• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I mean, he didn't say that.

"These are going to be characters that are new to the series"

Are his exact words.
To be fair, Reggie says "like Joker", implying it extends to franchises without a playable rep in Smash, but to prove your point regarding Reggie's statement, he starts to talk about it right here:

I also think that you can take the statement at face value and surmise that we can still get reps from pre-existing franchises, so I agree with you. That being said, I can totally see where people can get these assumptions about the character packs. The allusion to Joker can also imply that characters like him (in terms of franchise surprises) are what Nintendo was looking for. Given how predictable another Fire Emblem rep and a Pokemon rep are, those two end up being contradictory to Reggie's statement regarding the element of surprise. Just some food for thought, you know?

I always knew it was gonna happen eventually.
I just hoped that when that time came... maybe Atlus would throw mainline a bone and get out those old-school roots like Konami.

You can only bet on an underdog for so long before you want to see your bets actually amount to something.

Anyway,
1. Doomslayer
2. Ryu Hayabusa
3. Dante
4. Nightmare.
All relevant.
All popular.
All in the public eye
All with a snowball's chance of winning.

I'm tired of being let down, ONE of these guys will take it.
Out of those 4, I'm gunning for Dante being the most likely candidate, followed by Ryu Hyabusa, then Doomslayer, and finally Nightmare. Dante's and Hyabusa's chances are looking really hot, hotter than ever I say. Also, I find it amusing how your entire list is comprised of characters having something to do with demons, but I ain't complaining!

>Congratulating people for Joker getting in
>Not congratulating the OG Joker fan here who got laughed at for his niche pick

:mad:
Wasn't my intention to leave you out, my dude! I actually went to the support thread and gathered up everyone that was available in it, so I might miss a person or two. I'll add you right now!
I_Like_Your_Attitude!.png

I can't believe I wasn't congratulated either. I've been here, supporting him since day 1 of Ultimate speculation! I think I deserve a little respect!

i'm not serious in case it wasn't clear please don't be mad at me for being rude
Too bad. Tagged you as well <:v

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I still can't believe that in one night, all those claims about...
  • Minecraft repped as boss only
  • then Steve? from Minecraft is in
  • Katalina from Granblue Fantasy joins the roster
  • first DLC character will be the "2nd Square rep"
  • nobody past 2014 will make it in
Got completely ****ed by a THIRD Sony-known icon in the industry in Smash Bros. Guess Chad Warden was always right.

SONY ALWAYS WINS, BABY.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Oh, to anyone who played MSGV AND know what just happened at end of the Ground Zeroes
there's some dark humor with one of MSG spirits

Yes, I'm serious. This is ****ing real, what has Sakurai done.
basically, Paz died from bomb in her bottom at end of ground zeroes, and well... you get what I am saying here.

D

Deleted member

I just wanna know how we gone from having very low expectations to now sky's the ****ing limit.

Like, I'm not even joking, I really do think Master Chief has a legitimate shot now, and characters like Crash Bandicoot and Banjo-Kazooie never had a much better chance than ever.

I'm sorry for doubting you once again, Nintendo.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I just wanna know how we gone from having very low expectations to now sky's the ****ing limit.

Like, I'm not even joking, I really do think Master Chief has a legitimate shot now, and characters like Crash Bandicoot and Banjo-Kazooie never had a much better chance than ever.

If we get Crash Bandicoot, the de-facto mascot of Sony, in Smash Bros., Nintendo will have ultimately (heh) cucked Sony out of Sony Smash Bros. characters. It'll be even better if we get Sora too.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I just want to see Skyrim footage of the Dragonborn strolling through town and then getting greeted by the courier with a “This letter is for you. Didn’t say who it was from but looks important.” Dragonborn accepts it and opens up his inventory to read it.

Smash symbol wax imprint for seal.

Opens it up....

“Smashing”

Suddenly, a roar is heard overhead and two large dragons land. One is lanky and purple and one is orange with fire on the end of its tail.

And we don’t ever get to see Dragonborn once.

Shroob

Sup?
Oh, to anyone who played MSGV AND know what just happened at end of the Ground Zeroes

basically, Paz died from bomb in her bottom at end of ground zeroes, and well... you get what I am saying here.
God ****ing damnit.

I feel bad about laughing here, but, if this is a coincidence, oh my god.

Shroob

Sup?
Huh, so the European LE box art uses the Isabelle banner instead of the complete one.

Speaking of which, have we any footage/images of our favorite box being opened?

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

WOOOW! That is humor even George Carlin would go "Damn, that's a little risque". XD

KMDP

Smash Legend
Guys, you know what feels great?

Bull****ting your way into a victory against a Legend-class Spirit.

I encountered Deoxys (Normal) on the Spirit Board, and faced him with Lucario. Deoxys is a Mewtwo holding a Pokéball, he immediately throws it down and Deoxys himself appears, the stage is Omega Mario Galaxy (I think, it might be Battlefield). I got thrown around a bit until I had ~170% damage, which had filled up my FS Meter, Mewtwo had about 37% damage, I triggered Lucario's Final Smash near the top of the screen, and Mewtwo was directly below me. He took the full brunt of the attack and died.

Unfortunately, I missed the shot to free Deoxys, and didn't have enough SP to take another. So...

I also have a guaranteed Cammy if I can find her (and beat her) on the Spirit Board again; I used all items and somehow missed the shot twice (I'm usually good at Free the Spirit, I swear!).

Finally, don't bother trying to face Rex (Advanced, I think) or Pyra (Legend) if you don't have the ability to render yourself immune to Lava (not just resistant), because Pyra sets the whole stage on fire (unlike most "The Stage is [x]" Spirit Battles, where only the bottom floor is changed), you'll get thrown around unable to do much of anything (except Aerial attacks), while Shulk (Rex) and Lucina (Pyra) whale on you with Fire Bars.

I just want to see Skyrim footage of the Dragonborn strolling through town and then getting greeted by the courier with a “This letter is for you. Didn’t say who it was from but looks important.” Dragonborn accepts it and opens up his inventory to read it.
It would be great but for all that to really feels true to Skyrim's gameplay, you'd only had to add one ''''minor'''' bug... like... idk, the courier arrives but he's naked for absolutely no reason:
:p

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Pokemon Trainer feels so good in this game. I just had three matches against a fairly competent Sheik and Squirtle was able to beat out some of her attacks. Frame 2 jab baby! Ivy's moveset feels a bit more awkward to me but her Fair and Bair are still good, and I really do love that F-smash. And then of course there's Charizard, who is a monster with the universal ground speed buff as well as his larger-then-average air speed buff. Combine that with his amazing U-smash and U-Throw and finishing off stocks feels both satisfying and easy. And I've only accidentally tried to Rock Smash once!

I was planning on maining Pokemon Trainer before release and I have zero regrets in doing so. They feel just as good as I expected them to. Heck, Charizard feels even better then I thought he would.

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice

I honestly think Crash has a real chance as a tie-in when Crash Racing comes out. I think Nintendo will think they have a real good shot at swaying a lot of people to buy the game on Switch for portability. That could turn into a big seller for them.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
At this rate, that game is gonna come to the Switch. Joker in Smash isn't JUST gonna be for "hey, it's him!" While for the longest time, Persona 5 has been known as a Sony exclusive, so was Crash and NieR Automata, and look what happened.
Nier Automata isn't a good example though. It was never meant to be a PS4 exclusive. The game's director simply decided it would be easier to focus on only one console for development to stick to the game's smaller budget. He's said multiple times before the Xbox version ever released that he wanted the game to be on other consoles.

Back me up here, NineS NineS .

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I think that the thing the Smash community needs to remember that while Reggie did say “unexpected”, I think this applies to the normies. Masters of Smash Speculation such as us are not broadsides but unexpected announcements. We might be startled but not taken by surprise.

Steve? is an unexpected character by a normie view. To us, he’s Thursday’s dinner topic.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I played a little bit of Zelda (after a bajillion times playing Yoshi) and I like her so far...
She's great! I'm having so much fun with her.

...though, unexpectedly, most of my playtime is with Palutena. I played her in the last game, but this time she's a lot better.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So uh. I made a discovery over the last 24+ hours.

I suck at Smash now.

Like, I kinda more or less skipped Smash 4 after my hype died and I had no one to play with without travelling. Turns out my Melee/Brawl skills from ten ****ing years ago didn't just immediately carry over.

I am getting my **** rocked and it's not fun yet. :urg:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Even as a joke, a Skyrim trailer couldn't start with anything other than "Hey, you. You're finally awake. You were trying to cross the border, right? Walked right into that Imperial ambush, same as us, and that thief over there."

osby

Smash Obsessed
So uh. I made a discovery over the last 24+ hours.

I suck at Smash now.

Like, I kinda more or less skipped Smash 4 after my hype died and I had no one to play with without travelling. Turns out my Melee/Brawl skills from ten ****ing years ago didn't just immediately carry over.

I am getting my **** rocked and it's not fun yet. :urg:
Eh, I'm not that bad but... I think this game is significantly harder than the previous two. I won't even attempt at online play before finishing all single player content, because I have a hard time beating normal CPUs.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Oh.

I want someone to rip the band-aid off for me.

Can you get duplicate Mii Costume pieces?
Far as I am aware, no. The only times I have seen Mii costumes show up is in Classic and the Shop, and I've never gotten duplicates. I haven't even seen duplicate spirits on the spirit board (if you have one; I know that at least if you have a spirit and dismiss it, it can show back up again).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Wat even is that Joker? We literally saw nothing of his gameplay. Very hard to get excited about a character like that, especially since I don't know about him and also don't care in the slightest.

I apperantly was right when I thought the DLC characters would just be another 3rd party **** load. Good I wasn't holding out hope for anything.

Also, still haven't unlocked Diddy </3

Anyone know how to unlock Diddy, Ike and Mewtwo?

Shroob

Sup?
Wat even is that Joker? We literally saw nothing of his gameplay. Very hard to get excited about a character like that, especially since I don't know about him and also don't care in the slightest.

I apperantly was right when I thought the DLC characters would just be another 3rd party **** load. Good I wasn't holding out hope for anything.

Ah, I was waiting for the Nintendo purists.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

I don't know if this pattern is correct, but personally:

I got Ike with Little Mac, who I got with Mewtwo, who I got with Wolf.

Diddy Kong I got with Greninja, who I got with Sheik.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't know if this pattern is correct, but personally:

I got Ike with Little Mac, who I got with Mewtwo, who I got with Wolf.

Diddy Kong I got with Greninja, who I got with Sheik.
I literally got none of those characters tho.

Unlocking characters seems so random. I mean, I even got Richter before Simon Belmont currently.

I just wanna Hoo-Hah :urg:

osby

Smash Obsessed

I mean... do you really need to see how a character plays to get excited for it? We've been shown a phantom thieve that summons a demon with his mask and does all kinds of acrobatic stuff, not to mention his teammates gave decent amount of context.

This at least should give you an idea about what to expect.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I mean... do you really need to see how a character plays to get excited for it? We've been shown a phantom thieve that summons a demon with his mask and does all kinds of acrobatic stuff, not to mention his teammates gave decent amount of context.

This at least should give you an idea about what to expect.
But all that stuff didn't interesst me.

Yes am biased against 3rd party characters, but this character is Playstation exclusive as of yet. Not even one appearance on Nintendo if I recall.

This is just advertisement and pure business deals. I will probably just settle with Piranha Plant and not buy the other DLC characters unless something extraordinary happens, which I doubt.

Shroob

Sup?
I really don't understand this mindset of "NOT NINTENDO, NOT INTEREST!" when Smash has been incorporating 3rd parties since Brawl, but to each their own.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
...Psst...Joker has both girls and boys loving him, and I STILL hate how I can't date Ryuji.

Anyway, I'll get my copy of SSBU Monday, I think. How is it?

osby

Smash Obsessed
But all that stuff didn't interesst me.

Yes am biased against 3rd party characters, but this character is Playstation exclusive as of yet. Not even one appearance on Nintendo if I recall.

This is just advertisement and pure business deals. I will probably just settle with Piranha Plant and not buy the other DLC characters unless something extraordinary happens, which I doubt.
If you are only interested in gameplay, why do you care about console appearances so much?

Also, "no Nintendo appearance"="advertisement" logic is stupid. If Nintendo wants to just promote something, they would choose a character from their games, like Corrin.

Plus, for a character that is "just advertisement and pure business deal", Joker got surprisingly positive reaction. It's almost like fans wanted to see him in the game. Hm...

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I really don't understand this mindset of "NOT NINTENDO, NOT INTEREST!" when Smash has been incorporating 3rd parties since Brawl, but to each their own.
A lot of people and gamers for some reason pick one company and they just.....stick to it. They die hard stan it and anything outside of it is gross and icky. Though it's a particular problem with Nintendo fans more than anyone I've noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom