• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Battle of AGES, a SEGA platform fighter

What's the roster number gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KamenMax617

Smash Rookie
Being honest, I know you're a new user here, but I don't think that's the right time now since the series is mostly off the table in future jobs.

But at least as a Capsule Toy (it's been quite a long time since I've last seen submissions of these).
  • Series: Persona
  • First Appearance: Persona 3 Portable (November 1st, 2009)
  • System Debut: PlayStation Portable
My friend Ton, okay then, not a bad idea. That being said, I can still have Kotone showing up as a big part of my other ideas involving SEGA and Atlus.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Okay, the vote is closed. Let's take a look:

King: 11 points
Birds: 0 points
Casey: 3 points
Yui: 9 points
Bonanza: 9 points
Pulseman: 6 points
Sketch: 1 points
Slap: 4 points
Horatio: 5 points

And our next assist is none other than THE DANDIEST TENNIS PLAYER ALIVE - King!!!!!

Next up, the end of Season 3 has come. Of course, we'll cap it off as usual with:

Job #271: Submit a boss

DLC seasons always come with a new boss, and it's time to decide which one this'll be. The only real stipulation here is that it has to be from a series that doesn't already have a boss. So the following properties:

-Sonic
-Virtua Fighter
-NiGHTS
-Gunstar Heroes
-Phantasy Star
-Altered Beast
-Shin Megami Tensei
-Bayonetta
-The House of the Dead

are off the table. Anything else is fair game. I will once again remind you to consider our limited slots - there are only 2 bosses left, so think over your picks very carefully and consider what may be the best move. Now go at it

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Thought about Gouji from jsr but instead decided on

Ryugi Goda (Yakuza / Like a Dragon)
My bad, probably should have waited for some examples or looked at past submissions, dont have time right now but will edit post later.

EDIT: the fight will have 3 phases. It takes place at the same location as the final boss fight of Kimami 2. Each phase will be based on the 3X Kiryu fights Ryugi & the music will change to match each time. 1st lifebar his moves will be based on his refined street fighting. After that he will draw a katana for phase 2, then will drop it, rip off his shirt, and utilize his power based brawling moves for phase 3. He will likely be mostly a close combat and combo focused boss so keeping a distant, memorizing his openings, and using projectiles can be crucial.

I apologize if some details are inaccurate, Im only up to Kimami 1 in the Yakuza / Like a Dragon series and was taking a break before starting Kiwami 2 or Ishin so im not super familiar with the character other than him being arguably the most popular antagonist.
Will resubmit Ryugi, actually just finished Kiwami 2 so can specify some details further.

- Fight takes place on Kamurocho Hills during its Construction by Majima. Dont picture that battle taking place in the climax of Kiwami 2 so no bomb, Terada cameo, etc but will still have helicopter in background with cameos by Majima Construction workers (& Majima himself if being an assist doesnt matter for this cameo) working & watching the fight.

- will also specify the songs
Phase 1 - Bad Fortune Flower Mix
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NAdmcG2OpJQ

Phase 2 - Outlaw's Lullaby
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W61-AJIZFCk

Phase 3 - A Scattered Moment
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p5FcyLD7o40

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Lord

Mr. X

The main villian of the Streets of Rage series. A powerful criminal. He acts as the major antagonist for all three original Streets of Rage games. His legacy plays a big part in the plot of the most recent game.

In Battle of Ages, he would act like a classic beat em up boss. Players would enter his arena, where he sits on his chair and laughs. He would summon enemies to attack the player. And eventually he will jump into battle himself. He is a heavy fighter, and uses his machine gun to mow down fighters.
Resubmitting Mr. X

KamenMax617

Smash Rookie

And our next assist is none other than THE DANDIEST TENNIS PLAYER ALIVE - King!!!!!

Next up, the end of Season 3 has come. Of course, we'll cap it off as usual with:

DLC seasons always come with a new boss, and it's time to decide which one this'll be. The only real stipulation here is that it has to be from a series that doesn't already have a boss. So the following properties:

-Sonic
-Virtua Fighter
-NiGHTS
-Gunstar Heroes
-Phantasy Star
-Altered Beast
-Shin Megami Tensei
-Bayonetta
-The House of the Dead

are off the table. Anything else is fair game. I will once again remind you to consider our limited slots - there are only 2 bosses left, so think over your picks very carefully and consider what may be the best move. Now go at it
If I got any Boss Ideas for Persona/Shin Megami Tensei, then let's bring on the Grim Reaper because of well, why not?

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Job #271 Faust (Thunder Force)
1689536413473.png

Faust is a floating orb created by the ORN Empire, capable of piloting different robotic bodies and even using mimicry to imitate its opponent's technology. The leader of Planet Vios which would eventually be destroyed by the pilot of the Rynex ship during the events of Thunder Force IV. He would come back alive during the events of Thunder Force VI and take on mimicrying various oversized Fire LEO (short for Little.Eternal-Operation of Fire) series ships such as the Rynex(Thunder Force IV), Styx(Thunder Force III), and Guantlet(Thunder Force V). SO how would this boss fight go? Its 5 rounds

You will be fighting atop the Rynex as a small platform while flying through the night starry sky at highspeeds!

Round 1:
Versus
, a mech piloted by Faust and the final boss of Thunder Force IV. He will shoot various pellets, laser beams, death orbs, and large very damaging blast of fire on screen.

Round 2:
1689535093834.png

An oversized version of Styx from Thunder Force III, It´s weapons consists in a Twin Shot that it's fired when it moves around along with the Wave Shot (fired in a barrage) and Fire missiles (they can be destroyed). Plays a new arrangement of The Wind Blew All Day Long (TFIII Opening Theme)

Round 3:
1689535178543.png

An oversized version of Rynex from Thunder Force IV, Weapons are Blade Shot (Slow), Free Way missiles (slow but can be dangerous if it´s not dodged or destroyed) and finally the Chain Blast. Plays a new arrangement of Lightning Strikes Again (TFIV Opening Theme)

Round 4:
1689535356954.png

An oversized version of Gauntlet from Thunder Force V, Its weapons are a very large versions of Double Wave (Thunder Force V) Over Weapon, a slow Hunter barrage and the Free Range. Plays a new arrangement of TFV Opening theme.

Final Round:
1689536179456.png

An oversized version of the TryZ from Galaxy Force! Wait a second thats not from Thunder Force!? During this fight at random points you will go in 3rd person view just like in the super scaler arcade game and have to control the Rynex you are on top to avoid getting hit by TryZ Blasters and missile launchers! A new arrangement of Beyond the Galaxy will play.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge

-Sonic
-Virtua Fighter
-NiGHTS
-Gunstar Heroes
-Phantasy Star
-Altered Beast
-Shin Megami Tensei
-Bayonetta
-The House of the Dead

Job #271:
Boss Name: Stumpalon
Boss Origin: Fantasy Zone (1986)

The first boss of the original Fantasy Zone and its ports, Stumpalon is - as the name suggests - a gigantic stump, capable of levitating and spitting out a vast quantity of leaves at Opa-Opa. In the original game, he's only weak in the mouth - but given that's where the leaves come from, it means you need to time your shots and be decently patient. That said, I think that a boss designed to represent the shoot-em-up genre is a good call - even if Faust is an absolutely awesome pick for a similar sort of role.

In Battle of AGES, we'd extrapolate the basic concept of Stumpalon's design and overall vibe by giving him access to a couple more moves, specifically to give him a greater degree of variety, whilst keeping to the general theme of both his and Plaleaf's design in general. Imagine it being as though the Fantasy Zone series continued to feature him and went on to have a long future series - a little like the thought process behind how Super Smash Bros. Brawl interpreted the Kid Icarus series! However, these new additions should still reward spacing and patience - so as to keep to the vision of his original boss fight. These moves would be:
  • Rolling along the stage, burying opponents that he lands on. The stump-like arm sticking out of his side, however, would make him hop up and down whilst doing this - so it's possible to try and avoid being stamped on if you can position yourself correctly between his bounds.
  • Spewing a large number of small, low-powered leaf projectiles at you, which have low damage output, but do inflict a little hitstun in the process. The number of leaves spewed at once will depend on his health - as it decreases, he'll spew more at you.
  • Spitting up to three large seeds forward in an arc, which grow rapidly into trees upon hitting the ground. They do decent damage on their own, but the trees are capable of launching you upwards. That said, Stumpalon will spit more seeds if his health is lower, with three being the maximum number.
  • Opening up its mouth, a Kirikiri will exit, flying toward you slowly. Whilst it can be knocked away fairly easily, it's worth noting that the presence of the enemy can make it more difficult to position yourself or focus on attacking Stumpalon specifically, much like in the original game.
Uniquely, Stumpalon also has a weak spot in his mouth. Whilst he'll still take damage when hit elsewhere, it's reduced to 85% what it would normally be - whereas hitting him in the mouth increases the damage output to 115%, rewarding players for their positioning and spacing. It should be noted that he's also able to float around - so he can reposition himself too, making it a little more difficult to line up your attacks.

Whilst Stumpalon isn't as outright complex as a lot of other bosses, he'd still be a fun challenge to go up against - and I think he'd do a good job at representing some of the gameplay concepts at play within Fantasy Zone and the scrolling shoot-em-up genre in general whilst not being overcomplicated and unfair.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Kaito Gōshō (Hero Bank)

Hero-Bank-Punch.jpg

Who?

Kaito Gōshō is a young elementary student who is always ready to help those in need. His hastiness to do so, ends up getting him to sign a contract with a shady priest, giving him a powerful gold hero suit, Enter the Gold, but also a life crushing debt of ¥10,000,000,000. Poor kid.

Fortunately for Kaito, there is BIG MONEY to be made in Hero Battles using suits such as his. Unfortunately for Kaito, every attack he uses also costs his liquid assets to perform. Luckily the pay out for victory will resort in insane sums of money being thrown at the winner, meaning Kaito can still put a sizeable dent in that insane debt providing he keeps fighting.

Why?
We have a decent amount of boss battles that are against antagonistic forces. I felt a COIN BATTLE BOSS FIGHT like this would offer something a bit different.

How does Kaito work as a boss battle?

In this particular battle, the audience will throw wads of cash onto stage. This bankroll will do two things; power Kaito's attacks making him MORE powerful, but also can be collected by the player to use in the Battle of Ages shop...after some conversion.

Kaito's attacks, defence, speed and power are all based on the amount of money he has. This will make him particularly dangerous at the beginning of the boss battle, but subsequent specials he pulls off will drain his bank account and cause his power input to dwindle considerably.

Be warned; when fully powered up Kaito will have access to Bankuen Gold Rish, a devastating flurry of golden blows that can easily KO an opponent...if it lands.

If you dodge it however Kaito's debt increases and he'll have to collect money thrown by the audience. Collect that cash before Kaito and you'll not only net yourself some tasty bonus cash for the shop, but deplete Kaito's strength and ability to fight back. You can knock the remainder of his funds free by pummeling him with your own specials, although Kaito can equally knock some loose change out of your character with his regular attacks.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
  1. Faust. I think even aside from additional representation for arguably one of the more important (and cool) acquired SEGA series out there in the form of Thunder Force, this also feels like it'd be such an incredibly unique and fun boss battle overall, as well as a love letter to the series as a whole. Even if we never manage to get Cenes in as a playable character, the Thunder Force just feels too important to pass up in a prominent role like this.
  2. Ryuji Goda. I think that considering the Like a Dragon series is perhaps most notable for its... well, a lot of things, but one of it's more notable aspects is in its boss battles, Ryuji (or really any Like a Dragon boss!) feels like a decently logical and prominent pick that'd make a lot of sense. Whilst Mr. X and Kaito both seem like really cool inclusions, I feel like a Like a Dragon boss is really just a logical and reasonable pick to go for, honestly.
Submissions were pretty cool though! :)

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
1. Faust. To be honest, not only is this all around a great and fun sort of semi-deep cut, but I really love the Try-Z idea, it's such a cool way of incorporating the crossover aspect into the game
2. Stunpalon. I've submitted a Fantasy Zone boss before, so I'll stump for anything from the series

I get why people are voting for Mr. X, but I feel we've already added a lot of SoR content and I'd like us to maybe spread the love a little bit

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, vote's closed!

Let's see......

Ryuji: 7 points
X: 14 points
Faust: 18 points
Stunpalon: 9 points
Kaito: 2 points

Season 3's boss will be Faust!!!!!

And with that, Season 3 is done for. Which means that, like, the stuff I had actually planned for is done. But we still voted on doing a fourth season. Which prompts the following discussion:

Discussion: ........what the hell do we do now?

I wasn't really banking on Season 4 even happening, so I don't have much of a plan for it. Of course, a lot of it can be filled out by the same old stuff we've been doing, but there are holes. For example......I have the usual two new series and one second rep planned, but that leaves one more wildcard slot I have no idea what to do with, and suggestions would be appreciated. Stuff like that. Just throw your ideas out there and we'll figure something out.

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Wasn’t there discussion of having a guest character of some kind in the roster a while back? I feel like something like that could be cool.
We've got that planned as the fifth/extra fighter for a final season with Sisyphus Buddy as an assist (who won so many jobs back), from what I recall. The monkey-faced thief's time will arrive (being literally owned by SEGA and lots of othe rstuff).

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
To be honest, I feel like it'd be a good call to strike a balance between tying up loose ends and making this feel special. Given this is the last season of DLC, it'd be pretty important that if there are any holes for us to plug - this is really our last chance. That aside, the idea of a guest character feels like a lot of fun too, though I'm aware it's been discussed already.

That said, I think it could also potentially be a good place to add one or two pieces of "bonus content" on top of the fifth fighter (as well as the other season content!), though I'd suggest not overdoing it so as to not feel too bloated, mostly just adding a couple of smaller elements that'd be a cherry atop this hedgehog spine-filled cake. Think akin to how Eleven was "bonus content" in the last season of Street Fighter V's DLC - a nice addition that doesn't take too much work in practice whilst going hand-in-hand with the other inclusions of the season (like Akira and such.) The main idea that springs to mind on that front could including a final new announcer, which seems like it'd potentially be fun - a final new mode or minigame, or even another "bonus" character if you wanted to go along that route!

That said, though, I do think our focus should be on plugging the couple of gaps we might have here and there in terms of representation (hey, maybe representing Joypolis would work here?) so that Battle of AGES can feel like a fully formed experience that truly represents SEGA and its history. It's come a long way from its humble beginnings, after all.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
While I don't have any idea who it might be, a character that borrows moves from other fighters similar to Dural sounds cool - though it might be more trouble than a traditional fighter.

We may also add a joke character who is intentionally over/underpowered and just allows players to have more fun at single-player modes.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
While I don't have any idea who it might be, a character that borrows moves from other fighters similar to Dural sounds cool - though it might be more trouble than a traditional fighter.

We may also add a joke character who is intentionally over/underpowered and just allows players to have more fun at single-player modes.
I do think the former is a bit too specific for what I'm aiming for here but yeah, I was thinking of something along the lines of the stuff you're proposing here, in the same mold as the villain job we did: something that can apply to both double-dips and new franchises

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Discussion: ........what the hell do we do now?

I wasn't really banking on Season 4 even happening, so I don't have much of a plan for it. Of course, a lot of it can be filled out by the same old stuff we've been doing, but there are holes. For example......I have the usual two new series and one second rep planned, but that leaves one more wildcard slot I have no idea what to do with, and suggestions would be appreciated. Stuff like that. Just throw your ideas out there and we'll figure something out.
First of all I weirdly like that we got 4 Seasons. Somehow having 4 seasons for SEGA just feels right.

So some ideas:
  1. A character who represents something outside the usual Sega game sphere.
    Could be our "R.O.B. style" character who whilst Sega related isn't a renown video game character.

Examples include the aforementioned mascot LOPIT from Joypolis, the Sega Toylet Mascot, Manakin Pis, the Seha girls, or a character to represent their earliest ventures such as Pinball or their the electrical-mechanical games. I suppose AGES from Sonic and All Stars Racing could also count as this.

2. Fill in the major missing gaps.
    We've done really well filling in some of the biggest franchises from Sega, but putting forward to us what we think are the major missing series/games of importance could be pretty good.
    Everyone gets to submit three series names which are then put up as the list to pick from and people have to create a character from the names they didn't submit.

For example if I submitted say...Ecco the Dolphin, Endless and Wonderland Wars I wouldn't be able to submit a character from them, but if someone else submits Last Bronx, Etrian Odyssey and...I dunno, Dynamite Dux I can absolutely create a character from that lineup.

It might seem like an extra step, but that could be crucial to getting some more interesting ideas rather than the same submissions again.

3. Amalgamation characters based around a particular Sega product.
    Essentially the "Duck Hunt style" character. Whilst Duck Hunt is primarily the Duck and Dog from the titular Duck Hunt game, their moveset also includes characters from Wild Gunmen and the cans from Hogan's Alley.
    Pick a product(console, a certain accessory maybe or a set of related arcade concepts) and go wild with it.

First of all I weirdly like that we got 4 Seasons. Somehow having 4 seasons for SEGA just feels right.

So some ideas:
  1. A character who represents something outside the usual Sega game sphere.
    Could be our "R.O.B. style" character who whilst Sega related isn't a renown video game character.

Examples include the aforementioned mascot LOPIT from Joypolis, the Sega Toylet Mascot, Manakin Pis, the Seha girls, or a character to represent their earliest ventures such as Pinball or their the electrical-mechanical games. I suppose AGES from Sonic and All Stars Racing could also count as this.

2. Fill in the major missing gaps.
    We've done really well filling in some of the biggest franchises from Sega, but putting forward to us what we think are the major missing series/games of importance could be pretty good.
    Everyone gets to submit three series names which are then put up as the list to pick from and people have to create a character from the names they didn't submit.

For example if I submitted say...Ecco the Dolphin, Endless and Wonderland Wars I wouldn't be able to submit a character from them, but if someone else submits Last Bronx, Etrian Odyssey and...I dunno, Dynamite Dux I can absolutely create a character from that lineup.

It might seem like an extra step, but that could be crucial to getting some more interesting ideas rather than the same submissions again.

3. Amalgamation characters based around a particular Sega product.
    Essentially the "Duck Hunt style" character. Whilst Duck Hunt is primarily the Duck and Dog from the titular Duck Hunt game, their moveset also includes characters from Wild Gunmen and the cans from Hogan's Alley.
    Pick a product(console, a certain accessory maybe or a set of related arcade concepts) and go wild with it.
I'm really down for the idea to be honest, especially the first and third ones feel like an overdue to me.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, I'm doing something here so we can get a more organized avenue for suggestions. Introducing.....the Character Job Suggestion Box!!!

In this form, you can suggest any amount of jobs you'd like to see in this season, you can also give explanations or reasons if you want to, there's a more detailed explanation in the description so please read that. You don't have to worry about stuff that's already been suggested either, I'll take those into account too. We'll see what comes of this

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Amalgamation characters based around a particular Sega product.

Yume Neko time!

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, it's been some time. I think it's time we proceed to the next step.

For the sake of transparency and discussion, here's everything that has been suggested in some way:

-Guest character
-Non-Megaten Atlus rep
-Western SEGA character
-Character who copies other fighters' moves
-Joke character
-A SEGA character that represents non-video game media
-A job where people put up what they think are the biggest omissions and each user selects from the others' pool
-An "amalgam" fighter in the style of Duck Hunt, representing various projects from a particular point in SEGA history
-SEGA Toys character, also including Pico
-Mook fighter
-Retro SEGA character
-Electro-mechanical game character
-Mobile game character
-"Team" fighter
-TMS character
-Sammy character
-Clone characters
-More secondary reps
-More arcade characters

So we have quite a lot of options, and now I suppose I should ask you all which ones you like best.

As for me, my main takeaway here is that people want Weird ****. Out of all the suggested options here, I can say that the guest fighter and at least one more secondary rep are guarantees. The clone and joke fighters are ones where I really like the idea in a vacuum and think it could make for a great bonus, but wouldn't want it in the middle of a season pass that people would hypothetically be paying for. I'm prolly most interested in doing non-Megaten Atlus, I think there are a lot of neat options to explore. I'd also really like to sneak just one more arcade character in, but I think we've had our fill of dedicated jobs for that - I still want to add one more though, and I'll prolly start pushing harder for someone like, say, Bruno. The amalgam fighter could be neat provided the chosen properties to represent actually feel somewhat cohesively tied together. The western character one is one I have to admit I wouldn't really like, just because i think most of the remaining non-PC/Ecco options are kinda small potatoes. Everything else I don't have much to say on, they'd be neat.

Now what do you people think? I'd like to continue to get community input on this, our last season needs to be very carefully put-together.

Top Bottom