• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate Leak Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Nintendo pays the bills. Their dime, their game.
Correction, their AND SEGA's game.

Both companies own the publishing rights to 2, while Sega exclusively has the rights to 1. I fail to see how that doesn't qualify as third party.

Sonic Lost World was initially developed for Wii U exclusively, with assistance by Nintendo, and even had Nintendo themed DLC, so does that make Sonic a Nintendo property now? Or make Lost World a first party Nintendo game?

SEGA is still credited in Bayo's copyright. She still belongs to them.

If that still isn't enough, Bayonetta go a Pachislot game in 2015 as well, almost a year after Bayo 2 was released. Guess who's name WASN'T on it?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No series has ever gotten into Smash by virtue of appearing on a Nintendo console once.

The number of PAC-MAN, Mega Man, Castlevania, and Final Fantasy games across Nintendo's history is staggering and span decades. Even Sonic and Metal Gear had multi-game histories, with Mario vs. Sonic being a cultural phenomenon central to the identity of both companies in the 90s.

Shulk and Bayonetta are de facto first party characters.
I also love moving goalposts.
This released in December 2015. It was literally what I was referring to.

Sakurai has spoken positively of Minecraft. He's also spoken positively about the majority of major successful games.

Expecting Minecraft "Steve" is as rational as expecting the default character from Fortnight, or Helmet-guy from PUBG, or random chick from Granblue. None of these series have anything to do with Nintendo, particularly as it relates to the time window of Smash's development.
If you think Fortnite has no chance at representation in future games you're only lying to yourself.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Minecraft appeared on Nintendo hardware exactly zero times before planning started for Ultimate.
Sakuari was probably aware of it coming. He usually knows about upcoming releases on Nintendo platforms ahead of time...

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If you think Fortnite has no chance at representation in future games you're only lying to yourself.
It really all depends on if Fortnite stands the test of time like Minecraft does.

However, the content and style of gameplay for Fortnite doesn't lend itself to longevity quite as well as Minecraft does.

Fortnite seems invincible now, but there's certainly a possibility that eventually it will fade out to an extent.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Minecraft appeared on Nintendo hardware exactly zero times before planning started for Ultimate.
Yes and we all remember the n64 Classic Final Fantasy 7... err 4 i mean. Cloud Strife sure has a history on nintendo consoles don't he. Isn't one of a handful of games thats never been on a nintendo console at all til recently /s

I get it, I think Steve is a silly choice too, but cmon.

D

Deleted member

Shulk and Bayonetta are de facto first party characters.
But...her games are on Steam.

Nintendo's releasing first-party games on Steam now?

...Honestly, let's just drop it. There's no point in arguing this when both sides here feel very strongly and aren't gonna change their mind. Heck, he might not even be in anyway, let's just agree to disagree and see what happens. :p

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Steve? is more or less the big name of 2010's. I never played Minecraft in my life, but in a roster with the likes of Cloud (who has an almost non-existent connection with Nintendo), then Steve? is not out of place. Minecraft is a gaming phenomenon, and Smash Bros. as a whole has moved on to celebrating gaming as a whole. The analogy about Smash forum/social media goers venting about Isabelle yet clamoring for Geno is case in point that they think the entire roster should be determined by whoever wins online popularity contests or whoever has the loudest yelling fanboys. Sakurai is striking the right balance so far with Ultimate's newcomer selection. Besides, I am absolutely confident Geno is going to be DLC if he is not on the base roster. He is right now might be the ONLY character Sakurai himself has said that he wants to see playable that is not currently playable.

Just be patient.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm not a fan of Steve, not because I hate kids or whatever I just don't like his design, but Minecraft deserves at least some representation.
It is HUGE, everyone was into it, I was into it when I was younger. If any third party deserves to be in it's Steve.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
But...her games are on Steam.

Nintendo's releasing first-party games on Steam now?

...Honestly, let's just drop it. There's no point in arguing this when both sides here feel very strongly and aren't gonna change their mind. Heck, he might not even be in anyway, let's just agree to disagree and see what happens. :p
"Games"
It's just Bayo 1 on steam.

Which came out after Bayo 2, emphasising Nintendo doesn't own it. It's a third party series that Nintendo likes to finance and publish. Not sure about how many other third party titles they finance but they've published 3rd party titles before. Certainly didn't grant them ownership of the games.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Steve? is more or less the big name of 2010's. I never played Minecraft in my life, but in a roster with the likes of Cloud (who has an almost non-existent connection with Nintendo), then Steve? is not out of place. Minecraft is a gaming phenomenon, and Smash Bros. as a whole has moved on to celebrating gaming as a whole. The analogy about Smash forum/social media goers venting about Isabelle yet clamoring for Geno is case in point that they think the entire roster should be determined by whoever wins online popularity contests or whoever has the loudest yelling fanboys. Sakurai is striking the right balance so far with Ultimate's newcomer selection. Besides, I am absolutely confident Geno is going to be DLC if he is not on the base roster. He is right now might be the ONLY character Sakurai himself has said that he wants to see playable that is not currently playable.

Just be patient.
Think Sakurai wanted Heihachi in Smash 4 as well

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
It's true that Geno is an "irrelevant" character who's only major appearance was in a spin-off as a side character, but the fact that so many die-hard fans want him is exactly what makes him a good pick for Ultimate, plain and simple.

Last edited:

hposter

Smash Apprentice
off topic, but can everybody on this thread please just stop harassing people for not liking steve
kthxbye

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I still disagree with people who say October will be a no-news month. Regardless of what Sakurai says this is the big month to start generating hype as November will be Pokemon’s time to shine.

D

Deleted member

"Games"
It's just Bayo 1 on steam.
Ah, my bad, I assumed it was both. Regardless, if she was truly first-party that would imply Nintendo owns the rights to the franchise, which they don't. She's about as much a first party as Sonic the Hedgehog is.

Chrono.

I'm not a fan of wanting characters just to see reactions but...

It'd be real interesting to see how folks would react to Steve. I'm also interested in how he'd translate to Smash given how stiff his movements in Minecraft are.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

It'd be real interesting to see how folks would react to Steve. I'm also interested in how he'd translate to Smash given how stiff his movements in Minecraft are.
Etika smashes his shelf and you hear the Minecraft ground breaking noise

D

Deleted member

Are you seriously talking **** about K. Rool?
Yes
goku confirmed

everyone gets the default dance as a taunt in an update
I'd pay for that tbh
It really all depends on if Fortnite stands the test of time like Minecraft does.

However, the content and style of gameplay for Fortnite doesn't lend itself to longevity quite as well as Minecraft does.

Fortnite seems invincible now, but there's certainly a possibility that eventually it will fade out to an extent.
All it needs is constant support because all the updates help to keep the game a lot. The ingame events that change the map are genuinely some of the best things no modern game has managed to replicate and that's the feeling of mystery, to have game content in the age of the internet not be known until the moment it happens live ingame is a thing to behold.
Not to mention constant updates to balance, general map changes, new weapons and items and all the gamemodes it keeps putting in.

By the time Smash 6 comes out, we'll be playing For2nite

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Eh. My biggest reason for wanting Geno, despite me myself not caring too much for the character, is to be able to see the fandom rejoice like we did for Ridley and K. Rool. I really think Geno is the last character capable of doing that.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Eh. My biggest reason for wanting Geno is to be able to see the fandom rejoice like we did for Ridley and K. Rool. I really think Geno is the last character capable of doing that.
But that's a positive reaction. The implication with Steve is he's going to be a much more controversial character.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Completely separate from their chances, It’s so funny to think that Minecraft Steve and Shadow the Hedgehog are now legitimate characters candidates that get talked about. Like I’m pretty sure these two were text book examples of “meme characters” back in Smash 4, almost considered among the likes of Sherk and Goku. Strange how things change so drastically in just a few years.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I think he'd generate much more positivity.

Even if some of it isn't vocal.
I think he'd be better received to people outside of the current Smash fanbase.

It's the people who currently feel a sense of ownership over everything Smash that I don't see being as enthusiastic.

Chrono.

I think DLC will cover the slightly more niche but still popular characters.

Like Geno, Isaac, Bandana Dee, etc.

Its why I'm not exactly worried about certain characters not making base.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I will say that if Steve gets in he'll probably be one of the characters I play the least.
Even back when I was into Minecraft it was more about the world and what you were building, I never liked Steve. His weird blocky smile always freaked young me out.

I'm not opposed to Minecraft content, and I won't get pissed if Steve is in the game, but I don't like Steve.

Last edited:

Atlas2398

Smash Cadet
For people saying october will have no info/newcomers:

Sakurai said they will slow down newcomer reveals. If there is only 1 direct left, there is no way to slow down reveals unless newcomers are revealed outside of directs, which isn't done, therefore there has to be 2 "directs". Given their current system of news every month, I would expect news in October and November.

Also I think steve would be kinda cool.

D

Deleted member

Last thing I'll say because I forgot to mention it and it just popped in my head, saying Bayo is a Nintendo IP just because they funded the sequel is like saying Street Fighter V (which was initially funded by Sony) or Persona 5 are Sony IPs because of source of funding/the developer's choice of hardware.

Again though, let's just agree to disagree. If he's in, cool, if not, oh well. I'm not even predicting or saying he definitely is, and even if I was, I'm human: I can be wrong. :p

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
My opinion on Steve is iffy. I don't think his inclusion would "open the floodgates" like many seem to believe, but I kinda feel like him being in Smash is a little awkward. I don't know, maybe it's because this community has been conditioned for years to write him off in the same manner as Shrek or Goku, but something about him being in Smash feels off. Not necessarily in a bad way, but not a good way either. But I mean, hey! My little brother would be happy to see him in, so there's that. :)

Untouch

Smash Master
I cannot possibly think of a way to make Steve work without resorting to weird bendy limbs, which is going against what the character is and is uncharacteristic of Sakurai.

BTW no, R.O.B doesn't have stuff limbs so he really isn't comparable here.
I feel like people only want him because the game is popular which has never been a reason to add a character.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Minecraft's world is a big part of the game, but so is surviving and collecting resources and such, which you need a character to do.

Also Steve could still have stiff limbs, just make it so they can go in all directions instead of just two, which Steve is already capable of doing if we reference the new swimming animation and the very old, silly walking animation. The only thing I see that could be a problem is the jumping animation.

I think he'd be better received to people outside of the current Smash fanbase.

It's the people who currently feel a sense of ownership over everything Smash that I don't see being as enthusiastic.
I understand the main, vocal portion of the fanbase may have a lot of haters, but I think they would choose Steve to appeal to the majority.

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Last thing I'll say because I forgot to mention it and it just popped in my head, saying Bayo is a Nintendo IP just because they funded the sequel is like saying Street Fighter V (which was initially funded by Sony) or Persona 5 are Sony IPs because of source of funding/the developer's choice of hardware.

Again though, let's just agree to disagree. If he's in, cool, if not, oh well. I'm not even predicting or saying he definitely is, and even if I was, I'm human: I can be wrong. :p
Let's really be honest here, Bayonetta basically is a first party Nintendo title at this point.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

Well I mean Bayonetta 2 and 3 only exist because of Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom