• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Imagine the uproar if Funky was added over Dixie.
A friend of mine unironically wants Funky. But ONLY if he rides a Flame Runner
Nintendo's actions make sense, but one example is a build-up of similar transgressions while the other is a relatively isolated incident. I'm not judging the actions of either here past the fact they aren't exactly on equal footing.

But yeah, thanks. The first part was really all I was touching on. I guess I was just thinking out loud, because I already kinda knew the answer.

I'm not saying it greatly benefits them to keep it in either. Either way, the overall impact will be minimal.

This almost implies I wouldn't take issue with a movie being banned for making fun of religion.

But thanks for presuming my mindset.

Unfortunately that's just sort of where we're at nowadays. The radicalized voices speak the loudest.
The reason I brought up Life of Brian being banned because of people being incredibly sensitive was to show "This generation isn't any more sensitive than the last in contrary to what people lead on" though

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
To be fair, Snake and Bayonetta use realistic weapons in their movesets.
To be fairer, neither of them are really "normal" weapons.
Snake uses military explosives which have a whimsy to them and Bayonetta shoots neon bullets with bright toy-colored guns from her feet.

Compare that to something like:

And there's a pretty big difference.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Look, I'm not a mod anymore, but none seem to be here right now. I suggest we drop the talk of G&W's changes for the time being, we stop trying to antagonize each other or other people, and we just focus on other aspects of Smash.
Agreed. Let's instead talk about how there is absolutely no hope for DLC now just because Sakurai wanted to clarify things and wasn't fond of people spamming his Twitter with requests. lol

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Please drop the "racist" conversation. We're looking into the best way to deal with the situation.

Besides that, please don't double post. Edit your messages instead.

Likewise, no media-only replies please.

NineS

Smash Lord
I've already said my piece on the matter. I'll just sit back and watch people lose their minds.
I lost my mind ages ago.
Speaking of which, have you seen it around anywhere? I've been searching for it for years now.
To be fair, Snake and Bayonetta use realistic weapons in their movesets.
They don't really use real guns though.
Snake isn't allowed to use them in smash, and Bayonetta uses magical witch heel guns.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
Ah sorry I might have miss counted, also I did not include remasters as that is a separate list.
Ya I figure I just put Re-Chain there cause let's be honest that's the one people consistently bring up the most when talking about chain of memories. Well that and the GBA game vs the PS2 game are basically completely different games in every sense of the word apart from a story stand point.

Calane

Smash Ace
You mean like Incineroar's revenge move?

Also I'm sorry but those gifs really don't do Erdrick any favors. Like, the attacks just look boring. If characters need to "dance" for them to get in to Smash Bros, then based on those gifs alone I don't give Erdrick good chances.
Incineroar's revenge move is more like a counterattack. Tension would be something you could just build whenever you wanted. It'd be sort of like building Limit with cloud, but it'd most likely have a short animation that you probably couldn't cancel. You would be able to stack it four times before reaching max tension, making your next attack (magic or physical) extremely devastating. I think it'd be pretty unique, at least.

And the gifs are really just there to give a visual to what I'm talking about. No need to be rude, my dude.

Is this cool enough for you?

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
To be fairer, neither of them are really "normal" weapons.
Snake uses military explosives which have a whimsy to them and Bayonetta shoots neon bullets with bright toy-colored guns from her feet.

Compare that to something like:

And there's a pretty big difference.
There's whimsy in stuff like C4 and grenades?

Well I guess you can shape plastic explosives and cook off them.
And grenades are basically avocadoes with a ring, ready to propose to you.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I lost my mind ages ago.
Speaking of which, have you seen it around anywhere? I've been searching for it for years now.

They don't really use real guns though.
Snake isn't allowed to use them in smash, and Bayonetta uses magical witch heel guns.
Check the desert zone. I think I found a few minds there.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
You mean like Incineroar's revenge move?

Also I'm sorry but those gifs really don't do Erdrick any favors. Like, the attacks just look boring. If characters need to "dance" for them to get in to Smash Bros, then based on those gifs alone I don't give Erdrick good chances.
I feel like people often take the "characters need to dance in my head" point in the wrong way. It doesn't mean that the character has to be incredibly expressive or animated, it's just a way for Sakurai to say that he needs to be able to envision exactly how they'd move and work in Smash, as soon as it clicks for him then he knows he can put them in, if it doesn't then he won't go ahead with it (like with Pac-Man in Brawl for example).

Basically it's not something we can read much from as it's just Sakurai's own interpretation of things, although I imagine Erdrick would be a piece of cake for him in this regard compared to some of the characters we already have.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Agreed. Let's instead talk about how there is absolutely no hope for DLC now just because Sakurai wanted to clarify things and wasn't fond of people spamming his Twitter with requests. lol
I do feel bad for Sakurai that never before in the history of Smash did he need to ask people to stop tweeting requests at him until now. In English, no less. The sheer volume of replies must've been incomprehensibly overwhelming.

Also something else to make us feel guilty, the tweet about the DLC characters being chosen was in both English and Japanese. The one where he asks for people to stop bothering him... just English. Yikes. :/

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Sakurai still had the final say on DLC it seems, but if Nintendo had a large enough say(which honestly why would we expect anything different?), I wonder if this does change anything in any substantial way.

Base roster is clean enough on it's own, and the only character I'd really want is another Mega Man character, preferably Mega Man X.

If the characters are mostly promotional, I know throwing in another FE character is gonna be fairly boring on paper, and people would be salty, which leads to others being salty about their salt and so on.

But on the other hand, he's got a chance.

There's also Elma and Dixie Kong too. Maybe B. Dee or Poochy if you want more sidekicks.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai still had the final say on DLC it seems, but if Nintendo had a large enough say(which honestly why would we expect anything different?), I wonder if this does change anything in any substantial way.

Base roster is clean enough on it's own, and the only character I'd really want is another Mega Man character, preferably Mega Man X.

If the characters are mostly promotional, I know throwing in another FE character is gonna be fairly boring on paper, and people would be salty, which leads to others being salty about their salt and so on.

But on the other hand, he's got a chance.

There's also Elma and Dixie Kong too. Maybe B. Dee or Poochy if you want more sidekicks.
I'd root for Sylux. More Metroid is always awesome!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
There's whimsy in stuff like C4 and grenades?

Well I guess you can shape plastic explosives and cook off them.
And grenades are basically avocadoes with a ring, ready to propose to you.
Yeah, actually.
Dunno if you've noticed but you never see Wiley Coyote pull out an AK-47 and gun down the roadrunner, but he has tried to blow him up with TNT multiple times, (usually blowing himself up in the process.)

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Yeah, actually.
Dunno if you've noticed but you never see Wiley Coyote pull out an AK-47 and gun down the roadrunner, but he has tried to blow him up with TNT multiple times, usually blowing himself up in the process.
The dude can’t even get a slingshot that doesn’t turn on him.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I feel like people often take the "characters need to dance in my head" point in the wrong way. It doesn't mean that the character has to be incredibly expressive or animated, it's just a way for Sakurai to say that he needs to be able to envision exactly how they'd move and work in Smash, as soon as it clicks for him then he knows he can put them in, if it doesn't then he won't go ahead with it (like with Pac-Man in Brawl for example).

Basically it's not something we can read much from as it's just Sakurai's own interpretation of things, although I imagine Erdrick would be a piece of cake for him in this regard compared to some of the characters we already have.
Yeah, Sakurai was able to make a toy Robot that can't do anything but rotate its body and clamp gyros dance in his head, so I really don't think that argument really rules out a lot of characters.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Quick question.
What if Agumon was a DLC newcomer?

And he looked like this?
It works. It makes him look easy enough to animate. I wouldn't have an issue with funny hats/hair for his alts. I'd like colors based upon his official alts instead, but I'm not that picky. As much as I love ToyAgumon, getting Agumon in alone is amazing~

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I do feel bad for Sakurai that never before in the history of Smash did he need to ask people to stop tweeting requests at him until now. In English, no less. The sheer volume of replies must've been incomprehensibly overwhelming.

Also something else to make us feel guilty, the tweet about the DLC characters being chosen was in both English and Japanese. The one where he asks for people to stop bothering him... just English. Yikes. :/
Its a shame some people don't realize how much work this man has put into this game. He even hints at how tired he is by saying " I wonder if ill ever get to take a break". It was in a joking manner, but it was also a statement of how much work he has done. And then to be flooded by requests and people unsatisfied with how he chose characters or might choose characters. It sad that he had to resort to what he did.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Yeah, actually.
Dunno if you've noticed but you never see Wiley Coyote pull out an AK-47 and gun down the roadrunner, but he has tried to blow him up with TNT multiple times, (usually blowing himself up in the process.)
The history behind that kind of stuff is actually sort of interesting. There were so many rules for how characters could be portrayed, the number one rule for those characters in particular was that the Coyote could never actually touch the Roadrunner. They could never make physical contact, which also meant that the Roadrunner could never directly harm the Coyote either.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Yeah, actually.
Dunno if you've noticed but you never see Wiley Coyote pull out an AK-47 and gun down the roadrunner, but he has tried to blow him up with TNT multiple times, usually blowing himself up in the process.
I've seen him use a hunting rifle but I guess guns like that and what other Looney Tunes use aren't held in the same regard as an AK-47. Though is that to do with the nature of the gun or that it's easy to recognise an AK-47?

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I don't mean to bring back any racist discussion, but I really hope the feather is replaced by a bandana. It would look cool without angering people. There could just be a little tie from the back of the bandana where the feather once was. Plus, we'd get two bandana users in smash if DLC goes well!

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I believe you mean Team Skull, the best evil team in all Pokemon.
I hope you're referring to the real Team Skull with that statement.

Chaw-haw-haw!

Heh-heh-heh!

Whoa-ho-ho!

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Are you sure it's not your bedtime?
Actually it is, was just checking real quick to see whats up.. Unfortunately, it wasnt what I hoped to see. I'll be back when the conversation is more interesting.. This Game and Watch stuff doesn not interest me in the least for its just negativity.. Gee people need to learn to laugh more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom