• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Take this with some salt, but there might be a direct/mini direct soon
There MIGHT be a very small chance of some smash dlc being discussed

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Recent trends in Zelda resulted with Breath of the Wild, even though they weren't the best. Pattern recognition is not the best way of predicting the future all the time.
Agreed. This isn't geometry: you can't take two data points and predict where the line will go from here on out. Especially with Nintendo, where (save for Pokemon and Mario Kart) franchises are crazy unpredictable sometimes. Who would've thought we'd get Piranha Plant in Smash? Did anyone predict Super Mario Galaxy?

D

Deleted member

Yeah, well those Zelda games were good. People are just mean.
This. Though I admit, going back to older Zelda titles after BOTW feels a bit odd now lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Regardless, signs point to thursday, so we won't have long to find out how much of this is true.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
If she is in, then it would be in Season 2 of DLC if does happen.

Besides, the hunky Vaseraga would my choice of newcomer instead.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Mate, you are aware of the recent trend with Star Fox games, no?
Zero was a good game aside once you got past the gimmicky controls, which while admittedly a huge detractor shouldn't be an issue in Switch era Nintendo.

You could make an argument about its story as many of uts critics do, but who plays Starfox games for their deep and compelling story lines?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Agreed. This isn't geometry: you can't take two data points and predict where the line will go from here on out. Especially with Nintendo, where (save for Pokemon and Mario Kart) franchises are crazy unpredictable sometimes. Who would've thought we'd get Piranha Plant in Smash? Did anyone predict Super Mario Galaxy?
I know, right? And thank the lords for that, because Smash additions are typically more interesting and a bit less on the safe side than Mario Kart ones.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
This. Though I admit, going back to older Zelda titles after BOTW feels weird odd now lol.
I kinda consider comparing BotW to other Zelda's to be like comparing apples to oranges. Breath of the Wild is just such a large departure from the series in pretty much every aspect. Not that it's a bad thing, I love BotW, I just think comparing it to other Zelda's is pointless.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Just after Sakurai stated that they are beginning to work on DLC that isn't Piranha Plant? It's one thing if this was coming in December after Smash Bros is out, but this month just after the last Direct?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
For that matter, did anyone predict cat suits or FLUDD or cel-shaded cartoon Zelda or a first-person Metroid or the goddamned Wii?

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
If there is really a second direct in November, that will just add AGAIN more credibility to Spawn-Wave who was the first one to talk about it back in mind-october.
And if we ever get Metroid Prime 4 news during said Direct....MMMMMMMM, I can feel that DLC announcement at the VGA.
Honestly I still really want some Bayonetta 3 news. We have seen nothing about that or Metroid since they were announced. They might be a ways off still but it would be nice to see something on them

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I kinda consider comparing BotW to other Zelda's to be like comparing apples to oranges. Breath of the Wild is just such departure from the series in pretty much every aspect. Not that it's a bad thing, I love BotW, I just think comparing it to other Zelda's is pointless.
Exactly.

Which is why I usually tell people that my favourite Zelda game is Twilight Princess, even though I do like BOTW more. I don't really consider it as a part of the others sometimes...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

While still unknown, the idea of a F-Zero reveal being teased on the Story Mode trailer for Ultimate is likely.

They did the same with Luigi’s Mansion.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
yeah, we talked about it a few pages agop and boi, it was a NICE surprise.
I figured I just missed it :p

I can't wait to see what kind of games get refrenced through Spirits matches. I'm already excited to see the Chibi-Robo match (Tiny Rob on Living Room Stage, trying to clean up?)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Since this whole Steve, Katalina and DQ character might not be a thing. Here's my new prediction for DLC.

-Bandana Dee
-Banjo-Kazooie or Steve
-Elma
-Rayman
-Sora

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
So where is all this talk about a direct coming from guys? Did something leak? Did some insider have something new to say?

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Im not sure what people's aversion to Katalina even is honestly. She looks interesting imo
The idea of a "Mobile Game" character getting in.

Anyway, I think she looks fine too and wouldn't mind her getting in.

Last edited:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Just after Sakurai stated that they are beginning to work on DLC that isn't Piranha Plant? It's one thing if this was coming in December after Smash Bros is out, but this month just after the last Direct?
While I don't think it likely I don't think it's impossible to talk about at least the first character without needing to show anything from it. Like just say we are working on [blank] and show a render from the series it comes from for visual aid

Gks1

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
0697-2103-4616
I think that they don't show any new about Smash if we have a new Direct.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
While I don't think it likely I don't think it's impossible to talk about at least the first character without needing to show anything from it. Like just say we are working on [blank] and show a render from the series it comes from for visual aid
Or show an anime sequence related to the character.

Sigh, to think they didn't have time to do anything but CGI cutscenes this time...

Im not sure what people's aversion to Katalina even is honestly. She looks interesting imo
I would love to see her come with that outfit that shows some skin, but not too much, and it also looks visually interesting to boot for a sword user.

Last edited:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627

I would be fine with it myself. Not what I would want but not something I would be against either. It's not like it would be dragging mobile game systems over with it

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
It is quite unfortunate that she's disliked by so many people. I think she'd be fun. :)
I don't particularly care who's in or not as long as we have Shrek. As far as Katalina goes, I think it's because of the "literally who?" aspect. I say that as someone who, when I see her name, literally says "who?". I have no idea who Katalina is, or what game he's from, or what that game is on, or who made it, or anything. I, like a lot of people, am about as familiar with Katalina as I am with mid-1400s agricultural techniques in the Amazon Basin.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If there is really a second direct in November, that will just add AGAIN more credibility to Spawn-Wave who was the first one to talk about it back in mind-october.
And if we ever get Metroid Prime 4 news during said Direct....MMMMMMMM, I can feel that DLC announcement at the VGA.
Hopefully that's the case, I don't want to have to watch the VGA with the Prime 4 rumors swirling around it, but I absolutely need to see the game's reveal live, no matter how much cringe I have to sit through. I can deal with missing a DLC character announcement, it's unlikely it'll have a full CG trailer anyways.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I'm still definitely incline to believe Sora maybe announced at the VGA in commemoration for Kingdom Hearts III.
Guys. I know it seems likely that Sora might get in at the VGAs.

But don't raise your hopes too high.

It's always good to keep your expectations at bay just it case in doesn't work out the way you think it will.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I could see Sora being announced in conjunction with the story so far bundle getting a Switch port. There's really no reason why most of the games on that bundle couldn't run fine on Switch

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
For me personally, it's because I have absolutely no connection to the character or her franchise whatsoever. I didn't even know who she was until she was brought up in Smash speculation.

Regardless of how unique Katalina could be, I really don't think she's an appropriate choice for Smash DLC. Having moveset potential isn't the only factor that should dictate who gets in Smash. Popularity and iconicness should also be taken into account, and frankly, Katalina has neither of those.

Last edited:

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253

Mario, Steve, Pikachu, and Sonic are all both console and mobile game Characters.

People need to get over themselves.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Hmmm I think this would be my personal best time line outcome for DLC...
  1. Geno
  2. Banjo Kazooie
  3. Rayman
  4. Crash Bandicoot
  5. Ryu Hayabusa
Yup, that's my perfect outcome for DLC.

Creme de la creme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom