• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well you did forget

:ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultdarkpit:

The argument is that among all the Links and the two Pits what would the Owl bring to the table? The way I see if were not playing it like say Green Arrow or Hawkeye, we're left with a palette swap of :ultfalco: with traps?

Now if every move he has like Brave Bird and the like, we're done with arrows, that'd be something. But nothing suggests that.

Also, I understand what Sakurai has said, however, if you've been paying attention to A LOT of stuff the tiger was the center of the action from the start, like the early start.
Claiming that "the Links and the Pits having a single move that uses a bow and arrow invalidates Decidueye" is equally as stupid as saying "Bowser having the Flying Slam invalidates Incineroar," which you've been on-record as being against.

To say otherwise is to be clouded by your own biases.

etano

Smash Cadet
Low key though:

A lot of people look back on Smash 4 speculation and hate it, while I loved it.

I feel the exact opposite this cycle.

Between Grinch Hoax, Loz18, Box wars, Music Theory, Blog Theory.... were it not for the community, I would have mentally checked out a long time ago.
I also loved Smash 4. Everyone seems to disagree with me.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Here is a comprehensive short essay as to why our lord and Savior, Bub:bubblebobble:, WILL be the next DLC character.

1.Square Enix Character
Some leakers, most notably Vergeben, have constantly insisted on there being a Square Enix character in the game. Now, what franchise is owned by Square Enix? Well, a lot of franchises, actually. But Bubble Bobble is among that list. Now, why that over, say, Sephiroth? Or Sora? OR even a Chocobo? Well, to put it simply, all those characters suck. Really. They just do. Science is never wrong. But Bub? Classic design, and last I checked, he doesn't really suck. once again, science is not wrong. Though one could argue that we never truly know something, and we only think we know, therefore all science, even modern science, is outdated in its own way. However, I do believe Bub transcends such philosophical mysteries, because as stated before, Bub in fact does NOT suck.

2. Stats of "brave"
The current "brave" leak leaves many speculating on what popular fictional character would fit into these stats. After all, he is as small as Ness, and slides a bit as he turn around. What other character could this fit the description of? Elderichk from Draco Adventure? Don't think so, liberals. Maybe Chocobo, from Chocobo's mystery dungeon? Not a chance. バブルン* however, is fairly slippery. After all, Bub-kun is known for shooting bubbles. And how many of us have handled a bottle of bubbles that was in fact, not slippery?

3. The Qu'ran
This one is pretty obvious, so I'm not gonna bother explaining it.

*Japanese for Bub, pronounced "Bubblun"

Last edited:

etano

Smash Cadet
Here is a comprehensive short essay as to why our lord and Savior, Bub:bubblebobble:, WILL be the next DLC character.

1.Square Enix Character
Some leakers, most notably Vergeben, have constantly insisted on there being a Square Enix character in the game. Now, what franchise is owned by Square Enix? Well, a lot of franchises, actually. But Bubble Bobble is among that list. Now, why that over, say, Sephiroth? Or Sora? OR even a Chocobo? Well, to put it simply, all those characters suck. Really. They just do. Science is never wrong. But Bub? Classic design, and last I checked, he doesn't really suck. once again, science is not wrong. Though one could argue that we never truly know something, and we only think we know, therefore all science, even modern science, is outdated in its own way. However, I do believe Bub transcends such philosophical mysteries, because as stated before, Bub in fact does NOT suck.

2. Stats of "brave"
The current "brave" leak leaves many speculating on what popular fictional character would fit into these stats. After all, he is as small as Ness, and slides a bit as he turn around. What other character could this fit the description of? Elderichk from Draco Adventure? Don't think so, liberals. Maybe Chocobo, from Chocobo's mystery dungeon? Not a chance. バブルン* however, is fairly slippery. After all, Bub-kun is known for shooting bubbles. And how many of us have handled a bottle of bubbles that was in fact, not slippery?

3. The Qu'ran
This one is pretty obvious, so I'm not gonna bother explaining it.

*Japanese for Bub, pronounced "Bubblun"
yeah okay cool thanks

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
So it’s a small short character of some sort?

I’m guessing either:

-Geno (If Spirits don’t deconfirm)
-Erdrick (Classic design)
-Steve
-Someone else, possibly a “cutesy” kind of character.
- As far as I remember, Geno is the same height as Mario.
- Makes sense.
- Steve should be a little taller than Mario, I think.
- Slime from Dragon Quest.
Y'know you could just play Persona Q 2.

or an SMT game.
I'm currently playing Persona Q2 and I highly recommend it. The only problem is that it's Japanese only, so if you don't know much, you'll be kinda lost.

I'll miss this thread when it's gone. This was where I first introduced myself and where I made my first friends in this forum. I hope the new thread can be as welcoming to new users as this thread was to me. You guys are awesome.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
True... it's just... we have so many memories with this thread...

It has the entirety of Smash Ultimate's base game speculation cycle on it, and it's gonna be sad to see it go...
well good thing for the NintenZone

Pakky

Smash Hero
Claiming that "the Links and the Pits having a single move that uses a bow and arrow invalidates Decidueye" is equally as stupid as saying "Bowser having the Flying Slam invalidates Incineroar," which you've been on-record as being against.

To say otherwise is to be clouded by your own biases.
Flying Slam isn't as diverse as Aloan Whip. Timing results in three different actions, one of them being completely unsuccessful. So I wouldn't call that a good comparison.

What would he do differently?

We have fast arrows, fire arrows, double shot arrows, Multi-directional arrows.

A set is possible but its uniqueness would be subjective. That's just an opinion though, which regardless doesn't matter now.

KMDP

Smash Legend
True... it's just... we have so many memories with this thread...

It has the entirety of Smash Ultimate's base game speculation cycle on it, and it's gonna be sad to see it go...
Here you go, Smashing Ramen.
A soundtrack for your melancholy.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Flying Slam isn't as diverse as Aloan Whip. Timing results in three different actions, one of them being completely unsuccessful. So I wouldn't call that a good comparison.

A set is possible but its uniqueness would be subjective. That's just an opinion though, which regardless doesn't matter now.
For it not mattering, you sure do love trying to bring it up whenever you can.

Pakky

Smash Hero
For it not mattering, you sure do love trying to bring it up whenever you can.
I was just taking the piss out of the argument due to people being so adamant about him joining way back.

Despite hindsight being 20/20 and the tiger was the prime candidate the whole time. I understand Sakurai's statement, but Pokemon Company ain't that hard to read.
:ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar:

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

I dunno, fast, fire, and double, and steering arrows are literally all the same move mapped to the same button with slight modifications made to them.

If you want to see an actual archer character in a fighting game, I recommend looking at Yukari from P4AU or Hawkeye from MvC or even Decidueye himself in Pokken. There's dozens of ways you can make an archer character that isn't "neutral B shoots an arrow of varying properties." Also he's a bird which is an avenue that's unexplored as hell. Yes, even by Falco.

Honestly, this is very remniscient of the Little Mac debates on his boxing nature and the common complaint "But he would just punch stuff. People already punch stuff."

Last edited:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
As this thread fades away like a dandelion's seeds being blown away by a wishful young child, my only request is to be remembered as someone who consistently posted nothing but straight fire. That is the only legacy I wish to leave behind.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I was just taking the piss out of the argument due to people being so adamant about him joining way back.

Despite hindsight being 20/20 and the tiger was the prime candidate the whole time. I understand Sakurai's statement, but Pokemon Company ain't that hard to read.
:ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar:
But the reasons you've been spouting about him being the "prime candidate" were ultimately pointless and irrelevant to why Incineroar actually got in. Incineroar literally only got in because

1) Sakurai saved a spot for a Pokémon
2) Sakurai wanted a wrestler

That's...literally it. To say "Incineroar got in due to the anime and being pushed by TPC" is literally the equivalent of saying "Decidueye will be picked because he's a Grass starter." It's a reason that was, in the end, irrelevant.

So why be overly smug and prideful about something you weren't even fully correct on? Being right for the wrong reason and then bragging about it just makes you a sore winner, especially when no one had said anything prior to prompt it.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Honestly, this is very remniscient of the Little Mac debates on his boxing nature and the common complaint "But he would just punch stuff. People already punch stuff."
He doesn't just punch stuff!

He punches stuff a lot!

There's a difference!

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
As this thread fades away like a dandelion's seeds being blown away by a wishful young child, my only request is to be remembered as someone who consistently posted nothing but straight fire. That is the only legacy I wish to leave behind.
But that meant other people couldn't post fire because that would make them redundant. Then came the ever-escalating ****posts until the thread got locked.

TLDR: it's all your fault they're tired of us.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Heard we're getting archived soon;

Haven't been posting frequently for quite a while now as most of my time has been in the Squenix thread.
But I love you guys. I'm looking forward to returning after the Squenix character is confirmed and spending time discussing Smash with my regulars again.

<3

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I should check out this fabled Square Enix thread.

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
I know I really didn’t post here often and I don’t think anyone really got to know me too well but I think this thread has truly been so fun...some of the more frequent users...I feel like I somehow know your personalities just from a thread about a video game...which is cool
Basically peace out thread, it’s been cool, it’s been fun, it’s been dramatic, and it’s certainly been weird...but it was fab-fab-fab
;*

(This post makes it seem like there legit just wont be another thread created WHICH coincides perfectly with the “dramatic” part of the thread I referenced...and potentially fabulous)
;*
Xoxo

Iridium

Smash Hero

Haven't been posting frequently for quite a while now as most of my time has been in the Squenix thread.
But I love you guys. I'm looking forward to returning after the Squenix character is confirmed and spending time discussing Smash with my regulars again.

<3
I've been waiting for a while...

Pakky

Smash Hero
I dunno, fast, fire, and double, and steering arrows are literally all the same move mapped to the same button with slight modifications made to them.

If you want to see an actual archer character in a fighting game, I recommend looking at Yukari from P4AU or Hawkeye from MvC or even Decidueye himself in Pokken. There's dozens of ways you can make an archer character that isn't "neutral B shoots an arrow of varying properties." Also he's a bird which is an avenue that's unexplored as hell. Yes, even by Falco.

See now the reason why the Little Mac stuff is odd to me is that there was no Boxer in Smash. All fighting games have Boxer types as all of them have wrestlers.

I brought up

Also Green arrow is good

Just as good as the other two, though if I said there was a lot of projectile variety I'd be lying

Noipoi

Howdy!

<3
So that's where you were!

I know where i'm going~

Pakky

Smash Hero
But the reasons you've been spouting about him being the "prime candidate" were ultimately pointless and irrelevant to why Incineroar actually got in. Incineroar literally only got in because

1) Sakurai saved a spot for a Pokémon
2) Sakurai wanted a wrestler

That's...literally it. To say "Incineroar got in due to the anime and being pushed by TPC" is literally the equivalent of saying "Decidueye will be picked because he's a Grass starter." It's a reason that was, in the end, irrelevant.

So why be overly smug and prideful about something you weren't even fully correct on? Being right for the wrong reason and then bragging about it just makes you a sore winner, especially when no one had said anything prior to prompt it.
Welp. You've defeated me, I'm done.

But keep this in mind not everything Sakurai says is gospel.

He could have said he wanted Incenroar in because he was 'red, and it would be just as valid.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I guess I should offer my sympathies as well.

Don't worry, I'll still lurk around the next social thread like I always do, and post every so often when I can shoehorn Dovahkiin or Tails into the conversation I see something I can talk about. I've always been more of a lurker anyway.

not that kind

It's funny - I never really used to post in general threads - I stuck to the K.Rool and Ridley threads during the Sm4sh speculation era, but the support threads I'm interested in have been really quiet this round. And this thread has been loads of fun to see. I love seeing all of the art that gets posted and all of the fun personalities around...I'll refrain from listing people to avoid forgetting anyone :shades: But don't worry, you're all great.

It's been great, everyone. See you on the other side.

Now won't it be awkward if this thread keeps going for a week or so now that we've all said our goodbyes...

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I guess I should offer my sympathies as well.

Don't worry, I'll still lurk around the next social thread like I always do, and post every so often when I can shoehorn Dovahkiin or Tails into the conversation I see something I can talk about. I've always been more of a lurker anyway.

not that kind

It's funny - I never really used to post in general threads - I stuck to the K.Rool and Ridley threads during the Sm4sh speculation era, but the support threads I'm interested in have been really quiet this round. And this thread has been loads of fun to see. I love seeing all of the art that gets posted and all of the fun personalities around...I'll refrain from listing people to avoid forgetting anyone :shades: But don't worry, you're all great.

It's been great, everyone. See you on the other side.

Now won't it be awkward if this thread keeps going for a week or so now that we've all said our goodbyes...
My Dragonborn buddy!!! I better see you often!!!

D

Deleted member

Look, I'm the big Incineroar guy, but Opo has a point here.
You're using hindsight to argue Alolan Whip in this case since no one really knew about that particular technique until after the reveal....

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
So we are doing thread goodbyes or something now? lol.

Well since I might be heading off for the night soon I think I might just join in.

Had an account here for a while but started seriously posting here around Isabelle's reveal I guess? Been a fun time and probably one of the best places considering I could say Im a furry here without being unpersoned or treated like trash so that is nice. Hoping to spend more time here through the DLC cycle as well.

Either way thanks guys for having me and in case the thread gets archived while Im out.

furrythankyou.png

Just thank you all for having me here and being cool and all. See ya guys either later tonight or tomorrow, depends on when I sleep hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom