• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[ COMPLETE! ] Smashboards Creates: All-Star Strife (An indie-based platform fighter!)

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Job #57: Welltaro (Downwell)
1649614997110.png

(Image from Indie Pogo, since finding an image from Downwell is for some reason really hard)

Welltaro is the playable character in the Devolver Digital game Downwell, a game where you go down a well. WITH GUN BOOTS. Welltaro made a name for himself in crossover fighting games being in Indie Pogo, and confirmed playable in Fraymakers and Indie Rumble
. So, why not make him playable, he has moveset potential... Well, him already being playable in 3 Indie crossover platform fighters is why he shouldn't be playable, he already had his time to shine in multiple games and there are other Devolver Digital characters who I feel should also have time to be playable, so despite how much I love Downwell I can't in good faith suggest him being playable for the 4th time. That said, he'd be a really cool assist and I think Downwell should get representation for what it's managed to achieve (it was a direct inspiration for Indie Pogo's super and gem mechanic, apparently it was really successful for DD, and it was mostly made by one person).

Welltaro would be able to run and jump, anyone he jumps on getting dealt huge damage, Welltaro has the Machine Gun module equipped and can fire down if he's above opponents. Welltaro also has the
Hot Casing and Blast Module equipped (thought these were the most dangerous pair and I didn't want Welltaro with every upgrade, that'd be ridiculous power wise), meaning any time Welltaro shoots a bullet casing comes from the boot and if it hits an opponent they are dealt damage, and if Welltaro lands on an opponent an explosion appears under Welltaro with the potential of hitting anything under it.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Quote Animations:

Stage Entrance:
-Quote falls from the sky, landing face-first on the stage as clouds of dust rise on either side of him (referencing his arrival at Mimiga Village)

Taunts:
-Quote twirls his pistol
-Quote holds his pistol upwards, checking its ammo
-Quote bends downwards to touch his toes (I got this from Bit Trip Runner 2 footage; not sure if every character in that game has the same animations)

Victory:
-Quote stands there, looking satisfied, before a puppy falls on his head
-Quote looks around before leaping into a teleporter, vanishing to parts unknown
-Quote confidently smirks, looking at his gun as he twirls it (of all things, this came from a puzzle game)

Not sure if Curly Brace would have different animations, given her more energetic personality, but these should be able to apply to both of them.

Retro Companion:

The Kid (I Wanna Be The Guy)

Armed with a peashooter, the Kid wants to be the Guy. To accomplish this goal, he must make his way through a brutal platforming challenge where things like common sense, logic, and physics no longer apply.

When summoned, the Kid runs around the stage, firing his gun at anything that moves aside from his summoner. The gun does pitiful damage, and he dies in one hit. However, while he's out, several Delicious Fruits appear, hovering in random locations on the stage. Some times, the fruit will fall straight down, but other times, the fruit will move upwards, or sideways, or move in one direction before stopping and going in a completely different direction.

No matter which way it moves, the fruit will do a ton of damage if it connects. Defeating the Kid gets rid of the fruit, so it's best to do it quickly. (as is tradition, if the Kid is hit by a fruit, he dies as well)

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Submissions are closed... and for some reason I called them "voting" in the post earlier today. My bad on that one. Anyway...

My submissions for Shantae's animations win by default; Same case with Megadoomer Megadoomer and his submissions for Quote.

As for our retro companion, we will be picking two to join the roster. As such, please nominate your top two from the following list (self-voting is only allowed for 2nd place):
  • Captain Viridian (VVVVV) (Tankman from Newgrounds)
  • Sans (UNDERTALE) (FazDude)
  • Welltaro (Downwell) (CheeseAnton)
  • The Kid (I Wanna Be The Guy) (Megadoomer)
For the sake of transparency, here are my votes:
  1. The Kid
  2. Captain Viridian
---
Since I need to be studying for a quiz I have tomorrow, no new jobs will be posted today. Sorry for the inconvienence, but expect new jobs (and the end of voting) tomorrow afternoon!

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
1. Sans
2. Welltaro

EDIT: Swapped Sans with Captain Viridian, I'm going to be blunt and say out of a 30 character indie roster I despise the idea of a series getting multiple fighter reps, while I'd love to see Viridian as an Assist if I can take out Undertales most likely second character I will.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. Captain Viridian
2. Welltaro

I really don't like the idea of disconfirming/ruling out extremely popular characters; it bugged me a lot with Smash Ultimate's waves of Mii costumes that were tied to Fighters Pass 2. (seemingly every wave ruled out at least one character that I really wanted to see or thought was likely - I get that they can't include everyone, but it seems short-sighted to rule out Sans this early if the possibility's there for a game/series to get more than one character)

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Voting is closed, and at the moment, it appears that Captain Viridian, Sans, and The Kid are all tying for first place. As such, a StrawPoll will be used to break this tie. Please vote here: https://strawpoll.com/polls/LVyKxYVrkn0. The top two submissions will get in.

Time for some more jobs!

Job 58: Submit a weapon item!
Submit any weapon you would like to add to the game! No real rules to follow here aside from the obvious "must be from an indie game" one, so go wild!

Job 59: Submit a transformation item!
Submit an item that would "transform" the character in a certain way. The bare minimum would be a stat-changing item like Smash's Bunny Hood, but you are welcome to get more creative if you want!

Both jobs will close tomorrow evening.

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Weapon Item: Devilsknife (Deltarune)

Credit to /u/MarmitTrysuer on Reddit!

This chaotic item works similarly to Death's Scythe in Smash Ultimate. However, rather than an instant OHKO, the move has a chance to deal critical damage to an opponent.

Transformation Item: Mimigia Mask (Cave Story)
(No image; Smashboards doesn't play too nice with images from Fandom.)

Putting this on will give you the high speeds and high jumps of a Mimigia! ...For a while, anyway. It's pretty much Smash's Bunny Hood.

Job 58:
Casey (Enter the Gungeon)

1649783554529.png

One of melee weapons in Enter the Gungeon game and it's one of most popular weapons in the game.

In Allstar Strife, it would act like Homerun bat, where you could swing it with great knockback and brutal damage, but it also deflects projectiles like in Enter the Gungeon.

I don't have any ideas for transformation items right now.

Attachments

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Transformation item: Bat Wing (Binding of Isaac)

Upon picking this up, the character temporarily grows large bat wings out of their back, which allows them to hover in midair as long as the jump button is held, similar to the Tanuki Leaf from Smash.

Last edited:

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Transformation: Strawberry Joy Pill (We Happy Few)
1649786210201.png

Joy Pills are Pills meant to suppress bad memories and keep citizens in Wellington Wells happy (hooray!). As such, this completely harmless pill which you should take only once per hour should obviously make it into the game, and if you don't vote it that's a sign of defiance and we'll put you in jail-

The Joy Pill would add a smile on the users face (and if they are already smiling, make theirs bigger), while making their special moves deal a lot more damage (because the user truly is special, and smart for taking the pill), the effect lasts for about 20 seconds.

FazDude

Smash Master
Tiebreaker voting has closed! Please welcome Sans and The Kid to the Companion Card lineup as submitted by myself and Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds !

In addition, we will begin voting on items!

Our two weapon items will be voted on via StrawPoll: https://strawpoll.com/polls/e2navVlJlgB

As for the transformation items, they will be voted on within the thread itself. Please pick your top two from this lineup!
  • Mimigia Mask (Cave Story) (FazDude)
  • Bat Wing (Binding of Isaac) (Megadoomer)
  • Strawberry Joy Pill (We Happy Few) (CheeseAnton)
Weapon Item: Devilsknife (Deltarune)

Credit to /u/MarmitTrysuer on Reddit!

This chaotic item works similarly to Death's Scythe in Smash Ultimate. However, rather than an instant OHKO, the move has a chance to deal critical damage to an opponent.

Transformation Item: Mimigia Mask (Cave Story)
(No image; Smashboards doesn't play too nice with images from Fandom.)

Putting this on will give you the high speeds and high jumps of a Mimigia! ...For a while, anyway. It's pretty much Smash's Bunny Hood.
Job 58:
Casey (Enter the Gungeon)

View attachment 350101
One of melee weapons in Enter the Gungeon game and it's one of most popular weapons in the game.

In Allstar Strife, it would act like Homerun bat, where you could swing it with great knockback and brutal damage, but it also deflects projectiles like in Enter the Gungeon.

I don't have any ideas for transformation items right now.
Transformation item: Bat Wing (Binding of Isaac)

Upon picking this up, the character temporarily grows large bat wings out of their back, which allows them to hover in midair as long as the jump button is held, similar to the Tanuki Leaf from Smash.
Transformation: Strawberry Joy Pill (We Happy Few)
View attachment 350102
Joy Pills are Pills meant to suppress bad memories and keep citizens in Wellington Wells happy (hooray!). As such, this completely harmless pill which you should take only once per hour should obviously make it into the game, and if you don't vote it that's a sign of defiance and we'll put you in jail-

The Joy Pill would add a smile on the users face (and if they are already smiling, make theirs bigger), while making their special moves deal a lot more damage (because the user truly is special, and smart for taking the pill), the effect lasts for about 20 seconds.
Finally, we have two new jobs for tonight!

Jobs 60-61: Submit alternate colors for Anton and/or Peacock!
Same rules as usual; Compose a list of 8 or 16 colors for either or both characters.

Submissions for colors and voting on items will close tomorrow afternoon!

FazDude

Smash Master
Transformation item votes:
  1. Straberry Joy Pill
  2. Mimigia Mask
Peacock Alts (all taken from here!)
  1. Default
  2. "Untouchable" (red/black color scheme)
  3. "Sketchy" (white/red color scheme)
  4. "Alt 5" (yellow/black color scheme)
  5. "Pea Shooter" (green/purple color scheme)
  6. "Dream Catcher" (yellow/lavender color scheme)
  7. "That's All, Folks!" (black/white color scheme)
  8. Milk-Chan (red/white color scheme)
  9. "Alt 13" (green/black color scheme)
  10. "Hsien-Ko/Lei-Lei" (pink/yellow color scheme)
  11. "Alt 15" (dark red/white color scheme)
  12. Inspector Gadget (gray color scheme)
  13. Raspberyl (black/pink color scheme)
  14. Princess Daisy (yellow/orange color scheme)
  15. "Prism Plumage" (green/blue color scheme)
  16. Annie (blueish color scheme)
  17. Woody (brown/blue color scheme)
  18. Sir Pentious (black/gold color scheme)

FazDude

Smash Master
Voting/submissions have closed!
  • Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario 's list of Anton alts wins by default!
  • My list of Peacock alts also win by default, adding her to the exclusive 16-alt club! I miscounted her alts when I originally submitted them, though, so I just cut the last two for the final document.
  • Our next two items will be the Strawberry Joy Pill and Bat Wing, submitted by CheeseAnton CheeseAnton and Megadoomer Megadoomer respectively!
Alright, we're a little more than halfway into the week. You know what that means!

Job 62: Submit a fighter from a mobile game!
Submit a character from a mobile game. Do note that said game doesn't have to be mobile exclusive; It just has to have originated as a mobile title. Said mobile game also has to have, at the very least, started out as an indie game.

Job 63: Submit a stage from a mobile game!
Same restrictions as above, but with a stage this time.

Submissions will close tomorrow evening!

Last edited:
Resubmitting Impostor from Among Us.

Fighter Submission:
Impostor (Among Us)

Impostor is a villain from Indie mobile game Among Us released in 2018 and gained insane popularity during september 2020.
Impostor is an Alien from unknown species (Presumably Impostors) that invades human properties and has ability to shape-shift or crawl in the vents. He always shapeshifts into random colored Crewmate to be unnoticed by other crewmates, otherwise if he gets voted, the Impostor gets ejected from Ships, bases and other space structures into outer space.

His moveset would be based on Among Us, like he could use knife, Gun or even his tongue. He has ability to shape-shift into other opponent and even he could create vents to crawl through them, making him undetected by fighters.
Although, if he had full moveset in the game, it would be based on Rivals of Aether moveset and BrawlFan1's moveset.
He could be Middleweight character with double jumps and no additional moveset options.

I nominate Impostor, because his game was successful in 2020 and it became a cult following game. Also, Mobile game representation would be nice and unique.
Also, Impostor could have wonderful moveset in the game and his aesthetic could fit in the fighting game.

FazDude

Smash Master
Job 62: Red (Angry Birds)

If we're talking mobile games, we cannot go without submitting this furious fowl. The Angry Birds franchise has taken the world by storm, with millions of downloads, two feature films, and a dedicated fanbase. Plus, with the original game recently having been returned to app stores, what better time for Red to launch into battle?

Job 63: Cardboard Box (Cut the Rope)

While I wouldn't be opposed to Om Nom himself being playable, I feel like a stage based on Cut the Rope would also be really neat regardless if he gets in or not. This could be like the game's equivalent to Smash's Super Mario Maker stage, featuring a randomly designed layout featuring cardboard soft platforms, whoopie cushions, spikes, and other hazards/items from the Cut the Rope games!

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Job 62: The Chicken (Crossy Road)

Crossy_Road_icon.jpeg

Crossy Road was one of the most popular mobile indie games in the 2010s and I remember playing this game soundly with my younger brother as a teen. Who better to represent the game than the Chicken that is the app icon? Hipster Whale, the developing team behind Crossy Road got to work on a spinoff with Disney called Disney Crossy Road that has Disney characters so there is some mainstream recognition. For the moveset, the Chicken can summon cars and the eagle for recovery. Also, even the logs too and all. A crazy moveset. Crossy Road definitely deserves some recognition in the game.

Job 63: Flappy Pipeyard (Flappy Bird)

flappy_bird.png.jpeg

Flappy Bird also deserves recognition too as the game was one of the big apps during 2013. However, it got taken down from the App Store due to Nintendo suing the developers for the pipes being too similar to the Mario pipes. Basically, the stage will be a walk-off stage with the pipes as platforms. Flappy Bird will come in as a hazard and give damage to any fighters he runs into.

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
So I was gone for a while

Time to submit a mobile character

no_clue.png

The Customer (World of Goo)
This is a very strange submission, but I've already made a full moveset for them for the Make Your Move contest here on SmashBoards that translates World of Goo's gameplay into Smash. I don't know if this will interest anyone, but...well, I'll see what happens.
If you wanna see the moveset to get an idea of what this character will do, you can skim through it (or actually read the whole frickin' thing) here:
[MYM] The Customer - Google Docs

Mobile Stage:
1649978331056.png

Subway Surfers

An autoscrolling stage where you gotta keep up with the subway tracks! Pick up special powerups to gain limited abilities, like the spring shoes that buff your jumping height, or the jetpack to gain what's basically the same as Smash's Rocket Pack!

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Job 62:GingerBrave (Cookie Run)

1649970188758.png

GingerBrave is the Main Protagonist of a mobile game series called Cookie Run that was created by a South Korean company called Devsisters. GingerBrave is the first cookie to escape a witch's oven,his reason for come to life is unknown,but there is a rumor that says that the witch accidentally used magic power instead of ginger powder.

a lot of people know Cookie Run because of Cookie Run: Kingdom and Cookie Run: Ovenbreak, and the Cookie Run series is not current, the first Cookie Run game was released on 2009.

Job 63:Legitimate Research (Jetpack Joyride)

well,it was too hard choose any mobile game as a stage rep,i think that Jetpack Joyride it's a good choice i want choose Fruit Ninja but i think it would turn out very well,so let's go. the stage is a straight field and it works like the original game,it would be similar to Mushroomy Kingdom only it's a replica of the Jetpack Joyride rooms instead of World 1-1 of Super Mario Bros. from NES, the scientists and coins don't appear on stage,but appears missiles,lasers and zappers and these obstacles from the original game are stage hazards,sometimes the stage randomly changes of scenery,as a room,a lab,a glass room with a forest background,a volcano cave,a underground aquarium,a warehouse,a normal cave,a glass room with a hills background and a cave with gold and a hallway and sometimes one or two or three metallic platforms appears on stage.

FazDude

Smash Master

View attachment 350322
This is a very strange submission, but I've already made a full moveset for them for the Make Your Move contest here on SmashBoards that translates World of Goo's gameplay into Smash. I don't know if this will interest anyone, but...well, I'll see what happens.
If you wanna see the moveset to get an idea of what this character will do, you can skim through it (or actually read the whole frickin' thing) here:

Mobile Stage:
View attachment 350324
Subway Surfers

An autoscrolling stage where you gotta keep up with the subway tracks! Pick up special powerups to gain limited abilities, like the spring shoes that buff your jumping height, or the jetpack to gain what's basically the same as Smash's Rocket Pack!
Unfortunately, the Customer is ineligible due to originating from a Wii game. Subway Surfers is fine, though.

Baysha

Smash Ace
SwingCopter.png

Spinki Falling (Swing Copters 2)

The main character of Swing Copters 2, a game that the creator of Flappy Bird made. I think he's cute and could have a fun moveset.

FazDude

Smash Master
Submissions are closed! Voting will be done solely in-thread this time.

Please pick your top three fighters from the following list (self-voting in 2nd-3rd only):
  • Impostor (Among Us) (Tankman from Newgrounds)
  • Red (Angry Birds) (FazDude)
  • The Chicken (Crossy Road) (AlteredBeast)
  • GingerBrave (Cookie Run) (DragonRobotKing26)
  • Spinkin Falling (Swing Copters 2) (Baysha)
Do the same for stages, but choose two:
  • Cardboard Box (Cut the Rope) (FazDude)
  • Flappy Pipeyard (Flappy Bird) (AlteredBeast)
  • Subway Surfers (...) (Torgo the Bear)
  • Legitimate Research (Jetpack Joyride) (DragonRobotKing26)
Resubmitting Impostor from Among Us.

Fighter Submission:
Impostor (Among Us)

Impostor is a villain from Indie mobile game Among Us released in 2018 and gained insane popularity during september 2020.
Impostor is an Alien from unknown species (Presumably Impostors) that invades human properties and has ability to shape-shift or crawl in the vents. He always shapeshifts into random colored Crewmate to be unnoticed by other crewmates, otherwise if he gets voted, the Impostor gets ejected from Ships, bases and other space structures into outer space.

His moveset would be based on Among Us, like he could use knife, Gun or even his tongue. He has ability to shape-shift into other opponent and even he could create vents to crawl through them, making him undetected by fighters.
Although, if he had full moveset in the game, it would be based on Rivals of Aether moveset and BrawlFan1's moveset.
He could be Middleweight character with double jumps and no additional moveset options.

I nominate Impostor, because his game was successful in 2020 and it became a cult following game. Also, Mobile game representation would be nice and unique.
Also, Impostor could have wonderful moveset in the game and his aesthetic could fit in the fighting game.
Job 62: Red (Angry Birds)

If we're talking mobile games, we cannot go without submitting this furious fowl. The Angry Birds franchise has taken the world by storm, with millions of downloads, two feature films, and a dedicated fanbase. Plus, with the original game recently having been returned to app stores, what better time for Red to launch into battle?

Job 63: Cardboard Box (Cut the Rope)

While I wouldn't be opposed to Om Nom himself being playable, I feel like a stage based on Cut the Rope would also be really neat regardless if he gets in or not. This could be like the game's equivalent to Smash's Super Mario Maker stage, featuring a randomly designed layout featuring cardboard soft platforms, whoopie cushions, spikes, and other hazards/items from the Cut the Rope games!
Job 62: The Chicken (Crossy Road)

View attachment 350319

Crossy Road was one of the most popular mobile indie games in the 2010s and I remember playing this game soundly with my younger brother as a teen. Who better to represent the game than the Chicken that is the app icon? Hipster Whale, the developing team behind Crossy Road got to work on a spinoff with Disney called Disney Crossy Road that has Disney characters so there is some mainstream recognition. For the moveset, the Chicken can summon cars and the eagle for recovery. Also, even the logs too and all. A crazy moveset. Crossy Road definitely deserves some recognition in the game.

Job 63: Flappy Pipeyard (Flappy Bird)

View attachment 350320

Flappy Bird also deserves recognition too as the game was one of the big apps during 2013. However, it got taken down from the App Store due to Nintendo suing the developers for the pipes being too similar to the Mario pipes. Basically, the stage will be a walk-off stage with the pipes as platforms. Flappy Bird will come in as a hazard and give damage to any fighters he runs into.

View attachment 350322

Mobile Stage:
View attachment 350324
Subway Surfers

Job 62:GingerBrave (Cookie Run)

View attachment 350299

GingerBrave is the Main Protagonist of a mobile game series called Cookie Run that was created by a South Korean company called Devsisters. GingerBrave is the first cookie to escape a witch's oven,his reason for come to life is unknown,but there is a rumor that says that the witch accidentally used magic power instead of ginger powder.

a lot of people know Cookie Run because of Cookie Run: Kingdom and Cookie Run: Ovenbreak, and the Cookie Run series is not current, the first Cookie Run game was released on 2009.

Job 63:Legitimate Research (Jetpack Joyride)

well,it was too hard choose any mobile game as a stage rep,i think that Jetpack Joyride it's a good choice i want choose Fruit Ninja but i think it would turn out very well,so let's go. the stage is a straight field and it works like the original game,it would be similar to Mushroomy Kingdom only it's a replica of the Jetpack Joyride rooms instead of World 1-1 of Super Mario Bros. from NES, the scientists and coins don't appear on stage,but appears missiles,lasers and zappers and these obstacles from the original game are stage hazards,sometimes the stage randomly changes of scenery,as a room,a lab,a glass room with a forest background,a volcano cave,a underground aquarium,a warehouse,a normal cave,a glass room with a hills background and a cave with gold and a hallway and sometimes one or two or three metallic platforms appears on stage.
View attachment 350388
Spinki Falling (Swing Copters 2)

The main character of Swing Copters 2, a game that the creator of Flappy Bird made. I think he's cute and could have a fun moveset.
Voting for fighters and stages ends tomorrow evening, and the top two of each will make it into the game.

Only one new job tonight, but it's a fun one (in theory):

Job 64: Submit up to 10 online PFPs!
no i totally didn't steal this from the mario smash thread what are you talking about

Simply put, please submit up to ten pieces of artwork which would serve as the basis for online PFPs (profile pictures). Try to stick to franchises represented by fighters for now (I'm not opposed to a few non-fighter franchises being represented, but I have other plans for them). Unlike most jobs, there will be no voting for this job; All submissions will be accepted within reason.

Also, just as a heads up, there won't be a new job on Sunday. Take the time off and enjoy Easter if you celebrate it!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. Red
2. Impostor
3. Chicken

1. Pipeyard
2. Box

Last edited by a moderator:

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
1. Red (Red's are my favorite species of birds)
2. The Chicken (Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to the stupid person's house... Sorry, I forgot the rest of the joke, when I was typing this I heard a chicken outside my house and it made me completely forget what I was talking about)
3. Impostor (It'll bring loads of attention to the game which means more people get to know about, uh, the horrors of Big The Jonathan)

Big The Jonathan

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Profile Pics (not sure if I should put them in spoiler tags or not)

A Hat In Time:

Hat Kid sunglasses.png
snatcher.png
mustache girl.png
nyakuza.png
dj grooves.png
hat kid.png

Hades:

zagreus.png
hades.png
cerberus.png
megaera.png

(the quality of some of the images might not have turned out great, but I worked with what I had)

Last edited:
Top Bottom