• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Also, to anyone trying to respond to by saying "X character is not used in promotion either" save your breath
If you're just gonna be rude because your "boi" isn't the only "popular"character who gets absolutely no promotion (see: Toon Link)...

If their not giving my boi any attention in promotion leading up to release relative to his actual recognition and influence, why should I (or anyone else for that matter) expect the same in-game, which if the Story Mode trailer is anything to go by, seems to be the case...
They are giving him promotion relative to his actual recognition and influence.

Noipoi

Howdy!
"Stop worrying over about a fictional character...... even if it's one that influenced your life greatly" You must be fun at parties...

Also, that CSS is only because of the OG 8 theme, which in comparison to them Yoshi is left in the dust still. If the starting characters didn't involve the OG 8, you'd think he'd be a starter?
Yoshi's always a starter, isn't he?
I think he'd still be there.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
"Stop worrying over about a fictional character...... even if it's one that influenced your life greatly" You must be fun at parties...
Well I don't think the rest of us let video game characters shape our entire lives drastically enough to dedicate our existence to them.

Potato_

Smash Lord
I missed page 6969 and 7777. Damn.

Something else that just occurred to me with the Square Enix character...what exactly was the method through which Sakurai got in touch with Nomura?

I just looked up the interview with the two of them, and it really seems as though those two discussed the idea. There weren't any higher ups involved in the initial discussion, but just Sakurai and Nomura.

The only reason I mention this is because, well, even if it's Square Enix getting another character, how do we know it's not Sakurai going through Nomura again? If that's the case, then either Neku or Sora might be looking pretty good right about now.

Well, Sora is always going to be probably the BIGGEST pick from Square at this point, but he's also probably the 3rd party with the most substantial hurdles to leap over.

I really do hope the Square Enix character is the one revealed at VGA, not because the wait is killing me but because I think it would simply be absolutely amazing for that event.

"Biggest crossover in gaming history. Oh, by the way, we're adding Sora"
If they do announce a character at the VGA's AND it's the Square rep like Vergeben seems to think (He's specifically stated the Square rep is the first DLC character) then I can't see it not being Sora.

You don't take a stage that big to announce Neku, sadly. You take that stage to announce someone literally EVERYONE watching will recognize.

For Square, the only reps that really reach that level of notoriety are Sora and to a much lesser extent 2B (and that's really only because her design got INCREDIBLY popular for a while).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yoshi's always a starter, isn't he?
I think he'd still be there.
He's in the original 12, so he's got immunity. The only reason why he'd get passed over in ads in some way would be due to a mix of sheer coincidence and staff ineptitude, and not because they got anything against the character. Also, it's kinda tough to give everyone attention the bigger the cast gets, but that's besides the point.

This reminds me, anyone remember when Sakurai had ambiguous phrasing in regards to Ness being in Smash when talking about Lucas in Brawl? Boy did people worry for nothing then.

Last edited:

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
Thinking about it and seeing how Nintendo picked the DLC, do you guys think a SE rep in the form of an Octopath Travelers character could be possible considering how well it's doing? Granted it'd be weird to see them be either 3D models or Mr. Game and Watch-esque, at the very least i'm surprised it didn't get a stage, AT, or something of the like.

Double K

Smash Lord

If they do announce a character at the VGA's AND it's the Square rep like Vergeben seems to think (He's specifically stated the Square rep is the first DLC character) then I can't see it not being Sora.

You don't take a stage that big to announce Neku, sadly. You take that stage to announce someone literally EVERYONE watching will recognize.

Literally a saga of Dragon Quest is named for him, his design is referenced everywhere and specifically DQ3 is used as a backdrop for at least 5 mainline games

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Thinking about it and seeing how Nintendo picked the DLC, do you guys think a SE rep in the form of an Octopath Travelers character could be possible considering how well it's doing? Granted it'd be weird to see them be either 3D models or Mr. Game and Watch-esque, at the very least i'm surprised it didn't get a stage, AT, or something of the like.
I could see that. They would definitely have a better render than the fake Agnes one that was seen earlier.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
On that note, I can't help but think that while Verg, Hitagi and company seem more or less accurate (right up to November 1st), something doesn't add up in what they said recently. I can't put my finger on why. Maybe it's the fact we don't know who the SE and Bamco characters are (if any), yet Minecraft content is somehow easier to find.

I dunno. I don't recall if DLC was leaked this early last time beyond Ryu being known literally a day before his reveal, not months earlier.
As I recall, the Ryu, Roy and Lucas trio were actually datamined months before they were leaked. It was decided to keep it a secret so the fanbase wouldn't get their fun spoiled for them.
I don't have a source for that, though. It's off of memory and I also read it again on this thread a while back.

D

Deleted member

As long as Sakurai is heading these games, the original 12 are safe. They'd only be in danger if the project lead changed or if Nintendo for some reason forced Sakurai to do something different. Even if there was a Director change, I still doubt the original 12 would be cut. They're too rooted in Smash's core identity at this point, there's absolutely no reason to get rid of any of them.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Nah, it's far too recent on top of not having a defined main character (unless you wanna do it the koopaling way or just pick Olberic)
I could see Bravely Default maybe?

NineS

Smash Lord
Lets be real though, if they asked Yoko Taro he'd pause and think of this as the trailer.

Pod 042: Thank you for viewing the Nier: Automata DLC trailer for Super Smash Brothers Ultimate, for the Nintendo Switch.

Pod 042: Please be warned, that this trailer may betray your expectations. Do you wish to view this?

[Yes]

Pod 042: The character you want, might not be shown. Knowing this, do you wish to continue?

[Yes]

Pod 042: Very well. Without further ado, we shall reveal the DLC character, for Super Smash Brothers Ultimate, for the Nintendo Switch.

He'd be my favorite character.
Hands down.
10/10, please nerf.

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
Nah, it's far too recent on top of not having a defined main character (unless you wanna do it the koopaling way or just pick Olberic)
I could see Bravely Default maybe?
Out of 8 characters if they picked the one swordsman I think I would lose it. lol

I could also see that^^

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As long as Sakurai is heading these games, the original 12 are safe. They'd only be in danger if the project lead changed or if Nintendo for some reason forced Sakurai to do something different. Even if there was a Director change, I still doubt the original 12 would be cut. They're too rooted in Smash's core identity at this point, there's absolutely no reason to get rid of any of them.
Kumazaki could be the best candidate for that, seeing how much he pours into his Kirby games. Wouldn't be shocked to see some "character bias" occur if he is picked, as well. :p

Besides, cutting Falcon would eliminate the only dignity his series has at this point, and that's no good.

As I recall, the Ryu, Roy and Lucas trio were actually datamined months before they were leaked. It was decided to keep it a secret so the fanbase wouldn't get their fun spoiled for them.
I don't have a source for that, though. It's off of memory and I also read it again on this thread a while back.
So the difference is that there's no datamining here, mostly just hearsay. We have really no way of knowing when or if the leakers are right anytime soon, that's annoying. Eh well, at least we can play games in the meantime.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord

For Square, the only reps that really reach that level of notoriety are Sora and to a much lesser extent 2B (and that's really only because her design got INCREDIBLY popular for a while).
They could also announce a Bethesda character. That's big enough for something like the Game Awards as well.

D

Deleted member

I have no idea what you're talking about. Yoshi has been on the verge of being cut since Brawl.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
Something else that just occurred to me with the Square Enix character...what exactly was the method through which Sakurai got in touch with Nomura?

I just looked up the interview with the two of them, and it really seems as though those two discussed the idea. There weren't any higher ups involved in the initial discussion, but just Sakurai and Nomura.

The only reason I mention this is because, well, even if it's Square Enix getting another character, how do we know it's not Sakurai going through Nomura again? If that's the case, then either Neku or Sora might be looking pretty good right about now.

Well, Sora is always going to be probably the BIGGEST pick from Square at this point, but he's also probably the 3rd party with the most substantial hurdles to leap over.

I really do hope the Square Enix character is the one revealed at VGA, not because the wait is killing me but because I think it would simply be absolutely amazing for that event.

"Biggest crossover in gaming history. Oh, by the way, we're adding Sora"
It's kind of a moot point if Nintendo are the ones providing the characters for Sakurai to pick. I wanted Sora for a really long time since Brawl, but I'm not optimistic about his chances at this point.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It's the April Fools event, Big Bad Shadow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzO17ahkvAw
I play the game.

The April Fools Day event literally has the gag manga world and the real game world cross over.
Oh, I get it now. Thanks for the heads up.

He wouldn't talk in a strong, caveman voice if he talked at all, right, because I can imagine him saying something like "Macho Vyrn squash puny electric mouse!" if he were in Smash Bros Ultimate.

Double K

Smash Lord
Oh, I get it now. Thanks for the heads up.

He wouldn't talk in a strong, caveman voice if he talked at all, right, because I can imagine him saying something like "Macho Vyrn squash puny electric mouse!" if he were in Smash Bros Ultimate.
Nah, Vyrn, even in the gag event has his usual country accent and high-pitched voice (as expected of Rie Kugimiya!)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Nah, Vyrn, even in the gag event has his usual country accent and high-pitched voice (as expected of Rie Kugimiya!)
I see. To me, it would kinda be funny if he talked like that, not in his own game, but in Smash. But hey, I haven't played the game, so what do I know?

D

Deleted member

Since this is Smash-related, THE SERIES IS until ultimate drops NOW COMPLETE.

MADLAD HAS DONE IT.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I ****ing hope so. Cyrus would be lit

Potato_

Smash Lord

Literally a saga of Dragon Quest is named for him, his design is referenced everywhere and specifically DQ3 is used as a backdrop for at least 5 mainline games
is that Erdrick I'm sorry I don't know Dragon Quest like at ALL

I do think a Dragon Quest rep is possible but I don't know how likely he is. It's no doubt a giant in Japan and does have some outside recognition and fame.

They could also announce a Bethesda character. That's big enough for something like the Game Awards as well.
It is, but I'm specifically saying if Vergeben's claims about Square being first are true.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom