. Additionally, when airborne, you can run along a wall for a short time to increase your horizontal movement, or even jump from that wall too. Obviously, when in wide-open spaces, this isn't particularly useful - but when in closed-off "corridors", it makes Grey Fox's movement and agility a terrifyingly potent one to go up against.

Passive Ability #3: Exoskeleton Evasion
A tertiary passive that Grey Fox has access to. Admittedly, this is mostly visual in nature - all it does is alters some of Grey Fox's animations when jumping to avoid enemy fire to be flips, more closely referencing his animations from Metal Gear Solid. However, it does slightly increase Grey Fox's jump height, albeit not by all that much. It might be a much-needed boost to get you out of the way of enemies, though - and this boosted jump can still be paired with the secondary Exoskeleton Agility wall-run.

Passive Ability #4: Radar Scramble
A weirder and significantly more niche passive of Grey Fox's - specifically, if he's within a radius of around 15 metres of a character who has some form of "radar" tool allowing them to position nearby enemies (whether that be some kind of map, enemy outlines, or otherwise), Grey Fox isn't picked up by any of it... unless he's in the possible line of sight of the character (in which case they don't have to be directly looking at him.) This, again, is a reference to a piece of kit within his exoskeleton as seen in Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, as well as promotional and supplementary material.

Primary Weapon: High-Frequency Blade (Melee)
While "only a fool trusts his life to a weapon", Grey Fox's iconic tool of choice would be an obvious pick for his primary weapon. High-Frequency Blade would be a surprisingly versatile tool that'd lend to Grey Fox's playstyle being a little more tempered than you might expect at first - though it'd still be a very effective base for his toolkit overall. It's of course based on the High-Frequency Blade he wields in Metal Gear Solid, as well as other appearances of similar weapons throughout the series, such as in Metal Gear Rising: Revengenance.

As a notable visual element, if the blade is used to actually kill an opponent, the resulting slice actually cuts them along where they were slashed. Otherwise, it just functions like any other melee weapon. It's also worth noting that it emits a constant, albeit very quiet hum when drawn. Additionally, I can't find any evidence of these attack names being official - I just came up with them due to their connection to "frequency".
  • Input Left Click for Frequency Slash, a simple slash forward with the High-Frequency Blade that does a decent amount of damage and - more importantly - doesn't have too much lag to deal with, making it reasonably repeatable. Inputting three consecutive Frequency Slashes results in the fourth being a powerful downward slash with a little extra starting lag, but a guaranteed crit on hit.
  • Hold Left Click for Resonant Slash, a charge-based attack that has Grey Fox flip and dive forward before slashing in the direction in which you're aiming. This attack's a lot more powerful in terms of damage than a simple Frequency Slash, but it's also a lot more committal due to it moving you forward and being quite telegraphed, so you'll need to be careful and not just throw this out all the time. After use, it goes on a cooldown of two seconds.
  • Tap Right Click for Oscillating Deflection, a unique ability that allows Grey Fox to deflect incoming projectiles in the direction he's currently facing, while also providing a neat 1.05x multiplier to their damage. Additionally, this allows him to block (but not deflect) melee attacks that hit him - with him being actionable very quickly after deflecting a melee attack, allowing him to strike back. Oscillating Deflection is only active for around 20 frames, and has a cooldown of five seconds... as well as only being able to be activated when using High-Frequency Blade - so you'll need to be smart about how you use it.
Secondary Weapon: Arm-Mounted Cannon (Ranged)
While it doesn't maintain the same versatility as the High-Frequency Blade, Grey Fox's secondary weapon would help alleviate one of his weaknesses a little - specifically, his lack of ranged tools. Being another weapon we've seen Grey Fox wield, albeit much more sparingly than his other - specifically being the cannon he uses against the Metal Gear REX on Shadow Moses Island in Metal Gear Solid - it's another iconic callback to his most iconic appearance.
  • Input Left Click for Plasmatic Bolt, a low-powered but accurate projectile fired directly forward. While not particularly high in damage, it does a decent enough job at providing a little pressure due to its surprisingly high rate of fire. Grey Fox can carry up to four magazines, each of which contains eight individual shots, allowing for a total cap of 32 ammunition.
  • Input Right Click for Rapid Plasmatic Bolt, a semi-automatic alternate version of Plasmatic Bolt that's characterised by its unusual functionality. Specifically, just tapping Right Click will have it fire off two Plasmatic Bolts in succession, but you can hold Right Click to charge up more - up to a total of eight, limited by the amount of ammo you have left in your magazine. Whilst these Plasmatic Bolts don't deal additional damage compared to their normal variant, their rapid rate of fire means they're likely to do more cumulative damage... but overuse of this eats through your quite small cap of 32 ammunition, so you'll want to use it sparingly.
Additional Ability #1: Stealth Camouflage
Another one of Grey Fox's most iconic elements is that his exoskeleton contains an in-built stealth camouflage device, allowing him to conceal himself from enemies even at close range. However, in his first boss fight in Metal Gear Solid, this camouflage is found to have a weakness - chaff grenades, which interfere with the systems and automatically deactivate it. I'd play on that a little here.
  • Input Hotkey #1 for Stealth Camouflage, which bends light around Grey Fox to make him (mostly) invisible (which I'll delve into the specifics of in a moment) for up to 7 seconds, before going on a 15 second cooldown. However, Stealth Camouflage - while being usable while Grey Fox is moving - is automatically deactivated whenever he performs an attack, takes damage, or uses any other offensive ability, resulting in the full 15 second cooldown regardless of how long it's been active.

The degree to which this effect functions depends on two things - your distance from an observer, and if you're being observed through a scope. I mention this because, for balancing reasons, Grey Fox's camouflage would never be perfect - there'd always be a very slight shimmer indicating where he is. However, this shimmer is more noticable either when Grey Fox is close up to an observer, or if an observer sees Grey Fox through a scope.
Character Name: Psycho Mantis
Character Origin: Metal Gear Solid (PSX, 1998)
Character Class: Tank

While Psycho Mantis would undoubtedly be a... weird candidate for the game, I think their iconic and long-lasting nature in general discussion of the Metal Gear franchise would result in them actually being a pretty fair candidate to throw forward as an unusual Tank.

History & Logic
Psycho Mantis is one of the bosses introduced in the first Metal Gear Solid, and perhaps one of the most iconic - well-known nowadays mostly for their fourth-wall break where they'd read your PlayStation memory cards out to you, but also because of their unsettling aura and quite difficult gameplay. Despite their comparative lack of appearances compared to series mainstays like Snake himself, Psycho Mantis's role as FOXHOUND's probably second most well-known character (behind Revolver Ocelot, probably) lends well to their role here. Plus, I think they're interesting because of the gameplay they could bring. After all, their psychic abilities seem to lend well to something a little... unorthodox.

Playstyle
I picture Psycho Mantis as a very unorthodox character, but one that's frighteningly effective if you grow to understand them. Effectively, Psycho Mantis is a glass cannon - he has a pitiful amount of health, but he also has saccess to some frighteningly powerful tools, as well as movement options that allow him to easily cause havoc behind enemy lines. However, his dependency on the PK Gauge limits his potential to become utterly gamebreaking, as the moment it's depleted, Psycho Mantis is left scrambling for cover, ammo, or healing from an ally in order to try and get back into a decent state. They have a lot of power, it's just up to you to use it strategically.

Loadout
Passive Ability #1: PK Gauge
Psycho Mantis' main "gimmick" is his use of the PK Gauge, a visual indicator which he uses for pretty much his entire toolkit, and around which almost all of his gameplay centres. The PK Gauge is depleted when certain attacks or abilities are used or when Psycho Mantis is actually attacked, but usually refills slowly over time at a rate of 2 "units" per second. The exceptions to this auto-refill are either after he's been attacked, where there's a buffer of around a second before the PK Gauge starts to refill, or after it's been fully depleted to zero. Additionally, Psycho Mantis regains PK much faster when being healed by an ally. Some more elements of note are as follows:
  • When Psycho Mantis' PK Gauge is completely full, he passively gains a 0.8x multiplier to any attack which hits him, but only while his gauge is full. The moment you actually use it for anything, this multiplier is lost. On the contrary, when it's completely empty, he passively gains a 1.5x multiplier to any attack which hits him.
  • When the PK Gauge is completely depleted, Psycho Mantis cannot regain PK. The only ways to regain PK are either for Psycho Mantis to be healed or otherwise buffed by an opponent, for him to pick up an Ammo pickup, or be killed in order to respawn. This actually makes PK management a hugely important element of his toolkit - if you don't keep an eye on it, you might run the risk of not being able to use your PK-based options at all.
Passive Ability #2: Floating Boy
Psycho Mantis, by default, doesn't touch the ground while moving, except when his PK Gauge is fully depleted. This means that he has a few unique properties to his movement that are worth consideration. These are as follows:
  • Psycho Mantis doesn't interact with the ground, meaning both that he doesn't activate traps (such as mines) that he walks over, and that he isn't affected by other ground conditions (such as ice, which would be slippery, or other such things.) However, his traction is much lower than other characters as a result, and he also "stands" a lot taller than others. When hovering, he's also a lot faster than most characters.
  • Psycho Mantis also has a hover ability. When airborne, it's possible to hold the jump button in order to maintain your current elevation, and you can glide in any direction aside from vertically. However, hovering constantly depletes your PK Gauge at a rate of around 5 units per second.
Note, again, that none of these apply when the PK Gauge is fully depleted - instead, Psycho Mantis is left running around like anyone else... and they're a little slow.

Primary Weapon: Psychokinesis (Hybrid)
A strange "weapon" taking advantage of Psycho Mantis' most prominent ability, as well as taking inspiration from his various boss fights. Uniquely, Psycho Mantis' attacks doesn't use a traditional ammo system, but instead has a PK Gauge. It's slowly depleted with use, but recovers over time, and recovers especially quickly when being healed. Your PK Gauge is indicated visually as a literal gauge, but is also indicated numerically from 100 (full) to 0 (empty).
  • Hold Right Click for ESP Orbit, which creates a psychic field around Psycho Mantis containing a few small objects (such as rocks and books.) This field also has a few other interesting effects, which include:
    • It has a windbox around it which attracts movable objects toward Psycho Mantis, even though they're not pulled directly into the orbit at first. Interestingly, this also includes projectiles, allies, and enemies.
    • It can "pick up" movable objects, such as environment objects, enemy projectiles and ally projectiles, which are all pulled into Psycho Mantis' field of influence. It can't pick up players, though. Also, yes, allies can fire into ESP Orbit in order to bolster its offensive potential.
    • Enemies or allies alike who are hit by any of these objects are dealt an amount of damage that corresponds to the object's weight, though in practice, this is mostly chip damage. The issue is that this is constant, rapid chip damage from a source that is literally pulling you in - you can escape, but it'll be slow.
    • ESP Orbit fairly rapidly eats through your PK Gauge , at roughly a rate of 8 units per second, so you can only use it for a maximum of 8 seconds before you're fully depleted. Additionally, after use, it goes on a 15 second cooldown.
  • Tap Left Click while ESP Orbit is not active for Psychic Toss, which tosses a small object (such as a rock or book) in the direction in which you're aiming - obviously being picked up from the "surroundings" by Psycho Mantis. Using Psychic Toss uses 2 units of PK Gauge each time, giving you a total "ammo" of 50. Psychic Toss can be fairly rapidly spammed, given one attack can be cancelled into another, and if you can click fast enough, you can basically get rapid fire with it.
  • Tap Left Click while ESP Orbit is active for Alt. Psychic Toss, an alternate form of Psychic Toss with the significant difference that, instead of pulling a random object, it instead pulls from your ESP Orbit - specifically tossing the object in your orbit that deals the most damage (which would usually be a projectile.) However, it uses 4 units of PK Gauge each time, halving your total "ammo" - and remember, ESP Orbit also rapidly drains your PK Gauge too.
  • Hold Left Click while ESP Orbit is active for Psychic Maelstrom, a much more powerful form of ESP Orbit!Psychic Toss that actually throws your ESP Orbit in the direction you're aiming in. This has its strengths and weaknesses - on the one hand, it's a massive projectile wall of death that, in some cases, can be the equivalent of running into a buzzsaw - on the other hand, it leaves Psycho Mantis vulnerable due to no longer being wrapped in ESP Orbit, and still uses up PK Gauge... not to mention being pretty slow. It uses the same PK Gauge rate of 8 units per second as ESP Orbit would, and shares ESP Orbit's 15 second cooldown.
Secondary Weapon: Psionic Energy (Ranged)
Another psychic weapon of sorts based on attacks from Psycho Mantis' boss fights, this time an energy-based sphere that, again, uses your PK Gauge instead of a traditional ammo system.
  • Tap Left Click to use Energy Sphere, a slightly more powerful energy-based projectile that's fired accurately in the direction in which you fire it. Energy Sphere only uses 1 PK Gauge units per use, making it by far Psycho Mantis' most efficient weapon - though the Energy Sphere is a lot slower-moving than Psychic Toss. It doesn't have a cooldown.
  • Hold Left Click to use Charged Energy Sphere, which is... basically exactly what it says on the tin, an improved form of Energy Sphere that's both larger in size and a little faster, at the cost of using up to 5 PK Gauge units to actually use, albeit no cooldown.
  • Hold Right Click to use Homing Sphere, which is a little more unusual. It functions similar to an Energy Sphere, but it's a little slower - with the tradeoff that it autofires in the direction of the nearest enemy. The caveat is that this is based on the enemy's position rather than the enemy themselves, so it'll disappear when it reaches where the enemy was... given they're likely to have moved. It'll also disappear if you let go of Right Click, popping into nothingness. This uses 3 PK Gauge units per use, but has a cooldown of around a second after use.
Additional Ability #1: Ghostly Apparition
Psycho Mantis also has one more ability that adds to his already frightening arsenal - the ability to become briefly intangible. This is represented using his additional ability.
  • Input Hotkey #1 for Ghostly Apparition, which - when held - makes Psycho Mantis momentarily ghost-like. While ghost-like, Psycho Mantis is capable of passing through movable objects, opponents, allies, and even walls without incident - the caveat being, if you manage to attack Psycho Mantis, he loses his concentration and becomes physical once more. Being in this form costs 8 units of your PK Gauge per second, and you cannot attack while in this state, or it'll automatically cancel you out of it. Additionally, if you're inside an object when you become physical, you're popped out of it but take a chunk of damage. Lastly... this ability has a 20 second cooldown to balance it a little.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Job #04:
Character Name: Grey Fox
Character Origin: Metal Gear (MSX, 1987), based on his appearance in Metal Gear Solid (PSX, 1998)
Character Class: Damage

Given I think there's a possibility of the former's role being snapped up by Raiden purely on the basis of both using a sword, I think this would be a good opportunity to shill for the original Cyborg Ninja, and present a case for him being an interesting character to add to this game.

History & Logic
Grey Fox is a reoccuring character from the Metal Gear series, and has the interesting distinction of being the most reoccuring boss character in the entire franchise - having been fought five times up until now (compared to Vamp, Liquid Snake and Revolver Ocelot, all of whom have been fought four times.) He originally appeared as an informant in the first two Metal Gear games, but had his role significantly expanded to being a prominent antagonist in Metal Gear Solid... before dying at the hands of Liquid piloting the Metal Gear Rex. He also appeared in Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops as a semi-secret character under the name of "Null", though wielding a machete instead of a high-frequency blade. It's also worth noting that his role as the "Cyborg Ninja" would also go on to appear throughout the series - being used by "Mr. X" in MGS2, and then by Raiden in MGS4 and Rising.

As for his iconic status, it's pretty undeniable. He's a character still getting merchandise to this day, not to mention references throughout the Metal Gear series, and his frankly very cool design has drawn fans to him ever since - to the point that he was even selected in the role of an Assist Trophy to represent Metal Gear Solid in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, reprising that role in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and therefore being signalboosted even more. Not to mention, he's just a genuinely really interesting character with some great design elements, all of which combines together to make him a great candidate for this game.

Playstyle
Ideally, Grey Fox would be a fast-paced character who'd excel at getting close to opponents and causing some chaos, but he'd somewhat lack the capacity to go up against a number of opponents - preferring to ambush them and pick them off one by one. Given his lack of any form of self-heal and his below-average pool of health, going right up against a tank isn't going to end well for him either - so you'll need to be smart and strategic while using him.

Loadout
Passive Ability #1: Armoured Exoskeleton
A passive, always-active ability of Grey Fox's is related to his Exoskeleton. Specifically, when taking damage, he gets a damage multiplier of 0.9x on anything that hits him... for the first hit. Immediately after this, Grey Fox will momentarily discharge electricity - during which time he suffers a damage multiplier of 1.1x, then returns back to his 0.9x multiplier. The period of vulnerability lasts roughly 30 frames, and while he's still actionable during that time, it's important to avoid consecutive hits wherever possible - especially considering Grey Fox's health isn't too high to begin with. However, a curious little note is that if an enemy is really close to him while he discharges this electricity, it'll deal chip damage to them and make them flinch.

Passive Ability #2: Exoskeleton Agility
Grey Fox's second passive ability is an additional movement tool he has access to by default - namely, two types of wall-run. When running directly at a vertical wall while grounded, he can run up the wall for a short time, and then even jump from it - giving him an additional degree of verticality that a lot of characters don't have access to. Additionally, when airborne, you can run along a wall for a short time to increase your horizontal movement, or even jump from that wall too. Obviously, when in wide-open spaces, this isn't particularly useful - but when in closed-off "corridors", it makes Grey Fox's movement and agility a terrifyingly potent one to go up against.

Passive Ability #3: Exoskeleton Evasion
A tertiary passive that Grey Fox has access to. Admittedly, this is mostly visual in nature - all it does is alters some of Grey Fox's animations when jumping to avoid enemy fire to be flips, more closely referencing his animations from Metal Gear Solid. However, it does slightly increase Grey Fox's jump height, albeit not by all that much. It might be a much-needed boost to get you out of the way of enemies, though - and this boosted jump can still be paired with the secondary Exoskeleton Agility wall-run.

Passive Ability #4: Radar Scramble
A weirder and significantly more niche passive of Grey Fox's - specifically, if he's within a radius of around 15 metres of a character who has some form of "radar" tool allowing them to position nearby enemies (whether that be some kind of map, enemy outlines, or otherwise), Grey Fox isn't picked up by any of it... unless he's in the possible line of sight of the character (in which case they don't have to be directly looking at him.) This, again, is a reference to a piece of kit within his exoskeleton as seen in Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, as well as promotional and supplementary material.

Primary Weapon: High-Frequency Blade (Melee)
While "only a fool trusts his life to a weapon", Grey Fox's iconic tool of choice would be an obvious pick for his primary weapon. High-Frequency Blade would be a surprisingly versatile tool that'd lend to Grey Fox's playstyle being a little more tempered than you might expect at first - though it'd still be a very effective base for his toolkit overall. It's of course based on the High-Frequency Blade he wields in Metal Gear Solid, as well as other appearances of similar weapons throughout the series, such as in Metal Gear Rising: Revengenance.

As a notable visual element, if the blade is used to actually kill an opponent, the resulting slice actually cuts them along where they were slashed. Otherwise, it just functions like any other melee weapon. It's also worth noting that it emits a constant, albeit very quiet hum when drawn. Additionally, I can't find any evidence of these attack names being official - I just came up with them due to their connection to "frequency".
  • Input Left Click for Frequency Slash, a simple slash forward with the High-Frequency Blade that does a decent amount of damage and - more importantly - doesn't have too much lag to deal with, making it reasonably repeatable. Inputting three consecutive Frequency Slashes results in the fourth being a powerful downward slash with a little extra starting lag, but a guaranteed crit on hit.
  • Hold Left Click for Resonant Slash, a charge-based attack that has Grey Fox flip and dive forward before slashing in the direction in which you're aiming. This attack's a lot more powerful in terms of damage than a simple Frequency Slash, but it's also a lot more committal due to it moving you forward and being quite telegraphed, so you'll need to be careful and not just throw this out all the time. After use, it goes on a cooldown of two seconds.
  • Tap Right Click for Oscillating Deflection, a unique ability that allows Grey Fox to deflect incoming projectiles in the direction he's currently facing, while also providing a neat 1.05x multiplier to their damage. Additionally, this allows him to block (but not deflect) melee attacks that hit him - with him being actionable very quickly after deflecting a melee attack, allowing him to strike back. Oscillating Deflection is only active for around 20 frames, and has a cooldown of five seconds... as well as only being able to be activated when using High-Frequency Blade - so you'll need to be smart about how you use it.
Secondary Weapon: Arm-Mounted Cannon (Ranged)
While it doesn't maintain the same versatility as the High-Frequency Blade, Grey Fox's secondary weapon would help alleviate one of his weaknesses a little - specifically, his lack of ranged tools. Being another weapon we've seen Grey Fox wield, albeit much more sparingly than his other - specifically being the cannon he uses against the Metal Gear REX on Shadow Moses Island in Metal Gear Solid - it's another iconic callback to his most iconic appearance.
  • Input Left Click for Plasmatic Bolt, a low-powered but accurate projectile fired directly forward. While not particularly high in damage, it does a decent enough job at providing a little pressure due to its surprisingly high rate of fire. Grey Fox can carry up to four magazines, each of which contains eight individual shots, allowing for a total cap of 32 ammunition.
  • Input Right Click for Rapid Plasmatic Bolt, a semi-automatic alternate version of Plasmatic Bolt that's characterised by its unusual functionality. Specifically, just tapping Right Click will have it fire off two Plasmatic Bolts in succession, but you can hold Right Click to charge up more - up to a total of eight, limited by the amount of ammo you have left in your magazine. Whilst these Plasmatic Bolts don't deal additional damage compared to their normal variant, their rapid rate of fire means they're likely to do more cumulative damage... but overuse of this eats through your quite small cap of 32 ammunition, so you'll want to use it sparingly.
Additional Ability #1: Stealth Camouflage
Another one of Grey Fox's most iconic elements is that his exoskeleton contains an in-built stealth camouflage device, allowing him to conceal himself from enemies even at close range. However, in his first boss fight in Metal Gear Solid, this camouflage is found to have a weakness - chaff grenades, which interfere with the systems and automatically deactivate it. I'd play on that a little here.
  • Input Hotkey #1 for Stealth Camouflage, which bends light around Grey Fox to make him (mostly) invisible (which I'll delve into the specifics of in a moment) for up to 7 seconds, before going on a 15 second cooldown. However, Stealth Camouflage - while being usable while Grey Fox is moving - is automatically deactivated whenever he performs an attack, takes damage, or uses any other offensive ability, resulting in the full 15 second cooldown regardless of how long it's been active.

The degree to which this effect functions depends on two things - your distance from an observer, and if you're being observed through a scope. I mention this because, for balancing reasons, Grey Fox's camouflage would never be perfect - there'd always be a very slight shimmer indicating where he is. However, this shimmer is more noticable either when Grey Fox is close up to an observer, or if an observer sees Grey Fox through a scope.
Character Name: Psycho Mantis
Character Origin: Metal Gear Solid (PSX, 1998)
Character Class: Tank

While Psycho Mantis would undoubtedly be a... weird candidate for the game, I think their iconic and long-lasting nature in general discussion of the Metal Gear franchise would result in them actually being a pretty fair candidate to throw forward as an unusual Tank.

History & Logic
Psycho Mantis is one of the bosses introduced in the first Metal Gear Solid, and perhaps one of the most iconic - well-known nowadays mostly for their fourth-wall break where they'd read your PlayStation memory cards out to you, but also because of their unsettling aura and quite difficult gameplay. Despite their comparative lack of appearances compared to series mainstays like Snake himself, Psycho Mantis's role as FOXHOUND's probably second most well-known character (behind Revolver Ocelot, probably) lends well to their role here. Plus, I think they're interesting because of the gameplay they could bring. After all, their psychic abilities seem to lend well to something a little... unorthodox.

Playstyle
I picture Psycho Mantis as a very unorthodox character, but one that's frighteningly effective if you grow to understand them. Effectively, Psycho Mantis is a glass cannon - he has a pitiful amount of health, but he also has saccess to some frighteningly powerful tools, as well as movement options that allow him to easily cause havoc behind enemy lines. However, his dependency on the PK Gauge limits his potential to become utterly gamebreaking, as the moment it's depleted, Psycho Mantis is left scrambling for cover, ammo, or healing from an ally in order to try and get back into a decent state. They have a lot of power, it's just up to you to use it strategically.

Loadout
Passive Ability #1: PK Gauge
Psycho Mantis' main "gimmick" is his use of the PK Gauge, a visual indicator which he uses for pretty much his entire toolkit, and around which almost all of his gameplay centres. The PK Gauge is depleted when certain attacks or abilities are used or when Psycho Mantis is actually attacked, but usually refills slowly over time at a rate of 2 "units" per second. The exceptions to this auto-refill are either after he's been attacked, where there's a buffer of around a second before the PK Gauge starts to refill, or after it's been fully depleted to zero. Additionally, Psycho Mantis regains PK much faster when being healed by an ally. Some more elements of note are as follows:
  • When Psycho Mantis' PK Gauge is completely full, he passively gains a 0.8x multiplier to any attack which hits him, but only while his gauge is full. The moment you actually use it for anything, this multiplier is lost. On the contrary, when it's completely empty, he passively gains a 1.5x multiplier to any attack which hits him.
  • When the PK Gauge is completely depleted, Psycho Mantis cannot regain PK. The only ways to regain PK are either for Psycho Mantis to be healed or otherwise buffed by an opponent, for him to pick up an Ammo pickup, or be killed in order to respawn. This actually makes PK management a hugely important element of his toolkit - if you don't keep an eye on it, you might run the risk of not being able to use your PK-based options at all.
Passive Ability #2: Floating Boy
Psycho Mantis, by default, doesn't touch the ground while moving, except when his PK Gauge is fully depleted. This means that he has a few unique properties to his movement that are worth consideration. These are as follows:
  • Psycho Mantis doesn't interact with the ground, meaning both that he doesn't activate traps (such as mines) that he walks over, and that he isn't affected by other ground conditions (such as ice, which would be slippery, or other such things.) However, his traction is much lower than other characters as a result, and he also "stands" a lot taller than others. When hovering, he's also a lot faster than most characters.
  • Psycho Mantis also has a hover ability. When airborne, it's possible to hold the jump button in order to maintain your current elevation, and you can glide in any direction aside from vertically. However, hovering constantly depletes your PK Gauge at a rate of around 5 units per second.
Note, again, that none of these apply when the PK Gauge is fully depleted - instead, Psycho Mantis is left running around like anyone else... and they're a little slow.

Primary Weapon: Psychokinesis (Hybrid)
A strange "weapon" taking advantage of Psycho Mantis' most prominent ability, as well as taking inspiration from his various boss fights. Uniquely, Psycho Mantis' attacks doesn't use a traditional ammo system, but instead has a PK Gauge. It's slowly depleted with use, but recovers over time, and recovers especially quickly when being healed. Your PK Gauge is indicated visually as a literal gauge, but is also indicated numerically from 100 (full) to 0 (empty).
  • Hold Right Click for ESP Orbit, which creates a psychic field around Psycho Mantis containing a few small objects (such as rocks and books.) This field also has a few other interesting effects, which include:
    • It has a windbox around it which attracts movable objects toward Psycho Mantis, even though they're not pulled directly into the orbit at first. Interestingly, this also includes projectiles, allies, and enemies.
    • It can "pick up" movable objects, such as environment objects, enemy projectiles and ally projectiles, which are all pulled into Psycho Mantis' field of influence. It can't pick up players, though. Also, yes, allies can fire into ESP Orbit in order to bolster its offensive potential.
    • Enemies or allies alike who are hit by any of these objects are dealt an amount of damage that corresponds to the object's weight, though in practice, this is mostly chip damage. The issue is that this is constant, rapid chip damage from a source that is literally pulling you in - you can escape, but it'll be slow.
    • ESP Orbit fairly rapidly eats through your PK Gauge , at roughly a rate of 8 units per second, so you can only use it for a maximum of 8 seconds before you're fully depleted. Additionally, after use, it goes on a 15 second cooldown.
  • Tap Left Click while ESP Orbit is not active for Psychic Toss, which tosses a small object (such as a rock or book) in the direction in which you're aiming - obviously being picked up from the "surroundings" by Psycho Mantis. Using Psychic Toss uses 2 units of PK Gauge each time, giving you a total "ammo" of 50. Psychic Toss can be fairly rapidly spammed, given one attack can be cancelled into another, and if you can click fast enough, you can basically get rapid fire with it.
  • Tap Left Click while ESP Orbit is active for Alt. Psychic Toss, an alternate form of Psychic Toss with the significant difference that, instead of pulling a random object, it instead pulls from your ESP Orbit - specifically tossing the object in your orbit that deals the most damage (which would usually be a projectile.) However, it uses 4 units of PK Gauge each time, halving your total "ammo" - and remember, ESP Orbit also rapidly drains your PK Gauge too.
  • Hold Left Click while ESP Orbit is active for Psychic Maelstrom, a much more powerful form of ESP Orbit!Psychic Toss that actually throws your ESP Orbit in the direction you're aiming in. This has its strengths and weaknesses - on the one hand, it's a massive projectile wall of death that, in some cases, can be the equivalent of running into a buzzsaw - on the other hand, it leaves Psycho Mantis vulnerable due to no longer being wrapped in ESP Orbit, and still uses up PK Gauge... not to mention being pretty slow. It uses the same PK Gauge rate of 8 units per second as ESP Orbit would, and shares ESP Orbit's 15 second cooldown.
Secondary Weapon: Psionic Energy (Ranged)
Another psychic weapon of sorts based on attacks from Psycho Mantis' boss fights, this time an energy-based sphere that, again, uses your PK Gauge instead of a traditional ammo system.
  • Tap Left Click to use Energy Sphere, a slightly more powerful energy-based projectile that's fired accurately in the direction in which you fire it. Energy Sphere only uses 1 PK Gauge units per use, making it by far Psycho Mantis' most efficient weapon - though the Energy Sphere is a lot slower-moving than Psychic Toss. It doesn't have a cooldown.
  • Hold Left Click to use Charged Energy Sphere, which is... basically exactly what it says on the tin, an improved form of Energy Sphere that's both larger in size and a little faster, at the cost of using up to 5 PK Gauge units to actually use, albeit no cooldown.
  • Hold Right Click to use Homing Sphere, which is a little more unusual. It functions similar to an Energy Sphere, but it's a little slower - with the tradeoff that it autofires in the direction of the nearest enemy. The caveat is that this is based on the enemy's position rather than the enemy themselves, so it'll disappear when it reaches where the enemy was... given they're likely to have moved. It'll also disappear if you let go of Right Click, popping into nothingness. This uses 3 PK Gauge units per use, but has a cooldown of around a second after use.
Additional Ability #1: Ghostly Apparition
Psycho Mantis also has one more ability that adds to his already frightening arsenal - the ability to become briefly intangible. This is represented using his additional ability.
  • Input Hotkey #1 for Ghostly Apparition, which - when held - makes Psycho Mantis momentarily ghost-like. While ghost-like, Psycho Mantis is capable of passing through movable objects, opponents, allies, and even walls without incident - the caveat being, if you manage to attack Psycho Mantis, he loses his concentration and becomes physical once more. Being in this form costs 8 units of your PK Gauge per second, and you cannot attack while in this state, or it'll automatically cancel you out of it. Additionally, if you're inside an object when you become physical, you're popped out of it but take a chunk of damage. Lastly... this ability has a 20 second cooldown to balance it a little.
Right now we’re only submitting the characters themselves, we’ll do movesets and weapons afterwards

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
CROSSFIRE will be our title! Here are the Metal Gear character options:

Damage
Gray Fox ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99
Raiden ( MartianSnake MartianSnake )
Solid Snake ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
The Boss ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Jetstream Sam ( nirvanafan nirvanafan )
Revolver Ocelot ( PinkFlare PinkFlare )

Support
Otacon ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Blade Wolf ( MartianSnake MartianSnake )
EVA ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
Quiet ( PinkFlare PinkFlare )

Tank
Psycho Mantis ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Liquid Snake ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
Solidus Snake ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Senator Steven Armstrong ( nirvanafan nirvanafan )
Punished Venom Snake ( PinkFlare PinkFlare )

So please vote for your top three (or two) most wanted character in each category. Your own submission can’t be first.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
1. Ocelot
2. Snake
3. Gray Fox
I like the idea of a character with two guns in the first franchise

1. Otacon
2. EVA
3. Quiet

1. Venom Snake
2. Armstrong
3. Liquid

Job #5: Submit A Gameplay Mode
Gonna briefly halt our Metal Gear stuff because without characters we can’t do costumes and without gameplay modes we can’t do maps. So you can submit two match formats for online multiplayer gameplay here (single player stuff will come later and I hope we don’t overwatch 2 it) and three will be added. They can be simple things like deathmatch or capture the flag, or original ideas.

Top Bottom