• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
And honestly I wouldn't mind if 80% of our DLC is 3rd parties. Ultimate has pretty much every major Nintendo series repped at this point, and those who aren't are either Mii outfits or Assists.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's odd to see a lot of the smash community have their expectations so low after a huge announcement like this. Dream big. Theres sure to be another big surprise to come. And there could be up to 4 big surprises to come!
I mean, we got Joker. This obviously means all the other characters will be promotional characters from Nintendo games that they just put in to make their own games sell more.

Simple logic.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
I mean, we got Joker. This obviously means all the other characters will be promotional characters from Nintendo games that they just put in to make their own games sell more.

Simple logic.
I wasnt around for smash 4 dlc speculation, but I wonder if this is how people felt with Ryu.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It's odd to see a lot of the smash community have their expectations so low after a huge announcement like this. Dream big. Theres sure to be another big surprise to come. And there could be up to 4 big surprises to come!
Well my dream was this guy's direct competitor so yeah, hopes at an all time zero.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

So this was the 4chan leak with Joker on it. It was on November 24th so I don't believe it since the Spirits list I think was leaked before this list and is simply piggybacking Verge/Insiders and predictions based on missing spirits plus usual Wild Card pick(which did end up happening though).

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I would love the second one honesrly

One question tho: has something came up that has made Elma more likely lately? Last I knew she was pretty much all but deconfirmed.

Obviously hoping the best for her :p
It's basically surrounding this specific part of Reggie's statement at the VGAs: "These are going to be characters that are new to the series".

There are 2 ways to interpret this.

1. Any character that gets in will have not been playable before in a Smash game (which is kind of obvious at this point)
2. Any character that gets in will have not appeared in a previous Smash game period. (Meaning no spirits, past trophies, assists, bosses etc.)

Interpret it how you want to.

Shroob

Sup?
I haven't lost hope at all, actually quite the opposite.

Joker gave me hope that the DLC is going to be interesting, iconic 3rd party picks first and foremost.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

So this was 4chan leak with Joker on it. It was on November 24th so I don't believe it since the Spirits list I think was leaked before this list and is simply piggybacking Verge/Insiders and predictions based on missing spirits plus usual Wild Card pick(which did end up happening though).
Yeah we saw.
Not enough evidence so far to say if it was lucky or not though.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I still hope for Poochy, even if everyone's trying to put it down...

Shroob

Sup?
I'm also not super sure why everyone is soo quick to jump on the Edlegard bandwagon.

I don't know much about 3 Houses, but if Corrin and Robin have taught me anything, they'll most likely pick the Create-an-Avatar first and foremost regardless of how cool a character is.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm also not super sure why everyone is soo quick to jump on the Edlegard bandwagon.

I don't know much about 3 Houses, but if Corrin and Robin have taught me anything, they'll most likely pick the Create-an-Avatar first and foremost regardless of how cool a character is.
...but Robin and Corrin were cooler than their peers though.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It's basically surrounding this specific part of Reggie's statement at the VGAs: "These are going to be characters that are new to the series".

There are 2 ways to interpret this.

1. Any character that gets in will have not been playable before in a Smash game (which is kind of obvious at this point)
2. Any character that gets in will have not appeared in a previous Smash game period. (Meaning no spirits, past trophies, assists, bosses etc.)

Interpret it how you want to.
In general, the safest bet is its 1. Just think about it in this context:

When someone says "X is in Smash!" what's your first line of thought?

People use "in Smash" all the time to just talk about playable fighters. And Reggie was literally talking about playable fighters. Its a PR statement. The first part is basically pretty meaningless, with only "characters you wouldn't normally anticipate" being the only real tease. And that's vague as **** as well because people have different opinions on things they do/don't anticipate. Some people think that highly requested characters are seen as likely and therefore are dead, which IMO makes no sense.

Geno and Banjo are highly popular characters, and yet they're in such ****ty situations that you can't help but say they, at base value, seem extremely unlikely. Which puts both of them into this context.

I'm not arguing that, but I think 9 our of 10 people are jumping on the Edlegard wagon because "AXE USER".
Which is by far the most important factor. Robin was chosen over Chrom not for being the avatar, but for being more unique than Chrom. Corrin was chosen for being a dragon. Byleth so far is just another sword, Edelgard is EASILY the standout.

It has jack **** to do with being an avatar, and more to do with originality. Sakurai ultimately chose Corrin because he liked the dragon concept.

Not that I think we'll get a Three Houses character. But if we do get one, getting an Axe wielder is easily the standout pick over another sword. And she's got magic, too.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

You do realize that Robin and Corrin are the 2 most unique FE reps we have right?

Shroob

Sup?
You do realize that Robin and Corrin are the 2 most unique FE reps we have right?
I'm not arguing that they're not unique, but they're also the main character of their game.

Edelgard, from what very little we know, isn't? We really don't have enough to go off of right now, and from what we've seen, it looks like there could be a Create-a-character in 3 Houses.

We need more 3 Houses info is what I'm saying.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Supposedly.
That we've yet to see.
Yeah, we've yet to see it. But its still there and would be taken into consideration as part of a moveset. The axe still helps her to stand out, though.

However, I think that's a notable example of why we won't get a Three Houses character. We knew far more about Fates by the point they decided on Corrin. The game was almost released, while this time, we've gotten one trailer that didn't tell us much.

This. Being Create-a-Characters has nothing to do with why they were picked.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm not arguing that, but I think 9 our of 10 people are jumping on the Edlegard wagon because "AXE USER".
I mean... you can make an axe user a semi-clone of Ike and Smash fandom would love it, saying how unique they are compared to Robin and Corrin.

I'm half joking.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Well my dream was this guy's direct competitor so yeah, hopes at an all time zero.
I'm sorry. I understand how you feel. My most wanted seems more unlikely every day to me.

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, that leak posted prior would be a-ok with me.

3 good 3rd party picks and 2 promotional Nintendo picks would give us a balance of 3 3rd party, 3 Nintendo DLCs, and let's be real, there's going to be something at the end of all of this madness, or else there wouldn't be a single, missing box on the Stage Select Screen left.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I'm not arguing that they're not unique, but they're also the main character of their game.

Edelgard, from what very little we know, isn't? We really don't have enough to go off of right now, and from what we've seen, it looks like there could be a Create-a-character in 3 Houses.

We need more 3 Houses info is what I'm saying.
I agree that we do need more 3 Houses info to get a better idea of who to expect.

But my point still stands from before.

Just because you're an avatar character doesn't mean you have priority.

Remember that Chrom was originally considered for Smash 4, but was cut because he felt too similar to previous FE characters. Robin was added because he was more unique, not because he was an avatar.

Corrin was added because the development team though they could make an interesting, unique fighter out of him, not because he was an avatar.

So to be blunt: Being an avatar doesn't do **** to your chances.

Shroob

Sup?
Untitled.png

We know Piranha Plant isn't coming with a stage.

We know how Training Mode's stage replaces random.

So why is there enough room for SIX stages when we're only getting 5 Packs?

Makes you think.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

So this was the 4chan leak with Joker on it. It was on November 24th so I don't believe it since the Spirits list I think was leaked before this list and is simply piggybacking Verge/Insiders and predictions based on missing spirits plus usual Wild Card pick(which did end up happening though).
I hope this is true. Because I'd be really happy with that especially since Banjo (Maybe) and Sylux would be among them.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
After some thought, I've concluded that there's no way in hell Sylux is getting in this game.
IF we are to learn anything from Joker, it's that Nintendo wants to appeal to a large audience, or at the very least a large fanbase.
Sylux though? Compared to anyone from Persona 5, he's a literal nobody. Who the hell is gonna buy that.

Shroob

Sup?
After some thought, I've concluded that there's no way in hell Sylux is getting in this game.
IF we are to learn anything from Joker, it's that Nintendo wants to appeal to a large audience, or at the very least a large fanbase.
Sylux though? Compared to anyone from Persona 5, he's a literal nobody. Who the hell is gonna buy that.
If any Nintendo characters are going to be in, I'm hard pressed to imagine that they'll be for promotional purposes.

Corrin was blatantly a promo pick in Smash 4, and aside from the veterans, he was the sole Nintendo newcomer.

Last edited:

hazza5557

Smash Journeyman
Reggie said all the characters that are DLC are from series that don’t already have characters. So I don’t think we’ll be getting a fire emblem character this time. I think we might get all big third party characters.

Shroob

Sup?
Reggie said all the characters that are DLC are from series that don’t already have characters. So I don’t think we’ll be getting a fire emblem character this time. I think we might get all big third party characters.
I mean, he didn't say that.

"These are going to be characters that are new to the series"

Are his exact words.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Ugh, there are so many people I want to respond to and I wanted to make something but I got sidetracked @_@;;

For those of you who spoke to me not too long ago regarding a possible ATLUS rep, hey! Congratulations btw! Not a meaty enough response though. There will be more of that to come later (in the afternoon).

I'll get to it though... eventually...

But onto more important matters... [clears throat]

@faygoshill As a man of my word, I will change my profile picture to Morag with full support of her. The profile picture in question may be pushing the boundaries as stated in the original post, so long as it's SFW.

View attachment 182066
EDIT: If the message isn't clear, you get to choose the icon. DM it as to not ruin the "surprise".
Bah... Who am I kidding? I really want to make a ****post, but I'm too giddy over this game and the announcement from previously. Speaking of which, I'll be covering just that. Onto the good stuff before closing off with my own final thoughts! Of what, you may ask? Joker of course!

First, a HUGE congratulations to the Phandom! It must feel great getting your Most-Wanted in the roster. I can't even say, "Thank goodness it isn't Steve!" because that would be like comparing Joker to trash [smug, smug]
(I am kidding Luigi The President Luigi The President , have mercy on my 200 IQ soul).
Robertman2 Robertman2
@Xeno610
DarkAuraful DarkAuraful
Schnee117 Schnee117
Strider_Bond00J Strider_Bond00J
NintenZ NintenZ
FamicomDisk FamicomDisk
Sigran101 Sigran101
amageish amageish
CrusherMania1592 CrusherMania1592
kirbsmash kirbsmash
Freduardo Freduardo
DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon
Hinata Hinata

Seriously though, color me excited. I look forward to how they implement a Persona character in a Smash environment now, and three of my closest friends love the Persona franchise so they'll be picking up Joker, which just makes the Fighter's Pack that much more worth it as far as selections go.

Next is a retrospective into comments I already responded to. I feel like it's still worth bringing you two up. I will also include an unrelated third-party (no pun intended) at the end.
I don't really think Joker and Bayonetta are too visually similar, really. Or Aegis would fight like an Umbran Witch. Or Yu...

You know, you can just say you want Demi-fiend.
I still think they're visually similar, but as I've said in my original response, I would be A-OK with whichever Persona rep we'd get. Lo and behold, we got Joker. I was all smiles that night.

Respect for the Demi-fiend support...

Buuuuuuut Joker could easily be different from Bayonetta, honestly.
Their body language, shape, and combat abilities are pretty different and he'd only really share a similar-ish color-scheme with Bayo1, but he's a bit more red than she is.
Plus like if you look at Aigis in P4A and P4AU, I'm sure she'd be quite different from anything that I can think of.
Tagging you here is kinda weird. You're the Demi-Fiend guy here basically, and we did get a Shin Megami Tensei rep in the end, but I haven't lurked around to see what your thoughts were. Still, I should point out how our conversation over a Persona character ended up being Hilarious in Hindsight. I think Joker's inclusion is a sign of what's to come, and certain characters I'm thinking of in my head just got their chances flying to the skies (but maybe Sakurai wants his choices to shoot for the moon, so the sky might not be enough, eh?).

No music licensing issues. In fact, it'd be extremely easy. Keiichi Okabe, the guy who wrote all of the music for NieR, has been making music for Smash as well way before Ultimate. It'd be easy for Sakurai to acquire the rights.
That's great to hear! Ever since Joker got confirmed, there's no point in supporting Demi-Fiend anymore, at least in terms of what we can deem a candidate for the Fighter's Pass. Therefore, my new list of Most-Wanted characters in order are KOS-MOS, Dante, Arturia, Reimu, and 2B. Let's hope for the best, NineS!

And now, for my closing thoughts... Wow, it's insane to think we finally got a Shin Megami Tensei rep in Super Smash Bros., and from the Persona series no less! As far as RPGs go, we've got almost everything in the Fantasy Kitchen Sink, varying genres included: Pokemon, Earthbound, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Final Fantasy, and now Shin Megami Tensei/Persona. I'm still at a loss for words.

This whole thing becomes a funny coincidence because we have Inklings playable, and the default female has been compared to Futaba and vice versa. Something about Joker being in the same game as her makes this hilarious. There's also another factor to consider for Joker's inclusion: We finally got ourselves the true Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem. Ha!

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Bah... Who am I kidding? I really want to make a ****post, but I'm too giddy over this game and the announcement from previously. Speaking of which, I'll be covering just that. Onto the good stuff before closing off with my own final thoughts! Of what, you may ask? Joker of course!

First, a HUGE congratulations to the Phandom! It must feel great getting your Most-Wanted in the roster. I can't even say, "Thank goodness it isn't Steve!" because that would be like comparing Joker to trash [smug, smug]
(I am kidding Luigi The President Luigi The President , have mercy on my 200 IQ soul).
Robertman2 Robertman2
@Xeno610
DarkAuraful DarkAuraful
Schnee117 Schnee117
NintenZ NintenZ
FamicomDisk FamicomDisk
@Sigr
amageish amageish
kirbsmash kirbsmash
Freduardo Freduardo
Seriously though, color me excited. I look forward to how they implement a Persona character in a Smash environment now, and three of my closest friends love the Persona franchise so they'll be picking up Joker, which just makes the Fighter's Pack that much more worth it as far as selections go.

Next is a retrospective into comments I already responded to. I feel like it's still worth bringing you two up. I will also include an unrelated third-party (no pun intended) at the end.

I still think they're visually similar, but as I've said in my original response, I would be A-OK with whichever Persona rep we'd get. Lo and behold, we got Joker. I was all smiles that night.

Tagging you here is kinda weird. You're the Demi-Fiend guy here basically, and we did get a Shin Megami Tensei rep in the end, but I haven't lurked around to see what your thoughts were. Still, I should point out how our conversation over a Persona character ended up being Hilarious in Hindsight. I think Joker's inclusion is a sign of what's to come, and certain characters I'm thinking of in my head just got their chances flying to the skies (but maybe Sakurai wants his choices to shoot for the moon, so the sky might not be enough, eh?).

That's great to hear! Ever since Joker got confirmed, there's no point in supporting Demi-Fiend anymore, at least in terms of what we can deem a candidate for the Fighter's Pass. Therefore, my new list of Most-Wanted characters in order are KOS-MOS, Dante, Arturia, Reimu, and 2B. Let's hope for the best, NineS!

And now, for my closing thoughts... Wow, it's insane to think we finally got a Shin Megami Tensei rep in Super Smash Bros., and from the Persona series no less! As far as RPGs go, we've got almost everything in the Fantasy Kitchen Sink, varying genres included: Pokemon, Earthbound, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Final Fantasy, and now Shin Megami Tensei/Persona. I'm still at a loss for words.

This whole thing becomes a funny coincidence because we have Inklings playable, and the default female has been compared to Futaba and vice versa. Something about Joker being in the same game has her makes this hilarious. There's also another factor to consider for Joker's inclusion: We finally got ourselves the true Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem. Ha!
I always knew it was gonna happen eventually.
I just hoped that when that time came... maybe Atlus would throw mainline a bone and get out those old-school roots like Konami.

You can only bet on an underdog for so long before you want to see your bets actually amount to something.

Anyway,
1. Doomslayer
2. Ryu Hayabusa
3. Dante
4. Nightmare.
All relevant.
All popular.
All in the public eye
All with a snowball's chance of winning.

I'm tired of being let down, ONE of these guys will take it.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Robertman2 Robertman2
@Xeno610
DarkAuraful DarkAuraful
Schnee117 Schnee117
NintenZ NintenZ
FamicomDisk FamicomDisk
@Sigran101
amageish amageish
kirbsmash kirbsmash
Freduardo Freduardo
>Congratulating people for Joker getting in
>Not congratulating the OG Joker fan here who got laughed at for his niche pick

:mad:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Make that "I don't know" and turn it into everybody doesn't know. Unless if you are a beyond die-hard fan of Fire Emblem I suppose, literally nobody knows what Three Houses is. The story, not even barely the gameplay combat, we only know there's three protagonists.

That's literally it. We at least knew stuff about Fates going into Corrin's reveal, not to mention the game already had come out during DLC and there was no confirmation of when DLC was chosen.

Negotiations for DLC were decided in most likely late October or when Sakurai actually said that negotiations were done, and by that time, we still don't know what Fire Emblem Three Houses is at all.

I'll say this, if Joker from Persona 5 is gonna be the first character to set the precedent for "unexpected" fighters, Edelgard or a Three Houses rep ain't it, because Nintendo probably knows the "we expect another Fire Emblem character" meme.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
>Congratulating people for Joker getting in
>Not congratulating the OG Joker fan here who got laughed at for his niche pick

:mad:
I can't believe I wasn't congratulated either. I've been here, supporting him since day 1 of Ultimate speculation! I think I deserve a little respect!

i'm not serious in case it wasn't clear please don't be mad at me for being rude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom